Karma's a *****

BBC News - Apple's iOS 5 upgrade causing problems

One member of the public, Brian Daynes, emailed the BBC to explain the issues he had experienced.

"Have got the error message 1611. When I contacted my provider Orange, they in turn contacted Apple, and were told that the Error 1611 is a hardware fault and is in no means related to the update process of iOS 5.

"On being told this Orange want to now charge me �150 for a new iPhone," he wrote

"I am very upset over this, as I know full well that if I had not updated the phone, it would be in perfect working order today as I write this email," he added.

At the time of writing, Apple had not responded to requests for comment.
    Yes, BIS may have completely crashed chipping away our faith in our otherwise solid performing Blackberries but at least it didn't cost us money to fix....

Just hope RIM will invest more into their server farms so this doesn't happen again
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-13-11 02:32 PM
    Ah, yes they do:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-error-444965/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...repair-467507/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rchase-460199/

Bricked from an officially released OS. It's a main reason I left Blackberry.

If the iPhone people also lost all their device data, I'd see why they're upset. It's pretty unacceptable to me.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-13-11 at 02:43 PM.
    10-13-11 02:40 PM
    Should have mentioned from OS6 upwards, still I don't think its been as widespread or bad enough to warrant a news story....
    10-13-11 02:44 PM
    No, It only happened to 9630 owners on VZW. So not as widespread for sure. I'd be annoyed at Apple if that happened. However, I am glad to see more back up and restore options available now .
    10-13-11 02:46 PM
    Karma's a *****

BBC News - Apple's iOS 5 upgrade causing problems

Yes, BIS may have completely crashed chipping away our faith in our otherwise solid performing Blackberries but at least it didn't cost us money to fix....

Just hope RIM will invest more into their server farms so this doesn't happen again
    I knew this crap would happen, the minute that Blackberry's servers were fixed. Some ***** directs their sarcasm at Apple, instead of the problem in Slough, U.K., where it belongs!
    10-13-11 02:49 PM
    Another quote from the article. Lain Mackenzie BBC tech reporter says:
    News
    Wednesday night's attempts to update the iPhone were a dead loss as the global rush to download iOS 5 overwhelmed Apple's servers.

Like many users, my computer reached a certain stage then threw back a variety of error codes, including the now infamous 3200, which was trending on Twitter.

The day ended without success. In fact my iPhone was rendered temporarily useless - stuck in restore mode, but without the ability to restore.

For anyone needing to make urgent calls this would have been very bad news.

The problems were cleared-up by Thursday morning - presumably because most of the US was asleep.

Both the iPhone and iPad updated successfully, although the backup and restore process still took an incredibly long time.

It is a mark of users' appetite for new features that this happened - global net traffic spiked according to some measures.

However, Apple will be under pressure to beef-up its systems for future updates, especially as the number of iPhone and iPad owners continues to grow.
    The guy's phone gets bricked, its completely f**king unusable and he is still going ga ga over how much the IP4 sold that they crashed Apple's server. Unbelievable...these guys are completely hypnotised. BB's just get of the mails but are still functional phones and these tech reporters go nugs.
    10-13-11 02:49 PM
    Wife's iPhone lost all her calendar entries on one update, and it loses her email settings on every update. My worst BB update experience was losing all my 3rd party apps (due to a UFU), which at least was recoverable. Her calendar entries were gone forever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 02:51 PM
    I've never lost any info when doing updates, and I downloaded and installed iOS from Apple flawlessly yesterday (even though I was already running iOS 5 GM, I decided to get the one directly pushed from Apple).
    10-13-11 02:54 PM
    Losing all the data on my device is one of my biggest wireless fears!
    10-13-11 02:56 PM
    Coming from a former Sidekick user, it's not fun!!!
    10-13-11 02:59 PM
    Backup your phone?

10-13-11 03:10 PM
    While BBOS is also prone to errors from upgrades (QNX seems much better so far), I have had my 1G iPod Touch brick after every single update its gotten. Pretty sad considering a basically plug and play. While a BBOS install may be more complex and take time(I'm talking a manual install, not OTA or with DM), I can whip out a backup-wipe-install-restore way before I can fix a bricked iPod. I'm glad that's done with updates...

10-13-11 03:13 PM
    Backup your phone?

Everything is synced OTA with Google now. When I had a.Blackberry there was no Blackberry Protect. I don't own a computer so my backups were sometimes old.

I'll keep using Google Sync no matter what platform I use, Andorra, BlackBerry and iPhone.
    10-13-11 03:15 PM
    Doesn't anyone back up their phones? And mine didn't brick, updated just fine.
    10-13-11 03:18 PM
    Wife's iPhone lost all her calendar entries on one update, and it loses her email settings on every update. My worst BB update experience was losing all my 3rd party apps (due to a UFU), which at least was recoverable. Her calendar entries were gone forever.

Doesn't iTunes automatically do a backup before an update?
    10-13-11 03:22 PM
    Doesn't anyone back up their phones? And mine didn't brick, updated just fine.
    In the same vein,don't people use computers to access e-mail anymore?
    That's for all the people who crying murder when the email on BBs was disrupted.
    10-13-11 03:23 PM
    Nope. Haven't had a computer since 1999. They're so old fashioned..
    10-13-11 03:25 PM
    However, I'll admit it, I'm not a bigger person.

I'm having a slight schadenfreude moment right now.

Honestly, I hope Apple rectifies the problem for all who've had their phone bricked.
    10-13-11 03:30 PM
    In the same vein,don't people use computers to access e-mail anymore?
    That's for all the people who crying murder when the email on BBs was disrupted.
    It's kind of hard to use a computer if you are on your feet a lot. But I am sure people found ways to cope with the situation. Many people were well aware of the outage as well so I am sure some of them expected to receive responses to emails late.
    10-13-11 03:30 PM
    BlackBerry Protect rocks!
    10-13-11 05:46 PM
    Doesn't iTunes automatically do a backup before an update?
    We thought it did! She got her apps, but calendar was hosed. And apparently it doesn't backup email server settings. At least not reliably.
    10-13-11 06:06 PM
    Vodafone UK has suffered multiple/many self bricked 9900's
    with the dreaded unrecoverable JAVA ERROR... when this error
    presents itself (usually due to carrier branding/playing with custom firmware)
    there is zero u can do to repair it, its DEAD, return it to vendor for replacement.

in the uk vodafone has hundreds of such devices replaced during launch
    a few weeks ago... the 9900 was a suicidal turkey...
    K Bear likes this.
    10-14-11 12:52 AM
    Wife's iPhone lost all her calendar entries on one update, and it loses her email settings on every update.
    If you password encrypt the backup (it's a checkbox in iTunes), the e-mail settings will persist.
    10-14-11 12:55 AM
    Um, my 9900 just $%^# itself re-booting a few minutes ago. I eventually got it to come back to life, but all my emails and SMS messages are gone.

Glasshouse. Stone.
    10-14-11 01:08 AM
    My iTouch updated just fine. An hour after Apple opened up the update servers. Took a while to download cause of the conjestion and my crappy rural internet connection, but no issues. I removed my ActiveSync account from my device before I updated, like a smarty :P

Who stores all their data on device anymore? Oh... wait...

Lol.
    10-14-11 01:40 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD