12-07-10 02:42 AM
331 1234 ...
tools
    it does close and lock but....we have been known to entertain with food!
    So what's the address cause I'm hungry and getting out of work soon. I'll bring 2 30 packs of beer!

It's funny how every generation changes. Back in the days it was pagers, now everyone wants a cell phone. I don't think it's a one answer for all. Like TVman said, it's a case by case basis. I personally wouldn't get a teen a blackberry and pay $30 extra a month for bb service. Unless they have a job and they are willing to pay for it. I would get them a regular cell phone.

Now whether they get a cell phone is really on what they do. If they are too young to get a job, I would make sure they do chores around the house. Obviously they also have to be doing good in school. They have to keep at least a B average. They can't go over their minutes/texting or it will be taken away from them. I would also start them with a cheap phone and see how well they take care of it. If they are one of those that be dropping them or not giving a crap about them, no upgrade. Also Verizon has those chaperon phones where you know exactly where your kids are. This way they can't lie and say they are going to the movies, and then go somewhere else.

Once they are old enough to get a job, they would either pay for the phone themselves or at least pay the monthly fees. They should help out so they can start learning the responsibility of spending and earning your money. Once again, even though they are old enough and making enough money to pay for them, they should still be doing good in school.
    I agree.
    10-27-08 05:13 PM
    If you feel that you need to waste your money on a BB, and pay the 100 buck bill for your child to be in touch with her friends on myspace, messengers, text, email, phone, then maybe your child need to get a job to justify the reason to need all thoses ways of contact. Its bad enough we cant even monitor our children on the internet none the less on their BBs, the next thing you know child solicitation is going to be coming from cell phones, because they dont have to be sitting at home talking online, they could be at the mall park ect... how do you like that america?
    Last edited by njisonfire; 10-27-08 at 05:25 PM.
    10-27-08 05:23 PM
    A few weeks ago I was put on several different buses within a district because of behavior issues. During one of those routes I encountered a 6th grade girl getting harrassed and made fun of over her phone. I guess she had the "cool" phone, but broke it, so her mother bought her a very cheap basic phone this time around. Those kids were being so mean over her "ugly" cell phone...to the point where she was about in tears. I assured her that her phone was better than nothing and she later agreed.

I see alot, but was suprised at just how bad she was being bullied over a cell phone.

I am a parent and do what I feel is best for my kids. I spend my money the way I please. If I felt inclined to get my kids a BB then I would.
    10-27-08 05:36 PM
    I got my own pre-paid phone when I was 14 years old, in the 8th grade. I used it to call my parents, and did a little bit of texting.

In the 9th grade I got my brothers old phone and number for the two months prior to his contract expiring(he paid), since he got a new service provider. When that ran out my parents added me to their line $10 a month, I could only call friends on free nights and weekends, and I could not text.

I started to pay my phone bill in 11th grade, and I have not looked back since. It establishes independence, something ALL kids need to leanr.
    10-27-08 05:48 PM
    If you feel that you need to waste your money on a BB, and pay the 100 buck bill for your child to be in touch with her friends on myspace, messengers, text, email, phone, then maybe your child need to get a job to justify the reason to need all thoses ways of contact. Its bad enough we cant even monitor our children on the internet none the less on their BBs, the next thing you know child solicitation is going to be coming from cell phones, because they dont have to be sitting at home talking online, they could be at the mall park ect... how do you like that america?
    Perhaps I am taking this wrong. But I'll say this....child solicitation is going to happen anywhere....everything these days is computer based. I feel that my daughters NOT having phones is a bad idea. I'd rather them have phone bills and be able to call me if theres a problem. And as far as not being able to monitor them....I KNOW I can and do monitor my kids online and on thier phones...
    10-27-08 05:51 PM
    I'm sure over the past few years that Blackberries have been sold to just as many non business people as those who are. Where I work, there is a 17 year old girl with one and she is the reason I own one. BlackBerries are just as popular as the sidekick once was and I am willing to bet, even more popular that the iPhone with teens. It's more affordable anyways.
    10-27-08 06:06 PM
    im 16 and i originally got my curve and planned on getting rid of the bb service. then my aunt, the person paying for the phone called up vzw and they said that they weren't able to cancel it as it was a requirement from blackberry. now she gave it to me as a christmas gift and we are both happy that she did. my curve is so much better than my previous phone(razr)
    10-27-08 06:21 PM
    My 14 year old niece has on. She had to work at her fathers office to pay for it. She also has to keep good grades and babysit when needed. My sister has 3 more kids - 8, 4, & 1 month. When coming home from school events it is wonderful her being able to call or text my sister so she doesn't have to haul all the girls out and just wait for the late bus.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-08 06:33 PM
    I my self have a blackberry curve and i got it maybe jsut under two months ago,I'm 18 now and I got my first phone when i was either in seventh or eighth grade (mainly due for emergencies, it was right after 9/11) When i first got my phone my parents paid for it, till this say they pay for the minutes, up until two weeks ago i paid for data for my blackberry but being that i am a college student who has had a job since around 14, my parents decided that as long as i keep my grades up i can have them for pay it. (my mom has a blackberry curve now and loves it i believe) but i really think kids under certain ages do not need a blackberry, my little brothers friends have blackberry and iphone, i think it is so weird, they have more tech at the age of 11 then I did before i turned 17. I think it also depends on the person and hat they will use it for, I use my blackberry to the fullest i possibly can nt just bbm like most teenagers
    10-27-08 06:48 PM
    Ok, this is a very heated discussion with good and bad points.

I have an 8 year old daughter who we got a regular cell phone for. We pay the bill, not her, but took the phone away when she ran up a $60 bill on the VZW Get-it-Now applications and games. She got it back 4 months later after doing chores and things of that nature around the house to let us 'recoup' the money.

Now would I get her or even any child of mine in High School, a Blackberry? Well, I'm on the fence on that one. Do I feel that they'll use the phone to the point that it is supposed to be used? NO. I don't know of any child who will use any of the full features of a blackberry, aside from the phone, texting, and pictures. The one benefit of the child having a BB would really only be the BBM, if both parents had a BB also.

However, I think its really an issue with like "Keeping up with the Jones" and the marketing of the Cellular companies to draw in kids to get these phones, especially due to the colors.

The other day, I was in a VZW store trying to get my 8330 and a family was there. The parents were getting their kids each a phone (2 phones total), however, a regular flip-phone or LG Dare was not good enough for them. They demanded that their parents buy them a BB Pearl since that's what all the kids at school have, so the parents did it. Then when they were asking about SD cards, the parents were going to get them a 1 gig card, they threw a fit. The parents ended up buying them 4gig cards. The reason, "Mom, Dad, do you realize how many pictures we take in a day? We'll fill up 1 gig before lunch!"

That's just ludicrous. Its my personal opinion that things are getting way way too out of hand with the youth of today and rather than being rewarded for doing well in school and in other areas, thy EXPECT to have things.

Where I live, there was a kid who just turned 16 and got his license, he pulled up while I was walking my dog, in a brand new Nissan 350Z convertible, rims, system, kit, custom paint, everything. I said, "Nice car. Who's is it? Dad's? Older Brother?" His reply, "It's mine. My mom and dad bought it for me and had all the work done for me." My mouth dropped to the floor.

Needless to say, I went home where the wife and I started to discuss some things. Our daughter was there and she heard we were talking about her. We were planning on buying a computer for her room, and then an XBOX360, Wii, and PS3 to put one on the living room TV and then two on the office TV. She said, "I will ONLY have a laptop for a computer. AND I want an XBOX360, Wii, and PS3 in MY room!" I just looked at her mother, left the conversation at that, when she walked away, her mother and I looked at each other and were like, "Well, NOW, she ain't getting crizzap!"

It's like the wife told me one day, she picked up our daughter from school and she told my wife that she wants a Louis Vatton (SP) pocketbook! The wife said, "Call your dad and ask him. What he says goes." She did, and received a response of, "What are you flucking nutz? You're out of your mind. You go get a job and buy it yourself!"

Like I said, I think its been lost over the ages where children were taught a good work ethic and how to earn money to buy things they want, so that they have a greater respect for those things and don't break them, as much.

But that's just my two cents on it.
    LOL, I completely agree with you.....I can't tell you how many of my son's contemporaries(he's 25 now)have gone through car after car after car--because they kept cracking them up and the parents kept buying them.

My son, OTOH, was lucky enough to have a family member give him a car, but the insurance and ALL bills regarding the car was HIS responsibility.....
    10-27-08 07:15 PM
    Well my kids all have phones. My 10 year old got my last BB and loves it esp for texting.
    10-27-08 07:22 PM
    I've had a Blackberry since I was 16. (I turn 19 in early 2009)

The plan is provided through my employment and I don't see the bill, nor is it taken out of my pay.

I can use it for personal use as well.

Several hundred daytime minutes, unlimited after 6, unlimited incoming calls, unlimited data, unlimited text.

If I want new hardware I have to supply it though.

Gone through:

Blackberry 7250e
    Blackberry 8830
    Blackberry 8130
    Blackberry 8330 [Current]
    10-27-08 07:44 PM
    Oh, I'm the same way. My wife yells at me all the time but has ME make all the decisions, my daughter calls me "The strictest, meanest parent ever!". I tell her, "You'll thank me when you're older." If you read the posts that I put above, you'll get a jist of it.

I told my daughter she has 3 options when she graduates High School:

1. Go to college part-time, work, and live at my house where she'll pay 1/2 average price of renting a 1 bedroom apartment, to include all utilities, cable, Internet.

2. Go to college full time, live at the dorms, and find her own way of getting money because she will not be living at my house unless she pays rent, even going to school full time.

3. Move out, get her own place, fend for herself ENTIRELY.

Although, the best option that I'd rather her do is go into the Military but that's neither here nor there, I still have 10 years to go.
    OK, I am going to send YOUR post to my kid, so he will appreciate how I was when he was living with me-lol.

My "deal" with my kid was that he could live at home and go to school, and if he decided that school was not for him, then he could work and take care of himself (which he was pretty much doing since 16 anyway),but once he decided to move out, he was ALSO declaring that he was an adult, and if he came back home after that, he was going to be coming back as a "renter" and would help with the bills from that point.

He's only come home once since then, and lived up to his part of the deal when he did. Things aren't going so great for him and the gf, so he will probably be home again while he gets back on his feet, and he will be paying rent etc while he lives with me.....
    10-27-08 07:46 PM
    I think the point most of us are making is that BBs and Cellphones are okay for children IF YOU TEACH THEM RESPONSIBILITY! None of this giving your child an expensive phone cause they smile cute. We all have our different ways of teaching that responsibility...otherwise your kids are gonna grow up expecting everything to be handed to them instead of learning to earn their luxuries, and THAT'll be a hard lesson to swallow when they don't have Mommy and Daddy to fix it.
    10-27-08 07:46 PM
    I truly agree. There is nothing wrong with giving your child a cellphone, if they are responsible with it and you are teaching them responsibility. There is EVERYTHING wrong with giving them a cellphone becuase you can afford it. I also do not think anyone in elementary school needs a cellphone - perhaps maybe 5th grade!
    10-27-08 07:54 PM
    I can say that I was one of the last people in my high school to get the stuff that "cool kids have," but when I get it, I typically get something that kicks everybody's tail anyway. The only reason why I have stuff so sophisticated is because of my good grades and interest in technology. I am now a senior in college with a BlackBerry I got a couple months ago, and I'm still part of my parents' family plan.

In any case, I would give my kid one of those "free" cell phones to start off, and when he/she deserves it, I'll give them a better phone and stuff. How about money? My parents didn't allow me to get a job back when I was in high school because (according to them), my job is to study up, get good grades, and establish a strong foundation. I think I will follow that, and stomach the costs. My parents also take 20% of my paycheck, and will do so until I get married.
    Last edited by dasunst3r; 10-27-08 at 08:04 PM.
    10-27-08 07:58 PM
    Oh, I'm the same way. My wife yells at me all the time but has ME make all the decisions, my daughter calls me "The strictest, meanest parent ever!".

I hope I'm called that someday!! That will only confirm what I already know - I'm a good mom!
    10-27-08 07:59 PM
    I think the point most of us are making is that BBs and Cellphones are okay for children IF YOU TEACH THEM RESPONSIBILITY! None of this giving your child an expensive phone cause they smile cute. We all have our different ways of teaching that responsibility...otherwise your kids are gonna grow up expecting everything to be handed to them instead of learning to earn their luxuries, and THAT'll be a hard lesson to swallow when they don't have Mommy and Daddy to fix it.
    Well spoken...
    10-27-08 08:02 PM
    here's my case:

I'm 16 years old and I have had my pearl for about a year and I think it was one of the best decisions my parents made for me. When I first got my pearl only my dad had a blackberry. It was easier for me to keep track of my after school schedule, my contacts, and all of my in school assignments (my school has a very loose in school cell phone policy so they allow me to use my phone as an assignment calender). Since then, my mom and older sister have also gotten blackberries as have a lot of my friends. I love that I can BBM my friends but its even better that i can BBM my parents. Its much quicker than texting and its easier for my parents to keep tabs on me and for us to communicate

if the teenager is responcibleand has uses for more than one of the features on a blackberry, i think it is perfectly fine as long as the parents are okay with paying for it or the teenager knows theat they have to pay for what they do with the phone
    10-27-08 08:06 PM
    Im looking at it from a different standpoint. While I myself use mine constantly for real estate, I also like it due to the technical side.

It just bothers me when adults and even kids who get smartphones can't figure out how to use them. A friend of mine bought herself a curve and her daughter(16) a pearl. I will give it within 3 onths and the phone will either be damaged or running beyond slow. I showed her the most simplistic of steps to take care of them but neither of them have heeded my warning so far. How hard is it to pull out the ddamn battery every few days or delete your texts?

It's not only those 2 complaints that bother me but the fact that if your not on the technical side to learn how to use a blackberry or any smartphone DON'T GET ONE!!!

Maybe its just because I was born and raised as a geek that I can't stand people who get high end electronical devices yet can't figure out where the power button is. (My sister and her ps3) >_> God for bid you read the instruction manual.

I do get that sense of praise when I get asked questions on how to fix or operate the Curve/pearl and I will laugh to death when both of theirs stop working in a few months while im having fun with even the simplest of things. (viigo and jivvetalk).
    *end rant*
    I can't count the number of people who have all kinds of phones and barely know how to use them--I work for a telephone answering service and most of the doctors don't know how to use their phones--we have a doctor who actually took the phone back to the store telling them "it keeps beeping at me"-lol
    10-27-08 08:08 PM
    I too have the 3 option approach.

1. Local college full or part time, part time job, live at home almost for free.

2. Out of state college full time or part time, dorms, part time job, little assistance from parents.

3. Once you leave the house on your own you can only come back for visits. The front door is not a swinging one. Only in dire emergencies are the kids premitted to return for a short period of time.

As you can see by choose available we want her to stick close to home.
    My kid can ALWAYS come home.....he can't stay forever without good reason, but as I always tell him, if I've got a box, he's got a corner......
    10-27-08 08:12 PM
    I got my own pre-paid phone when I was 14 years old, in the 8th grade. I used it to call my parents, and did a little bit of texting.

In the 9th grade I got my brothers old phone and number for the two months prior to his contract expiring(he paid), since he got a new service provider. When that ran out my parents added me to their line $10 a month, I could only call friends on free nights and weekends, and I could not text.

I started to pay my phone bill in 11th grade, and I have not looked back since. It establishes independence, something ALL kids need to leanr.
    Really? a CELLPHONE establishes independence? Wonder how that happened BEFORE cellphones came along?
    10-27-08 08:20 PM
    I just don't understand why people get smartphones if they can't use them. Get a cheap $20 phone from whoever your provider is and fight learning how to dial and receive a phone call first. Leave the "smartphones" to "smart" people who know how to use them.
    10-27-08 08:33 PM
    OK, I am going to send YOUR post to my kid, so he will appreciate how I was when he was living with me-lol.

My "deal" with my kid was that he could live at home and go to school, and if he decided that school was not for him, then he could work and take care of himself (which he was pretty much doing since 16 anyway),but once he decided to move out, he was ALSO declaring that he was an adult, and if he came back home after that, he was going to be coming back as a "renter" and would help with the bills from that point.

He's only come home once since then, and lived up to his part of the deal when he did. Things aren't going so great for him and the gf, so he will probably be home again while he gets back on his feet, and he will be paying rent etc while he lives with me.....
    That's cool! I'm honored that you're going to share my post with your son. You should have heard what I told my 8 year old when I was saying my neice who is in 1st grade came home and told my brother-in-law she kissed a boy on the lips. My 8yr old is in 3rd grade and said she would have lied to her parents if she did it. Needless to say, I went off. She gets mad at me all the time but oh well, can't tell you how many of times I've taken all her stuff out of her room.

I guess it's the military in me and my wife laughs all the time. I have "GI Parties" with our daughter! I pull ALL of her stuff, including furniture out of her room into the living room, make her vacume the carpets, steam clean them, dust the window sills, clean the windows, baseboards, tops of the doors, then she dusts all the furniture BEFORE she puts it back, all the clothes are emptied out of her drawers, EVERYTHING! Even make her vacume the drawers out! I'm a mean dad, I know this. But it'll teach her!
    10-27-08 09:24 PM
    ive had a blackberry since i was 14 im 15 now and i will be getting bold Wooo!Btw i pay for my phones :P
    10-27-08 09:48 PM
331 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD