As far as being in high school and having a blackberry goes. I got my 1st blackberry christmas of freshmen year. and I never really got to start enjoying its features other then the internet browser until junior and senior year. Where email became very important in regards to SAT dates and College Stuff. Now I hate having to find a computer to check my email when it can be delivered just like a text message. also no one else i knew had a blackberry until AFTER i graduated. then every close friend of mine had one. It was weird, but then i could finally enjoy blackberry messenger. and the speed of PIN messages. So i think its a good thing. and With just about EVERY good thing there comes abuse. U have medicine which is obviously a good thing. then u have substance abuse which is obviously the abuse of a good thing. then u have just outright illegal drugs. So should we not allow a good thing to be in the hands of the generally immature? I think thats a question to be answered by the parents. My personal opinion @ the age of 18 is people are who they are, and their are worse things then being crackberry addicts. like say..crack addicts. Also, in my experience. If you take something away all together, then theres nothing to be learned. If you give them a chance, the worse that could happen is a problem would be identified and have to be delt with. thats what parents are for. im just saying
    11-02-08 11:58 PM
    hahaha im sorry but that was funny i'm in high school and if anyone thinks they are gonna stop us from using phones in school and even class they are dead wrong. At my school using your phone in class and getting caught 3 times in 1 year means they take your phone away for the year.... but that doesn't stop us. I did 2 years of chores saved up 2 birthday presents bought the 3 dollar lunch instead of the 5 dollar lunch just so i could save up for a blackberry... I ended up getting a bold. I love my phone i had a phone for the 2 years which my dad gave me as a birthday gift which he got for $50 and it broke on its own about 3 days after the warranty without a single scratch. Then I went to a blackberry that was like one of the first colour models and looked like a thicker pearl... i think it was from 2003. Before i got my bold i begged my dad to let me get a blackberry plan... the carrier gave him some ridiculously good deal for me and my mom so he said yes. Then my dad also worked my phone down from 400 with a 3 year contract to 250 with a 3 year contract. I take care of my phone to the extent where i won't leave it in my locker by the odd chance someone breaks in and steals it, and i check my pocket every hour just to make sure its in there. I think that no matter how hard you try to keep blackberries out of schools you will never succeed cuz all it means is that we have to be smarter. We even have a ring tone that is at a pitch teachers can't hear for some reason. (We did a test on our science teacher and ever showed him the phone (he is a cool guy) and he said he couldn't hear it... he was in his early to mid 20s imagine those teachers in there 50s. and by the way its not like it was everyone except the person who was purposely testing it couldn't hear considering every student covered their ears when they heard it even the ones who didn't have any idea what was going on. Thats just my opinion we are smart we hide them in binders on our laps, behind pencil cases that are at an angle so the teacher can't see it. So try all you want you won't stop phones in schools. WOW THAT WAS A LONG POST... I moderate another forum and even resignations aren't that long lol.
    see saying something like that is were you really mess things up... things like "if you think they can stop us your wrong"

ohh they can stop you

insert a electronic cellphone blocker and your awsome blackberry wont send a single signal... so.... the more that you kids say things like that the more strict its going to get

I fight against signal blockers but if it becomes to much of a problem thats more then likely were its headed.
    11-03-08 01:06 AM
    I also believe that if more students were to pay as much attention in class as they do to texting their friends, they would know the difference between there/their, your/you're or when it is appropriate to use text speak and when it is not.
    THANK you! And at least one poster since yours is a, well, poster child for kids who really, really need to have been paying attention during basic English class.
    11-03-08 07:01 AM
    I have one..my 18 yo has one..my 14, almost 15 yo has one..all responsible...all careful, all A students, they carry their BB every day with them in college and high school..

I taught them well....
    11-03-08 07:32 AM
    I think for the most part we agree that teens having a BB is fine. We agree phones should not be in a classroom. Some of us feel phones should not be allowed at school period where some of you feel between class and at lunch is ok.

* "We" meaning adults.

It is the attitudes of those who think they are above the law that really scares me. Where has respect gone? It is no wonder some countries think we Americans are horrible.

I sometimes really wish we didn't have cell phones, computers, TVs, ect. I wish youth still respected their elders. I wish you were afraid to get in trouble in school because that punishment was nothing compared to what were going to get at home. I wish I wasn't surprised to hear "yes sir" and "thank you mam" or in shock to have a young man hold the door open for me. I wish more mothers were home when children got out of school. I wish parents would discipline their children. I wish parents accepted their child was not being "picked on" by the teacher/school because the child did something wrong.

It is this type of attitude that makes me wonder about America and scares the h**l out of me.
    hahaha im sorry but that was funny i'm in high school and if anyone thinks they are gonna stop us from using phones in school and even class they are dead wrong. At my school using your phone in class and getting caught 3 times in 1 year means they take your phone away for the year.... but that doesn't stop us. I did 2 years of chores saved up 2 birthday presents bought the 3 dollar lunch instead of the 5 dollar lunch just so i could save up for a blackberry... I ended up getting a bold. I love my phone i had a phone for the 2 years which my dad gave me as a birthday gift which he got for $50 and it broke on its own about 3 days after the warranty without a single scratch. Then I went to a blackberry that was like one of the first colour models and looked like a thicker pearl... i think it was from 2003. Before i got my bold i begged my dad to let me get a blackberry plan... the carrier gave him some ridiculously good deal for me and my mom so he said yes. Then my dad also worked my phone down from 400 with a 3 year contract to 250 with a 3 year contract. I take care of my phone to the extent where i won't leave it in my locker by the odd chance someone breaks in and steals it, and i check my pocket every hour just to make sure its in there. I think that no matter how hard you try to keep blackberries out of schools you will never succeed cuz all it means is that we have to be smarter. We even have a ring tone that is at a pitch teachers can't hear for some reason. (We did a test on our science teacher and ever showed him the phone (he is a cool guy) and he said he couldn't hear it... he was in his early to mid 20s imagine those teachers in there 50s. and by the way its not like it was everyone except the person who was purposely testing it couldn't hear considering every student covered their ears when they heard it even the ones who didn't have any idea what was going on. Thats just my opinion we are smart we hide them in binders on our laps, behind pencil cases that are at an angle so the teacher can't see it. So try all you want you won't stop phones in schools. WOW THAT WAS A LONG POST... I moderate another forum and even resignations aren't that long lol.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-08 09:20 AM
    see saying something like that is were you really mess things up... things like "if you think they can stop us your wrong"

ohh they can stop you

insert a electronic cellphone blocker and your awsome blackberry wont send a single signal... so.... the more that you kids say things like that the more strict its going to get

I fight against signal blockers but if it becomes to much of a problem thats more then likely were its headed.

I'm with you on that one. All they'd have to do is put a blocking device all around the school to kill the cell signals. I mean, they did it at my old job for both Wireless Internet and Cell Signals so you couldn't even use your cell during work hours.

Saying they can't stop you is just like the above said. They'll just put more devices to block signals, make you have clear backbacks so you can't sneak them into school unless they're in a pocket or pocket book.

I don't just see what's so hard with people realizing, "Ok, it's not a big deal. I can wait to use my cell phone."
    11-03-08 10:20 AM
    See when the attitude of comes about that says "if they think there gonna stop us there dead wrong" (not exact wording) thats where the cell phones in school draws a line. I do agree it should be kept in a locker, and i know that when i was in high school that never happened, but i knew that if i was using my phine is school iw as taking a risk ad i really only used it ohter then texting for emergencies, but my school had open campus so i could use it then. but for a high school kid to say they cant stop us...sorry ....YOU'RE DEAD WRONG....not the school
    11-03-08 10:33 AM
    Well, I'm in high school, I see kids using their phones all the time. And I am probably the only kid on here who will agree with the no phones during school. For a couple reasons:
    A) My parents are paying $11,500 for me to go to school, so I better actually learn something while I'm there
    B) Using my phone isn't that important to me, I can wait 7 hours to use it after school, no big deal. I can use it all I want outside of school, taking 7 hours out of my day to not use it isn't that big of a deal.
    C) If I did get caught using my phone I would not have the freedom to use it whenever. T-Mobile has a service where my parents can control when I can use my phone, and how many minutes and texts I get (right now I get unlimited text.) So, I if I did get caught, I would lose the freedom to use my phone outside of school, as well as during (it would just be shut off during the day, during and after school.)
    11-03-08 10:44 AM
    Well, I'm in high school, I see kids using their phones all the time. And I am probably the only kid on here who will agree with the no phones during school. For a couple reasons:
    A) My parents are paying $11,500 for me to go to school, so I better actually learn something while I'm there
    B) Using my phone isn't that important to me, I can wait 7 hours to use it after school, no big deal. I can use it all I want outside of school, taking 7 hours out of my day to not use it isn't that big of a deal.
    C) If I did get caught using my phone I would not have the freedom to use it whenever. T-Mobile has a service where my parents can control when I can use my phone, and how many minutes and texts I get (right now I get unlimited text.) So, I if I did get caught, I would lose the freedom to use my phone outside of school, as well as during (it would just be shut off during the day, during and after school.)
    Thank you. You give me some hope.

11-03-08 10:50 AM
    I am 17 and have a BB 8830, just recently upgraded from my 8100 pearl. I feel as though it depends on when a person can use the device to its fullest and how responsible the child is. Ive had several cell phones since the age of 12 and have never lost or broken one of them. I recycle each phone when it has served its purpose. I use my BB to help me manage my senior AP and Honors classes, my work, my Community College classes, my to-do list, also I am the president of my High school Key club, which is a community service organization geared towards high school students and I use the phone to manage all upcoming events for this as well as to manage my FBLA (future business leaders of america) club memos.

I feel it all depends on how responsible a person is, but i feel as though a cell phone is a necessity at the age of 16, when a person begins to drive and become more independent.
    11-04-08 12:40 AM

ohh they can stop you

Schools cannot insert a cell phone jammer. It is way too much of a liability issue. If anything were to ever go wrong and kids couldn't use their phones to call for help, the school would be in a crazy amount of trouble.
    11-04-08 12:45 AM
    Schools cannot insert a cell phone jammer. It is way too much of a liability issue. If anything were to ever go wrong and kids couldn't use their phones to call for help, the school would be in a crazy amount of trouble.
    \
    nopz your wrong.

its already been voted on in certain districts and approved in others...

there is even schools that are implementing said devices... you gotta remember this stuff is voted on.. and a lot of the time the community is involved... there was someone in this post that mentioned there school installed walls that make cellphones not work..

when kids are running around saying things to adults like what you going to do to me..

they will vote for it so fast
    11-04-08 01:37 AM
    I am 17 and have a BB 8830, just recently upgraded from my 8100 pearl. I use my BB to help me manage my senior AP and Honors classes, my work, my Community College classes, my to-do list, also I am the president of my High school Key club, which is a community service organization geared towards high school students and I use the phone to manage all upcoming events for this as well as to manage my FBLA (future business leaders of america) club memos.
    First, congratulations on your academic accomplishments.

Second, your BB doesn't have a camera so others can't do inappropriate things with it.

Third, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and know when the appropriate time to use your BB is.

If more students were like you I (and others) wouldn't be adamant about no phones in school or feel we have the need for signal blockers. It is too bad we live in a day that good people are punished because of bad seeds.

11-04-08 10:15 AM

My gracie (4 yrs old) and her bb (my old 7130e).

11-07-08 05:30 PM
    Being a 17 year old with a blackberry 8830, I am offended.

I run a store on Ebay and use my BB mostly for customer emails and to check my sales.

I do text and make calls but not all teenagers are malicious devils without futures. I purchased my 8830 and the only reason my parents pay for the service is because I found them a really good deal that shares minutes with my mother.

Have some faith in 18 and under.

I have ENORMOUS faith in the under 18s. I absolutely think I have the best under 18s in my class, and that they will someday make this world a better place.

I am not trying to imply that all under 18s are malicious devils. I am not sure what I said that anyone took this way.

What I said was that rules end up getting made because of those who are least likely to behave.

Check your customer emails after school, if your school has a rule. Or, find a way to properly go about changing the rule.
    11-29-08 09:47 PM
    Being in high school myself, what this thread has turned into really bothers me.

I'm 17. I have a cell phone.

The school I currently attend is brand new and only opened last year. When building the school they went so far as to put stuff in the walls to deter cell phone signals.
    I understand that they think we're all going to use our phones to cheat, but honestly, that isn't the case.
    No one is stupid enough to use their phone to cheat, and if they are, banning phones isn't going to stop them from cheating.
    Yes, phones make is EASIER to do so, but they could just as easily write stuff down on a piece of paper.

Now, I'll admit I do text my friends as school when I can, when there's a slow moment in class, or if the teacher decides to be lazy.
    But even if I'm not texting my friends, knowing I have my phone is nice.

When I was in 9th grade there was a serious bomb threat at my school. My mom texted me because she'd heard about it and wanted to check to see if everything was ok.
    My parents were the ones that got me a cell phone in the first place, I highly doubt they'd be the ones to say it was ok to not allow me to have it.
    I am curious as to what they "put in the walls." For true signal jamming, they'd have had to get permission from the FCC, and they would not have received said permission, because the same jamming would also knock down the equipment of any emergency personnel.

I guess my question is whether this is just one of your school's "urban legends," that they purposely did something that would deter cell signal. I must admit to some skepticism in that regard, for the reason stated above.

Your parents don't make the school rules. Depending on where you live, those rules are made by the principal, or by a school council of some kind, or by the faculty. Parents expect the school to fulfill their duty to educate. All of these policies and rules are part of that. If parents have a disagreement with the rules, then they should pursue proper channels to see if they can get the rule changed. Until that point, they, too, should follow the school rules.

And during a bomb threat, your job is to be paying careful attention to what is happening on campus, and following the instructions of the people who are trying to keep you safe. It isn't to be texting your mother. You know, it IS possible to jam all the circuits. If that happens, the emergency personnel can lose their ability to communicate, as well.
    11-29-08 10:00 PM
    im 16 and i got a blackberry curve 8310 for my birthday w/ unlimited messaging.
    its prevented crazy bills for only $30. i'm thinking of having my dad add on the $30 unlimited data
    package but dont know if its worth 30 dollars...despite what people say i actually like the phone a lot even though i cant use email but i can still get on the internet, its just pay per use...
    Last edited by blackberry99bmw; 12-01-08 at 04:05 PM.
    11-30-08 05:58 PM
    Wow, I'm 13 and I will be getting a curve 8330 for christmas. I'm so excited!
    12-04-08 05:31 PM
    Wow, I'm 13 and I will be getting a curve 8330 for christmas. I'm so excited!
    Christmas has come down to knowing what you're getting now...

Back on topic... Who cares if children have a blackberry or not. The blackberries are cheaper the the new razrs through 3rd parties and even with current providers. My son, I will definitely have him with a cell phone by the time he hits 5th grade, but honestly, if it's free, it won't matter. Those that are on simply everything for Sprint, it is even better, the data comes included.
    12-04-08 05:38 PM
    I'm 17 with a Storm, I payed for it myself, paid for the Curve I had before it for myself, and pay for the bill myself, I'm on my mom's plan, so I pay the $9.99 a month for the Add a Line, the 30$ for the data/messaging, 6$ for my insurance, and another 20$ as a part of using my mom's minutes, on hers, everything is paid for by me. I also resigned my own contract which is going to be transferred over to my name when I turn 18 in May. I don't see any issue in kids having BBs, especially if they're paying for it on their own.
    12-04-08 06:20 PM
    When I was younger, I saw the Blackberry as a very business phone and no-use to me but now that I'm in uni, it is actually crucial and essential to have one :P
    12-04-08 06:41 PM
    When I was younger, I saw the Blackberry as a very business phone and no-use to me...
    That's so true! However BB has changed it's image. It's no longer a phone that does anything special! Every phone does email or has mobile web etc...and they all cost close to the same price. The money you'd shell out for a Curve or Pearl is about equal to the cost of a Razor a year ago. It's the plan that cost a bit more, and even that's started to come down. You can't seriously believe that children 10+ aren't capable of using email, AIM, Yahoo, MSN do you? Having a BB lets them get around the text fees they'd normally have to worry about when txting with people on other networks. These kids are so far advanced with technology that you can't really understand how integrated it is in their life. These little pint sized wonders probably use their phones to a level that most BB users don't achive.

That said my wife had to have a BB after I was given one by my job...she has no use for it. She doesn't do email, doesn't use any messenger programs, and send maybe 150 text a month. I'd be happier having bought my nephew a BB instead of my wife, at least I know it would have gotten some use out of it.
    12-05-08 02:56 AM
    That's so true! However BB has changed it's image. It's no longer a phone that does anything special! Every phone does email or has mobile web etc...and they all cost close to the same price. The money you'd shell out for a Curve or Pearl is about equal to the cost of a Razor a year ago. It's the plan that cost a bit more, and even that's started to come down. You can't seriously believe that children 10+ aren't capable of using email, AIM, Yahoo, MSN do you? Having a BB lets them get around the text fees they'd normally have to worry about when txting with people on other networks. These kids are so far advanced with technology that you can't really understand how integrated it is in their life. These little pint sized wonders probably use their phones to a level that most BB users don't achive.

That said my wife had to have a BB after I was given one by my job...she has no use for it. She doesn't do email, doesn't use any messenger programs, and send maybe 150 text a month. I'd be happier having bought my nephew a BB instead of my wife, at least I know it would have gotten some use out of it.

another thing to remember is that when we were young and bb's were just coming out the plans weren't cheap!

there actually way cheaper now then they were.
    12-05-08 05:01 AM
    My daughter uses my old 8320, but doesn't take it to school (she's 12). She loves texting on the full qwerty keypad.
    12-05-08 05:05 AM
    I think it's important for kids to use new technology. I gave one of my old touchscreen winmo phones to my kids (aged 7 and 3) so it's about the right level for them they'll have to wait until they're at least 10 before I get them a Bb!

12-05-08 05:37 AM
331 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD