We are not saying you should not have a BB. We are saying you shouldn't have them in class. Major difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-08 06:06 PM
    Being a 17 year old with a blackberry 8830, I am offended.

I run a store on Ebay and use my BB mostly for customer emails and to check my sales.

I do text and make calls but not all teenagers are malicious devils without futures. I purchased my 8830 and the only reason my parents pay for the service is because I found them a really good deal that shares minutes with my mother.

Have some faith in 18 and under.

Good job, glad you have your head on right at that age. Observations are always general. We do know that most teenagers are not malicious devils. There are those that will use their phones during times they shouldn't and because of this schools are taking the offensive. Education is way too important. I carried a cell phone to school too. I made sure no one saw it because they were not allowed.

The world is getting crazy and I feel that the schools should allow phones to brought in but have rules governing use.
    11-01-08 06:29 PM
    We are not saying you should not have a BB. We are saying you shouldn't have them in class. Major difference.

Being in high school, I can assure you it is impossible to text in class. Teachers know every trick and can even hear the clicking of the keys.

Plus, I would NEVER want to risk my BLACKBERRY being taken away. None of my friends would take such a risk either.

If the parents in this thread could go to high school for a day, they would see that teenagers aren't as bad as they were once thought to be.

11-01-08 06:29 PM
    Good job, glad you have your head on right at that age. Observations are always general. We do know that most teenagers are not malicious devils. There are those that will use their phones during times they shouldn't and because of this schools are taking the offensive. Education is way too important. I carried a cell phone to school too. I made sure no one saw it because they were not allowed.

The world is getting crazy and I feel that the schools should allow phones to brought in but have rules governing use.
    I appreciate the hospitality

Schools do govern use and do not tolerate any use during school hours.

I hope parents will feel more comfortable knowing their child has a cell phone at school now.

11-01-08 06:32 PM
    Being in high school, I can assure you it is impossible to text in class. Teachers know every trick and can even hear the clicking of the keys.

Plus, I would NEVER want to risk my BLACKBERRY being taken away. None of my friends would take such a risk either.

If the parents in this thread could go to high school for a day, they would see that teenagers aren't as bad as they were once thought to be.

This is a general statement..... seeing as schools are different in different states and areas... this isn't always true.....

for example schools in smaller area's may have less problems over all with statistics this IMO is simply because of the fact that there is LESS kids..

this leads to making it harder to keep the rules in place... I would assume

and once again I want ro reiterate its often a few bad seeds that make the problem for the ones that are not the bad seeds...

believe me we don't sit around and say ALL kids are bad but there is definitely kids who make it harder to not have the rules...

and if you want me to believe that generally kids have not lost respect for adults I will not believe you sorry I have seen many kids say things to teacher's now a days that if I said I would have had the worst spanking of my life

I am not saying this is all kids but but even if you look at whats on tv compared to what was on tv when I was a kid .... this influences kid's growing up and alot of parents do a great job on helping there kids grow into adults but kids are still influenced by things they learn growing up... its extremely hard for a parent to control what there kid is subject to simply because whats acceptable in media and tv has changed...

well this went completely off topic but I still stand by the fact that if the parent wants there kid to have a blackberry its there rules.... They have the right to let there kid have it if they want and it seems like from previous posts that parents often control the childs usage and such so...

(I know verizon (not sure about other company's) offer's a service for controlling the phone line of your kid)

If company's like verizon are implementing features like this they definitely are helping parents with this...

Parent's are in the end responsible for there children so arguing that point is mute..
    11-01-08 06:59 PM
    That is very true that there are "bad seeds" and I come across them everyday at school.

However, those bad seeds are direct results of their parents.

I was raised on good morals and values and have seen quite the opposite at my high school. Those are usually the kids with the sidekicks and arthritis in the hands by the time they are 18

You're right. Media has ruined our reputation and I can never forgive them

11-01-08 07:07 PM
    I so agree with you on this.

I really miss the time when people kept an eye out for other peoples children and children were held accountable for their actions. Now, if you tell a parent about some wrong doing their child has done, they want to jump on you or tell you to mind your own business. Sorry about going ot.

Oh, and to respond to the original post.

I don't particularly have an issue with the type of phone they have. Obviously, someone has the money to pay for it. My issue is more with them having/using them during school. I can't believe that there is anything that important to say to their friends that can't wait until they get home. In case of emergency, a parent can always call the school and have them notify the child.

I do agree with everything said for the most part save one thing...where as it doesn't have to take a village to raise a child, it helps when it happens.

I am the type of parent that wants to be notified of my children's wrong doings. If someone sees my child doing the wrong thing let me know! As much as I wish I could keep watch on mine all the time....I can't. But if that "Village" sees it then dime them out please!
    Last edited by StarrsNana; 11-01-08 at 07:34 PM.
    11-01-08 07:26 PM
    I so agree with you on this.

I really miss the time when people kept an eye out for other peoples children and children were held accountable for their actions. Now, if you tell a parent about some wrong doing their child has done, they want to jump on you or tell you to mind your own business. Sorry about going ot.

Oh, and to respond to the original post.

I don't particularly have an issue with the type of phone they have. Obviously, someone has the money to pay for it. My issue is more with them having/using them during school. I can't believe that there is anything that important to say to their friends that can't wait until they get home. In case of emergency, a parent can always call the school and have them notify the child.

and I understand why you say that you don't see it as something important to say to there friends....

however the times have changed this is a huge part of the way people in general socialize...

now instead of running to there friends locker and becoming late to class (like i did many times) they just shoot a text over to there friend....

its socialization on a technical level... this is huge IMO

I know you see it as just another thing like why do they have to tell there friend that

but its more the way the community socializes now not about it being important or not...

when your in school at that time those people you talk to and who you communicate with IS very important to them....

its there life

just like when you go to work and socialize with your work friends

we did just as much communication as them at the time we just didn't have the technology to do it as effective...

see were I am coming from now?
    11-01-08 09:08 PM
    No. We got in trouble for passing notes. No phones should be in a classroom period.

Because no one is talking anymore our verbal skills are horrible. I hate hearing people interviewed who don't know proper English. Also our written language is hurting. LOL b4 kewl etc. Just because it is how things are now with the youth does not make it correct.

11-01-08 09:58 PM
    No. We got in trouble for passing notes. No phones should be in a classroom period.

Because no one is talking anymore our verbal skills are horrible. I hate hearing people interviewed who don't know proper English. Also our written language is hurting. LOL b4 kewl etc. Just because it is how things are now with the youth does not make it correct.

Thats my point... its not just youth hahaah

its society in general

the 30 year olds now that are in business you text/email conversations on devices

the 40 year + do as well...

how can everyone use this technology and then turn around and teach are kids its bad....

you spoke my point exactly phones shouldnt be used in classrooms much as alot of us turn ours off in specific meetings...

but to take it away completely is dumb kids dont always learn by what you tell them they learn a ton by what they see and do and interact with...

anyway Once again I completely agree with there is a time and a place to use it and classrooms should not allow it but some kid sending a text message to his friend while going through the hallway to the next class I dont see why that should be punished...
    11-02-08 12:40 AM
    It is bad when ...
    Because no one is talking anymore our verbal skills are horrible. Also our written language is hurting.
    11-02-08 12:58 AM
    Being in high school myself, what this thread has turned into really bothers me.

I'm 17. I have a cell phone.

The school I currently attend is brand new and only opened last year. When building the school they went so far as to put stuff in the walls to deter cell phone signals.
    I understand that they think we're all going to use our phones to cheat, but honestly, that isn't the case.
    No one is stupid enough to use their phone to cheat, and if they are, banning phones isn't going to stop them from cheating.
    Yes, phones make is EASIER to do so, but they could just as easily write stuff down on a piece of paper.

Now, I'll admit I do text my friends as school when I can, when there's a slow moment in class, or if the teacher decides to be lazy.
    But even if I'm not texting my friends, knowing I have my phone is nice.

When I was in 9th grade there was a serious bomb threat at my school. My mom texted me because she'd heard about it and wanted to check to see if everything was ok.
    My parents were the ones that got me a cell phone in the first place, I highly doubt they'd be the ones to say it was ok to not allow me to have it.
    11-02-08 01:10 AM
    The fact that you admit to doing in school proves to me even more that they should not be allowed. It shows no respect to rules and your elders.

11-02-08 01:38 AM
    "The school I currently attend is brand new and only opened last year. When building the school they went so far as to put stuff in the walls to deter cell phone signals."

comon thats pushing it to far...
    Think of what a security risk that is in general...

scenario -- something horrific happens and a teacher or anyone needs immediate communication they can't even use one at that point...

anyone who watches a movie can see this is a bad idea haha
    11-02-08 01:02 AM
    You all may think I am nuts but I am getting my son a BB when he turns 8 he will only be allowed to carry it when he is staying with me not his mother's I trust my boy just don't trust his mother any farther than I can throw her but I learned from a friend of mine givin his kids phones to get unlimited because a kid is gonna answer every time it rings and he got stuck with 2 high bills he couldn't afford took the phones for a few months and when the kids got them back bam.2 big bills minutes and kids don't mix do unlimited and be worry free
    11-02-08 01:31 AM
    The fact that you admit to doing in school proves to me even more that they should not be allowed. It shows no respect to rules and your elders.

Please, tell me WHAT on earth is so bad about using my phone at school?
    I'm not using it to cheat.
    I'm not using it when the teacher is talking.

I'm simply using it when the teacher decides to not teach.

WHY is that so bad?
    11-02-08 02:04 PM
    I have no problem getting my daughter a phone. She can have it the day she can afford the monthly payment.

11-02-08 03:02 PM
    Please, tell me WHAT on earth is so bad about using my phone at school?
    I'm not using it to cheat.
    I'm not using it when the teacher is talking.

I'm simply using it when the teacher decides to not teach.

WHY is that so bad?
    Because schools have rules against it. Because you are there to learn. Because you are not at school to play.

Just because a teacher is not standing up lecturing doesn't mean you are not to be learning.

11-02-08 03:32 PM
    There has been a recurring point made here about declining language skills. In that light I find it ironic the title of this thread features improper use of the apostrophe.

Using a phone in class is simply wrong and rude. Period. You are there to learn, not to socialize, and if the lecture isn't engaging at that moment then open the flippin' book and take the opportunity for self study.

11-02-08 03:44 PM
    How the heck do you come up with 400 bucks on a little over 2 months at age 15?? Where I'm from, the child labor laws prevented you from working over a certain number of hours per week until 16 (I think it was something ridiculously low, like 8 or 10 hours). Certainly not enough to earn 400 bucks in 2 months! When I was ibn high school I remember thinking that 20 dollars was a lot of money. Oh wait...it still is a lot of money...
    Average working high school student works about 20 hours a week at minimum wage.

In Ontario:
    20 x $8.20 = $164 [Under 18]
    20 x $8.75 = $175 [18+]

Per week.

In my final year of high school most of my friends were making $10 - $15k/year.

EDIT: As far as cellphones in the classroom. Instead of lugging my textbook home every night I just whip out my Curve and take a picture of the page of questions I need to answer.

Also, one of my teacher is very fast and I'm generally 3-4 boards behind her while copying down notes, so at the end of the class I take a picture of the 3+ boards I didn't have time to copy down and then bring up the picture on my notebook and write them down into my binder.

EDIT2: I use it for listening to music while studying or doing boring bookwork. eg. Period where our teacher is sick or w.e and we just have questions assigned to use with no lecture or anything.
    Last edited by BryceS; 11-02-08 at 05:44 PM.
    11-02-08 05:41 PM
    I do see where you are coming from, but I am of a different opinion.

l have nothing against using your phone to "shoot off" a quick text here and there, but it gets abused. My opinion is that you are there to learn and also to socialize (at the appropriate time) with an emphasis on learning. Texting during a class, meeting or any genre where you are required to give your full attention is not a necessity, it is a luxury and quite rude (as another poster mentioned).

I also believe that if more students were to pay as much attention in class as they do to texting their friends, they would know the difference between there/their, your/you're or when it is appropriate to use text speak and when it is not.

and I understand why you say that you don't see it as something important to say to there friends....

however the times have changed this is a huge part of the way people in general socialize...

now instead of running to there friends locker and becoming late to class (like i did many times) they just shoot a text over to there friend....

its socialization on a technical level... this is huge IMO

I know you see it as just another thing like why do they have to tell there friend that

but its more the way the community socializes now not about it being important or not...

when your in school at that time those people you talk to and who you communicate with IS very important to them....

its there life

just like when you go to work and socialize with your work friends

we did just as much communication as them at the time we just didn't have the technology to do it as effective...

see were I am coming from now?
    11-02-08 10:12 PM
    I do see where you are coming from, but I am of a different opinion.

l have nothing against using your phone to "shoot off" a quick text here and there, but it gets abused. My opinion is that you are there to learn and also to socialize (at the appropriate time) with an emphasis on learning. Texting during a class, meeting or any genre where you are required to give your full attention is not a necessity, it is a luxury and quite rude (as another poster mentioned).

I also believe that if more students were to pay as much attention in class as they do to texting their friends, they would know the difference between there/their, your/you're or when it is appropriate to use text speak and when it is not.

this is for the most part the point that I was trying to make. If it came off as something else I apologize.

so to sum it up

Having the phone = OK
    Using the phone when your supposed to be learning ie classroom = not ok
    Using the phone at time were it doesn't hurt your learning experience ie. in the hallway, out on recess, during lunch = OK

is this about what your thinking?
    11-02-08 10:27 PM
    Well dear not quite. I believe that they should not be allowed in school period or at least kept in your locker during class.

ETA: You do not need to apologize for stating your opinion, this is a public forum and everyone is entitled.

this is for the most part the point that I was trying to make. If it came off as something else I apologize.

so to sum it up

Having the phone = OK
    Using the phone when your supposed to be learning ie classroom = not ok
    Using the phone at time were it doesn't hurt your learning experience ie. in the hallway, out on recess, during lunch = OK

is this about what your thinking?
    Last edited by StarrsNana; 11-02-08 at 10:43 PM.
    11-02-08 10:32 PM
    Well dear not quite. I believe that they should not be allowed in school period or at least kept in your locker during class.

ETA: You do not need to apologize for stating your opinion, this is a public forum and everyone is entitled.

hahaha im sorry but that was funny i'm in high school and if anyone thinks they are gonna stop us from using phones in school and even class they are dead wrong. At my school using your phone in class and getting caught 3 times in 1 year means they take your phone away for the year.... but that doesn't stop us. I did 2 years of chores saved up 2 birthday presents bought the 3 dollar lunch instead of the 5 dollar lunch just so i could save up for a blackberry... I ended up getting a bold. I love my phone i had a phone for the 2 years which my dad gave me as a birthday gift which he got for $50 and it broke on its own about 3 days after the warranty without a single scratch. Then I went to a blackberry that was like one of the first colour models and looked like a thicker pearl... i think it was from 2003. Before i got my bold i begged my dad to let me get a blackberry plan... the carrier gave him some ridiculously good deal for me and my mom so he said yes. Then my dad also worked my phone down from 400 with a 3 year contract to 250 with a 3 year contract. I take care of my phone to the extent where i won't leave it in my locker by the odd chance someone breaks in and steals it, and i check my pocket every hour just to make sure its in there. I think that no matter how hard you try to keep blackberries out of schools you will never succeed cuz all it means is that we have to be smarter. We even have a ring tone that is at a pitch teachers can't hear for some reason. (We did a test on our science teacher and ever showed him the phone (he is a cool guy) and he said he couldn't hear it... he was in his early to mid 20s imagine those teachers in there 50s. and by the way its not like it was everyone except the person who was purposely testing it couldn't hear considering every student covered their ears when they heard it even the ones who didn't have any idea what was going on. Thats just my opinion we are smart we hide them in binders on our laps, behind pencil cases that are at an angle so the teacher can't see it. So try all you want you won't stop phones in schools. WOW THAT WAS A LONG POST... I moderate another forum and even resignations aren't that long lol.
    11-02-08 11:06 PM

hahaha im sorry but that was funny i'm in high school and if anyone thinks they are gonna stop us from using phones in school and even class they are dead wrong. At my school using your phone in class and getting caught 3 times in 1 year means they take your phone away for the year.... but that doesn't stop us. I did 2 years of chores saved up 2 birthday presents bought the 3 dollar lunch instead of the 5 dollar lunch just so i could save up for a blackberry... I ended up getting a bold. I love my phone i had a phone for the 2 years which my dad gave me as a birthday gift which he got for $50 and it broke on its own about 3 days after the warranty without a single scratch. Then I went to a blackberry that was like one of the first colour models and looked like a thicker pearl... i think it was from 2003. Before i got my bold i begged my dad to let me get a blackberry plan... the carrier gave him some ridiculously good deal for me and my mom so he said yes. Then my dad also worked my phone down from 400 with a 3 year contract to 250 with a 3 year contract. I take care of my phone to the extent where i won't leave it in my locker by the odd chance someone breaks in and steals it, and i check my pocket every hour just to make sure its in there. I think that no matter how hard you try to keep blackberries out of schools you will never succeed cuz all it means is that we have to be smarter. We even have a ring tone that is at a pitch teachers can't hear for some reason. (We did a test on our science teacher and ever showed him the phone (he is a cool guy) and he said he couldn't hear it... he was in his early to mid 20s imagine those teachers in there 50s. and by the way its not like it was everyone except the person who was purposely testing it couldn't hear considering every student covered their ears when they heard it even the ones who didn't have any idea what was going on. Thats just my opinion we are smart we hide them in binders on our laps, behind pencil cases that are at an angle so the teacher can't see it. So try all you want you won't stop phones in schools. WOW THAT WAS A LONG POST... I moderate another forum and even resignations aren't that long lol.
    11-02-08 11:27 PM
331 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD