I think that it's unnecessary. Yes, I can see the usefulness of them- but I don't agree with parents paying for cellphones for their kids. If they want a luxury like a cellphone (over and above an emergency pay as you go phone) that the kids should have to pay for it (either by doing chores, getting a job, etc.). I see how some parents see them as something the kids NEED- but honestly they don't. If YOU need to get in touch with them then get them a pay as you go phone so you can text them/call them. But I find kids without that kind of "starter phone" go over their limits all the time, etc. It's a life skill you need to learn to manage your expenses- start them early!

I'm a Nanny and I have the power to manage the kids I look after's cellphone training/teach them money management. The oldest (16) just bought his first plan cell with his own saved up money he's earned doing chores around the house (paid over minimum wage) and pays the bill with the same money. He also has a prepaid Mastercard that his allowance is deposited to...he knows there's consequences for overspending and I think it's a good way to start him.

His sister is 13. She wants a cellphone but can't afford it- so she has her pay as you go phone for emergencies. If she uses the whole balance- well, you're screwed. We deposit 10$ a month for her and if she uses it only for what it was bought for that should be more than enough. If she wants to use it for other stuff then she has to pay for the extra minutes- and she knows that if we try and contact her for something and we can't cause her minutes are gone she's grounded for a week. So she has to learn to keep it topped up/manage her usage. She gets her allowance (paid minimum wage for household chores) in cash right now but when she turns 14 we're going to have a talk about getting her a prepaid card too.

9 year old will get a Pay as you go phone when she turns 10, or inherit her sisters if she gets the $$ to upgrade.

I'm training these kids to be responsible and know the difference between want vs. need and their parents agree.

Anyways that's my view...as you can tell I feel strongly about this.
    im 14 and i do good in schools so my parents give me awards like things i would already ask for so i will keep it up i think it works cuz i dont wanna lose my bb plan that would be end of the world
    12-05-08 06:14 AM
    im 14 and i do good in schools so my parents give me awards like things i would already ask for so i will keep it up i think it works cuz i dont wanna lose my bb plan that would be end of the world
    Do they teach you grammer, punctuation, spelling and about run on sentences in school?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by vndlewis; 12-05-08 at 06:50 AM.
    12-05-08 06:47 AM
    Do they teach you grammer, punctuation, spelling and about run on sentences in school?
    That might actually be an argument in favor of kids getting BBs: with a full keyboard there might be less impetus for their messages devolving into "text speak."
    12-05-08 07:12 AM
    I remember back when I was younger it was cool to just have a "Pager or Beeper....how ever old school you are, lol". I think a child should worry about getting into a good college, damn a cell phone. IF, I had children, they would have to "pre pay it up" or nothing!!!
    12-09-08 12:55 AM
    That might actually be an argument in favor of kids getting BBs: with a full keyboard there might be less impetus for their messages devolving into "text speak."

and to top that off. You have spell checker and everything.

when you type something it can auto correct and they see the auto correct in real time..

I can't say I am a saint with it using things like LOL, ROFL, and such has become a common thing in my life with friends on instant messengers.

However when I sit down to write something in a more professional way I can do it.

Posting things on this forum and such I don't even bother with it much. I just type away and hope people can read it.
    12-09-08 01:12 AM
    I don't really approve of kids having blackberrys, simply because I think its unnecessary. That said...I know that if I was in high school right now, I'd probably still want a blackberry.

My biggest thing is when parents buy their kids this expensive phone and then don't teach them how to care for their phone or teach them to be responsible.

If you are a kid and working hard in school, getting good grades, etc...great...I'm all for the reward with getting a nice phone/blackberry. But I see a lot of parents who just get the phone, don't discipline their kids and thats when I think its a problem.
    12-09-08 01:19 AM
    I'm 17, turning 18 in not even a months time, I've had a cell phone since I was 12. I've had a blackberry since I was 14ish, I've had the curve, the pearl, the curve again. I use the phone in, what I believe, is its entirety. I use the alarm, calendar, notes, voicemessages, pictures, texting, calling, blackberry messanger, internet. I've been using all these features since I first received the blackberry. Yes my parents have paid for my plan/phones, and yes it was expensive, but it seems that the common belief in this thread is that kids dont appreciate it. Some do, not all kids that get the blackberry AS KIDS are spoiled (in the sense that they're rotten ), not all recieve the brand new nissan 350z (as posted earlier) not all throw a fit in the store to get the bigger memory card. I don't. What's the point of this thread? I dont know. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me for a parent to buy the phone their child wants at a good price if the child can use it responsibly and appreciate the superiority of their device!
    12-09-08 07:20 AM
    I'm in IT for work also and I know what you're talking about with regards to Blackberries and people. The one thing that I've come to realize is that those individuals who need 'more help' with their blackberry are those who are like my parents ages (40+) whereas the younger individuals, like myself (28) can figure them out on their own. I believe that's mainly because we came up through the techno-age.
    So what you are saying is that people over 40 are stupid and don't know how to do anything technical? Being in IT, have you ever seen an MacIntosh?
    Not to belittle you, BUT, all those 40+ people you are talking about are the ones who came out with the technology that allows you to have a Blackberry in the first place(built my first computer in 1987 at a cost of over $6000 (Memory at the time was $100/mb))

I also see a lot of people in their 20's - 30's that have NO CLUE as to how to even work on a computer, so don't make the assumption that all young people are techno savvy.

I have been in IT for over 15 years now and you would be amazed at some of the things I have seen over the years.

That said, I was at a football game this weekend and almost every child around where we were sitting had cell phones (Including one who could not have been older than 5 or 6) and all they did was play on their phones, never even watched the game at all. My 11 year old grandson was given one by his dad even tho we told him he has no need for it and would not know how to use it, (he has had it taken away 5 times since he got it a month ago (every time he gets in trouble ( he lives with us) he runs and calls his dad to tell him we are being mean to him,(this last time he was told to write "Bridget and I" 50 times on a piece of paper) so it gets taken away for a day or two. (our rules)
    I have to agree with most of the people on here that yes children having them is a good idea at times BUT only if they show that they can be responsible with them.
    12-09-08 08:34 AM
    Dude,
    I see this all the time. Big phones cost big money in the real world. If they were Free/Cheap. everyone would have them. But their not. Most people I hear about go over minutes. I did myself when I was with Verizon. I learned the hard way. I ran up about a $500 bill. That's a ridiculous amount of money to spend for talking on a phone. Land lines are about $28/month for all the calls you want to make. If your kid is irresponsible like I was in the beggining, you're in for a world of debt. It seems like most kids want the latest phone just to look cool at school. I don't know why, but it annoys me. Their parents basically fund thier "social status" in Jr. High/High school. Get a job kid.
    12-09-08 08:55 AM
    I'm 21 and my parents have always paid for my phone bill. I got my first smartphone at 18, and then went back to a regular flip phone for a while. When I wanted to upgrade to a Pearl earlier this year I paid for the actual phone bc my dad didn't want to. But he doesn't mind paying the bill bc its the same price now as when we both had flip phones and my line had a lot of add ons.

Personally I don't think a highschooler NEEDS a bb but if their parents want to let them have one then that's up to them.

But I'm grateful that my parents pay for my bb service bc now that I'm in college it really is useful.

12-09-08 08:56 AM
    my mom bought me my first phone back in the day. it was a motorola timeport. she bought the phone, i paid the monthly bills. now i have a storm. i bought that myself, and i'm paying the bill myself. it's around 120 a month.

my little sister is ten years old and has a pantech phone. it was free, and she's under my mom's family plan so it's only ten dollars more a month (at&t). the phone is off most of the time, and she rarely makes calls. it was her birthday gift.

would i buy my child a blackberry? absolutely not.

give them my old one? maybe.
    12-09-08 09:05 AM
    So what you are saying is that people over 40 are stupid and don't know how to do anything technical? Being in IT, have you ever seen an MacIntosh?
    Not to belittle you, BUT, all those 40+ people you are talking about are the ones who came out with the technology that allows you to have a Blackberry in the first place(built my first computer in 1987 at a cost of over $6000
    (Memory at the time was $100/mb))

I also see a lot of people in their 20's - 30's that have NO CLUE as to how to even work on a computer, so don't make the assumption that all young people are techno savvy.

I have been in IT for over 15 years now and you would be amazed at some of the things I have seen over the years.
    Amen! It amazes me when younger folks think we are sooo-ooo dumb, when it comes to info technology. That may have been true for MY parents (because the technology wasn't there), but my generation definitely "gets it", better than some of the younger ones.

I think before younger users get defensive, they need to consider a few things: Yes, there are a lot of young people, who are responsible and care about things in the world...as it should be. God bless you, and continue to be that way.

However, there are quite a few, who clearly have a profound sense of "entitlement", and think they "must" have expensive cell phones, $200 jeans, and whatever else their friends have. They're bratty, disrespectful and have no basic fiscal responsibility, whatsoever. They think their parents are roommates with credit cards.

I've got a co-worker right now, who's losing sleep over the idea of telling her kids that they may not have a lot of stuff under the tree, this Christmas. Why is that?
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 12-09-08 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
    12-09-08 09:07 AM
    Well, aside from any generation or class warfare issues, again the issue of the topic seems to be responsibility. Kids (or anyone) who use any sort of phone, BB or otherwise, when they're supposed to be doing other things (chores, paying attention in class, driving, whatever) are clearly demonstrating a failure in that regard, and probably should not have the things.
    12-09-08 09:10 AM
    Not to belittle you, BUT, all those 40+ people you are talking about are the ones who came out with the technology that allows you to have a Blackberry in the first place(built my first computer in 1987 at a cost of over $6000 (Memory at the time was $100/mb))

That said, I was at a football game this weekend and almost every child around where we were sitting had cell phones (Including one who could not have been older than 5 or 6) and all they did was play on their phones, never even watched the game at all. My 11 year old grandson was given one by his dad even tho we told him he has no need for it and would not know how to use it, (he has had it taken away 5 times since he got it a month ago (every time he gets in trouble ( he lives with us) he runs and calls his dad to tell him we are being mean to him,(this last time he was told to write "Bridget and I" 50 times on a piece of paper) so it gets taken away for a day or two. (our rules)
    I have to agree with most of the people on here that yes children having them is a good idea at times BUT only if they show that they can be responsible with them.

I agree partially with this..

I don't think all people in there 40's are tech idiots..

However saying that kids aren't going to be are aren't already more advanced coming up is a joke. I am nearing 30 now.. I came up in strong technology yes I didn't know a thing about servers or it policy's or how a network fully worked. Those type of things weren't taught.

My Father purchased a comp around the same time you built yours. My dad was and still is extremely tech savvy. However do to what was in schools at the time and what was actually available I passed him up on te thing pretty quickly..

This doesn't mean that all kids are brainiac's but when there is a full blow new computer sitting in a kids kindergarten class its going to make a difference. 4 year olds that now surf the net to there favorite disney website.

The new age is always going to be more advance because of whats available when learning. This doesn't mean mean that all 30 and 40 year olds are idiots. We shouldn't be blind about the truth though either.

This can be compared to anything else as well not just computers..

I remember one year for the holidays we had a guest over who was in her 70's

I received a CD walkman as a present.. Should had no clue what a CD was we had to tell her it was like a record. It is just with the way times change. I remember when I got a iPod and my uncle and a few cousin's were in complete shock that I could fit 20,000 songs in it and had no clue how the heck it could be on a computer chip like that.. This doesn't mean those people are dumb it just shows how fast technology actually changes.

And depending on were you work.. Or who you have worked with I have ran into quite a few IT guys that just didn't keep up with new technology and were still stuck in ways of the past.
    Last edited by noaim; 12-09-08 at 04:40 PM.
    12-09-08 04:31 PM
    I guess I'm the odd man out, but my daughter (at 5) will be getting a phone for christmas as will my 4 year old. Why? Because the 4 year old when he is with his father wants to call my husband (step dad who raised him without the bio dad in the picture for two years) he isn't comfortable askign his bio dad if he can. The 5 year old will get one because she already knows how to use mine (a storm) and I feel that being able to text myself, my husband and other family members will greatly help her spelling. It doesnt' really need help, but any time that I can make learning FUN is time and money that I consider very well spent.
    12-09-08 04:47 PM
    Please tell me it is one of those that the parent decides what numbers can be called and they are not expensive phones. A 4 & 5 year old do not understand that type of responsibility.

12-09-08 04:55 PM
    Actually I think that is a valid point. I've noticed that the way certain friends of mine type via text is the same way they communicate via email and instant messages as well. It all started to keep the texts under the 160 character limit, generally.
    12-09-08 04:57 PM
    My 10 and 8 year old share a older choclate. The older son downloaded a golf game once from the Get it Now, but never did it again. They use the phone when they go off without us, friends, family, etc. Overall It is on the family share plan and they do not use it a whole bunch. Considering I use my phone around 1900 minutes a month compared to their 50 I keep close track of my minutes daily. I probably wouldn't get them blackberries just yet though.
    12-09-08 11:03 PM
    Actually I think that is a valid point. I've noticed that the way certain friends of mine type via text is the same way they communicate via email and instant messages as well. It all started to keep the texts under the 160 character limit, generally.
    Your point about the character limit is also valid...but still: when you're communicating via the written word punctuation, grammar and spelling are just as important as the point you're trying to get across. I'm seeing the distressing decaying trends in my children, and even in the local newspaper. Journalists are, one would expect, the very keepers of correct language skills, and yet even I routinely notice errors. What are their editors doing? And why aren't children being taught when it's appropriate to truncate words and when you need to put your best foot forward and use the language correctly? (yanking this post back on topic) It may be that's the lesson being taught while the kids are goofing off in class, texting their friends instead of learning.

Maybe Orwell got it right with "Newspeak," and just missed the timing.
    12-10-08 06:54 AM
    I wouldn't call myself a child, I am almost 18.. But since I've been 16 and got a job, I've had a cell phone. My first one was a simple Motorola flip phone, which I got for Xmas, and only costed my parents 20$ a month. Now, as I get older, I'm dealing with work schedules, school schedules, basketball schedules, etc etc, and have more responsibilities, so I got myself a Curve back in August. My father paid the base fee of 149.99,(we got a new contract) and I pay the 70$ a month my data plan costs me. It consists of Unlimited texting, 200 daytime minutes a month, free after 6/weekends, and unlimited data. I never go over my 70$ bill per month, and the phone is perfect for me.

That's my story. Now to answer you're question, I think it is unessacary for anyone under 16 to have a BB, BUT if they can afford it, by all means.

12-10-08 07:17 AM
    I know blackberry's were originaly made for just business, but it seems everywhere I look at my school, someone has a blackberry.(Im 16) I feel it is sooooo much more than a business phone and I think it's great having so many kids with Blackberry's. How do you guys feel about this??? Just wondering. Thanks!
    AS long as they are getting good use from the BB, I think its a great device to keep the kids organized.
    02-05-09 09:21 AM
    hahahahahahhahahaha i am 13 and have a curve i got a pearl wen i was 12 and had a sidecick wen i was 10 before that i had a razr its a different age oldies
    02-05-09 09:28 AM
    My 18 year old has the sidekick. I pay for the phone but he wanted the internet package so he pays for that every month. My 15 year old will get my pearl when I get the 8900 next week but she will not have the data plan for she can't pay for it. I think that is fair.
    02-05-09 10:45 AM
    hahahahahahhahahaha i am 13 and have a curve i got a pearl wen i was 12 and had a sidecick wen i was 10 before that i had a razr its a different age oldies
    Im 13 andI have a storm but i bought it with the money i saved. This person is just spoiled.
    02-05-09 04:04 PM
    Cell phone since grade 4, full keyboard phone when in grade 8 (hp hw6950), blackberry bold in grade 9!
    I'm on by 4th cell so far in about 5 years. There is no problem with children under 10 to have a cell phone or a Blackberry Peral and it ok to have any phone after that.
    And for the parents who say that it's not nessaseary to have a cell phone.... Maybe you should change your mind if you want your kids to have a social life and if they want a blackberry it's fine too!
    Parents should stop comparing life with how it was 30-40 years ago when no one had cell phones and they lived. Life is different now everyone has cell phone!

02-05-09 08:23 PM
331 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD