I have a 14 almost 15 yr old son. He has had a flip phone since he was roughly 8 yrs old. He had to walk home and if he had a problem I did not want him to be stranded.....Here less then a year ago he had a bike accident(no not texting or anything in his control, he was riding down the street and had a car come to close he went up on the curb and hit a guide wire with his face) He was able to call me so I could come get him and take him for stitches. He has faithfully stuck to his minutes and we just recently added texting. He repays this by being a responsible teenager both for himself and his 6 yr old brother. In a couple yrs the 6 yr will have to walk home by himself. He will get a phone also.....A blackberry, probably not for either one at this age....I just got my first one recently and I dont feel like they need that right now.
    Sometime in the future, it is possible if they both continue to show good judgement for their ages.....In reference to the earlier post about the kids at the phone store throwing a fit sounds about right for a 2 yr old. I am proud to say I cannot imagine either one of them throwing a fit for a bigger memory card.....For me I would have walked out of the store and they would have gotten nothing, not even a basic phone, until they learned a little thing called respect!
    02-05-09 09:05 PM
    I personally am preparing to get my first Blackberry, and at my age, I understand the responsibility that I need to have, and I believe this phone will help me be at least somewhat more organized. I do not pay for the phone, or the bill, but I do not go over my minutes/ texting amounts at all. I think kid's these day's (Wow..Such a hypocrite I know..) just want something flashy that they can go up to their friends and show off. I'm choosing a blackberry because it feels right to me, and I know I will use things most kids wouldn't.
    02-05-09 09:27 PM
    hahahahahahhahahaha i am 13 and have a curve i got a pearl wen i was 12 and had a sidecick wen i was 10 before that i had a razr its a different age oldies
    And that is why you will never learn the value of your things.

When I was 14 I got my first cell phone. It was the cheapest pre paid phone there is. I learned to budget my money if I wanted it to stay on. I learned what my money actually meant because my parents did not pay for a thing for it. That being said I have insisted my sister have one at 12 because she walks to and from school by herself. But she knows she only uses it to call our mom or I. She does not give the number to her friends and she does not call them with it.

I do not think someone in high school even needs a blackberry unless they are paying for it. The only reason I even have one is because I use it for school.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 09:33 PM
    I got a flip phone at 16 when I was a sophomore. It was technically my dad's when my family opened up a new plan with 4 lines, but I needed the phone more than he did for after school activities, like calling my parents for a ride home. I've had 3 different flip phones on the same Verizon family plan and I am now 19.

On Wednesday, I'm going to be getting my own cell phone (the 8900) and I'll be paying for all of it with my saved money + part time job

Now let me ask you parents this: Is it normal the my mom is UPSET that I'm actually taking responsibility and moving off the family plan to buy my own cell phone? I'm 19 and a college student, and the woman is actually UPSET that I'm going to be getting my own phone and actually paying for everything. I really don't understand that woman.
    02-05-09 11:04 PM
    I know it sounds stupid, not knowing your mom, but being a mom. My guess would be she realizes you are growing up and will be starting on your life with less time for her and with her not being needed as much. She will miss you, try to be patient she has to learn to adjust to you not being a little kid, and sometimes for parents they dont handle this as well as they should. I am almost postive she is proud of you and your independence. Congratulations on the new BB!!!!
    02-06-09 07:14 AM
    Now let me ask you parents this: Is it normal the my mom is UPSET that I'm actually taking responsibility and moving off the family plan to buy my own cell phone? I'm 19 and a college student, and the woman is actually UPSET that I'm going to be getting my own phone and actually paying for everything. I really don't understand that woman.
    She is probably smart enough to realize college kids can and do get into trouble with money - having been a poor college myself. She is probably concerned you might not be able to make the payments and ruin your credit.

Why risk it if she wants you to stay on the family plan?

02-06-09 07:41 AM
    I'm 14 and I have a Curve. I only got it because it's cheap on my Mom's busniness plan. And of course I wanted one!
    02-06-09 12:03 PM
    She is probably smart enough to realize college kids can and do get into trouble with money - having been a poor college myself. She is probably concerned you might not be able to make the payments and ruin your credit.

Why risk it if she wants you to stay on the family plan?

Because I unknowingly ran up the family's phone bill to $500 back in November (which I paid for)... I'd say it's time for me to get my own phone lol.

BTW, she knows I only spend my money on important things like food and gas. And she also knows I have $1500 in the bank. I'm hardly the irresponsible type
    02-06-09 02:59 PM
    I know it sounds stupid, not knowing your mom, but being a mom. My guess would be she realizes you are growing up and will be starting on your life with less time for her and with her not being needed as much. She will miss you, try to be patient she has to learn to adjust to you not being a little kid, and sometimes for parents they dont handle this as well as they should. I am almost postive she is proud of you and your independence. Congratulations on the new BB!!!!
    Yeah, that might be the case. Considering I am also going to Michigan State in the Fall, which is 1000 miles away from home
    02-06-09 03:03 PM
    if parents think thier children are responsible enough to handle such an expensive phone, then more power to them..personally, i'm scared enough with ME handling my blackberry, i don't think i could get one for my kids..that's an expensive investment to risk..
    02-06-09 03:46 PM
    Absolutely! While most adolescents' lifestyles do not require many of the capabilities a BlackBerry offers, it still remains to be an efficient and ergonomic device. I had one in high school and now I am in college. Even still, my BlackBerry has more capabilities than I need, but it is trustworthy, efficient, and absolutely stylish. I won't use anything else now.
    02-06-09 03:47 PM
    Guess I'm one of the odd ones. Two of my children have blackberries. One is nine and the other is eight. They are really good with them. Mind you they are pass down phones but they do really well them. At our house everything is technology based so they use them to the fullest extent they can. Mainly email.
    02-06-09 06:03 PM
    Our 15 yr old daughter has a cell for emergencies and uses my 5 canadawide to talk to her out of town bff.

We may be giving her a blackberry shortly. The reason? Her regular cell is broken and this particular phone also gave my husband numerous issues. At least I know the blackberry is going to last the full term of her contract unlike a crappy sony or nokia phone.

Used properly, it can be a good thing. Oh and if she has the bb, we will put latitudes on it so we can track her
    02-07-09 09:18 AM
    I think its all up to the parents. I don't think its too much we really can say here. Everyone is going to have their opinion and its nothing wrong with that.

02-07-09 09:30 AM
    I think what has started in business world has finally reached the consumer world, especially with site like Celebrity BlackBerry Sightings.

I prefer the productivity aspects and it is just the perfect smartphone to matches my mobile lifestyle (on the road 3-5 days a week)
    02-07-09 02:27 PM
    Of course it's unnecessary, but what features on modern devices aren't!! If you want the best there is and can truly benefit from using a BlackBerry, then you should have one. Even if all you like is its look or feel and that matters most to you, but could not care less about internet or e-mail, then you should get it. It's a device and in a few years, we'll all (hopefully) have a new device of some sort (BlackBerry in my case)... so why not indulge?
    Last edited by zarzamora_hermosa; 02-18-09 at 02:53 PM.
    02-18-09 02:49 PM
    Guess I'm one of the odd ones. Two of my children have blackberries. One is nine and the other is eight. They are really good with them. Mind you they are pass down phones but they do really well them. At our house everything is technology based so they use them to the fullest extent they can. Mainly email.
    Dude, what kind of e-mail can a nine year old and an eight year old possibly get? Time changes for their favorite tv shows? I'm sorry but that just seems a little overboard, try to exercise some control mate, if they have blackberries at such a young age, who knows what they will have/do when their older.

Get real dude
    02-18-09 03:52 PM
    If the child wants to pay for it with their money fine. Also, text messages are free Blackberry to Blackberry (pinging) so that would actually save a little money. Teaching responsibility is allowing them to pay for their wants versus needs.
    02-25-09 07:55 PM
    Ah my god what nazis some of you sound like. Telling people to get control of themselves, "get grips" on themselves. Or accusing others of not properly teaching their children responsibility. For what? Having children who are able to operate a bb and who have parents who can afford purchasing them? You all sound like stuffy iceburgs and quite uninformed to make such stupid assumptions.
    I have two daughters 10 and 7 both with cellphones since they were 5. They both have bb curve 8330's and know how to use them. They make videos and share them with their two grandmas on youtube. They collect all their songs, pictures and whatever on it. And our whole family has bbm and we all use that. So, it is not so black and white. Calm the F down for christ sakes.

02-26-09 06:45 PM
    I do not have children as of yet but, I could totally see my child having my hand me downs... Kids today are moving forward at an alarming rate with technology..

The ability to have information at your finger tips is an amazing step in the evolution of our kind.

I am all for it...
    02-26-09 06:54 PM
    kids dont need smartphones. only an moron would spend more than a hundred bucks on a phone for a kid. a pay as you go phone for emergencies is fine, a blackberry is just unnecessary spoiling. they should worry about schoolwork, not their AIM or myspace going off in their pocket. teach your kids some financial discipline. unless you wanna buy them things and pay their bills forever.
    02-26-09 07:29 PM
    I think that it's unnecessary. Yes, I can see the usefulness of them- but I don't agree with parents paying for cellphones for their kids. If they want a luxury like a cellphone (over and above an emergency pay as you go phone) that the kids should have to pay for it (either by doing chores, getting a job, etc.). I see how some parents see them as something the kids NEED- but honestly they don't. If YOU need to get in touch with them then get them a pay as you go phone so you can text them/call them. But I find kids without that kind of "starter phone" go over their limits all the time, etc. It's a life skill you need to learn to manage your expenses- start them early!
    I can't agree with this more.....

I am 20 years old and have had a cell since I was 14....that was prepay... plan phone since I was 17... have always paid for it myself.... along with, gas, insurance, stuff for my hobbies, food when I eat out, books, and college tuition among other things....

Really makes a kid appreciate everything that much more
    02-26-09 07:39 PM
    I love these threads. People get so judgemental. WoW!

02-26-09 10:25 PM
    Yeah. Judgemental and then very hurt when people give their own opinions. That's what the OP asked for. OPINIONS. Why the defenses? Its ok for people to have different ideas. Me personally? My 14 is a brat and I wish I had made her earn her cell phone. But one thing I have to say....its make a GREAT punishment device! Haha. That and her ipod. Take anything else away but not the POD or the phone! Lol. I have reached my limit with her. We started by getting free phones with her and the last one cost us 50. No BBs in her near future! She's almost old enough to get a job.

02-26-09 10:55 PM
    For me, having a BB will be worth it. I'm very techy and know my way around anything electronic. I know how to use these to their fullest (iPod Touch w/ WiFi everywhere is a substitute for a Storm right now).

With the way my plan is set up, I get unlimited everything basically, so that means no going over my limits. When getting a phone at first we looked at getting a Pay As You Go, but that would end up costing us twice as much in the long run (yes, I use my phone quite a bit). It was better to get me on a large voice and data/text plan and not have to worry about overages than to do a PAYG phone.

I agree, there are brats out there that don't deserve BB's. And those kids that are tech-illiterate out there and want the BB because "everyone else has them". Sorry, but I personally hate it. A girl in my Science class is getting a Storm - and she can barely use her iPod Nano. >.< And at least half of the people with Pearls can't use them properly, too. Saddens me.

Kids should get BlackBerries only if they're responsible, tech-literate and can provide some financial support to the parents to cover (at least) the data cost. IMO.

~Bcloutier~
    02-27-09 12:24 AM
331 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD