Weve worked 12 years since the launch of BlackBerry to win the trust of 70 million BlackBerry subscribers, and were going to fully commit to win that trust back, he said. We plan to come back to these customers very, very soon."
    He seems to imply with the last line that the almighty RIMpire will strike back soon. I hope he keeps to his word there. I firmly believe RIM is capable of smashing Apple, Google & Microsoft in the face with QNX, upcoming devices and other things up their sleeves.

What do you think is on the horizon for RIM?
    10-15-11 02:02 AM
    Yup we should believe RIM CEOs. They tell the truth.
    10-15-11 05:13 AM
    He seems to imply with the last line that the almighty RIMpire will strike back soon. I hope he keeps to his word there. I firmly believe RIM is capable of smashing Apple, Google & Microsoft in the face with QNX, upcoming devices and other things up their sleeves.

What do you think is on the horizon for RIM?
    What he's implying is that RIM has failed and he hopes to bring it back. Tall order at this stage of the game. No one can completely write them off until the QNX phones finally come out. But they're so far behind the curve at this point that the hole they've dug themselves might be too deep. Apple probably sold another million phones today, and look around the forums. Many of them were sold to (former) BB users.
    10-15-11 05:43 AM
    I certainly hope that RIM is able to strike back. I would like nothing more than to see BlackBerrys riding high again.

OS7 is really no more than an extension of OS6. It is more of the same but slightly better. This is a good thing because if you are not looking to your phone to be a major games machine, then the BlackBerry OS is the tops for reliability, security and ease of use. There is also a wide range of models with more or less the same user interface. This is a great advantage for a phone maker.

I feel however that whilst QNX phones hold great promise, the first version of a QNX phone is a very risky move for RIM. It is essential that RIM do not repeat the debacle of the Storm 1 launch with QNX. If that happens, it will pretty much be game over.

The media and much of the public like to bash RIM right now and the bashing is far out of proportion to what RIM deserves. This is why I say the new QNX products MUST be more or less bug free from day one. There is no room for errors like Storm 1 or omissions like the lack of native email on the PlayBook.
    10-15-11 05:44 AM
    i've been hearing "we're going to blow your mind REALLY SOON WE PROMISE K GUYS?" for about 5 years now... it's always just around the corner. also i don't really think RIM can be called reliable or that their reliability is a mainstay for them. BIS goes down more than any other service i've ever used, hotmail, mobileme, gmail, yahoo, bis is by far the least reliable service offered in mobile phones today.
    Last edited by katiepea; 10-15-11 at 05:53 AM.
    10-15-11 05:50 AM
    i've been hearing "we're going to blow your mind REALLY SOON WE PROMISE K GUYS?" for about 5 years now... it's always just around the corner. also i don't really think RIM can be called reliable or that their reliability is a mainstay for them. BIS goes down more than any other service i've ever used, hotmail, mobileme, gmail, yahoo, bis is by far the least reliable service offered in mobile phones today.
    Yep, it's hard to convince anyone when this has been your mantra. All though I think they are started on the right track this time. The difference being the acquisitions they have made. Time will tell.
    10-15-11 06:07 AM
    If you punch somebody.. They usually punch back. Thats the issue. It's going to take a slew of phones.. and a slew of apps to get them out of the hole.
    Rickroller likes this.
    10-15-11 11:37 AM
    Hopefully RIM comes out with something big. It would be nice for them to put the other platforms/manufacturers on their toes...It's been a while since they have.
    10-15-11 11:59 AM
    (Laughs Hysterically) I hope they bounce back. I don't think Google will let that happen tho. In reference to the #1 spot. They have to fight a generation gap, in addition to slick over powered smart phones. Little Ricky from 10 years ago, is Ricky now. Ricky wants a touch screen, Ricky wants to play games.. in addition to the basics. Ricky wants to feel as if he's in the future. RIM didn't take the iphone serious. Biggest mistake EVER! The iphone changed the mobile industry. R.I.P Steve Jobs. I thank you for your contributions.
    10-15-11 12:09 PM
    I would assume Mike is referring to the QNX platform and the new BBX OS for the new SuperPhones we hope they will showcase in a few days at DevCon.
    10-15-11 12:10 PM
    I pay less attention to the talk and PR coming from a company and instead really look at their actions. I've watched RIM closely over the last maybe 5 years and if there's one thing I've learned about them is that they really like to over-hype or over-promise on future products and features. They have no qualms about doing this. It's a fact that RIM has a track record of under delivering.

Of course is just my opinion, but given RIM's past history they will come out with a phone running QNX probably sometime in the 1st quarter of 2012 but it will be missing a lot of features and functionality, like the PlayBook did. They will have to make this compromise in order to get the QNX phone out the door as quickly as possible but still make it usable. Meanwhile, the PR machine at RIM will continue to hype it up and keep the fan base hooked so they don't jump ship to another platform before then.

After the QNX phone arrives people will be generally disappointed with it because of the missing features.... but, here's where the real PR magic happens, there will be leaks and rumors of leaks and updates that are supposedly coming out just around the corner, in a matter of days that will make the phone AWESOME, better than you could ever imagine. It will destroy the competition. This of course is the PR machine which is trying to calm the fan and user base down. The forums will be full of activity with the hard core fanboys making excuses as to why QNX is so great and to just be patient and wait for the updates blah blah. Then after about a year it will finally have the features and functionality it should've had in the first place. By then RIM will have more QNX devices on the market and only those devices will be able to run the latest version of the software.. oops too bad for you poor suckers that bought the Colt or whatever they call it. You have to buy a new phone because that one you bought a year ago isn't fast enough or doesn't have enough memory, etc.. Anyway folks, this is the business behavior or profile if you will of RIM. As the saying goes, their past actions speak louder than words.
    10-15-11 12:41 PM
    with my hands on a PlayBook as we speak I can definitely say we can become competitive again, but will it happen? will the RIM backlash subside? Only time will tell.
    10-15-11 02:16 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    a strong showing at Devcon followed by major release of new software features and growth in the Rim ecosystem will go a long way....

innovation and marketing .... build on your distinctiveness....
    10-15-11 02:24 PM
    a strong showing at Devcon followed by major release of new software features and growth in the Rim ecosystem will go a long way....

innovation and marketing .... build on your distinctiveness....
    RIM has so far had a poor track record when it comes to execution of new products & services. Problem is they've relied on their previous model of software & hardware for so long it's all they know and they've been having an extremely difficult time adapting to the new market. Their stock value bears this out. They are at a cross roads at this very moment. The next 6 - 12 months will decide their fate. If they keep over-promising and under delivering like they have I believe RIM, as they exist today, will be no longer.
    10-15-11 03:44 PM
    3 days ....
    ...3 days to Devcon we shall see

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mithrazor likes this.
    10-15-11 04:26 PM
    Yup we should believe RIM CEOs. They tell the truth.
    It will come this winter.
    10-15-11 04:30 PM
    I'm just going to say it: RIM will never be #1 again. But, you know what? Who cares? They just need to be competitive. I love my Blackberry and I am not liable to change to the iPhone or an Android any time soon. They just need to come out with something competitive that still offers the superior email handling I've come to expect, a mix of touch and keyboard handsets and continue to improve on the features that consumers and business people alike ask for.
    10-15-11 04:38 PM
    I'm just going to say it: RIM will never be #1 again. But, you know what? Who cares? They just need to be competitive.I love my Blackberry and I am not liable to change to the iPhone or an Android any time soon. They just need to come out with something competitive that still offers the superior email handling I've come to expect, a mix of touch and keyboard handsets and continue to improve on the features that consumers and business people alike ask for.
    Exactly! They just need to wake up and get back on track in the correct direction. Lately they seem to be trying to take ever path leading to the hard road. OS 7 devices are a good hardware step forward they just need to catch up with the software side a little. I am fairly sure that QNX when done correctly will be a winner. RIM has all the tools they just need to put them in the right hands
    10-15-11 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD