Well thats your Opinion.

Theres a reason schools have Cubbys/locker/whatever.

Cell Phones Should be Put away- Not BANISHED Because your teaching skills can't hold a childs interest long enough for him to learn how to write his name.

Toys Dont Go for 400+ If they do- you must work at one of those "Montessori" schools and well then you don't count.

(They Do Whatever they want anyway.)

If you read my post, it was an emergency, they had no way of advising the parents early on.

I'm glad you would offer to call your student's parents, but more often than not, Teachers couldn't care less about their students.

Maybe your the exception, but now a days, teachers don't teach for the love of teaching.

They teach for a sweet pension, early retirement, benefits, and a sweet summer vacation.

Not to mention their "mafia-like" union.

Theft- the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another; larceny.

Sounds like your Stealing my Phone to me.

Again, Most often then not, when toys are confiscated, they're confiscated for the day. NOT the semester.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 10-28-08 at 12:36 PM.
    10-28-08 12:26 PM
    And that's why they make school phones that are available for use by students for emergency purposes. They also have pay phones available!

First Off- what kids have change laying around?

I never Did.

Singles maybe for my snack- but not quarters or dimes or nickels.

Secondly- Now a Days I rarely can find a payphone.

Blame the Advent of Cellular Phones.

PS-

Dr. Phil has just as much credibility as Rosie O' Donnel Now a days.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 10-28-08 at 12:35 PM.
    10-28-08 12:31 PM
    Oooh...this is interesting. Back when I was a sophmore in HS (2000) I had one of those xpress faceplate nokias and got it taken away for using it during lunch period. This was back when phones were just starting to become more "mainstream" in schools. My HS didn't have any rules at the time (nor did any LAUSD school) regarding cellphones and needless to say I was pissed. I knew when it was innapropriate to use (i.e. in class, assemblies, etc) but getting it taken away while on lunch break, minding my own business?? Anyway my father threw a big fit with admin because they refused to return it until the end of the semester and ended up returning it. Shortly after this, my school printed up letters and had automated phone calls with new "mobile phone rules". They weren't allowed in the open, on school grounds, PERIOD. I'm sure now, 8 years later the rules have changed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 12:32 PM
    Yeah, those two daughters of mine probably don't NEED alcohol dragsters to race in the NHRA but they have them anyway.

My daughters did inherit our old phones and have shown a tremendous amount of responsibility with them therefore I CHOOSE to upgrade them...especially when I can do it for next to nothing.

I don't view a cellphone as a necessity for my children. And believe me, they earn them. However, I CHOOSE to provide my children with cellphones. See this is an easy one for me.....1. MY kids, I get to make the rules and decide what is best for them; 2. MY money and I get to decide how to spend it; 3. it does NOT take a village to raise a child.

Just my opinion....which is grounded in the fact that I actually AM a parent (and a grandparent although that has no bearing on the conversation at hand.)
    I have to agree with yu 100% and I am so tired of ppl who think they raise kids because they babysit think they know better then I do and then try to force their view on me.

My daughter is coming up on 12 in Jan and has a Cell phone since she was 8yo. It is a means of contact for her friends and family. Now I would think twice about a Berry for her as she has lost 2 phones (one was stolen out of her carry on luggage). She has earned the access to a cell phone and know the ground rules, As of right now she is carrying a 3.76 GPA in school and has a few chores she does around the house (mostly dishes) and as long as she carries the grades she will have the phone. I find that it is a nessasity for her because there are days where she will want to stay after schol for homework club, Also she splits her time between my house and her moms and does not have access to a land line when she is at her moms.

Once she she violated the rules and signed up two ring tone sites both of which i got to refund the monthly charge, she lost all phone access for 2 weeks (for a girl that is horrid).

I have never had to worry about her going over her alotted mins and other then the two lost phones all is good.

Again I go back to the point that it is a parents desision to get their kids a phone and is no business of mine, if that cell phone is a Bold and their kid gets mugged for it again that is their business not mine.

Fow now my kid is good with her Razr as she can text all day on it.
    10-28-08 12:51 PM
    I'm thinking of getting a BB to my 7-month-old nephew..seems that kid loves it...might as well have one.... cant seem to stop touching and putting in his mouth or trying to dial the keys....
    10-28-08 12:54 PM
    I think its wrong for people to say you shouldn't have a blackberry if you don't know how to use it. I do think it's a learning process. I had no idea how to use one at first, but with more and more use you do figure out how to take care of it. You can't say that when you first got a blackberry you just automatically knew everything about it.

It's like saying you shouldn't buy a bike because you don't know how to ride it.

10-28-08 12:59 PM
    How the heck do you come up with 400 bucks on a little over 2 months at age 15?? Where I'm from, the child labor laws prevented you from working over a certain number of hours per week until 16 (I think it was something ridiculously low, like 8 or 10 hours). Certainly not enough to earn 400 bucks in 2 months! When I was ibn high school I remember thinking that 20 dollars was a lot of money. Oh wait...it still is a lot of money...

I'm 15 and getting my first phone within a week. I'll be getting a BlackBerry 8330. My parents agreed on me getting a cell phone and I said that I would cough up the extra $30/month for a smartphone. She agreed on that and at the beginning of the year I owe them $400 cash. I pay for the phone itself and any upgrade I want will be paid for by myself.

There's probably 30+ BlackBerries in my school. Most are Pearls, a few Curves and one or two Bolds. People are on their 'Berries often, too. Everyone texts and emails each other during the day.

BlackBerries for kids aren't a bad thing if they know how to properly use them. If they don't, get them a mid-range phone. Also, they should be taught some responsibility with them.

My thoughts on this from a kid's point of view.

~Bcloutier~
    10-28-08 01:04 PM
    Hi

I don't have kids so I guess its easy for me to comment.

I just think that its a good thing for kids to have phones. However in my view any parent who gives a kid a phone on contract is asking for trouble. The child will run up a masive bill and not look after the handset well. Whats wrong with giving a kid a low priced handset on a pre-paid deal. That way the parent is in control of how much money the child spends on calls and if the handset gets broken well it will not cost much to replace. If the kid wants a better handset well buy it as a Christmas gift or for a birthday but still go for pre-pay.

However a 16 year old is not really a kid in the same way as a 9 year old. Lots of 16 year olds can be trusted not to run up masive bills and to look after a phone. Its all down to what the kids like.

Alex
    10-28-08 01:24 PM
    During my junior year of high school (around 4 years ago now), I was one of the few with a PDA. I used it as my planner, and the administration didn't mind so long as I had it in my pocket 99% of the time and it didn't randomly go off. Well, one day, the PDA suddenly stopped working, so I pulled out my paper planner and started writing everything I could recall off the top of my head.

So, one sign that my (eventual) kid is ready for a BB or smartphone is when he/she is on top of things with a paper and pencil planner. This is in addition to responsibility, which ties into so many things, as many of y'all have pointed out.
    10-28-08 01:31 PM
    Again I go back to the point that it is a parents desision to get their kids a phone and is no business of mine, if that cell phone is a Bold and their kid gets mugged for it again that is their business not mine.
    100% agree.
    10-28-08 01:45 PM
    Well, prada certainly is cynical about teachers. You should get to know a few more as a grown-up before you pass too much more judgment.

As for phones in school, I have the following to offer. Our school has placed a ban on using them during the day. The problems are these -

a) they have become a distraction in general;

b) with picture capability they put forth a security risk when it comes to fair assessment of students. It is unfair for a student in one class to be able to MMS a photo of the test to someone coming in later.

c) there are certain "deals" that are made easier by cell phones in the schools.

However, except for the need to follow the policies set forth by my administration, if someone in my classroom in a break between classes, or at lunch, or right before or after school needed to make a quick call, I would not personally have an issue with it. And to enter assignments into a PDA would be fine with me either way, so long as the students behaved honorably in general and had built that relationship of trust.

Or, they are welcome to use my office phone.

if it truly is an emergency, then that should not be a problem. If it isn't, why can't it wait until right after school.

The truth is, we want what we want when we want it. And to suggest that we should sublimate what we want for the larger good - or even the larger rule-following - cramps our style.

We should all get over that one. If we could, the world would be a better and less violent place.

As for giving kids a Berry - it's up to the parent and it depends on the kid.

Sue
    10-28-08 01:52 PM
    I'm thinking of getting a BB to my 7-month-old nephew..seems that kid loves it...might as well have one.... cant seem to stop touching and putting in his mouth or trying to dial the keys....
    One day kids will be born with cell phones attached to their heads, which is too bad, they should come with instructions instead..
    Well thats your Opinion.

Cell Phones Should be Put away- Not BANISHED Because your teaching skills can't hold a childs interest long enough for him to learn how to write his name.

Toys Dont Go for 400+ If they do- you must work at one of those "Montessori" schools and well then you don't count.

If you read my post, it was an emergency, they had no way of advising the parents early on.

I'm glad you would offer to call your student's parents, but more often than not, Teachers couldn't care less about their students.

Maybe your the exception, but now a days, teachers don't teach for the love of teaching.

They teach for a sweet pension, early retirement, benefits, and a sweet summer vacation.

Theft- the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another; larceny.

Again, Most often then not, when toys are confiscated, they're confiscated for the day. NOT the semester.
    Well, I never said the semester, I just said the rest of the day or until the parent wants to come get the phone. And I don't think that a lawyer would consider it "stealing" if there is a school district wide policy saying that if your caught using it while in school, since I would have to say that the school districts lawyers would have to review that policy. As for the emergency at school, it's not JUST the school's responsibility to call the parents to inform them, the STUDENT should have some sense to turn and say, "I have to call my mom / dad to pick me up. Can I use the office phone?" And I'm pretty sure that if the school was closed down, if the student found a teacher and explained to them the situation, the teacher would be willing to let the student use their personal cell phone if they have one. Just imagine, if the school was closed for an emergency and had the number of students that my HS and MS did (average of 600+ per grade), that would be an enormous number of parents that the school would have to call. And the assumption to say that teachers don't care about their students is not correct and I know you'll offend current / former teachers with that statement.
    I knew when it was innapropriate to use (i.e. in class, assemblies, etc) but getting it taken away while on lunch break, minding my own business?? Anyway my father threw a big fit with admin because they refused to return it until the end of the semester and ended up returning it. Shortly after this, my school printed up letters and had automated phone calls with new "mobile phone rules". They weren't allowed in the open, on school grounds, PERIOD. I'm sure now, 8 years later the rules have changed.

But see, you used some common sense as to when it was appropriate to use the phone while in school. Not every kid does that, some see it as a necessity rather than a priviledge to have a cell phone.

And as for the school rules changing, I would figure that if anything they got more strict. The school district around here has said if a student is caught in the building using it by a teacher or faculty, its confiscated.
    10-28-08 01:59 PM
    One day kids will be born with cell phones attached to their heads, which is too bad, they should come with instructions instead..
    Totally agree, about the Instructions part...
    10-28-08 02:03 PM

Not sure where you are from but the teachers where are live have it very differently...just ask my wife. She has no "sweet pension", "early retirement", or union (we dont believe in unions in our household.) Sounds to me like you have no clue in this particular area.

And you need to realize that if the school district bans cell phones then confiscation of said phone is NOT theft. What's next...they can't confiscate your $800 Ruger because it would violate your 2nd amendment rights (you might know what the 2nd amendment REALLY says if you were paying attention in poli-sci instead of texting your friends)? Maybe you would feel it is a violation of the 4th amendment?

Bottom line, you don't have to send your kids to public school but you DO have to follow the rules that are set forth.

Sounds to me like someone a. has no practical/firsthand or anecdotal experience of which they speak and b. has some growing up to do.

A few things for your edification...

http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2007/OP/OP168.pdf

Purdue Professor Cleared Over the Confiscation of a Student's Ringing Cell Phone - Associated Content

There is a ton of legal precedence out there for these actions.
    Last edited by DJManos; 10-28-08 at 02:11 PM.
    10-28-08 02:03 PM
    Okay heres a scenario:

When I was in 2nd Grade there was an emergency half day.

I Got out of School at 11:50 and I had to wait until 2:30 for when my mom came to pick me up.

If I had a cell phone- that wouldn't of happened.

It's stupid to only have a cell phone when your home.

Thats a waste, and defeats the purpose of a cell phone.

Come on now.
    I am not sure why that happen. EVERY school I have worked in has an EMERGENCY plan in motion that DOES not require kids, let alone second graders calling parents in an emergency!!! That was the fault of the adults in the situation---the school and your mother!!!!!
    10-28-08 02:08 PM
    Well thats your Opinion.

As a teacher who cares, I take GREAT offense to this statement!!!! I am NOT teaching for a sweet pension (which I don't have), early retirement (which I won't do), I pay for my own benefits, now the summer vacation is my time to mentally relax and prepare for the upcoming year. There are teachers who are in teaching for the wrong reasons!!! However, the vast majority of teachers CARE. It is people like you who have no respect for teachers and what we do on an every day basis that cause bratty disrespectful---GIVE ME GIVE ME---kids to disrupt schools and make a mockery of a public school system they know nothing about. Don't get me wrong--there is alot wrong with public school but there is also a lot right with it!!!!!

As a teacher, the rules say NO cell phones, and if I see one I am taking it!!!!!!! If it is soo important and expensive to you-----FOLLOW THE RULES and DONT RISK the PUNISHMENT!!!!!!
    10-28-08 02:14 PM
    As a teacher who cares, I take GREAT offense to this statement!!!! I am NOT teaching for a sweet pension (which I don't have), early retirement (which I won't do), I pay for my own benefits, now the summer vacation is my time to mentally relax and prepare for the upcoming year. There are teachers who are in teaching for the wrong reasons!!! However, the vast majority of teachers CARE. It is people like you who have no respect for teachers and what we do on an every day basis that cause bratty disrespectful---GIVE ME GIVE ME---kids to disrupt schools and make a mockery of a public school system they know nothing about. Don't get me wrong--there is alot wrong with public school but there is also a lot right with it!!!!!

As a teacher, the rules say NO cell phones, and if I see one I am taking it!!!!!!! If it is soo important and expensive to you-----FOLLOW THE RULES and DONT RISK the PUNISHMENT!!!!!!
    AMEN!! See my post above!!

My wife took a 6K a year pay cut and gave up coaching so she could just teach. Two years ago she changed her discipline from the secondary school sciences to pre-K and kindergarten because she always wanted to teach primary ed.

Bless you.
    10-28-08 02:18 PM
    My almost 14 year old daughter just got her first phone and yes it was a hand me down. Not buying her a new one until I see how responsible she is with it. I pay for the service but explained to her that if she runs up a bill beyond what the shared plan was, she was paying for it even if it means selling her 4gb I-Pod.

She also knows that since her mother and I are paying for it, I have the right to inspect the phone and the information stored anytime I see fit or feel an urge. Same goes with her laptop that I bought and the wireless internet that I provide. She screws up, it all goes until I decide otherwise if at all. My house, my money, my rules.

As for the teachers comment's. Kids have no business having a cell phone turned on during school hours in a normal situation period. I'm thinking the only exception might be a crazed gunman on campus but most classes now have a phone in them with the capability to dial an outside line.

I am siding with DJ and envied on this. The rules are there for a reason. If you can't follow them, then be prepared to face the consequences for your actions. It's just that simple. My daughter knows if her phone gets confiscated or any of her property and I have to go after it, she will NEVER see it again.
    Last edited by gmkahuna; 10-28-08 at 02:35 PM.
    10-28-08 02:23 PM
    My house, my money, my rules.
    There it is. Nothing more need be said.
    10-28-08 02:24 PM
    my money, my rules.
    I agree with this and will also add that being responsible enough to have a phone means knowing when and when not to use it (i.e. school). Kids today need to realize that regardless of where you are, there are rules that need to be followed and they cannot do whatever they please!
    10-28-08 02:29 PM
    AMEN!! See my post above!!

My wife took a 6K a year pay cut and gave up coaching so she could just teach. Two years ago she changed her discipline from the secondary school sciences to pre-K and kindergarten because she always wanted to teach primary ed.

Bless you.
    I have taught at all levels. Currently I teach struggling readers and non-readers in 1st and 2nd grade. There is absolutely nothing like seeing a child who has struggled or could not do something do it, the look on their face and their feeling of success and accomplishment PRICELESS --- this is regardless of the level in my case it just so happens to be elementary reading!!!!!
    10-28-08 02:32 PM
    When I was in high school and I had to use the pay phone to call my parents and let them know to come pick me up because whatever activity was over, I called collect. Even if they chose not to accept the collect call, by receiving the call in the first place they knew to come get me.

First Off- what kids have change laying around?

I never Did.

Singles maybe for my snack- but not quarters or dimes or nickels.

Secondly- Now a Days I rarely can find a payphone.

Blame the Advent of Cellular Phones.

PS-

Dr. Phil has just as much credibility as Rosie O' Donnel Now a days.
    10-28-08 02:42 PM
    Actually...last semester I went back to visit my high school in the afternoon (after the school day had let out). I had my cell phone clipped to my belt. The assistant principal tried to take it away from me because cell phone were not allowed in the open. I explained to him that I had graduated 3 years ago and was just visiting to give a kid a music lesson (the assistant principal is new since I was there). So, obviously things haven't changed.

Oooh...this is interesting. Back when I was a sophmore in HS (2000) I had one of those xpress faceplate nokias and got it taken away for using it during lunch period. This was back when phones were just starting to become more "mainstream" in schools. My HS didn't have any rules at the time (nor did any LAUSD school) regarding cellphones and needless to say I was pissed. I knew when it was innapropriate to use (i.e. in class, assemblies, etc) but getting it taken away while on lunch break, minding my own business?? Anyway my father threw a big fit with admin because they refused to return it until the end of the semester and ended up returning it. Shortly after this, my school printed up letters and had automated phone calls with new "mobile phone rules". They weren't allowed in the open, on school grounds, PERIOD. I'm sure now, 8 years later the rules have changed.

10-28-08 02:47 PM
331 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD