So I really want to switch out from Rogers onto either Virgin or Koodo since they offer much more reasonable plans more in line with my typical usage and because they've consistently won the JD Power n Associates awards (especially Koodo). So who has been better when it comes to BlackBerry support in terms of OS updates, variety of devices, new devices coming out early, etc? Any other reasons for choosing one over the other?
    01-28-13 06:40 PM
    Just don't forget the Rogers coverage area is way better. That cheaper koodo or virgin plan comes at a cost. It could come back to burn you one day when you need to look up something really bad but you have poor service
    01-28-13 06:44 PM
    ^Doesn't Koodo run on the Bell network since it is owned by Bell? And Virgin under Telus?
    01-28-13 06:48 PM
    ^Doesn't Koodo run on the Bell network since it is owned by Bell? And Virgin under Telus?
    It is the opposite actually!
    01-28-13 06:53 PM
    Just don't forget the Rogers coverage area is way better. That cheaper koodo or virgin plan comes at a cost. It could come back to burn you one day when you need to look up something really bad but you have poor service
    Honestly, maybe that used to be true, but it's kind of a myth now. The truth of the matter is that Rogers' pricing has become unbearable, and that along with a 3-year contract is just outrageous.
    snaqvi91 likes this.
    01-28-13 06:54 PM
    And fido under rogers. Still not as good though
    01-28-13 06:55 PM
    And fido under rogers. Still not as good though
    ... what isn't as good? It's literally the same network (and in most cases, the same customer service reps).
    01-28-13 06:59 PM
    I found things difficult to get resolved with Koodo but never had issues when dealing with Virgin. I've thought about moving to Virgin as well. The Bell network is huge too so I wouldn't have any issues. Years ago, when I was with Vrigin, there were some spotty areas but so much has changed since then.
    01-28-13 07:09 PM
    I think they're pretty much the same. They're plans and subsidies are slightly different though so just go with whichever one suits you better.
    snaqvi91 likes this.
    01-28-13 07:12 PM
    I can't believe people actually defend Rogers. They are by far the most expensive provider in Canada and they are rated dead last in Canada by JD power and associates. Look it up if you don't believe me.
    snaqvi91 and robitaille93 like this.
    01-28-13 07:13 PM
    Maybe I should just go with whoever comes out with the white z10 first. So you're sure both the companies coverage, reliability, etc are up to the mark?
    01-28-13 07:19 PM
    I left Rogers for Virgin with my unlocked 9900. Virgin is night and day better for network coverage, customer service and price. They use Bell network btw. I have no personal experience with Koodo but, I would absolutely recommend Virgin to you!
    snaqvi91 likes this.
    01-28-13 07:46 PM
    Koodo user here. No issues here to report. I also read somewhere that Bell and Telus share some network which is a good thing.
    snaqvi91 likes this.
    01-28-13 08:03 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'll just wait and see which ones comes out first with BB10.
    01-28-13 08:17 PM
    From personal experience, Virgin (since it runs on the Bell network) is the best bet. the Bell network has served me well
    01-28-13 08:22 PM
    I've been using Koodo for a couple of years, and have no complaints.
    01-28-13 08:40 PM
    Fido/Rogers/Chatr, Virgin/Bell, Koodo/Telus are all the same as its twin. Major company and its satellite "discount" brand(s) which are identical coverage wise except the major company (almost) always has inflated prices and artificial timed exclusivity on some devices.

Rogers does cost an awful lot, but if you are okay with threatening retentions for a "deal" after every contract, you can get pretty good prices with them. Personally, I'm with Bell because they offer the best consumer plan the country thanks to TbayTel's existence ( Bell network in Thunder Bay )
    Last edited by Concession; 01-28-13 at 08:45 PM. Reason: You don't beg retentions. That gets you nothing. You threaten to leave.
    Cappyshirt likes this.
    01-28-13 08:41 PM
    I just hope neither of the companies are left out of the BB10 for a month or so due to Rogers exclusivity or something. That would be horrible.
    01-28-13 08:44 PM
    Hold on! you realize this all depends on where you live, and what your coverage is like. If your curious look at your providers coverage map, they'll most likely run off the same towers as there big brother's Virgin => Bell; Koodo ==> Telus.

ex: I live in Manitoba, where Rogers and MTS have a strong hold on our province and are the only ones that provide LTE. Bell, Telus and virgin (no Koodo here) have cheaper plans because they have less coverage. Since Fido ==> Rogers they have LTE and same coverage just a cheaper plan. So, Fido wins for me.
    01-29-13 01:43 AM
    Koodo and virgin both have LTE for my area.
    01-29-13 05:56 AM
    I would recommend neither, If you are trying to get away for real, and you are in a prime market then Wind Mobile is your best bet if you don't travel much. They are not any of the big 3 with different names.

Here's a list for your reminded.
    Bell = Solo, Virgin
    Telus = Koodoo
    Rogers = Fido, Chatr

They set up smaller companies to give the appearance of more competition, but there is no real difference. Mobilicity and Wind are both new however and not part of the big 3.
    01-29-13 06:13 AM
    Honestly, maybe that used to be true, but it's kind of a myth now. The truth of the matter is that Rogers' pricing has become unbearable, and that along with a 3-year contract is just outrageous.
    call rogers and ask for customer relations which is the second rep you get on the line and see what pricing they can do for you as i never had any issues of getting a better price from Rogers.
    01-29-13 06:22 AM
    I've been with Koodo for 5+ years. I travel all over Ontario and have never ever had any issues what so ever, Blackberries or iphones.
    Not to mention that they have great prices, what you see is what you pay, no other fees.
    The other great thing with Koodo is your can manage your own plan online and change it when you want.
    01-29-13 07:33 AM
    I've been with Koodo for 5+ years. I travel all over Ontario and have never ever had any issues what so ever, Blackberries or iphones.
    Not to mention that they have great prices, what you see is what you pay, no other fees.
    The other great thing with Koodo is your can manage your own plan online and change it when you want.
    You can manage rogers plan on line np's this is not new or limited to koodos.

Koodo does have issues in many places in ontario so don't spout BS here.

with rogers what you see is what you pay.
    01-29-13 07:37 AM
    You can manage rogers plan on line np's this is not new or limited to koodos.

Koodo does have issues in many places in ontario so don't spout BS here.

with rogers what you see is what you pay.
    Spout bs?? The excuse me? I'm simply telling the op about my experience and I have NEVER had issues anywhere in over 5 years.

Not to mention the op is asking "Koodo vs Virgin".
    Last edited by tdaye; 01-29-13 at 08:36 AM.
    01-29-13 07:47 AM
36 12