So as it stands now, the king of battery life is the Droid Razr Maxx with a whopping 3,300 mAh battery as stock. Pretty nuts, and only at 8.99mm thick. As we all know, back in the hay day, Blackberry devices sat on the throne for being know for amazing battery life and lasting all day long.

If the Dev Alpha devices are any indication, the size of devices coming from RIM will be bigger, at least for the all-touch devices. Will they put in a decent size battery this time around (1600 - 2000 mAh) or will they get caught up again in the race to "thinness" like the 9900 fiasco?

Do you want a bigger battery or do you want thinness to reign supreme??
    07-19-12 06:39 PM
    Some sort of middle ground would be nice.
    07-19-12 06:43 PM
    Give me the juice. Battery all the way.
    07-19-12 06:47 PM
    My 9900 lasts me all day. Bythe time i put my phone on charge i have 40% life left and that leaving wifi and bluetooth on and browsing and bbming from 5am-11pm.
    Mallet21 likes this.
    07-19-12 07:14 PM
    RIM will need a larger battery in the BB10 phones since they will have all apps running simultaneously and the flow UI. But hey, like OP said, the Razr Maxx has a giant battery AND is thin so we can have both.
    07-19-12 07:20 PM
    I'd also go for a bit of both.
    07-19-12 07:22 PM
    Judging by what they did with the 9900 and how big of a deal they made about how thin it was I'm expecting that they'll go for a small battery.
    07-19-12 07:35 PM
    Personally I could not care less about the size / relative capacity of the battery.
    I'd much rather have a reasonably sized device over a bigger battery.
    07-19-12 08:12 PM
    RIM will need a larger battery in the BB10 phones since they will have all apps running simultaneously and the flow UI. But hey, like OP said, the Razr Maxx has a giant battery AND is thin so we can have both.
    This is exactly what crossed my mind, the fact that with the new platform, RIM clearly stated that everything will be running all the time. One can only cringe of the thought that a platform like that would do to something like a 1,230 mAh battery. Really hoping they step up the battery size.
    07-19-12 08:28 PM
    Personally I could not care less about the size / relative capacity of the battery.
    I'd much rather have a reasonably sized device over a bigger battery.
    i hope 8.9 mm and 3000mAh is reasonable enough for you
    07-19-12 08:39 PM
    This is exactly what crossed my mind, the fact that with the new platform, RIM clearly stated that everything will be running all the time. One can only cringe of the thought that a platform like that would do to something like a 1,230 mAh battery. Really hoping they step up the battery size.
    Rumors indicate an 1800mah battery.
    07-19-12 08:58 PM
    where did you get these numbers?
    07-19-12 09:13 PM
    I think phones are so thin as it is. Give me a half inch thick phone because it has a 5000 mah battery on it. I want that sucker to last four days without charging.
    07-19-12 09:43 PM
    lol half inch is not very thick, make it like the torch only no slider, even then its a good feel but will mosltlikely be a weighted device which in a way might actually give you a feeling of holding something
    07-19-12 09:47 PM
    I'll take a beefy battery over thinness. But a happy ground is always good.
    Just give me a removable battery if nothing else. That's what gets me through the day with the 9930 now.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-19-12 at 09:50 PM.
    07-19-12 09:47 PM
    lol half inch is not very thick, make it like the torch only no slider, even then its a good feel but will mosltlikely be a weighted device which in a way might actually give you a feeling of holding something
    I agree with this. I've had a number of phones that were so light that they felt fragile in my hand. I'd much prefer something with a bit of weight to it.
    07-19-12 09:50 PM
    I'll take a beefy battery over thinness. But a happy ground is always good.
    Just give me a removable battery if nothing else. That's what gets me through the day with the 9930 now.
    if there is no removable battery there is always a battery expansion pack that you can get like the iphones have, sure it may add a little bulk to the phone but it'll double the life of the battery
    07-19-12 10:01 PM
    Did you completely miss the part where I said I do NOT care abut battery capacity?
    07-19-12 10:36 PM
    off course I don't want my phone to be a brick. But I also like battery capacity.

So somewhere in the middle would be nice.
    07-20-12 05:33 AM
    Having apps "running" in the background needn't have much effect on battery performance if the apps are essentially just "parked" in RAM. It's no different from BBM in BBOS now, which is always "running", but if you're not using it there's almost zero CPU use.

The battery drain in BB10 will be the large screen and heavy animations to make the "flow" convincing.

Battery life is important to me. If I can't make it through a day on a charge, I'm not a happy camper.
    fanatical and Alex_Hong like this.
    07-20-12 07:46 AM
    Ever since bb7, the throne has been vacated imo, battery life is merely adequate
    07-20-12 10:14 AM
    ive run 2 batterys for years now...but my 9900 is a bit annoying. I have been caught with a dead battery a few times with it

It needs to have a better battery life. I would take slightly thicker for longer battery life.
    07-20-12 01:06 PM
    if there is no removable battery there is always a battery expansion pack that you can get like the iphones have, sure it may add a little bulk to the phone but it'll double the life of the battery
    This is a ridiculous solution :S
    07-20-12 09:28 PM
    a reasonably sized battery + good power management on the OS side is what we really need.

man, i really wish we'd have some bb10 hardware leaks already
    07-20-12 09:58 PM
    As long as the battery can be swapped it isn't a major issue for me. I like the ability to be use the device to the fullest knowing I have my second battery ready to go.

--Posted via Tapatalk--
    07-21-12 05:49 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD