Im looking at it from a different standpoint. While I myself use mine constantly for real estate, I also like it due to the technical side.

It just bothers me when adults and even kids who get smartphones can't figure out how to use them. A friend of mine bought herself a curve and her daughter(16) a pearl. I will give it within 3 onths and the phone will either be damaged or running beyond slow. I showed her the most simplistic of steps to take care of them but neither of them have heeded my warning so far. How hard is it to pull out the ddamn battery every few days or delete your texts?

It's not only those 2 complaints that bother me but the fact that if your not on the technical side to learn how to use a blackberry or any smartphone DON'T GET ONE!!!

Maybe its just because I was born and raised as a geek that I can't stand people who get high end electronical devices yet can't figure out where the power button is. (My sister and her ps3) >_> God for bid you read the instruction manual.

I do get that sense of praise when I get asked questions on how to fix or operate the Curve/pearl and I will laugh to death when both of theirs stop working in a few months while im having fun with even the simplest of things. (viigo and jivvetalk).
    *end rant*
    I totally agree with you. I see it everyday in my profession. Parents coming in and purchasing a BB Pearl for their kids just b/c its pink and they have to have it b/c they need to be cool. I hate it because I'm the person who has to deal with the parents and kids when they bring the phone back b/c its running slow or the browser doesn't work and they think its defective. The real problem is they don't need and don't know how to use the BB. No kid should ever have or need a BB.

I don't care how responsible they are they shouldn't have one unless they are 18 and can pass the credit check to sign the agreement themselves.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-08 10:52 PM
    I'm 15 and getting my first phone within a week. I'll be getting a BlackBerry 8330. My parents agreed on me getting a cell phone and I said that I would cough up the extra $30/month for a smartphone. She agreed on that and at the beginning of the year I owe them $400 cash. I pay for the phone itself and any upgrade I want will be paid for by myself.

There's probably 30+ BlackBerries in my school. Most are Pearls, a few Curves and one or two Bolds. People are on their 'Berries often, too. Everyone texts and emails each other during the day.

BlackBerries for kids aren't a bad thing if they know how to properly use them. If they don't, get them a mid-range phone. Also, they should be taught some responsibility with them.

My thoughts on this from a kid's point of view.

~Bcloutier~
    10-27-08 11:09 PM
    There's probably 30+ BlackBerries in my school. Most are Pearls, a few Curves and one or two Bolds. People are on their 'Berries often, too. [bold]everyone texts and emails each other during the day.[/bold]
    Is another problem all in itself. All phones should be taken away from any student caught texting during school/class and not given back until the end of the semester.

10-27-08 11:24 PM
    Im 19 and I don’t see a problem with kids having a Bberrys as long as they are responsible enough to have them……with that said I might go contradict what I just said when I get my bold. I have a 12 year old brother who is going to be getting his first phone around the same time, I thought it would be cool to give him my blackberry curve so then he will have no need for an iPod, and I guess so he can have a cool phone, and not a peace of crap one like other kids his age. The only thing I am worried about is, I don’t know if he deserves one? He does well in school, but he really doesn’t know what it means to work for something. so what im thinking of doing is letting him carry around a fake phone for a while and see how he takes care of it, then when my mom gets him a phone line, let him use one of the free phones they give away as a test to see how he handles it, and if all is well I will give him my curve when I see he is ready…….what do u guys think?
    10-27-08 11:51 PM
    I think SmartPhones are becoming a fad with the recent drop of the iPhone...kids are drawn to more stylish phones that are messaging friendly and the BlackBerry happens to fit that mold.

When I see younger people with a BlackBerry I usually get somewhat disgusted just because there is no way they have a NEED for one. It might serve them well and give them a lot of bells and whitsles but it is more than likely totally unnecessary.

I am a college student and sometimes I wonder if I even need the phone that I have. However, I did originally get the phone because of its ability to pull email from Microsoft Exchange which is what my work uses. I work from school so it has def. served me well when I'm away from the office.

All in all, I can see why kids want them but if I were in a parents' shoes, $30 extra a month so my kid can get about 1/2 of what I pay for seems ridiculous.

Just had a second thought...I'm going to be really floored when you start to see a bunch of teenage girls using a Storm!
    10-28-08 12:13 AM
    i dont think the drop of the iphone is making it a fad...i think its just that bb is being advertising now...and its almost not even cool to have one anymore haha it will always be cool to have a bb. but really everyone is getting one now a days except for the iphone lovers cuz its "such a kick @ss phone....:-\ childs play i tell ya
    10-28-08 12:24 AM
    I don't want to point fingers at all but I will say in general.. Saying something like "I don't know a kid who would actually use any of the features other then text pictures etc" Thats a pretty rediculous statement.....
    For starters I have a 4 year old cousin who hops on a computer and can pretty much do everything he wants to do (not saying that he isn't watched on what hes doing but just saying from a technical standpoint he knows what hes doing)

So to clarify more deeply what im saying is that alot of these so called kids probably learn these devices in and out better then most the users I hand these things out to at work (I work in IT)...

so just because they don't use the other features the same way you do doesn't mean they dont use them

having calendars task lists and all that on a phone they may not schedule meetings in the calendar but that don't mean they dont use the function.... and to top that off what states that something like a task list can be something helpful for a parent.... have your kid put his chores in there to keep track wouldnt that teach organization?

Will they use the fun factors of a phone more then the business absolutely no doubt but I guarentee they will use the other features from time to time... kids are not idiots =)

(keep in mind this really wasn't pointed at anyone and it isn't meant to be a direct attack/flame on anyone)

I just felt like putting that out there =)
    10-28-08 04:33 AM
    Is another problem all in itself. All phones should be taken away from any student caught texting during school/class and not given back until the end of the semester.

Well, one of the school districts in my area already has done that. It is a school district policy that if a student is caught using their phone during class or school hours, it is taken away and given to the principal, then the parents are called to come get the phone and they have to pay $15 for the first offense, up to $200, to get the phone back. The money is then used for school events, projects, improvements, etc. If the student still goes past the $200 threshold, they get suspended or expelled.

Im 19 and I don�t see a problem with kids having a Bberrys as long as they are responsible enough to have them��with that said I might go contradict what I just said when I get my bold. I have a 12 year old brother who is going to be getting his first phone around the same time, I thought it would be cool to give him my blackberry curve so then he will have no need for an iPod, and I guess so he can have a cool phone, and not a peace of crap one like other kids his age. The only thing I am worried about is, I don�t know if he deserves one? He does well in school, but he really doesn�t know what it means to work for something. so what im thinking of doing is letting him carry around a fake phone for a while and see how he takes care of it, then when my mom gets him a phone line, let him use one of the free phones they give away as a test to see how he handles it, and if all is well I will give him my curve when I see he is ready��.what do u guys think?
    What I wonder is how will you determine how a child is "responsible"? I know plenty of people who have kids who say their kids are responsible. Yet when someone who is NOT their parents talk to them, even when I ask questions, I find out all the stuff they do behind their parents back, the trouble they get into, and how irresponsible they really are.

i dont think the drop of the iphone is making it a fad...i think its just that bb is being advertising now...and its almost not even cool to have one anymore haha it will always be cool to have a bb. but really everyone is getting one now a days except for the iphone lovers cuz its "such a kick @ss phone....:-\ childs play i tell ya
    That's just because blackberries are available in all the perty colors (red, pink, white, blue, green, etc, etc). It's a fashion statement that your phone matches what you wear!

I don't want to point fingers at all but I will say in general.. Saying something like "I don't know a kid who would actually use any of the features other then text pictures etc" Thats a pretty rediculous statement.....
    For starters I have a 4 year old cousin who hops on a computer and can pretty much do everything he wants to do (not saying that he isn't watched on what hes doing but just saying from a technical standpoint he knows what hes doing)

So to clarify more deeply what im saying is that alot of these so called kids probably learn these devices in and out better then most the users I hand these things out to at work (I work in IT)...

so just because they don't use the other features the same way you do doesn't mean they dont use them

having calendars task lists and all that on a phone they may not schedule meetings in the calendar but that don't mean they dont use the function.... and to top that off what states that something like a task list can be something helpful for a parent.... have your kid put his chores in there to keep track wouldnt that teach organization?

Will they use the fun factors of a phone more then the business absolutely no doubt but I guarentee they will use the other features from time to time... kids are not idiots =)
    I know a bunch of kids who are 'proficient' with a computer to where they can navigate around and do things. Now would I say that one of them, who is 9, can be "techincally proficient", well that depends on your definition of the phrase. No, they can't take the machine apart if something goes wrong, know what went wrong, and fix it, BUT they can navigate around the GUI and get into Word, Excel, IE, FireFox, etc and do the basics.

I'm in IT for work also and I know what you're talking about with regards to Blackberries and people. The one thing that I've come to realize is that those individuals who need 'more help' with their blackberry are those who are like my parents ages (40+) whereas the younger individuals, like myself (28) can figure them out on their own. I believe that's mainly because we came up through the techno-age.
    10-28-08 08:52 AM
    I'm 20 and have a BB... but I use it as a tool more than as a toy if that makes sense

10-28-08 09:56 AM
    I'm 20 and have a BB... but I use it as a tool more than as a toy if that makes sense

But you're not a kid. I think that by "kids", the OP means like 17 and below.
    10-28-08 10:00 AM
    Well I'm 18, but got my first phone when I started driving. Its just me and my grandmother, so we got a family line. I bought the phones and she paid for the bill since I took up the car payment. She wanted me to have one so that if something happened on the road I'd have someway to call. Especially at night.

I know wy BF's mom got all of his siblings cell phones. Ages 5, 10, 15, 16. I could undertand the teenagers, but the 5 & 10yro. You gotta be kidding me. Well, she eventually cut the 5yro phone off and restricted texting, then decided to get unlimited texts. She has the money to foot everyone in the house bill. Her, her husband, and her 5 kids.

So it really is a case by case basis.
    10-28-08 11:23 AM
    Well I'm 18, but got my first phone when I started driving. Its just me and my grandmother, so we got a family line. I bought the phones and she paid for the bill since I took up the car payment. She wanted me to have one so that if something happened on the road I'd have someway to call. Especially at night.

I know wy BF's mom got all of his siblings cell phones. Ages 5, 10, 15, 16. I could undertand the teenagers, but the 5 & 10yro. You gotta be kidding me. Well, she eventually cut the 5yro phone off and restricted texting, then decided to get unlimited texts. She has the money to foot everyone in the house bill. Her, her husband, and her 5 kids.

So it really is a case by case basis.
    Ok 5 and 10 yr olds with cell phones is DUMB!

I have 4 kids ages 16, 13, 11, and 7. My 16 yr did not need a phone but we got one for her anyway and just had to reposse it for good. My 13 yr old has a cell phone but his mom covers that since he lives with her. (Do not agree with her) My youngest 2 kids don't need phones cause it is very rare that they are not with me and my wife anyway. When my 11 yr old is out playing away from the house he is required to come back to and check in every 45 min. My 7 yr old plays in the yard as she is not old enough to just play anywhere without supervision.

My 7 yr old has my 16 yrs old daughter's old Razr...unactivated and not charged that she uses while playing school or dress-up.
    10-28-08 11:40 AM
    I have to disagree on the 10 year old. Mine is very responsible when it comes to her phone. She understands it is a privilege and that she can lose it at any time.

I dunno....if I can't trust her with a cell phone how could I trust her to pull an 8.90 sec 1/8 mile pass @ 80 mph?

Obviously every kid is different.....
    10-28-08 11:50 AM
    I know a bunch of kids who are 'proficient' with a computer to where they can navigate around and do things. Now would I say that one of them, who is 9, can be "techincally proficient", well that depends on your definition of the phrase. No, they can't take the machine apart if something goes wrong, know what went wrong, and fix it, BUT they can navigate around the GUI and get into Word, Excel, IE, FireFox, etc and do the basics.
    Just because I can't take something apart does not mean I don't know my way around a computer. In fact I have several people who call me to "fix" their computer.

I'm in IT for work also and I know what you're talking about with regards to Blackberries and people. The one thing that I've come to realize is that those individuals who need 'more help' with their blackberry are those who are like my parents ages (40+) whereas the younger individuals, like myself (28) can figure them out on their own. I believe that's mainly because we came up through the techno-age.
    Being in your 40+ category I take offense to this. I have helped more people 39v than I can count on there lap top, desk top, or any type of phone. Age has absolutely nothing to do with things. Some people are more gadget people than others. The last company that had an IT department had more 40+ in the IT dept than younger. In fact the younger IT kid didn't last long because there several of us 40+ (with no IT degree) that knew more than the kid with a degree.

10-28-08 11:51 AM
    Okay-

If I was still in School, and a teacher took my phone away and I wasn't going to get it back until the end of the semester/school year-

You Better Believe I would throw the Biggest Fit That School Has Ever Seen.

I would Consider that Theft, and I'm Sure a Lawyer Would Feel the Same.

They Could Have my Phone.

But Only If they Paid the Amount I paid in full.

I Could See Confiscating it for the Day- But for the Semester???

Don't Think So.

I agree that Phone's Shouldn't be used in class.

But in a world were Cell Phones Cost 400+ You Better Believe they're Not Keeping it until the end of the Semester.

If I was a parent I would feel the same way.
    10-28-08 11:53 AM
    Then don't have it at school.

10-28-08 11:55 AM

Preach on Sister!!
    10-28-08 11:56 AM
    In a world that's getting increasingly more dangerous, more and more children are getting cell phones.

I have no issue with this.

There are moments when You Aren't around your kids, and you need to get in contact with them.

It's a fact of life.

I don't care if you are a good parent, or not.

You won't be around them 24/7.

Its at those times that when something bad happens, you'll wish they had a cell phone.
    10-28-08 11:57 AM
    Being in your 40+ category I take offense to this. I have helped more people 39v than I can count on there lap top, desk top, or any type of phone. Age has absolutely nothing to do with things. Some people are more gadget people than others. The last company that had an IT department had more 40+ in the IT dept than younger. In fact the younger IT kid didn't last long because there several of us 40+ (with no IT degree) that knew more than the kid with a degree.

You missed the point. You work in IT so you are like 'forced' to deal with new technology and gadgets. Some of the people who did not come up in the techno-age were not "forced" to keep up with the times so they just know the basics. Some refuse to learn new things regarding technology too. My mom (54) should get a new cell phone BUT she refuses to because she doesn't want anything with a camera, just wants it like the old cell phones; CALLS ONLY! She doesn't know how, nor does she want to learn about texting, bluetooth, etc, etc. My grandfather is the same way. I've had to walk my mom via phone on how to do things on her computer, yet she is on a computer as a CPA all day. The only things she knows about them concern the programs she uses daily, that's it. I have the same situation with users that I have to help being in IT for over 10 years now. Many people who aren't into technology refuse to and don't want learn how to use the technology. Its just like how many companies want to 'go paperless', which will happen when toilets are paperless! I have users that print out EVERY single email they get, an attachment (if any), staple it together, and then file it because they think it'll "go away" if they don't have a copy on paper.
    10-28-08 11:58 AM
    Okay-

If I was still in School, and a teacher took my phone away and I wasn't going to get it back until the end of the semester/school year-

Don't Think So.

But in a world were Cell Phones Cost 400+ You Better Believe they're Not Keeping it until the end of the Semester.

I second that motion!

Granted my child would be in trouble for using it in class, but no way on God's green earth or Satan's hot **** is that phone being taken for a semester or whatever.

Speaking of school...I have to call the high school and complain about charging admission to a choir concert!
    10-28-08 12:00 PM

Okay heres a scenario:

When I was in 2nd Grade there was an emergency half day.

I Got out of School at 11:50 and I had to wait until 2:30 for when my mom came to pick me up.

If I had a cell phone- that wouldn't of happened.

It's stupid to only have a cell phone when your home.

Thats a waste, and defeats the purpose of a cell phone.

Come on now.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 10-28-08 at 12:08 PM.
    10-28-08 12:01 PM
    Regarding the original OP...

I don't see the need for younder teens needing smartphones. If they have one, great but most don't know half of the features these work horses do. I manage a local theatre and ALWAYS see young kids with Curves. I ask once in a while how they like their "smartphone curve" and I usually always get a dumbfounded look and a reponse that's usually like "I don't know...I just use it to text and chat" or "I thought it was soooo cute and had to get it"

Suprisingly I also hear pretty often "my dad picked it out for me and I don't like it"

10-28-08 12:08 PM
    First off I don't work in IT.

Being a former teacher the phones should not be in a classroom period.

It is not theft. Schools take toys away from children all the time. This is just another reason teachers can't teach. To busy babysitting.

A cellphone has NO place in the classroom period. If your child is texting in school/class to begin with they are not responsible enough to have one anyway.

There are tons of 2nd graders who don't have cell phones. If there is an emergency that is what school phones are for. If I saw a kid not being picked up I would be offering to call the parent for the kid. Schools do everything in there power to notify parents of early dismissals. Not an excuse for allowing cellphones in class.

10-28-08 12:19 PM
    Okay-

Don't Think So.

You missed the point of that. If you're at school, then you have OTHER things you should be doing rather than using a cell phone since it is quite OBVIOUS you're not paying attention to what is going on in class.

I agree with you on that. If the child sees its too much of a distraction, or the parents see the grades slipping, take it away or leave it at the house. Then again, what point is it to have it then since if they miss the bus or something else, how will they get in contact with their parents? I think it's ok for them to be at school, just turn them off. If not and you're caught with it, then the teacher / faculty should give it to the principal, who calls the parents, then say you'll have to pay $$ to get it back, when the child hits a certain number of times for confiscation, the child should just be suspended for like 3 days. It stinks since it's becoming like a school has to raise a child since most parents work and are not home as much as they should be, but we've made it that way. Which is why I also think most kids now say "I want" rather than "I would like", as most shrinks will say parents feel the need to 'buy the childs love' since they don't spend the time with them that parents back in the day used to when it was a 1-person working household (courtesy of Dr. Phil)
    10-28-08 12:21 PM
    Okay heres a scenario:

When I was in 2nd Grade there was an emergency half day.

I Got out of School at 11:50 and I had to wait until 2:30 for when my mom came to pick me up.

If I had a cell phone- that wouldn't of happened.

It's stupid to only have a cell phone when your home.

Thats a waste, and defeats the purpose of a cell phone.

Come on now.
    And that's why they make school phones that are available for use by students for emergency purposes. They also have pay phones available!

First off I don't work in IT.

Being a former teacher the phones should not be in a classroom period.

It is not theft. Schools take toys away from children all the time. This is just another reason teachers can't teach. To busy babysitting.

A cellphone has NO place in the classroom period. If your child is texting in school/class to begin with they are not responsible enough to have one anyway.

There are tons of 2nd graders who don't have cell phones. If there is an emergency that is what school phones are for. If I saw a kid not being picked up I would be offering to call the parent for the kid. Schools do everything in there power to notify parents of early dismissals. Not an excuse for allowing cellphones in class.

Sorry, may have gotten you confused with a different poster. But I do agree.
    10-28-08 12:24 PM
331 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD