I know blackberry's were originaly made for just business, but it seems everywhere I look at my school, someone has a blackberry.(Im 16) I feel it is sooooo much more than a business phone and I think it's great having so many kids with Blackberry's. How do you guys feel about this??? Just wondering. Thanks!
    10-27-08 03:18 PM
    Honestly, I think I am about to replace my two daughters' razrs with Pearls. I need to replace one of the phones anyway and the other one spends all of her time texting with her aunt. I can get pearls for $0 up front with $100 rebate and the smartchoice plan isnt that much more than I am paying for them now.
    10-27-08 03:26 PM
    I think that it's unnecessary. Yes, I can see the usefulness of them- but I don't agree with parents paying for cellphones for their kids. If they want a luxury like a cellphone (over and above an emergency pay as you go phone) that the kids should have to pay for it (either by doing chores, getting a job, etc.). I see how some parents see them as something the kids NEED- but honestly they don't. If YOU need to get in touch with them then get them a pay as you go phone so you can text them/call them. But I find kids without that kind of "starter phone" go over their limits all the time, etc. It's a life skill you need to learn to manage your expenses- start them early!

I'm a Nanny and I have the power to manage the kids I look after's cellphone training/teach them money management. The oldest (16) just bought his first plan cell with his own saved up money he's earned doing chores around the house (paid over minimum wage) and pays the bill with the same money. He also has a prepaid Mastercard that his allowance is deposited to...he knows there's consequences for overspending and I think it's a good way to start him.

His sister is 13. She wants a cellphone but can't afford it- so she has her pay as you go phone for emergencies. If she uses the whole balance- well, you're screwed. We deposit 10$ a month for her and if she uses it only for what it was bought for that should be more than enough. If she wants to use it for other stuff then she has to pay for the extra minutes- and she knows that if we try and contact her for something and we can't cause her minutes are gone she's grounded for a week. So she has to learn to keep it topped up/manage her usage. She gets her allowance (paid minimum wage for household chores) in cash right now but when she turns 14 we're going to have a talk about getting her a prepaid card too.

9 year old will get a Pay as you go phone when she turns 10, or inherit her sisters if she gets the $$ to upgrade.

I'm training these kids to be responsible and know the difference between want vs. need and their parents agree.

Anyways that's my view...as you can tell I feel strongly about this.
    Last edited by Navan; 10-27-08 at 03:39 PM.
    10-27-08 03:35 PM
    I know blackberry's were originaly made for just business, but it seems everywhere I look at my school, someone has a blackberry.(Im 16) I feel it is sooooo much more than a business phone and I think it's great having so many kids with Blackberry's. How do you guys feel about this??? Just wondering. Thanks!
    If kids/parents want to pay for them, then I can care less. But I know if I had a kid, I wouldn't buy them one, I would just give them my old one. I would never drop money on a smartphone for a kid, when they lose it, that's your money down the drain.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-27-08 at 03:40 PM.
    10-27-08 03:37 PM
    Yeah, those two daughters of mine probably don't NEED alcohol dragsters to race in the NHRA but they have them anyway.

My daughters did inherit our old phones and have shown a tremendous amount of responsibility with them therefore I CHOOSE to upgrade them...especially when I can do it for next to nothing.

I don't view a cellphone as a necessity for my children. And believe me, they earn them. However, I CHOOSE to provide my children with cellphones. See this is an easy one for me.....1. MY kids, I get to make the rules and decide what is best for them; 2. MY money and I get to decide how to spend it; 3. it does NOT take a village to raise a child.

Just my opinion....which is grounded in the fact that I actually AM a parent (and a grandparent although that has no bearing on the conversation at hand.)
    10-27-08 03:44 PM
    I just confiscated the phone my 16 yr old who is a Jr in high school phone for actions determental to herself, family and friends.

She had a BB Pearl/Curve and then wanted to have a enV2 instead (she didn't want to manage her txting allowances).

She can get a phone again when she is 18 and can pay for it herself!

She has ruined it for her younger siblings who will have to demonstrate greater responsibility when they are teenageers if they are hoping to get a cell phone while in high school.
    10-27-08 03:51 PM
    Yeah, those two daughters of mine probably don't NEED alcohol dragsters to race in the NHRA but they have them anyway.

My daughters did inherit our old phones and have shown a tremendous amount of responsibility with them therefore I CHOOSE to upgrade them...especially when I can do it for next to nothing.

I don't view a cellphone as a necessity for my children. And believe me, they earn them. However, I CHOOSE to provide my children with cellphones. See this is an easy one for me.....1. MY kids, I get to make the rules and decide what is best for them; 2. MY money and I get to decide how to spend it; 3. it does NOT take a village to raise a child.

Just my opinion....which is grounded in the fact that I actually AM a parent (and a grandparent although that has no bearing on the conversation at hand.)
    I totally agree with you!!!! YOU pay the cost to be the boss. I don't see a problem with teens having phones, although when I was in school the best we could afford were pagers...lol, however, times are definitely changing!! If we as parents choose to buy outright, hand down, or purchase on sale a PDA/Smartphone/Pay-As-You-Go phone then it's our right. But we should teach them the importance of limits and phone safety (no texting & driving/texting & walking near the roads either).

Just my $0.02
    10-27-08 03:57 PM
    Ok, this is a very heated discussion with good and bad points.

I have an 8 year old daughter who we got a regular cell phone for. We pay the bill, not her, but took the phone away when she ran up a $60 bill on the VZW Get-it-Now applications and games. She got it back 4 months later after doing chores and things of that nature around the house to let us 'recoup' the money.

Now would I get her or even any child of mine in High School, a Blackberry? Well, I'm on the fence on that one. Do I feel that they'll use the phone to the point that it is supposed to be used? NO. I don't know of any child who will use any of the full features of a blackberry, aside from the phone, texting, and pictures. The one benefit of the child having a BB would really only be the BBM, if both parents had a BB also.

However, I think its really an issue with like "Keeping up with the Jones" and the marketing of the Cellular companies to draw in kids to get these phones, especially due to the colors.

The other day, I was in a VZW store trying to get my 8330 and a family was there. The parents were getting their kids each a phone (2 phones total), however, a regular flip-phone or LG Dare was not good enough for them. They demanded that their parents buy them a BB Pearl since that's what all the kids at school have, so the parents did it. Then when they were asking about SD cards, the parents were going to get them a 1 gig card, they threw a fit. The parents ended up buying them 4gig cards. The reason, "Mom, Dad, do you realize how many pictures we take in a day? We'll fill up 1 gig before lunch!"

That's just ludicrous. Its my personal opinion that things are getting way way too out of hand with the youth of today and rather than being rewarded for doing well in school and in other areas, thy EXPECT to have things.

Where I live, there was a kid who just turned 16 and got his license, he pulled up while I was walking my dog, in a brand new Nissan 350Z convertible, rims, system, kit, custom paint, everything. I said, "Nice car. Who's is it? Dad's? Older Brother?" His reply, "It's mine. My mom and dad bought it for me and had all the work done for me." My mouth dropped to the floor.

Needless to say, I went home where the wife and I started to discuss some things. Our daughter was there and she heard we were talking about her. We were planning on buying a computer for her room, and then an XBOX360, Wii, and PS3 to put one on the living room TV and then two on the office TV. She said, "I will ONLY have a laptop for a computer. AND I want an XBOX360, Wii, and PS3 in MY room!" I just looked at her mother, left the conversation at that, when she walked away, her mother and I looked at each other and were like, "Well, NOW, she ain't getting crizzap!"

It's like the wife told me one day, she picked up our daughter from school and she told my wife that she wants a Louis Vatton (SP) pocketbook! The wife said, "Call your dad and ask him. What he says goes." She did, and received a response of, "What are you flucking nutz? You're out of your mind. You go get a job and buy it yourself!"

Like I said, I think its been lost over the ages where children were taught a good work ethic and how to earn money to buy things they want, so that they have a greater respect for those things and don't break them, as much.

But that's just my two cents on it.
    10-27-08 04:02 PM
    I totally agree with you!!!! YOU pay the cost to be the boss. I don't see a problem with teens having phones, although when I was in school the best we could afford were pagers...lol, however, times are definitely changing!! If we as parents choose to buy outright, hand down, or purchase on sale a PDA/Smartphone/Pay-As-You-Go phone then it's our right. But we should teach them the importance of limits and phone safety (no texting & driving/texting & walking near the roads either).

Just my $0.02
    I do agree with everything said for the most part save one thing...where as it doesn't have to take a village to raise a child, it helps when it happens.

I am the type of parent that wants to be notified of my children's wrong doings. If someone sees my child doing the wrong thing let me know! As much as I wish I could keep watch on mine all the time....I can't. But if that "Village" sees it then dime them out please!
    10-27-08 04:05 PM
    I just confiscated the phone my 16 yr old who is a Jr in high school phone for actions determental to herself, family and friends.

She had a BB Pearl/Curve and then wanted to have a enV2 instead (she didn't want to manage her txting allowances).

She can get a phone again when she is 18 and can pay for it herself!

She has ruined it for her younger siblings who will have to demonstrate greater responsibility when they are teenageers if they are hoping to get a cell phone while in high school.
    I don't follow the part about wanting an enV2 to not have to manage her texting? My daughter did the Get-It-Now apps from VZW (as the above post states) and ran up a $60.00 bill! We confiscated the phone, she had to work to pay me the money back that I had to shell out for the bill, and now has a phone that we can restrict ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING calls and text messages to ONLY those who her mother and I put into her phone. **Oops, I didn't ever tell her mom the passcode for unlocking the phone**.

Our daughter got mad cause she wanted me to leave it unlocked so she can text and call all her friends. I said when she shows me more responsibility then I will, until that point in time, her ONLY option is to get a job to pay the bill herself (she's 8)!
    10-27-08 04:07 PM

I agree with everything you said-----completely personal preference EXCEPT it DOES take a village to raise a child ~~
    10-27-08 04:12 PM
    I think that its perfectly acceptable if the child is willing pay for it or the parents are willing to pay for it. I am 16 and I am getting the Bold when it comes out. I'll buy the phone, and my parents pay for the service. It's really a case by case basis.
    Last edited by TVMAN92; 10-27-08 at 09:11 PM.
    10-27-08 04:17 PM
    This topic got beat to death in this thread not too long ago. http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/what...ht=at+what+age And got so heated it was closed.
    10-27-08 04:25 PM
    I think that its perfectly acceptable if you are willing the child is willing pay for it or the parents want to pay for it. I am 16 and I am getting the Bold when it comes out. I'll buy the phone, and my parents pay for the service. It's really a case by case basis.
    Like I've said, I do agree that it's honestly the parents choice on what they want to do as it is their responsibility to raise their childrens and not other peoples. If they want to get their child a BB and pay for everything, by all means, go ahead. It's just not something that I would do with my kids... Here's where that old saying, "To each his own" comes into play.

TVMAN, in your case, if I was one of your parents, I'd say, "Mom and I will buy the phone, even pay full retail for it. It'll be YOUR responsibility to pay the monthly fees."
    10-27-08 04:27 PM
    I don't follow the part about wanting an enV2 to not have to manage her texting? My daughter did the Get-It-Now apps from VZW (as the above post states) and ran up a $60.00 bill! We confiscated the phone, she had to work to pay me the money back that I had to shell out for the bill, and now has a phone that we can restrict ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING calls and text messages to ONLY those who her mother and I put into her phone. **Oops, I didn't ever tell her mom the passcode for unlocking the phone**.

Our daughter got mad cause she wanted me to leave it unlocked so she can text and call all her friends. I said when she shows me more responsibility then I will, until that point in time, her ONLY option is to get a job to pay the bill herself (she's 8)!
    Early last year we got my daughter a Pearl. 4-5 months later she wanted a curve and we got that for her. We only provided a 250 text message package for her and explained to her that she needed to be mindful of that. She only had one other friend who had a BB (but on a different carrier). My daughter did not want to worry about if she was close to her texting limit so she wanted a phone geared more for texting. She was already responsible for the $30 data plan and $5 texting plan. She didn't want to spend more money to increase her texting allowance so she got the enV2 so she could spend about the same just for texting.

But like I said she broke some rules and we took away her priviledge to even have a phone while she is living in our house.

We will provide a phone as a takw this with you when you are out but it will be the Firefly phone. I know I am a cruel parent!! She is going from a Mazarati to a Yugo...non turbo!!

As parents, that's how we roll!!!
    10-27-08 04:33 PM
    Early last year we got my daughter a Pearl. 4-5 months later she wanted a curve and we got that for her. We only provided a 250 text message package for her and explained to her that she needed to be mindful of that. She only had one other friend who had a BB (but on a different carrier). My daughter did not want to worry about if she was close to her texting limit so she wanted a phone geared more for texting. She was already responsible for the $30 data plan and $5 texting plan. She didn't want to spend more money to increase her texting allowance so she got the enV2 so she could spend about the same just for texting.

But like I said she broke some rules and we took away her priviledge to even have a phone while she is living in our house.

We will provide a phone as a takw this with you when you are out but it will be the Firefly phone. I know I am a cruel parent!! She is going from a Mazarati to a Yugo...non turbo!!

As parents, that's how we roll!!!
    Oh, I'm the same way. My wife yells at me all the time but has ME make all the decisions, my daughter calls me "The strictest, meanest parent ever!". I tell her, "You'll thank me when you're older." If you read the posts that I put above, you'll get a jist of it.

I told my daughter she has 3 options when she graduates High School:

1. Go to college part-time, work, and live at my house where she'll pay 1/2 average price of renting a 1 bedroom apartment, to include all utilities, cable, Internet.

2. Go to college full time, live at the dorms, and find her own way of getting money because she will not be living at my house unless she pays rent, even going to school full time.

3. Move out, get her own place, fend for herself ENTIRELY.

Although, the best option that I'd rather her do is go into the Military but that's neither here nor there, I still have 10 years to go.
    10-27-08 04:41 PM
    We have discussed purchasing a simple phone for our twins next school year when they enter middle school. They already know how we feel about children having phones = they dont need them. But, I don't want to drive 15 minutes just to find out they want to go to a friends house. Or, if I am running late, I would like the ability to let them know. As far as texting, I don't see the need for them to be texting friends. When they are old enough to pay for their monthy charges, we will discuss texting and perhaps allowing them to call others. For the most part, my children (at this age) are always with me.
    10-27-08 04:50 PM
    We have discussed purchasing a simple phone for our twins next school year when they enter middle school. They already know how we feel about children having phones = they dont need them. But, I don't want to drive 15 minutes just to find out they want to go to a friends house. Or, if I am running late, I would like the ability to let them know. As far as texting, I don't see the need for them to be texting friends. When they are old enough to pay for their monthy charges, we will discuss texting and perhaps allowing them to call others. For the most part, my children (at this age) are always with me.
    You have it the same way that I said with my 8year old who only got a phone because someone did something to her they should not have done. So it's for emergencies, like you said they want to go to a friends house, I have to stay after school for tutoring, etc. The phone from VZW we got her allows us to lock it completely down to only people that I put in her contacts can call out and in, same with texting so that's kinda awesome. She hates it but when she works and makes money to pay the monthly bill, the restriction will come off!
    10-27-08 04:53 PM
    I do agree with everything said for the most part save one thing...where as it doesn't have to take a village to raise a child, it helps when it happens.

I am the type of parent that wants to be notified of my children's wrong doings. If someone sees my child doing the wrong thing let me know! As much as I wish I could keep watch on mine all the time....I can't. But if that "Village" sees it then dime them out please!
    Oh absolutely!!!! In my parents 'day', the neighbor could discipline you. When I was in school, it wasn't that way, and now that I have my own son, I hate to let him out of my site because of all the crazy's.

Parent's with money, breed kid's wih money....the difference is kids feel entitled to receive the new car and hottest phones!! I'm all about awarding my son for good grades, behavior, and chores, but what it comes down to is the level of responsibility your child exhibits.

I live in FL and not too long ago, a 14 yr old child was killed because he was texting and attempting to cross a street. Now imagine how bad the parents who bought that phone feel. This is why, we have to, must teach our kids to be safe. We as adults can't drive and text & expect our kids to not do it.

Text Messaging Teen Struck, Killed By Car - Central Florida News 13

Again, I'm all for kids having a phone....the type I feel is dependent on the child.

For the record, I didn't get my first cell phone till I was 20 yrs old & in the Army....& I made the payments on it!!!
    10-27-08 04:55 PM
    Im looking at it from a different standpoint. While I myself use mine constantly for real estate, I also like it due to the technical side.

It just bothers me when adults and even kids who get smartphones can't figure out how to use them. A friend of mine bought herself a curve and her daughter(16) a pearl. I will give it within 3 onths and the phone will either be damaged or running beyond slow. I showed her the most simplistic of steps to take care of them but neither of them have heeded my warning so far. How hard is it to pull out the ddamn battery every few days or delete your texts?

It's not only those 2 complaints that bother me but the fact that if your not on the technical side to learn how to use a blackberry or any smartphone DON'T GET ONE!!!

Maybe its just because I was born and raised as a geek that I can't stand people who get high end electronical devices yet can't figure out where the power button is. (My sister and her ps3) >_> God for bid you read the instruction manual.

I do get that sense of praise when I get asked questions on how to fix or operate the Curve/pearl and I will laugh to death when both of theirs stop working in a few months while im having fun with even the simplest of things. (viigo and jivvetalk).
    *end rant*
    10-27-08 04:55 PM
    Oh, I'm the same way. My wife yells at me all the time but has ME make all the decisions, my daughter calls me "The strictest, meanest parent ever!". I tell her, "You'll thank me when you're older." If you read the posts that I put above, you'll get a jist of it.

I told my daughter she has 3 options when she graduates High School:

1. Go to college part-time, work, and live at my house where she'll pay 1/2 average price of renting a 1 bedroom apartment, to include all utilities, cable, Internet.

2. Go to college full time, live at the dorms, and find her own way of getting money because she will not be living at my house unless she pays rent, even going to school full time.

3. Move out, get her own place, fend for herself ENTIRELY.

Although, the best option that I'd rather her do is go into the Military but that's neither here nor there, I still have 10 years to go.
    I too have the 3 option approach.

1. Local college full or part time, part time job, live at home almost for free.

2. Out of state college full time or part time, dorms, part time job, little assistance from parents.

3. Once you leave the house on your own you can only come back for visits. The front door is not a swinging one. Only in dire emergencies are the kids premitted to return for a short period of time.

As you can see by choose available we want her to stick close to home.
    10-27-08 04:56 PM
    I too have the 3 option approach.

1. Local college full or part time, part time job, live at home almost for free.

2. Out of state college full time or part time, dorms, part time job, little assistance from parents.

3. Once you leave the house on your own you can only come back for visits. The front door is not a swinging one. Only in dire emergencies are the kids premitted to return for a short period of time.

As you can see by choose available we want her to stick close to home.
    Gotcha! I'm eye-to-eye with you.

But one question....

Does that mean your door is ALWAYS open to fellow crackberry adicts? Cause I can use a good home cooked meal!
    10-27-08 05:02 PM
    Gotcha! I'm eye-to-eye with you.

But one question....

Does that mean your door is ALWAYS open to fellow crackberry adicts? Cause I can use a good home cooked meal!
    it does close and lock but....we have been known to entertain with food!
    10-27-08 05:05 PM
    We have 4 kids. My oldest daughters will be 9 and 8 in a matter of a month. We gave our old 8700's to them and actually have no problems. They know what they are allowed to do. I personally think that technology has come so far over the years that now a cell phone is compared to us having an old commador64 back in the day. Im not saying I'm a good parent nor do I care what anyone thinks. I just dont see a threat with them having a phone...they break the rules they loose the phones. Oh, I also gave the 7290 to the boy(6) but his dont have a sim card...he likes brickbreaker
    10-27-08 05:06 PM
    It's funny how every generation changes. Back in the days it was pagers, now everyone wants a cell phone. I don't think it's a one answer for all. Like TVman said, it's a case by case basis. I personally wouldn't get a teen a blackberry and pay $30 extra a month for bb service. Unless they have a job and they are willing to pay for it. I would get them a regular cell phone.

Now whether they get a cell phone is really on what they do. If they are too young to get a job, I would make sure they do chores around the house. Obviously they also have to be doing good in school. They have to keep at least a B average. They can't go over their minutes/texting or it will be taken away from them. I would also start them with a cheap phone and see how well they take care of it. If they are one of those that be dropping them or not giving a crap about them, no upgrade. Also Verizon has those chaperon phones where you know exactly where your kids are. This way they can't lie and say they are going to the movies, and then go somewhere else.

Once they are old enough to get a job, they would either pay for the phone themselves or at least pay the monthly fees. They should help out so they can start learning the responsibility of spending and earning your money. Once again, even though they are old enough and making enough money to pay for them, they should still be doing good in school.
    10-27-08 05:10 PM
331 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD