DJManos,

In NJ Teachers rule the State moreso than the Governor with their Unions.

You May Not Believe in Unions In YOUR House- But Certainly there are many that do.

Try Getting a Teacher Fired in NJ- You Have to Jump Through all these Hoops designed by the Union- and the Second they feel they are being chaffed by any sort of restriction its PROTEST Time.

~~~

If a BURGLAR can file suite against me for breaking their leg while robbing my house-

I'm POSITIVE that A Student Can File Suite for Their $ 400 Cell Phone.

Now a days you can file suite for any frivolous Concern.

You would be Naiive to think any differently.

And You Can AMEN All you want to that.
    10-28-08 03:23 PM
    DJManos,

You May Not Believe in Unions In YOUR House- But Certainly there are many that do.

Try Getting a Teacher Fired in NJ- You Have to Jump Through all these Hoops designed by the Union- and the Second they feel they are being chaffed by any sort of restriction its PROTEST Time.

~~~

If a BURGLAR can file suite against me for breaking their leg while robbing my house-

Well, thank God I live in Texas and not NJ.

And sure, you can file all you want but that doesn't mean you will get anywhere. Using your own words it would be "frivolous."

I think you will find I have a much greater grasp of the law than you might think. (There is a reason for that)

Read the links I posted above.
    10-28-08 03:34 PM
    With attitudes like yours to teachers they probably need the unions. From the sounds of it, the teachers are having to do the parenting. Just because you don't like a teacher is not a reason to be fired. Maybe you need to do some volunteering in a classroom if you don't like what you see.

It is exactly your attitude that is causing many districts to be hurting for good teachers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 03:37 PM
    No its the Government that sets these standards on the schooling systems.

Things like the Abbott District, were meant to help NJ.

But in the end all they did was unbalance the system, and cause more problems for the already failing school system in NJ.

Teachers are pressured to pass children, lest they lose their jobs.

Which sets up the system for failure.

And in regards to those "frivolous" law suits, they do happen.

Luckily this is why we have Homeowners insurance.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 10-28-08 at 04:03 PM.
    10-28-08 04:00 PM
    I have taught at all levels. Currently I teach struggling readers and non-readers in 1st and 2nd grade. There is absolutely nothing like seeing a child who has struggled or could not do something do it, the look on their face and their feeling of success and accomplishment PRICELESS --- this is regardless of the level in my case it just so happens to be elementary reading!!!!!
    I praise you for helping kids that have trouble reading my daughter was held back last year in kindergarden because the teacher did not work on reading with her. lucky this year we move to another school district and the teachers here care about the kids and she is doing great she is above normal now. I found out her last teacher is under investigation for being lazy and not teaching right. I was involved with her school and the teacher did not tell me she had a problem till the last min then said she would have to be held back.
    10-28-08 04:02 PM
    I praise you for helping kids that have trouble reading my daughter was held back last year in kindergarden because the teacher did not work on reading with her. lucky this year we move to another school district and the teachers here care about the kids and she is doing great she is above normal now. I found out her last teacher is under investigation for being lazy and not teaching right. I was involved with her school and the teacher did not tell me she had a problem till the last min then said she would have to be held back.
    Are you in Philadelphia, I am in the burbs?
    10-28-08 04:27 PM
    DJManos,

~~~

There are bad teachers just as there are bad people in EVERY profession. The problem I have is that you continue to generalize. Yes, there are teachers that need to be fired but becuase of people like you, there are procedures and policies put in place to protect those from parents who want a teacher fired for and not limited to: "they took my kids cell phone", "I dont like my kids teacher" "my kids teacher said and did ..." complain, complain, complain as if they have any idea what it takes on a day to day basis to be a teacher!!!!!
    10-28-08 04:29 PM
    I'm in kansas I just move to a subburb

10-28-08 04:30 PM
    My almost 14 year old daughter just got her first phone and yes it was a hand me down. Not buying her a new one until I see how responsible she is with it. I pay for the service but explained to her that if she runs up a bill beyond what the shared plan was, she was paying for it even if it means selling her 4gb I-Pod.

She also knows that since her mother and I are paying for it, I have the right to inspect the phone and the information stored anytime I see fit or feel an urge. Same goes with her laptop that I bought and the wireless internet that I provide. She screws up, it all goes until I decide otherwise if at all. My house, my money, my rules.

As for the teachers comment's. Kids have no business having a cell phone turned on during school hours in a normal situation period. I'm thinking the only exception might be a crazed gunman on campus but most classes now have a phone in them with the capability to dial an outside line.

I am siding with DJ and envied on this. The rules are there for a reason. If you can't follow them, then be prepared to face the consequences for your actions. It's just that simple. My daughter knows if her phone gets confiscated or any of her property and I have to go after it, she will NEVER see it again.
    Now I'm hurt and going to cry in a corner cause my name wasn't in there for you agreeing with! j/k
    10-28-08 04:32 PM
    I remember when I was in school we had pagers and we wore short under our pant so we could clip the pager to them. If they found my pager I would lose it. That is how I will be with my kids phone. And I won't spende more the a hundred on a phone for them. If they lose or break it they can buy the next one.

10-28-08 04:34 PM
    There are bad teachers just as there are bad people in EVERY profession. The problem I have is that you continue to generalize. Yes, there are teachers that need to be fired but becuase of people like you, there are procedures and policies put in place to protect those from parents who want a teacher fired for and not limited to: "they took my kids cell phone", "I dont like my kids teacher" "my kids teacher said and did ..." complain, complain, complain as if they have any idea what it takes on a day to day basis to be a teacher!!!!!
    Heh.

It's Human Nature To Generalize.

It's Assumed that there are exceptions to rules.

I'm sure there are good teachers, as I am sure there are parasitic malevolent teachers.

If it's my job to do something, I am held accountable to do it-

Regardless of having 10 pieces of chalk instead of 15...

Regardless if the Nazi-PTA Commitee is standing outside my Classroom Door with Torches Because We did a Morning Prayer..

It's far to easy to point fingers.

Either way, I won't retract what I said to please you.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 10-28-08 at 04:41 PM.
    10-28-08 04:36 PM
    DJManos,

~~~

And here is the reason why everyone is so sue happy in the world! No wonder why being a lawyer is such a lucrative business.
    10-28-08 04:40 PM
    My daughter was texting and talking after the 9 o'clock curfew and I had to snatch the phone. Nice enV2 it was about a week old...sent that bad boy right back!! This is the second time this year that we have had issues concerning the cell phone. So now she can get one when she is 18, not living in our house, or not living in our house and paying for it all on her own.

I coded the bill over the weekend and it was evident that she was calling a particular boy that my wife do not approve of and have never met. She knew the boundries, she crossed them and the wife and I became judge and jury now we are the wardens! It is lock down prison up in this house!!!
    10-28-08 04:42 PM
    My daughter was texting and talking after the 9 o'clock curfew and I had to snatch the phone. Nice enV2 it was about a week old...sent that bad boy right back!! This is the second time this year that we have had issues concerning the cell phone. So now she can get one when she is 18, not living in our house, or not living in our house and paying for it all on her own.

I coded the bill over the weekend and it was evident that she was calling a particular boy that my wife do not approve of and have never met. She knew the boundries, she crossed them and the wife and I became judge and jury now we are the wardens! It is lock down prison up in this house!!!
    I would have done the same.

Boundaries should be firm like this.

But 18...? Thats a bit severe... Or are you using that as a scare tactic, and waiting till she can drive?

LOL
    10-28-08 04:43 PM

Good for you! Set boundries and enforce them!
    10-28-08 04:47 PM
    Heh.

It's Human Nature To Generalize.

It's Assumed that there are exceptions to rules.

I'm sure there are good teachers, as I am sure there are parasitic malevolent teachers.

If it's my job to do something, I am held accountable to do it-

Regardless of having 10 pieces of chalk instead of 15...

Regardless if the Nazi-PTA Commitee is standing outside my Classroom Door with Torches Because We did a Morning Prayer..

It's far to easy to point fingers.

Either way, I won't retract what I said to please you.
    I dont want you to retract anything you said, what I do want is for you to speak about what you know and leave what you don't know alone! I also want you to realize that while it is human nature to generalize, that does not mean you should do it!
    Last edited by envied; 10-28-08 at 04:50 PM.
    10-28-08 04:47 PM
    Maybe that may not apply to kansas or alaska- wherever you teach- whatever-

But It Does Here In NJ.

I'm Glad You Feel like you know everything.
    10-28-08 04:50 PM

Dude, that's so awesome! I applaud you! Put that foot down! HAIL DAD! HAIL DAD!
    10-28-08 04:52 PM

should install a payphone that will show here lol $.50 a call and you can restrict number you don't want her to call.
    10-28-08 04:55 PM
    Oops, I hope I didn't start a fight with things that I've said. I wasn't trying to but apparently the OP didn't know that this would become a heated topic of discussion!
    10-28-08 05:02 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what does an 8 year old need a cell phone for? Not questioning your choice of buying one for your child, just wondering what the purpose is of a child that young having a cell phone.
    10-28-08 05:02 PM
    should install a payphone that will show here lol $.50 a call and you can restrict number you don't want her to call.
    That'd be a good idea! Or see if you can tap the phone line! Go all CIA on her! Don't ya wish they had like a GPS device you can put in your kid so you know where they're at all the time? That'd be cool!
    10-28-08 05:05 PM
    I would have done the same.

Boundaries should be firm like this.

But 18...? Thats a bit severe... Or are you using that as a scare tactic, and waiting till she can drive?

LOL
    Scare tactic, not at all. I am serious as the jacked up economy. She is 16 and isn't able to follow the rules. Yeah she has gone over on her minutes, yeah she downloaded stuff that she shouldn't have. Yes she knew what was allowed and she went against it anyway.

She is old enough to have her temporary license...but she can't follow the rules. If I can't trust her to follow the rules concerning the little things I can't in good faith trust her to be faithful in the greater things.

She wants to drive and get a car. I just tell I want her to attempt to do the right thing in everything she does. I don't think my kids are perfect or can do everything perfectly, but I do expect them to try for perfection.

She is a Jr in HS without a temps, license, or car. Sucks for her but it isn't my fault. As parents we can only parent and raise our kids as diligently as possible. The kids have to take ownership of their rearing and abide by it.

I am just a parent who believes that my kids are my responsibility to raise. It is not for teachers, government officials, or the community to be the main contributers for their upbringing!
    10-28-08 05:06 PM
    That's cool! I'm honored that you're going to share my post with your son. You should have heard what I told my 8 year old when I was saying my neice who is in 1st grade came home and told my brother-in-law she kissed a boy on the lips. My 8yr old is in 3rd grade and said she would have lied to her parents if she did it. Needless to say, I went off. She gets mad at me all the time but oh well, can't tell you how many of times I've taken all her stuff out of her room.

I guess it's the military in me and my wife laughs all the time. I have "GI Parties" with our daughter! I pull ALL of her stuff, including furniture out of her room into the living room, make her vacume the carpets, steam clean them, dust the window sills, clean the windows, baseboards, tops of the doors, then she dusts all the furniture BEFORE she puts it back, all the clothes are emptied out of her drawers, EVERYTHING! Even make her vacume the drawers out! I'm a mean dad, I know this. But it'll teach her!
    Darlin, I'm ex military as well......and I can't even imagine doing that to a child of mine.....I hated it when I was in the military, and would never subject someone I loved to it.....we all do what we will to our kids, but I have to ask--exactly WHAT will it teach her, except that YOU are the boss?
    Last edited by dlgus; 10-28-08 at 05:16 PM. Reason: had a question
    10-28-08 05:14 PM
    I tell you what, any school that took something that I or my kid paid for and thought it was their right to hold it till the end of the semester would have me right in their face. Taking the phone because the kid is acting out with it? I'm right there with them--but the phone is NOT the property of the teacher OR the school, and as such, it should be given back to the student--and a note sent to the parent informing them of school policy(if one exists)
    10-28-08 05:20 PM
331 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD