Im 19 and I don’t see a problem with kids having a Bberrys as long as they are responsible enough to have them……with that said I might go contradict what I just said when I get my bold. I have a 12 year old brother who is going to be getting his first phone around the same time, I thought it would be cool to give him my blackberry curve so then he will have no need for an iPod, and I guess so he can have a cool phone, and not a peace of crap one like other kids his age. The only thing I am worried about is, I don’t know if he deserves one? He does well in school, but he really doesn’t know what it means to work for something. so what im thinking of doing is letting him carry around a fake phone for a while and see how he takes care of it, then when my mom gets him a phone line, let him use one of the free phones they give away as a test to see how he handles it, and if all is well I will give him my curve when I see he is ready…….what do u guys think?
    I think you are not his parent, and it's not your job or your place to "see how he handles" anything......and that you'd probably be better served to sell your curve to a friend or on ebay/craigslist
    10-28-08 05:23 PM

I'm Glad You Feel like you know everything.
    "Mr Pot....Mr. Kettle is on line one for you...."
    10-28-08 05:26 PM
    Ok, I am 15 and I have had a Blackberry since my 13th Birthday. I received an old 7250 from my Dad when he upgraded, and I activated it right away. Now I have a 8830, and I am hoping i will be able to get the Storm if I pitch in, and the rest goes towards Christmas presents. I can truthfully say that I use the email function more than the SMS or the phone. I email my mom and Dad constantly, and lots of other people. That is really the only way I communicate.
    10-28-08 05:26 PM
    I don't want to point fingers at all but I will say in general.. Saying something like "I don't know a kid who would actually use any of the features other then text pictures etc" Thats a pretty rediculous statement.....
    For starters I have a 4 year old cousin who hops on a computer and can pretty much do everything he wants to do (not saying that he isn't watched on what hes doing but just saying from a technical standpoint he knows what hes doing)

So to clarify more deeply what im saying is that alot of these so called kids probably learn these devices in and out better then most the users I hand these things out to at work (I work in IT)...

so just because they don't use the other features the same way you do doesn't mean they dont use them

having calendars task lists and all that on a phone they may not schedule meetings in the calendar but that don't mean they dont use the function.... and to top that off what states that something like a task list can be something helpful for a parent.... have your kid put his chores in there to keep track wouldnt that teach organization?

Will they use the fun factors of a phone more then the business absolutely no doubt but I guarentee they will use the other features from time to time... kids are not idiots =)

(keep in mind this really wasn't pointed at anyone and it isn't meant to be a direct attack/flame on anyone)

I just felt like putting that out there =)
    ROTFLMAO--yeah, I sure that that is exactly what parents and kids use bb's for--to put tasks on them......

Listen, I completely agree that kids who grow up in the tech age can be VERY savvy--my 4 yr old nephew picked up my Palm, took out the stylus and said "Aunt Debba I need one of these"--this is a kid who was already picking up the remote and finding his favorite channels--and was quite savvy doing what he was allowed to do on the computer......doesn't mean that he NEEDED to have a palm OR a computer.
    10-28-08 05:31 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what does an 8 year old need a cell phone for? Not questioning your choice of buying one for your child, just wondering what the purpose is of a child that young having a cell phone.
    Lets just say that an uncle of hers did something to her that is going to land him in jail. I shouldn't have to say any more.

Darlin, I'm ex military as well......and I can't even imagine doing that to a child of mine.....I hated it when I was in the military, and would never subject someone I loved to it.....we all do what we will to our kids, but I have to ask--exactly WHAT will it teach her, except that YOU are the boss?
    It won't teach her that I'm the boss, teaches her she needs to listen to her parents. Obviously the military was not for you, and that's fine, it's not for everyone. However, without going into politics, it's just my personal opinion that everyone should be required to serve a minimum of 2 years active duty just like they do in most European countries and Middle Eastern countries, not just register for the draft.

However, discipline never hurt anyone and since it's like the big thing now for parents to get into trouble for really touching their kids to discipline them, its a way to discipline without hitting. Its not hard, dad and mom tell you to do something, you do it. You don't want to, you suffer the consequences. You don't like it, oh well, deal with it until you move out of the house.
    10-28-08 05:37 PM
    You missed the point. You work in IT so you are like 'forced' to deal with new technology and gadgets. Some of the people who did not come up in the techno-age were not "forced" to keep up with the times so they just know the basics. Some refuse to learn new things regarding technology too. My mom (54) should get a new cell phone BUT she refuses to because she doesn't want anything with a camera, just wants it like the old cell phones; CALLS ONLY! She doesn't know how, nor does she want to learn about texting, bluetooth, etc, etc. My grandfather is the same way. I've had to walk my mom via phone on how to do things on her computer, yet she is on a computer as a CPA all day. The only things she knows about them concern the programs she uses daily, that's it. I have the same situation with users that I have to help being in IT for over 10 years now. Many people who aren't into technology refuse to and don't want learn how to use the technology. Its just like how many companies want to 'go paperless', which will happen when toilets are paperless! I have users that print out EVERY single email they get, an attachment (if any), staple it together, and then file it because they think it'll "go away" if they don't have a copy on paper.
    LOL, you are STILL wrong--and it's typical that young people think that those older than them don't know anything.....case in point, my 75 yr old father in law--who most DEFINITELY did not "grow up" in the tech age, is as computer savvy as any "young" person I know--SOMETIMES, it is about the DESIRE to learn.....NOT about "growing up in it"
    10-28-08 05:37 PM
    Lets just say that an uncle of hers did something to her that is going to land him in jail. I shouldn't have to say any more.

It won't teach her that I'm the boss, teaches her she needs to listen to her parents. Obviously the military was not for you, and that's fine, it's not for everyone. However, without going into politics, it's just my personal opinion that everyone should be required to serve a minimum of 2 years active duty just like they do in most European countries and Middle Eastern countries, not just register for the draft.

However, discipline never hurt anyone and since it's like the big thing now for parents to get into trouble for really touching their kids to discipline them, its a way to discipline without hitting. Its not hard, dad and mom tell you to do something, you do it. You don't want to, you suffer the consequences. You don't like it, oh well, deal with it until you move out of the house.
    LOL, you assume too much my friend.....I adored my time in the military--however, like a lot of things in life, I didn't love everysinglepart of it.......I learned many things in the military that have stood me in good stead to this day--that said, whenever a young person speaks to me about going in, I do for them, the best thing my friends who were in at the time, did for me--let them know EXACTLY what being in the military means.

As I said, we each discipline in our own ways.....my kid, at 25, still asks how high, when mama says jump--and I got there without treating him like a basic trainee......

This sounds like I am putting you down, and I really don't mean it that way--in the military they 'break you down to build you up'--I just never felt the need to break my kid down.
    10-28-08 05:44 PM
    LOL, you are STILL wrong--and it's typical that young people think that those older than them don't know anything.....case in point, my 75 yr old father in law--who most DEFINITELY did not "grow up" in the tech age, is as computer savvy as any "young" person I know--SOMETIMES, it is about the DESIRE to learn.....NOT about "growing up in it"
    I think we got confused on that. I didn't say anything that it was a "growing up" thing, I was stating that it was a situation of the 'not wanting to learn it'. BUT my 'growing up' in it was in reference to the fact that the younger generations were forced to use it for school and whatnot so it made everything easier for them. Whereas, like you say, your father-in-law had to learn it all from nothing where he was probably used to doing things on maybe a typewriter or by hand. That's all. It was a statement that some older people do not have the desire to learn or have a slower learning curve than the young so they tend not to pick things up as quickly. That was it.
    10-28-08 05:47 PM
    I tell you what, any school that took something that I or my kid paid for and thought it was their right to hold it till the end of the semester would have me right in their face. Taking the phone because the kid is acting out with it? I'm right there with them--but the phone is NOT the property of the teacher OR the school, and as such, it should be given back to the student--and a note sent to the parent informing them of school policy(if one exists)

In every school handbook the consquences for not following the rules are in PLAIN english. What message do you think it is sending your kid that even though they broke the rules, they should not be subject to the consequences laid out prior and if said happens mommy and daddy will run to the rescue?
    10-28-08 05:48 PM
    "Mr Pot....Mr. Kettle is on line one for you...."
    DJ are soo insync on this one. When I read that I did not even reply -- I said to myself "nahhh too easy" I agree with you 125%!!!!
    10-28-08 05:50 PM
    ROTFLMAO--yeah, I sure that that is exactly what parents and kids use bb's for--to put tasks on them......

Listen, I completely agree that kids who grow up in the tech age can be VERY savvy--my 4 yr old nephew picked up my Palm, took out the stylus and said "Aunt Debba I need one of these"--this is a kid who was already picking up the remote and finding his favorite channels--and was quite savvy doing what he was allowed to do on the computer......doesn't mean that he NEEDED to have a palm OR a computer.
    hmm I love technology as much as the next person. One question, what does he do IF AND WHEN he picks up a book?
    10-28-08 05:51 PM

PLease understand I am in no way minimizing what happened to your daughter and no way am I excuses what he did BUT how was a cellphone going to prevent it or help the situation?
    10-28-08 05:52 PM
    This topic got beat to death in this thread not too long ago. http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/what...ht=at+what+age And got so heated it was closed.
    It's a tough decision. On the one hand, everyone has an opinion and would like to give their view on the issue. On the other hand, the same could be said of most iPhone vs BB threads. Sadly, this thread, while well-intentioned, is flamebait.
    10-28-08 05:55 PM
    LOL, you assume too much my friend.....I adored my time in the military--however, like a lot of things in life, I didn't love everysinglepart of it.......I learned many things in the military that have stood me in good stead to this day--that said, whenever a young person speaks to me about going in, I do for them, the best thing my friends who were in at the time, did for me--let them know EXACTLY what being in the military means.

As I said, we each discipline in our own ways.....my kid, at 25, still asks how high, when mama says jump--and I got there without treating him like a basic trainee......

This sounds like I am putting you down, and I really don't mean it that way--in the military they 'break you down to build you up'--I just never felt the need to break my kid down.
    Roger Wilco. I understand everything you're saying and I do the same for people who tell me they want to go in, even help people who are in the military currently all the time because they come to me asking questions and such. So since I work with them, I help them out. I even got into trouble when I was on "Home Town Recruiting" because I wouldn't lie to a potential recruit on how they were going to be treated.

And I'm not bashing you either, so please don't take it that way. I'm just saying that since I'm around your sons age, we were raised in a different time, with like different "rules". You can't tell me that when you walk around a mall, WalMart, or other stores and see what kids do to their parents or while their parents are around, that you don't look at some of them and be like, "How can you let your kid act like that?", etc, etc.

What it was is that it was a different age and time. I've seen so many kids who outright tell their parents to their face, "If you hit me, I'll call Child Protective Services on you!" and things of that nature. If you allow your kid to be like that, I say that being strict, not to a drastic point, but it's fine. Mind you, I haven't done the ENTIRE GI Party with my daughter because she usually listens to me the first time, she just doesn't listen to her mom because she knows I'm not playing when I say something.

Plus, I don't think she'll be able to drag all her furniture out by herself!! JUST KIDDING!!
    10-28-08 05:55 PM
    PLease understand I am in no way minimizing what happened to your daughter and no way am I excuses what he did BUT how was a cellphone going to prevent it or help the situation?
    We had to wait 4 hours to find out something happened when we got home because he was watching her. When we got home, she had told us that he left about 30 minutes prior and didn't say where he was going. Nobody has seen him in almost a year and all I know now is that there is a warrant out for his arrest. We think he is in Mexico.
    10-28-08 05:57 PM
    It's a tough decision. On the one hand, everyone has an opinion and would like to give their view on the issue. On the other hand, the same could be said of most iPhone vs BB threads. Sadly, this thread, while well-intentioned, is flamebait.
    I don't think this is that heated though. People just stating their opinions. It's all cool. We need like a "NO HOLDS BARRED" section to post stuff, as long as you're tasteful and not cursing.
    10-28-08 05:58 PM
    In every school handbook the consquences for not following the rules are in PLAIN english. What message do you think it is sending your kid that even though they broke the rules, they should not be subject to the consequences laid out prior and if said happens mommy and daddy will run to the rescue?

My children aren't allowed to break the rules at school! In this case, the cell phone would not be kept by the school....I would have it for a long while. The child would then suffer another consequence ie detention or something.

My children now that if they have been wronged by the school I am there fighting for them....but rue the day that they are in school misbehaving!
    10-28-08 06:09 PM
    My children aren't allowed to break the rules at school! In this case, the cell phone would not be kept by the school....I would have it for a long while. The child would then suffer another consequence ie detention or something.

My children now that if they have been wronged by the school I am there fighting for them....but rue the day that they are in school misbehaving!

So if the rule book clearly states "cellphones will be confiscated till the end of the year or end of semester etc." you are telling me you would fight the school on following the rule book even after your kid broke the rule? My point is this----the rules are clearly stated and if the parents come in for whatever reason and say "i know my kid broke the rule and I know the consequences are such and such but I want a different consequence for my kid" Again I ask what message is that sending to your kid?
    10-28-08 06:17 PM
    My almost 14 year old daughter just got her first phone and yes it was a hand me down. Not buying her a new one until I see how responsible she is with it. I pay for the service but explained to her that if she runs up a bill beyond what the shared plan was, she was paying for it even if it means selling her 4gb I-Pod.

She also knows that since her mother and I are paying for it, I have the right to inspect the phone and the information stored anytime I see fit or feel an urge. Same goes with her laptop that I bought and the wireless internet that I provide. She screws up, it all goes until I decide otherwise if at all. My house, my money, my rules.

As for the teachers comment's. Kids have no business having a cell phone turned on during school hours in a normal situation period. I'm thinking the only exception might be a crazed gunman on campus but most classes now have a phone in them with the capability to dial an outside line.

I am siding with DJ and envied on this. The rules are there for a reason. If you can't follow them, then be prepared to face the consequences for your actions. It's just that simple. My daughter knows if her phone gets confiscated or any of her property and I have to go after it, she will NEVER see it again.
    LOL, and I sure that a crazed gunman will be more than happy to let the kids use the phone......sorry, I just couldn't resist
    10-28-08 06:22 PM
    I think we got confused on that. I didn't say anything that it was a "growing up" thing, I was stating that it was a situation of the 'not wanting to learn it'. BUT my 'growing up' in it was in reference to the fact that the younger generations were forced to use it for school and whatnot so it made everything easier for them. Whereas, like you say, your father-in-law had to learn it all from nothing where he was probably used to doing things on maybe a typewriter or by hand. That's all. It was a statement that some older people do not have the desire to learn or have a slower learning curve than the young so they tend not to pick things up as quickly. That was it.
    LOL, yeah, we did--get confused--I just went back and read it and said eek, wrong person--sorry about that. And while we are on the subject, I want to again make it clear that I don't mean to criticize your parenting--it is clear that you love your child and has only her best interests at heart....I think your style of parenting just pushed some of my old buttons and I reacted.....
    10-28-08 06:31 PM
    My kid was always QUITE clear on the rules--for starters, he didn't even get a cell phone till he was 16, and didn't particularly want one then. I made him take it because I wanted to be able to be in contact with him. He never had a problem with the whole phone in school thing......

That doesn't change the fact that I would be sincerely NOT happy if a school decided that it was their 'job' to keep something that I paid for, or decided to 'charge' me to get it back.

Just because something is a 'policy' doesn't mean it is a good one.....and I'd be fighting the "pay to get it back" one tooth and nail. I am also so over the idea that just because a child acts out it MUST mean they were not 'raised' right--I think I heard this on Roseanne, and it stuck with me "at some point our kids are going to do what they are going to do--they're like PEOPLE that way"
    10-28-08 06:43 PM
    hmm I love technology as much as the next person. One question, what does he do IF AND WHEN he picks up a book?
    You HAVE heard what they say about assumptions, right? LOL
    My nephew does and can read--loves to, as a matter of fact.....so to answer your question, when he picks up a book, he READS it.
    10-28-08 06:47 PM
    well, so far, so good, though--it's ten pages, and no one has acted out......
    10-28-08 06:48 PM
    LOL, yeah, we did--get confused--I just went back and read it and said eek, wrong person--sorry about that. And while we are on the subject, I want to again make it clear that I don't mean to criticize your parenting--it is clear that you love your child and has only her best interests at heart....I think your style of parenting just pushed some of my old buttons and I reacted.....
    Its cool, no worries.

My kid was always QUITE clear on the rules--for starters, he didn't even get a cell phone till he was 16, and didn't particularly want one then. I made him take it because I wanted to be able to be in contact with him. He never had a problem with the whole phone in school thing......

That doesn't change the fact that I would be sincerely NOT happy if a school decided that it was their 'job' to keep something that I paid for, or decided to 'charge' me to get it back.

Just because something is a 'policy' doesn't mean it is a good one.....and I'd be fighting the "pay to get it back" one tooth and nail. I am also so over the idea that just because a child acts out it MUST mean they were not 'raised' right--I think I heard this on Roseanne, and it stuck with me "at some point our kids are going to do what they are going to do--they're like PEOPLE that way"
    See, I think that charging the parents would have a decent affect since you know, as you can see yourself, that the reaction by the parent would not be a favorable one. I think that the school district is doing it so that the parent reacts similar to the way you're saying you would but in turn, the school district believes the parent will pay to get the phone back and then will end up disciplining the child so it doesn't happen again. Since the school can only discipline the student to a certain degree. If the school says, "Ok, your child can have a phone in school but if they are caught the first time it is a 2 day out-of-school suspension, 2nd time its 4 days, etc, etc." Would you argue that? This way they are allowing the student to stay in school and know that they'll just make the parent upset for having to go all the way to school, be explained why the school took the phone, have the parent pay (who will probably get mad), then go home and discipline the child since the parent would know that there are other things the child should be doing during school hours. Yes? No? Maybe...
    10-28-08 08:03 PM
    Its cool, no worries.

See, I think that charging the parents would have a decent affect since you know, as you can see yourself, that the reaction by the parent would not be a favorable one. I think that the school district is doing it so that the parent reacts similar to the way you're saying you would but in turn, the school district believes the parent will pay to get the phone back and then will end up disciplining the child so it doesn't happen again. Since the school can only discipline the student to a certain degree. If the school says, "Ok, your child can have a phone in school but if they are caught the first time it is a 2 day out-of-school suspension, 2nd time its 4 days, etc, etc." Would you argue that? This way they are allowing the student to stay in school and know that they'll just make the parent upset for having to go all the way to school, be explained why the school took the phone, have the parent pay (who will probably get mad), then go home and discipline the child since the parent would know that there are other things the child should be doing during school hours. Yes? No? Maybe...
    lol, actually a suspension would tick me off as well......look, don't get me wrong, I KNOW that teachers have a tough job, and having kids in school who think it's more important to text each other than to learn is/can be a problem.....I don't have a problem with them finding a way to deal with it--but I think that simply taking the phone for the duration of the class is sufficient.

And yes, if they have to do it every day, then they do it.....all in all, it makes me VERY glad that my kid is a good kid, in the first place and out of school in the second-lol
    10-28-08 08:26 PM
331 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD