Only the other day I was thinking to myself I spend too much time on my PC, BlackBerry, and doing related I.T. stuff. Am I wasting my life away, am I missing things?

Maybe I need a break, LOL

But, on a serious note, if we fail to pay attention, it will all zoom right by us...
    04-24-18 11:16 PM
    When employed it is to some degree ones own to "educate" your business surrounding that you are not on duty all the time but have a private life as well.
    To me it worked to leave the notebook at the office, keep my company's iPhone off and its calls forwarded to my private BlackBerry (if I like to) so my suppliers and project managers can get hold of me if required in an emergency.
    When on vacation I cut it all off and get lost for them.
    10 years ago I traveled 150 days per year and was online 24/7. It almost killed my.
    Today with my new occupation I have rendered my work life balance to the better. But it was up to me. No one did it for me.
    04-25-18 02:08 AM
    Words of wisdom for sure. That's why I moved back to a BlackBerry Q5. Less distractions and just the basics.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-18 02:20 AM
    Only the other day I was thinking to myself I spend too much time on my PC, BlackBerry, and doing related I.T. stuff. Am I wasting my life away, am I missing things?

But, on a serious note, if we fail to pay attention, it will all zoom right by us...
    This is really a discussion to have with your management/supervision.
    I am in a position where I am responsible for some legacy systems where I'm really the only person who knows the systems. Fortunately, these seldom have issues when I'm out of the office. BUT, I take this on knowing that it will potentially affect my "off" time.

YOU need to take the initiative - your management / supervision may not understand that this has become an issue - they are not clarivoyant - they won't know unless you tell them.

If you're complaining about it here then it's not a joking matter, it's obviously become an issue.
    04-25-18 11:04 AM

As long as what you're doing is what you enjoy doing, it should be all right.
    04-25-18 11:08 AM
    I'm in this situation. standard 60 hour week, often more. server at work was down today so now I'll have to work the week end.

work pays the bills unfortunately, but I'm aware the stress is shortening my life.

it's all a bloody trap!
    04-25-18 01:40 PM
    I'm in this situation. standard 60 hour week, often more. server at work was down today so now I'll have to work the week end.

work pays the bills unfortunately, but I'm aware the stress is shortening my life.

it's all a bloody trap!
    Standard 60 hour week? You are a foolish person. Cut-off at 40 hours and enjoy life.
    05-05-18 09:34 PM
    Standard 60 hour week? You are a foolish person. Cut-off at 40 hours and enjoy life.
    Yeah, you're right. Supporting your family is a silly thing to do. Judgemental much?
    05-06-18 03:02 AM
    Ha...!! Only 60 hrs? Lol. Fortunately I was able to mostly ditch the laptop about when the 9650 came out. Totally different use case tho. Our IT guy seems mostly quite happy to let my "smart guys" take care of our own. Lol.

That said, the sun never sets on my global client base. Much of which involves 24/7 production and clients who get frantic if one of those days are 23.9 hrs. Lol. I've been doing 24/7 availability for decades BUT truly love my profession! Just like restoring and/or customizing my cars & motorcycles at home. Or other hobbies, like HAM, etc... Except it's global and handsomely compensated! If you LOVE what you're doing, it IS your life. Very close to family. I would PAY to keep doing what I'm doing...

Wasn't always like that, tho. Starting your own business has a way of generating appreciation for that first week that you actually get DOWN to 60 hrs. Lol. I've started 4 who are all thriving like proud offspring. My wife and children have embraced the beloved "offspring" into their lives as well. It CAN happen.

Thing about it, tho, if I were still anchored to a wired phone at a desk or still carrying laptop to the dinner table, I'd likely resent, more than love, my profession by now. Mobile technology advanced to a point that freed me from the desk and PC. Freeing me to carry on with "life" while conducting business in 24/7 "real time". My Toughbook is out in the vehicle and gets used daily BUT, fortunately for me, this 9930 handles voice, email, messaging, spreadsheet editing, etc all from single left hand. Freeing right hand for living a life while maintaining the 24/7 real time availability that's built my companies' reputations.

Essential aspects of that mobile technology pretty much peaked about 6 years ago and now I feel like these grotesquely monster sized "hand"sets so popular these days really aren't so much more convenient than laptops. Which is why I'm typing this on a six year old 9930. Lol. If a true replacement doesn't become available before this last of TRUE "hand"sets retires, I'll likely retire myself... Again. Lol.

That might seem like a digression but perhaps you might find a way to leverage more convenient mobile capabilities than a laptop? Or, at least, train some laptop toting assistants and coordinate that assistance via TRUE mobile? You know your use case best.

Otherwise, my advice is always to identify what you love to do and make THAT your profession! Find a job you would PAY to do and prepare to be amazed at how rewarding it, and LIFE can be...!!
    05-06-18 06:03 AM