Well, you see. Nobody was saying that any person's child was bad or anything else, it was just that the topic strayed to like kids using them in school when there are things they should be doing. So since teachers have a limited amount of power, the school(s) set forth a policy on the subject, making all parents aware of the situation, then the parents can act accordingly. If you taught and raised the child right, they'd know not to use it in class.
    I see kids leaving the elementary and middle school across the street from me and the first thing they do when they walk out the front door is jump on their cells either texting or talking, mostly to the kids they just saw in school 5 seconds ago. What could have happened in that time frame that's so important? **I know this cause I usually walk my dog at the same time and have heard the conversations when walking next to them in the street**
    10-28-08 09:39 PM
    I would have done the same.

Boundaries should be firm like this.

But 18...? Thats a bit severe... Or are you using that as a scare tactic, and waiting till she can drive?

LOL
    You applaud jedi for doing the correct thing but you allow your children to break school rules?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 12:38 AM
    What happens when you break the law and get a speeding ticket? YOU HAVE TO PAY A FINE!

What happens if you get to many speeding tickets? YOUR LICENSE GETS SUSPENDED AND YOU CAN'T USE YOUR $20000 + CAR! BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO MAKE THE CAR PAYMENT!

What happens when you get a dui? YOUR CAR IS IMPOUNDED!

You don't fight these rules but you accept them, but you think it is ok to teach your children that if you don't like the school rule that is ok? Schools have policies. They are there for a reason. You don't get to chose which rules you follow and which rules you don't. Taking the phone away for the rest of the day is not gonna teach them anything. The student needs to understand they broke a rule and have to suffer the consequences - like a speeding ticket, suspended license, impounded vehicle.

10-29-08 12:52 AM
    Well, you see. Nobody was saying that any person's child was bad or anything else, it was just that the topic strayed to like kids using them in school when there are things they should be doing. So since teachers have a limited amount of power, the school(s) set forth a policy on the subject, making all parents aware of the situation, then the parents can act accordingly. If you taught and raised the child right, they'd know not to use it in class.
    I see kids leaving the elementary and middle school across the street from me and the first thing they do when they walk out the front door is jump on their cells either texting or talking, mostly to the kids they just saw in school 5 seconds ago. What could have happened in that time frame that's so important? **I know this cause I usually walk my dog at the same time and have heard the conversations when walking next to them in the street**
    So? they start texting and calling as soon as they leave school.....you can't have it both ways--if they can't use them in school and they start as soon as they hit the door, so what? Adults often use the "what could be so important" thing-I remember that my parents didn't think ANYTHING I thought was important was "important".
    10-29-08 08:26 AM
    What happens when you break the law and get a speeding ticket? YOU HAVE TO PAY A FINE!

What happens if you get to many speeding tickets? YOUR LICENSE GETS SUSPENDED AND YOU CAN'T USE YOUR $20000 + CAR! BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO MAKE THE CAR PAYMENT!

What happens when you get a dui? YOUR CAR IS IMPOUNDED!

You don't fight these rules but you accept them, but you think it is ok to teach your children that if you don't like the school rule that is ok? Schools have policies. They are there for a reason. You don't get to chose which rules you follow and which rules you don't. Taking the phone away for the rest of the day is not gonna teach them anything. The student needs to understand they broke a rule and have to suffer the consequences - like a speeding ticket, suspended license, impounded vehicle.

To each their own......just as I'd have fought the school on the dress code, I'd have fought them on the phone policy.....that said, my child never had a problem in either area.
    10-29-08 08:38 AM
    To each their own......just as I'd have fought the school on the dress code, I'd have fought them on the phone policy.....that said, my child never had a problem in either area.
    I have got to know, what would be your issue with the dress code?
    10-29-08 09:16 AM
    I have got to know, what would be your issue with the dress code?
    His school banned Prada.
    10-29-08 09:21 AM
    His school banned Prada.
    Now that is too funny!!!!!
    10-29-08 09:40 AM
    You applaud jedi for doing the correct thing but you allow your children to break school rules?

I applaud Jedi for exercising HIS RIGHT as a PARENT to Discipline HIS own Children.

It is Sad that Now a Days Parents are taking a laissez faire attitude towards parenting and the Schooling system has to pick up the slack as a result.

I Have no Problem with having a Cell Phone Confiscated, So Long as It is Given to the Parent.

As far as I'm concerned the School has ZERO Right To Confiscate a Device that Comes With Such a Hefty Price Tag for such an extended period of time.

Especially Since the Student Most Likely Didn't Pay for it, Their parent did.

If I had purchased a Cellphone For My Kid, and it was confiscated for a WHOLE Semester, I Would beat the sh-- out of them [my kid], then punish them, then throw the Scandal of the Century at the school when I find out I wasted 400 dollars on a phone that can not be used until 4-5 months later.

I never said- Phones should be used in the classroom.

Phones should be put away, and turned off in school [Grades 12 and Below].

But I don't think they should be excommunicated from the school property "Just Because".

If Laptops are Permitted in Classrooms, Why Not Cellphones?

You Can Certainly Do More on a Laptop than a Cellphone-

Yet You See more and more High School Kids, and Middle School Students with Laptops in the Classroom As Well.

But Since You Have the Potential to be taking "Notes" They're Permissable.

Well, I can take notes on my phone too, and I won't have to lug around a laptop.

You Can Snicker all you want Envied-

I'm Sure there are Many Others That Feel The Same Way as I do- And I'm Sure Deep Down Inside that If you bought your child a cell phone and it got taken away for an extended period of time you would get annoyed.

It's like flushing money away.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 10-29-08 at 10:24 AM.
    10-29-08 10:14 AM
    I applaud Jedi for exercising HIS RIGHT as a PARENT to Discipline HIS own Children.

It is Sad that Now a Days Parents are taking a laissez faire attitude towards parenting and the Schooling system has to pick up the slack as a result.

I Have no Problem with having a Cell Phone Confiscated, So Long as It is Given to the Parent.

As far as I'm concerned the School has ZERO Right To Confiscate a Device that Comes With Such a Hefty Price Tag for such an extended period of time.

Especially Since the Student Most Likely Didn't Pay for, Their parent did.

If I had purchased a Cellphone For My Kid, and it was confiscated for a WHOLE Semester, I Would beat the sh-- out of them [my kid], then punish them, then throw the Scandal of the Century at the school when I find out I wasted 400 dollars on a phone that can not be used until 4-5 months later.

I never said- Phones should be used in the classroom.

Phones should be put away, and turned off in school [Grades 12 and Below].

But I don't think they should be excommunicated from the school property "Just Because".

If Laptops are Permitted in Classrooms, Why Not Cellphones?

You Can Certainly Do More on a Laptop than a Cellphone-

Yet You See more and more High School Kids, and Middle School Students with Laptops in the Classroom As Well.

But Since You Have the Potential to be taking "Notes" They're Permissable.

Well, I can take notes on my phone too, and I won't have to lug around a laptop.

You Can Snicker all you want Envied-

I'm Sure there are Many Others That Feel The Same Way as I do- And I'm Sure Deep Down Inside that If you bought your child a cell phone and it got taken away for an extended period of time you would get annoyed.

It's like flushing money away.
    Prada---I think you and the others who agree with in regards to the cellphone being taken are missing the point. I will try one last time to lay it out for you all.

1. The school has a code of conduct that CLEARLY states NO CELLPHONES and the penalty for having the cellphone. (I don't agree with paying to get the cellphone back).

2. A parent purchases the cellphone for the child. The child has the cellphone out in school and it gets confiscated.

3. The administration following procedure AS OUTLINE IN CODE OF CONDUCT confiscates the phone.

In this situation the parent should NOT fight that. FIrst and foremost, the code of conduct went home at beginning of year. It is supposed to be read by parent and student and signed off on that it was read. So the parent knowing the consequence allows (in some cases does not allow) the child to take the phone to school. RISK. The phone gets taken---in my opinion the parent - knowing the RULES before hand has no leg to stand on. If the phone was that expensive, and you pay for it----you should have taken better precautions to make sure your child did not break the rules.

Additionally, parents who do this are sending the message to their kids, whether they believe so or not, that they are above the rules as laid out.

Now, ask anyone who knows me, I firmly believe a rule is meant to be broken if it is what in the best interest of the CHILD (not the parent). I also believe there are rules in schools currently that should be challenged (NOT AFTER THE FACT!!!!!) There is an appropriate way to to do, what a better message to teach your child---yes you can challenge the rules - but not after you break them which makes you look like a spoiled brat!!!!

As far as cellphones in school - there is ABSOLUTELY no way to ensure kids will not text or call one another ---- that is why laptops (social networking sites and instant messaging sites can and are blocked) are allowed and cell
    phones aren't!!!!!

I hope this helps!!!!
    10-29-08 10:28 AM
    I personally think that a child shouldn't have a phone that just me though. Now I do agree that if there able to work and pay for it they can have one. When I was able to pay for one I was so happy. I felt independent and so responsible. Most kids are just handed things and don't learn anything by it. I don't think an 8 year old needs a cell phone nor a 10 year old. When I was young I didn't have a cell phone and I came out ok. If I went anywhere my parents gave me there cell phone to use. Just my opinion so please don't rip my head off lol.
    10-29-08 11:06 AM
    I personally think that a child shouldn't have a phone that just me though. Now I do agree that if there able to work and pay for it they can have one. When I was able to pay for one I was so happy. I felt independent and so responsible. Most kids are just handed things and don't learn anything by it. I don't think an 8 year old needs a cell phone nor a 10 year old. When I was young I didn't have a cell phone and I came out ok. If I went anywhere my parents gave me there cell phone to use. Just my opinion so please don't rip my head off lol.
    No ones going to rip your head off... Yet

We're all nice here, even though It may not seem that way.

The world would be boring if everyone felt the same way!
    10-29-08 11:11 AM
    My 16 year old daughter has one.
    She uses the alarm clock, the calendar. Records homework on it. Makes reminders for herself. Took to the thing like a pro.
    She can't use it while school is in session. Still does on the sly sometimes.

I did have to rescue her and her phone from the principal once. She was in complete emotional meltdown in a bathroom in the school and called her mother. Teacher heard her dragged her to the office. A Bully was stalking her and she was scared and wanted her mother. Not letting her get penalized for calling me for help ever.

Chatting with a friend she takes her lumps.

She's had a cell since she was 9 so the novelty of most of it has worn off. She can control herself. I do have to pay for unlimited texts but it's only $10 a month more and cheaper in the long run. I find myself texting more and more anyway.

Me, I'm still reading the directions.
    10-29-08 12:55 PM
    The thing with cell phones in school, some teacher take a blind eye to it (sorry if i spell anything wrong i have issues typing lol) In my high school i had teachers who would send it to the princable and u would have to get it at the end of the day and usualy get detenion, I had a teacher who when we walked into class we put them in his desk or the desk at the front of the room, if it rang no one got in trouble, we would get it back after class, but if we didnt give in our phone and it rang it went right down the the princables office and we got in trouble, I am an education major, and i think that young kids with cells are redic but i do understand it at times, when a family sees that a child needs a cell phone then obviously for a family reason they have a cell phone, we cant argue that, we just have to turn away and let it be, us fighting with everyone telling them that young kids should not have a cell will not do anything, if anything people will just argue over it
    10-29-08 05:44 PM
    Maybe that may not apply to kansas or alaska- wherever you teach- whatever-

But It Does Here In NJ.

I'm Glad You Feel like you know everything.
    You know, you applaud boundaries, but you say schools should not be able to enforce theirs. (If anyone took MY phone blah blah)

What are you, 12? Get a grip. YOU are the only one spouting like you know everything.
    10-30-08 09:03 PM
    The thing with cell phones in school, some teacher take a blind eye to it (sorry if i spell anything wrong i have issues typing lol) In my high school i had teachers who would send it to the princable and u would have to get it at the end of the day and usualy get detenion, I had a teacher who when we walked into class we put them in his desk or the desk at the front of the room, if it rang no one got in trouble, we would get it back after class, but if we didnt give in our phone and it rang it went right down the the princables office and we got in trouble, I am an education major, and i think that young kids with cells are redic but i do understand it at times, when a family sees that a child needs a cell phone then obviously for a family reason they have a cell phone, we cant argue that, we just have to turn away and let it be, us fighting with everyone telling them that young kids should not have a cell will not do anything, if anything people will just argue over it

If there is a "good family reason" to have a phone, then that "good family reason" can be used to make specific contact arrangements through the school's office. If the policy is no phones, then nobody should have phones.
    10-30-08 09:05 PM
    How the heck do you come up with 400 bucks on a little over 2 months at age 15?? Where I'm from, the child labor laws prevented you from working over a certain number of hours per week until 16 (I think it was something ridiculously low, like 8 or 10 hours). Certainly not enough to earn 400 bucks in 2 months! When I was ibn high school I remember thinking that 20 dollars was a lot of money. Oh wait...it still is a lot of money...

I worked from late June to mid August two days a week. I made roughly $1200 this summer.

I already had the money sitting around.

To add more:

When I said 'kids are texting and emailing each other all day', I meant before/after school, the breaks and lunch. Some do during class, but it's not an obvious thing and they don't ignore what's going on in class.

Certain teachers are better about cell phones. In my English class, we can have cell phones out on our desks and we can text/email if we're doing it at a convenient time (not during a test or discussion). On the other hand, my Band teacher will take away your phone if he sees you texting on it. He has allowed us to use it for emergency calls, etc.

During breaks and lunch, we're allowed to use our phones as much as we want to call/text/email or whatever. They're lenient on it that way. We can also step out of class to use our phones if it's our parents/guardians calling.

-----

I'm a very tech-oriented kid. I recently bought a new $1700 MacBook (paid for half of it) and bought an iPod Touch a few months ago (paid for half yet again). I use my Touch a lot during school for notes, To Do lists, calendars, contacts and keeping myself organized in general. I've made use of it in every way. I send numerous emails during the day to friends cross country and overseas. I'm getting a BlackBerry in order to stay in contact 99% of the time. My MacBook and Touch keep me in touch only a fraction of the time.

As for paying for the plan, I believe kids should kick in the BlackBerry Data part of the plan at the least. For my parents and I, we normally will split the cost of expensive items (bikes, electronics, etc). For us, they pay $39 and I pay $35 a month. That works out fine for the three of us. I also pay for the phone and upgrades.

It's different for every parent/kid but kids should pay for part of it. For me at least it makes me treat it with more respect knowing that I've put my own money into it.

My two cents.

~Bcloutier~
    Last edited by Bcloutier; 10-30-08 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Added in my opinion on the topic.
    10-30-08 10:56 PM
    well strangely enough this post really got me thinking back to when I was in school and specific instance that happened to me

(keep in mind this is many years ago there was not "cell" phones like there is now)

I believe it was freshman year of high school... The summer before my parents purchased a pager for me because I would leave and be gone for hours and they had no way of really contacting me when your out hanging with friends in a typical summer I lived in a good neighborhood and things were pretty safe but still they wanted a way to contact me...

I had the pager on my hip everyday throughout the summer and school came back around at the time pagers were definetly banned from school..

So for the most part I followed the rules rarely ever brought it to school however one day after a weekend not even thinking I woke up monday morning threw my pager on my hip and went to school

second period came around and a teacher spotted it on my hip didn't beep didn't go off she just spotted it. She grabbed me took me to the office the principal came in I was yelled at from them for about 1 hour or so they took the pager wrote me up called my parents suspended me for 3 days

on the suspension ticket was in clear words (bringing a weopan to school)

For one thing a pager is not a weopan what am I going to do throw it at a kid and hit him in the head with it I was being treated like a criminal...

so for that three day suspension my parents basically laughed at how dumb it was I sat around for three days and played video games...

anyway I can understand it being a distraction in class to have these devices but I also do think that sometimes the schools take things a bit far in certain situations having a no use policy during class is a good idea... but taking the device away is not....

Punishing a kid for having a cell phone on them is dumb!!!! period

Punishing a kid for using a cellphone when he is supposed to be learning yes I understand that...

And yes many teachers say if the kids have to contact there parents they can use the phone here blah blah blah.....

Its important to have rules in a school no doubt and I understand that it can be frustrating but I know many teachers and alot of them also complain about how disrespectful some of the kids are to them.... Well look at it from there view also locking them down like there going to jail every day isn't going to make them like you...

Within reason you have to set rules... but theres a fine line between being "strict" and being to "strict"

and honestly I really like the idea of the teacher having the kids put there cellphone on his desk before class etc etc that seemed like a proper way to do things

Don't get me wrong Im not trying to come down on teachers most the teachers I talk to I can tell care about the kids they teach im sure there is a few bad seeds out there but what job doesnt have bad seeds...

And I know when a school sets a rule its your job to make sure those rules stand so most the time its not fully in your control...

I just see technology phones/computers/internet as a lifestyle now its not like it used to be.

(also I don't have kids of my own but you better believe if I did once they got to a certain age they would have some type of cellphone and I would enforce the rules on the use of it **** alot of companys even allow you to put limits on there usage if you want to I just will always believe that its a parents right to choose what there kid has)

Sorry If this attacks anyone not what the post was meant for it was my opinion...
    10-31-08 02:59 AM
    on the suspension ticket was in clear words (bringing a weopan to school)
    Your parents would have had every fight to fight this. You didn't bring a weapon. However if it had been written correctly I would say the school did the correct thing - if it was school policy.

I was being treated like a criminal...
    So you are only a criminal if you break certain laws and rules?

Its important to have rules in a school no doubt and I understand that it can be frustrating but I know many teachers and alot of them also complain about how disrespectful some of the kids are to them....
    Hence the problem. (Many) Parents don't teach respect. When was the last time you were called Mr/Mrs/Ms? I never called a friend's parent by their first name. I would have NEVER talked back or argued with an adult. You see this every day. I wonder if these parents even know what respect is.

Well look at it from there view also locking them down like there going to jail every day isn't going to make them like you...
    So we teach them they don't have to follow rules? So we let them do whatever they want to do? There are several places that fire you for not going by there rules. I know many people who are not allowed to have a cell phone at work. They would be fired on the spot if caught with one. Should their mom/dad go fight with the boss because "Jonny" lost his job and it is unfair. "Jonny" now isn't gonna be able to make his car payment and the company had no right to do this to him?

Also, you break a law you can go to jail. You decide which laws you don't want to follow. You don't get to decide what consequences you get.

10-31-08 10:11 AM
    Your parents would have had every fight to fight this. You didn't bring a weapon. However if it had been written correctly I would say the school did the correct thing - if it was school policy.

So you are only a criminal if you break certain laws and rules?

Hence the problem. (Many) Parents don't teach respect. When was the last time you were called Mr/Mrs/Ms? I never called a friend's parent by their first name. I would have NEVER talked back or argued with an adult. You see this every day. I wonder if these parents even know what respect is.

So we teach them they don't have to follow rules? So we let them do whatever they want to do? There are several places that fire you for not going by there rules. I know many people who are not allowed to have a cell phone at work. They would be fired on the spot if caught with one. Should their mom/dad go fight with the boss because "Jonny" lost his job and it is unfair. "Jonny" now isn't gonna be able to make his car payment and the company had no right to do this to him?

Also, you break a law you can go to jail. You decide which laws you don't want to follow. You don't get to decide what consequences you get.

ya see you look at it in a different way I just dont see a phone as something that should be a LAW....

its been talked about that the kids get there phones taken away... and they can't get them back...

thats not right sorry... yes I understand that at times they may not use them at the right times and so on... but a phone isn't like it used to be its a life style now...

for starters all your responses target the fact that there breaking the rule.. to begin with and if you would have read what I said I know somewere in there I said its not really in the teachers control they have to enforce the rules...

My argument is that the rule shouldn't exist to begin with..

at least about having phones in general... if there using them during class time yes this is a problem...

but taken them away making the parents come in to get them is dumb making it so they cant use them at school at all is dumb!

and as far as how they labled it for me this was a long time ago times were different.... adults of that time.. viewed pagers as a "drug dealer thing" the problem is when something gets viewed in the media like that it makes anyone who has one look bad....
    Last edited by noaim; 10-31-08 at 03:43 PM.
    10-31-08 03:35 PM
    i agree that if the rule is no cell phones in school they shouldt be there, but for high schools that have open campus its good to have and some times its needed, I used my phone very little although yes i did text an dwhat not in high school, but my phone was strongly useful when i needed my mom or when i was sick or soething like that....not all teachers are willing to just send kids to the office to use the phone, and i dont beleive we have a payphone anymore so really it was can i go to thje bathroom and iwould use the phone, but i also think that if ur in class ur phone should either be switched to silent or completely off
    10-31-08 09:56 PM
    Xxxxxpradaxxxx. I noticed a large portion of all your words in a sentence are Capitalized. Whazzap whif dat?

11-01-08 05:52 AM
    I really appreciate how reasonably noaim and aglaze1 are stgating their points - not attacking people, but making their observations. I take issue with a couple of items they mentioned.

noaim talked about the phone thing being a "rule" and not a "law." But when we go to school, we are entering a community, and the rules of that community ARE its laws. You don't think the ban on phones should be a rule. Fine. But that doesn't give you the right to break that rule - only to reasonably protest it, and try to get it changed.

aglaze 1 talked about asking to go to the bathroom so she could use her phone. How is LYING going to make you more respectable, and give you any credibility if you did want to pursue changing the rule? When you engage in fraudulent behavior, people begin to doubt they can trust your word - on anything, not just on phones or bathroom use. And if there are people lying all over the place about that, then why should anyone ever let you out of class?

See, rules are made for the people with the worst behavior, and we all pay. If we cannot trust everyone, it is harder to trust anyone. And so often, instead of rationally trying to talk about it, students get upset and just decide they'll break the rules.

And I can't believe anybody has open campus anymore - oy, the liability. If I can be sued because YOU do something stupid, then I will thank you to just follow the rules and not argue.

Can you see the problem?

I am waxing long, here, but I'll give an example. Several years ago, we stopped allowing food out of our cafeteria. Students were littering the halls with their trash. In fact, when asked to clean up after themselves at lunch they would be heard to respond, "Oh, please! We have [I]janitors[I] for that."

How horrible an attitude.

So, no food was allowed outside the cafe. Well, since school starts at 7:30, and lunches didn't start for the high school until 11:45 - or even later - students were understandably losing stamina and feeling hungry.

A group of students did research on the effects of this problem, and presented the results to the school council. A compromise was agreed upon - a snack time during third period, a privilege which would be revoked if we went back to the old ways of trashing the school.

It has worked out.

Hence, if some students would do some research on why they need to have their phones in school, and can talk about ways to prevent cheating on tests (with the camera phones), or filming/photoing people without their permission, or dealing drugs all day, and they took this data and presented it thoughtfully and rationally, and could come up to a compromise, then maybe the rest of this discussion about confiscating phones would not longer be necessary.

Right now, we're just seeing people lie about needing to use the rest room, and complaining a lot when they get the justified consequence of breaking the rules.

That makes them liars and whiners, and clearly not worth listening to.

Keep coming at this rationally, noaim and aglaze1 - we need people like you.
    11-01-08 05:03 PM
    I really appreciate how reasonably noaim and aglaze1 are stgating their points - not attacking people, but making their observations. I take issue with a couple of items they mentioned.

noaim talked about the phone thing being a "rule" and not a "law." But when we go to school, we are entering a community, and the rules of that community ARE its laws. You don't think the ban on phones should be a rule. Fine. But that doesn't give you the right to break that rule - only to reasonably protest it, and try to get it changed.

aglaze 1 talked about asking to go to the bathroom so she could use her phone. How is LYING going to make you more respectable, and give you any credibility if you did want to pursue changing the rule? When you engage in fraudulent behavior, people begin to doubt they can trust your word - on anything, not just on phones or bathroom use. And if there are people lying all over the place about that, then why should anyone ever let you out of class?

See, rules are made for the people with the worst behavior, and we all pay. If we cannot trust everyone, it is harder to trust anyone. And so often, instead of rationally trying to talk about it, students get upset and just decide they'll break the rules.

And I can't believe anybody has open campus anymore - oy, the liability. If I can be sued because YOU do something stupid, then I will thank you to just follow the rules and not argue.

Can you see the problem?

I am waxing long, here, but I'll give an example. Several years ago, we stopped allowing food out of our cafeteria. Students were littering the halls with their trash. In fact, when asked to clean up after themselves at lunch they would be heard to respond, "Oh, please! We have [I]janitors[I] for that."

How horrible an attitude.

So, no food was allowed outside the cafe. Well, since school starts at 7:30, and lunches didn't start for the high school until 11:45 - or even later - students were understandably losing stamina and feeling hungry.

A group of students did research on the effects of this problem, and presented the results to the school council. A compromise was agreed upon - a snack time during third period, a privilege which would be revoked if we went back to the old ways of trashing the school.

It has worked out.

Hence, if some students would do some research on why they need to have their phones in school, and can talk about ways to prevent cheating on tests (with the camera phones), or filming/photoing people without their permission, or dealing drugs all day, and they took this data and presented it thoughtfully and rationally, and could come up to a compromise, then maybe the rest of this discussion about confiscating phones would not longer be necessary.

Right now, we're just seeing people lie about needing to use the rest room, and complaining a lot when they get the justified consequence of breaking the rules.

That makes them liars and whiners, and clearly not worth listening to.

Keep coming at this rationally, noaim and aglaze1 - we need people like you.
    yes I mostly agree with this... once the rule is set in place I do truly believe that it has to be enforced that is without a doubt correct if the rules aren't enforced then whats the point of having a rule... I just personal think that the rules are sometimes to broad and should be more specific such as changing it to "no using cellphone's during class"

I mean I have seen the text messaging thing as a problem with hearing about kids cheating on tests and such this can be a issue IMO not saying that all kids cheat but when some do your idea of it making it bad for the rest is like completely true...
    11-01-08 05:39 PM
    Being a 17 year old with a blackberry 8830, I am offended.

I run a store on Ebay and use my BB mostly for customer emails and to check my sales.

I do text and make calls but not all teenagers are malicious devils without futures. I purchased my 8830 and the only reason my parents pay for the service is because I found them a really good deal that shares minutes with my mother.

Have some faith in 18 and under.

11-01-08 06:00 PM
331 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD