Well here's the thing. Everyone is bashing kids having BB's I didn't read every post in this thread but a lot.. Some say that its dumb to buy and expencive phone for your child, or its to much of a phone, or its even to hard to use as far as tech. IMO this is a bunch of B.S.
    For simple reason is I have a 13 y/o soon to be 14 and he wants a HTC diamond pro. But I say to him why not get a BB cause your losing out on services we already pay. (that's real talk) So if you think about it (first of all I'm not gonna argue what a 13 y/o kids needs wants or gets. No matter what you they or I say its up to the parents or if the kids earns and saves it still realy up to the parents. So if ya think about my son likes to take lil video of him an his buddies and put them on youtube. Kodak camera I think $220 he needs an Ipod and that he has a 4gb 3rd gen nano $200 a psp $220 with a game or 2. A phone what 100 bucks for a txting phone. Truely some kids wouldn't even need a pc in their room if they had a BB cause all they do is I'm or social network. Oh ya and he has a $50 jump drive to save and swap files with his friends..

So why not get a BB on ebay for 200 like I did and call it a day and he could use it instead of all that other things he might lose. So just keep track of your BB and you good.

Lil rascal still set on a htc pro lol I can't win

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 12:44 AM
    Is another problem all in itself. All phones should be taken away from any student caught texting during school/class and not given back until the end of the semester.

I remember in high school a teacher took my CD player in a study hall and said I could have it back in a week.

Lets just say they had it for about 30 seconds. Bad idea.

Can you imagine a kid comming home and saying "Hey dad, this teacher took my BlackBerry and said I can have it when the class ends in a month."

If someone took my phone in high school PERIOD my dad would have came in and railed someone in the face. (I was on his plan growing up. ) Kids are going to communicate more than even. Even at work im not supposed to EVEN HAVE a phone on me, becuase I work with ******** large amounts of money. Of course I do, and so does everyone else.
    02-27-09 12:50 AM
    I've had a phone since I was 6 hasn't done me any harm! I am now 19!
    02-27-09 04:45 AM
    I've read thru plenty of the stories other par's have posted-my hub & I have 5 children of our own-ages from just about 15 down to 9-1/2 yrs old. We would not buy any of our kids a bb-kids go thru cell ph like they go thru socks... Yes we teach our kids to be responsible-doing chores to help in the home-spending money wisely-etc. BUT kids r kids and they will made mistakes & drop their ph by accident with or w/o damage sometimes-so having a bb - no need for it- 4 of our kids have cell's they use it for txing/litttle calls/pix's. If they want to go on the comp to shop or im- they'l do it where I can monitor them closely-i hear too many horror stories about issues w/kids having myspace or facebooks. Not for our kids- and I don't need to keep up with "the jones" I tell my kids if its something they want - a bb/car/etc. Wen they r old enuff to work & save the money for their goal then they can do so. I will not support a habit just cuz "other kids have this or r getting this" I don't roll that way!!

02-27-09 08:17 AM
    Well here's the thing. Everyone is bashing kids having BB's I didn't read every post in this thread but a lot.. Some say that its dumb to buy and expencive phone for your child, or its to much of a phone, or its even to hard to use as far as tech. IMO this is a bunch of B.S.
    For simple reason is I have a 13 y/o soon to be 14 and he wants a HTC diamond pro. But I say to him why not get a BB cause your losing out on services we already pay. (that's real talk) So if you think about it (first of all I'm not gonna argue what a 13 y/o kids needs wants or gets. No matter what you they or I say its up to the parents or if the kids earns and saves it still realy up to the parents. So if ya think about my son likes to take lil video of him an his buddies and put them on youtube. Kodak camera I think $220 he needs an Ipod and that he has a 4gb 3rd gen nano $200 a psp $220 with a game or 2. A phone what 100 bucks for a txting phone. Truely some kids wouldn't even need a pc in their room if they had a BB cause all they do is I'm or social network. Oh ya and he has a $50 jump drive to save and swap files with his friends..

So why not get a BB on ebay for 200 like I did and call it a day and he could use it instead of all that other things he might lose. So just keep track of your BB and you good.

Lil rascal still set on a htc pro lol I can't win

exactly the point...with all the diffrent devices kids want having a BB is all in one.. i have to agree that there are alot of kids who do not deserve them but there are responsible kids who have been taught the value of a dollar and what it takes to make it....

we could go back and forth till the cow's come home on this topic with the yes and no.....

nothing wrong with me upgrading and passing the old one down.... they just sit in a drawer and collect dust anyway.....
    02-27-09 08:25 AM
    I remember in high school a teacher took my CD player in a study hall and said I could have it back in a week.

Lets just say they had it for about 30 seconds. Bad idea.

Can you imagine a kid comming home and saying "Hey dad, this teacher took my BlackBerry and said I can have it when the class ends in a month."

If someone took my phone in high school PERIOD my dad would have came in and railed someone in the face. (I was on his plan growing up. ) Kids are going to communicate more than even. Even at work im not supposed to EVEN HAVE a phone on me, becuase I work with ******** large amounts of money. Of course I do, and so does everyone else.
    And this is the problem. NO RESPECT. Kids thinking rules are for everyone but them. You wouldn't last long in my class or employed by me.

exactly the point...with all the diffrent devices kids want having a BB is all in one.
    Yes want not need. A child should not be taught they can have everything they want. They need to be taught how to earn it.

02-27-09 10:47 AM
    On the whole kids being hard on phones thing..... Like I said I am 20 years old going on 21... I have had a phone for 3 going on 4 years........and in 3 1/2 years... I have been through 9 cell phones..... 10 when I get my new BB 8130.......only this one and when I upgraded to the voyager were upgrades... all the rest I broke in some way or another.....

As the post above me states the problem is respect........Kids thinking that they have a right to everything and shouldnt have to earn it......same problem with a great number of Americans right now, but I am going to stop before I go on a 3 hour rant about all the lazy people that want everything handed to them by the government
    02-27-09 11:14 AM
    And this is the problem. NO RESPECT. Kids thinking rules are for everyone but them. You wouldn't last long in my class or employed by me.
    Personal property is one thing, being a teacher is another. Undestanding that being too controling over a kid in this day in age can lead to even bigger problems is critical.

AS a side note, I'm 21, not really a "kid". Your also right, if I worked for you in any capacity I'd make it a point to drive you mad.

Toot your respect horn at someone else, you earn none from me.
    02-28-09 12:55 AM
    Personally I think to many ppl on this topic are just plain moronic. First do not get on my back because i can afford to get my daughter and better phone then you have.

I just decided that I wanted to upgrade to the curve 8900. already having the 8320 and still on contract for another year i decided I would switch to a family plan, Now I have a spare BB hummm since my kid had an old razor and it was on my mothers family plan. Needless to say my 12yo kid now has a BB

So here it is as i laid it down to my Daughter. She Carries a 3.8GPA, She Volunteers with a local hospice provider working in the office as well as visiting patients. She has her chores that she does on a daily. My daughter does not ask for things and in 3 years she has not gone over her minutes nor txt msgs.

So to all you haters, you can all kiss my *** and for the ones that will do what you want for your kids without bowing down to pressure from ppl that are opinionated and/or never had kids I salute you
    02-28-09 01:37 AM
    Personal property is one thing, being a teacher is another. Undestanding that being too controling over a kid in this day in age can lead to even bigger problems is critical.

AS a side note, I'm 21, not really a "kid". Your also right, if I worked for you in any capacity I'd make it a point to drive you mad.

Nicely done

02-28-09 07:43 AM

You wouldn't be making me mad, you wouldn't have a job period.

02-28-09 07:54 AM
    WOW! you all make sense! i know what you people are talking about..i mean i dont really know..but i understand..

but as a spoiled brat who hasnt worked in his life yet..hahaha im glad none of you are my parents! haha

Kidding aside...wow im sure you're all great parents teaching your kids this stuff so early.
    02-28-09 08:11 AM
    Not every kid who has a BlackBerry or expensive electronics are spoiled. I'm not. I buy the things that I want.

For high school I wanted a MacBook. I asked my parents if we could go 50/50 on it. They agreed and once I had the money (nearly $1000 for my half) we ordered it. But I had to convince them that a MacBook was right for me. I wanted an iPod Touch when they weren't as popular. I paid to get one of those fully - $300 there. I needed to upgrade my bike because I was out-riding my current one. I could have gotten a more generic bike, but instead I wanted my Haro. I paid $400 for half of that. When I get my BB, I'll be paying full for it. My parents bought me an LG 8600 but after a while I need to upgrade (LG is having issues).

I've either paid at least 50% on all of my expensive electronics. If I want to get something, I work for the money for it and then buy it.

Am I a spoiled brat because I own a MacBook, iPods, a BlackBerry? I pay for all of these. I work to be able to afford them. And I'm more responsible with them then (never an issue if I didn't buy them anyways).

Don't call all of us kids spoiled. I keep a 4.0GPA and am a leader in my school.

~Bcloutier~
    02-28-09 12:05 PM
    Im 17 and a senior in highschool. I actually have 2 phones. One is a HTC xv6900 through vzw which is my personal phone that I dont have the data feature on it. Im an indirect verizon wireless agent and have a blackberry storm for my business phone, lol. Yes I am a 17 year old student with a business phone. The store pays for all of it. So im a kid that has 2 phones, one being a blackberry.
    02-28-09 03:27 PM
    I think I was a sensible child, I didn't ask for a mobile, never. I only suggested one when I completed secondary school and mum just bought me one for completing my exams, and because I was going to college and that she would have to contact me.

I only got a Blackberry just before Christmas, and I realised that it was useful to me as I had about 7 emails and I'm a web person so I get lots of emails etc.

But if I ever had a child, I think he/she wouldn't need a Blackberry till college maybe lol.
    02-28-09 03:56 PM
    What is this? You have to have the last word? Trust me, he'd drive ya mad.
    You wouldn't be making me mad, you wouldn't have a job period.

02-28-09 08:39 PM
    I just think it doesn't matter what use you give to your phone

From business to PURE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY

it's just a phone :P
    02-28-09 11:07 PM
    Should kids have a BlackBerry? There is only one answer to that question. It's up to their parents. Plain and simple. If their parents buy them one so they can be the "cool kid" in school, that's their business. We aren't anyone to tell them how to raise their kids (although we can certainly disagree with that opinion, sure).

Now, what to do with a student caught using their phone during class? I certainly think a teacher should be able to confiscate it, but to say that it won't be returned until the end of the semester/school year or until the parents pay a fine to the school is ridiculous. That basically amounts to theft in my eyes. What they did at my high school was confiscate the phone, send it to the office, and let the student know that the phone would only be returned to their parents.
    03-01-09 01:08 AM
    There's nothing wrong with teenagers having blackberries. I'm 17 and I'm waiting for my blackberry 8900 to arrive =]. I put up 130 for it from selling my sidekick LX and my grandma put in the other 70. I got my LX by saving up 300 when it first came out and only went through 2 LX's since then, which is pretty good, considering I went through about 10 i860s and about 3 i880s when I was with Nextel (but insurance covered everything so nothing was ever really paid for). I go to high school and attend college after school, so I guess it all balances out. I know I'm spoiled, but I spoil myself in a way, and in another way I earn what I get.

I think the way technology is advancing this decade changes the way teenagers think about communication. Blackberries, known for their texting and emailing abilities, actually have a chance at being the next teen-phone instead of the sidekick. I hate sidekicks now since everyone and their mother has them (my mom and her girl have an LX too!) and my mom said that if she likes the 8900 then she'll get one too. She believes I shouldn't have half the things I own (electronics, kicks/clothes, etc.) because I act spoiled & shxt, but the way I think about it, I kinda do deserve it.

I think I need a blackberry now since I'm always texting and emailing people (I hate speaking on the phone). I'm always emailing colleges about what I'm missing, etc. and sidekicks don't deliver emails to the handset the minute they're supposed to be, and blackberries cut it close. Closer than sidekicks, at least.
    03-01-09 01:16 AM
    The bottom line here is the level of the child's maturity, and ability to understand consequence.

If those two are in check, give em 30 Berrys....... Cause like it or not technology is gaining ground so fast its ********. When they are in their 30's and 40's they will be having the same conversation about their children with different technologies...................
    03-10-09 03:28 PM
    Im almost 17 and I saved up for my BlackBerry entirely on income as it is mainly a business expense. It was also on agreement through my parents work as my bill goes through their company/business plan (also I work for them), and with me paying the extra $30/month for an unlimited BB plan for now until they see a price drop in calls/sms, which I assure you they will! And i've never been happier.

But spoilt kids getting handed iPhones from rich parents is different. Every second person at my school has a bloody iPhone. They call ME rich and spoilt for having a second hand Pearl off eBay for AU$150!
    03-10-09 05:21 PM
    I agree, there are brats out there that don't deserve BB's. And those kids that are tech-illiterate out there and want the BB because "everyone else has them". Sorry, but I personally hate it. A girl in my Science class is getting a Storm - and she can barely use her iPod Nano. >.< And at least half of the people with Pearls can't use them properly, too. Saddens me.

Kids should get BlackBerries only if they're responsible, tech-literate and can provide some financial support to the parents to cover (at least) the data cost. IMO.
    Basically your argument says that if the kid knows how to use the blackberry then they should be able to get one. That makes no sense. A kid should pay for their entire phone. When I was younger no one had a cell phone and we got a long just fine. If you need to call them you called their house. If they weren't there then you went looking around the neighborhood. If your parents had to call you then they stuck their head out side and yelled. If you didn't come you got your *** beat for being to far away.

03-10-09 06:40 PM
    Basically your argument says that if the kid knows how to use the blackberry then they should be able to get one. That makes no sense. A kid should pay for their entire phone. When I was younger no one had a cell phone and we got a long just fine. If you need to call them you called their house. If they weren't there then you went looking around the neighborhood. If your parents had to call you then they stuck their head out side and yelled. If you didn't come you got your *** beat for being to far away.

You forgot the part about being able to pay for all or part of it, that counts for a great deal especially in today's society. I think you feel that kids are generally just handed more than they really are, and even IF they are, isn't it their own business? You sound far too defensive against the whole case, which I think is silly. (I mean no offense to that.) I agree with whoever said it depends on the maturity level, and I think if the kid wants it bad enough they'll pay for it. And if their parents happen to want to pay for it FOR them, then so be it I don't have any qualms about it.

lol but then on the other hand, I think little prepubescent twits waltzing around with high tech crap, in their mini skirts and sagging jeans is just PATHETIC. But I don't feel that way because I had to go without when I was younger, I just think it's incredibly distasteful.
    03-20-09 08:59 PM
    I got my first cell when i was 14..a really crappy one, but it worked. My parents paid for me until i tunred 16, they told me to get a job and start paying for it myself. I was on pay and talk until recently and got a Blackberry Storm on a 3 Year. I pay for all my expenses.

Persoanlly, i feel this is how it should be done. Children should learn to have responsibility and work for their luxury's no matter how wealthy they are. Otherwise they will just be spoiled brats who have no appreciation for anything.
    03-20-09 10:15 PM
    Also - i paid for all my phone upgrades too.
    03-20-09 10:16 PM
331 ... 1011121314
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD