Have owned a Z10 for 3 years. Want an upgrade. Not a heavy user. Mainly phone, text, etc. My carrier - both phones $0.00. Which would be better for my purpose? Tnx.
    Well, either would work for you. It's more of a question Do you want to learn a new OS now..or in a couple years? The writing has been on the wall for quite some time that bb10 is going nowhere anytime soon if at all. So the leap will get you buy for a couple years based on your use...by then you may have no choice but switch it up and go to android. Personally I would make the move now.
    09-13-16 10:46 PM
    If I was buying a new phone (by virtue of locking in with a carrier contract) I'd want some sort of upgrade. What's the point in buying what is essentially the same phone again? Especially when it is becoming less and less useful by the day (browser, apps, etc.).

Get the DTEK from the carrier, sell it, then keep on using your Z10 if you prefer the BB10 experience. Or try to find a Z30.
    09-13-16 11:04 PM
    If I was the one who's coming from a Z10, I'd get the DTEK50 as an upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 12:46 AM
    The Leap is very nice and much, much faster than an Android.
    09-14-16 10:11 AM
    The Leap is very nice and much, much faster than an Android.
    I have both, and the DTEK50 blows it out of the water speed-wise. The Leap is a nice phone, but it feels like it was dipped in molasses.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-14-16 10:22 AM
    I have both, and the DTEK50 blows it out of the water speed-wise. The Leap is a nice phone, but it feels like it was dipped in molasses.
    It's faster without any Android apps.
    09-14-16 04:25 PM
    It's faster without any Android apps.
    Not a hope.

PRIV STV100-1/AAG191 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG326 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    09-14-16 04:27 PM
    What about security wise?
    09-14-16 05:06 PM
    What about security wise?
    Describe what you mean by security. This is an enormous topic.
    09-14-16 05:47 PM
    Describe what you mean by security. This is an enormous topic.
    Which phone offers more security from hackers, virus?
    09-14-16 06:01 PM
    Which phone offers more security from hackers, virus?
    Both phones protect against root, and system files are scanned for integrity.

From the shear breadth of apps available on Android, exposure to malware/viruses is higher of course, but sensible usage will protect you more than anything. I've never had an issue on either platform in that respect.
    09-14-16 07:38 PM
    Not a hope.

PRIV STV100-1/AAG191 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG326 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    OP says he uses it for calls and texting.

I also use my Leap for basic business use and it is far better than any Android loaded with bloatware and all the usual crap.
    09-15-16 08:48 AM
    OP says he uses it for calls and texting.

I also use my Leap for basic business use and it is far better than any Android loaded with bloatware and all the usual crap.
    That's correct - that is what the OP stated That's why I told him either would perform that function perfectly fine.

You changed the discussion to which one was faster. This is what I was responding to.

While your use of the words bloat and crap when referring to Android are provocative, they diminish your argument.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-15-16 08:55 AM
    I don't understand why people think the OS they don't use has to suck for the OS they prefer to be great.

I love BB10 for what it does better than Android, but that doesn't require Android to be a bad OS. In fact, it's becoming a very compelling and mature OS in my opinion. It just doesn't have the same strengths and weaknesses as BB10, which I prefer.
    Bbnivende and TgeekB like this.
    09-15-16 09:09 AM
    I get what you guys are saying, but, seeing as they already have a phone with BB10 and don't appear to have any complaints with it or any app issues along with using it mainly for basic communication purposes, keeping the Leap open as a low cost option isn't an awful idea. If they can get the Dtek50 for free, that's great! But if not, they maybe paying for more than they need.

Out of curiosity, in hindsight, seeing as how BB10, and possibly BB phones, are fading to black- how many out there regret having bought one in the first place?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 09:11 AM
    That's correct - that is what the OP stated That's why I told him either would perform that function perfectly fine.

You changed the discussion to which one was faster. This is what I was responding to.

While your use of the words bloat and crap when referring to Android are provocative, they diminish your argument.

So. Out of box, for text and calls and basic use (no Android apps), the Leap is fastest.

There it is.
    09-15-16 10:13 AM
    So. Out of box, for text and calls and basic use (no Android apps), the Leap is fastest.

There it is.
    I disagree entirely with that comment. The old S4 can't touch the 617. Zipping around is much quicker with the DTEK50.

I'm not dissing BB10 at all, as I still like it, but it's no match for any newer Android device (performance wise).
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-15-16 11:52 AM
    Speaking as a huge fan of BB10 and awesome devices like the Q10 and Z30 ...I would have to recommend the DTEK50.

If there was a clear roadmap, or even any map at all, for the future of BB10, I would feel differently. In the absence of that, suggesting a (potentially) obsolete platform, as great as it is, would be reckless.

I just bought a Priv for my wife on the weekend to replace her beloved Z30 which developed a screen problem. I have been immediately impressed with the quality of the hardware, the life of the battery, the BB10 features which have been ported or re-imagined for use on Android, the speed of operation, the virtual and physical keyboards, and the ready availability of a lot of quality apps.

Our biggest concern, however, was having the BlackBerry security features to plug holes in what can be a leaky environment. I feel confident that the level of security is good. Privacy may be another issue with how integrated it is with the Alphabet company, though thankfully that is controllable, if desired, by restricting permissions, with the tradeoff of giving up handy features Google provides.

From all accounts, the DTEK50 is an excellent choice for a former Z30 user who doesn't need a physical keyboard.

Q10  OS 10.3.1.2474  Z30
    09-15-16 12:55 PM
    DTEK50. The Leap will be a side-grade to your Z10.
    09-15-16 01:50 PM
    Get DTEK50. BB10 is great but it will eventually stop updating.
    09-15-16 03:07 PM
    Been a loyal fan to BB but I think DTEK50 is better.
    09-18-16 10:27 PM
    I want to say get a Z30. Better hardware than a leap and it'll run BB10...

But at the same time the "smart" option would be to get a dtek as it's newer and will receive updates.

That plus my Priv is pretty good coming from a passport. I really appreciate what BlackBerry has done with android. I just hope they continue to improve it.

Sent from my Passport
    09-18-16 11:01 PM
    So what you are really facing here is an ecosystem choice: stay with BB10 and replace your existing Z10 with a similar but better Leap...

...or make the jump to android.

If you are going to leave BB10, I would cast a wider net and look at the iPhone SE, Moto G/E, and Lumia 950 to see which ecosystem you like the best.

At its price, I don't find the dtek a compelling choice. It doesn't offer the security of a Blackphone and blackberry droid interface items are available on other droids now.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 08:04 AM
    At its price, I don't find the dtek a compelling choice. It doesn't offer the security of a Blackphone and blackberry droid interface items are available on other droids now.

Posted via CB10
    You picked the one phone on the planet with better security, and to be fair, it's not exactly a mainstream choice. At $799 US, the BlackPhone 2 is not exactly a good value.

Plus, the HUB+ Suite for other Androids is missing many of the key UI elements that I use the most on my Priv and DTEK50.
    09-19-16 08:33 AM
49 12