I was planning on getting the KEYone but that said. I'm not in it for the physical keyboard as I've always enjoyed all BlackBerry keyboards. Physical and virtual dating back to suretype. I become very fluid with whatever system I use. So my question is, which phone is the higher quality device? Which will outlive the other? I'm sure the dtek will be discounted more and more sooner than the KEYone. Does anyone have both that can share their opinion? I like the design of the KEYone and a big fan of battery and I do love mashing out texts and emails on a physical keypad. But I like the amoled display of the dtek60 and the lack of moving parts. (Less things to break or wear out) I'm not a media hog on my mobile so screen size doesn't matter. Just rambling now. Share your opinions. I'm purchasing a new phone before I head home for Canada day so I have a couple weeks of studying the differences yet. Thanks in advance
    06-10-17 12:34 AM
    My wife uses a DTEK60. Performance is pretty good, and the build quality is EXTREMELY solid. The biggest pain-point right now is that it hasn't updated to Nougat (yet), but that should be coming any time now.

The DTEK60 has decent performance and--to me, at least--is kinda future-proof by being able to handle 2TB microSD cards.
    06-10-17 01:15 AM
    We have both a DTEK60 and KEYone in our house.

Having had BlackBerrys since the Storm, with my absolute favourite (so far) being the fantastic Z30 until I was tempted by the DTEK60 - the DTEK60 is great phone and very fast and capable phone. Limited production run it my have been, but it has and still surprises me how it has eased the giving up of my lovely Z30.

I wanted a KEYone too and fortunately my wife was interested in getting one (couldn't justify another big spend on a phone for me). We have KEYone from first release in UK and it is great. We were so pleased as it did/does feel like such a quality device .... however, the recent JerryRigEverything review with screen pop has shocked and disappointed me - lets wait and see what BlackBerry Mobile do about it ..... real opportunity here for previous let downs that I feel we've been given by Blackberry (still buy them though!!!) to be eased.

I would give two bits of advice:
    If getting a DTEK60 - get an Incipio case, I am careful with phone but life happens and the Incipio case has saved my phone so many times.

If getting a KEYone, perhaps wait until the screen query is clearer.

All the best.
    vishesh batra likes this.
    06-10-17 02:22 AM
    No question - KEYone!

The DTek60 also (not officially) is EOL (to be harsh).
    It's not even sure it will get the update to 7.1

Posted via CB10
    06-11-17 05:47 PM
    No question - KEYone!

Posted via CB10
    The DTEK50 and 60 were recently released devices with chip sets more than capable of running 7.0 and or 7.1. (as they do on other similarly spec'd Android devices-617-G4,820- S7) I don't think there is any doubt they will get Nougat. I believe saying otherwise is just trying to spread some kind of fear or nonsense.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    06-11-17 07:54 PM
    The DTEK50 and 60 were recently released devices with chip sets more than capable of running 7.0 and or 7.1. (as they do on other similarly spec'd Android devices-617-G4,820- S7) I don't think there is any doubt they will get Nougat. I believe saying otherwise is just trying to spread some kind of fear or nonsense.

The thing is, we have seen plenty of times that a phone's true capabilities doesn't necessarily affect whether it'll get an update like Apple handles things. (Microsoft and some Android brands are particularly egregious)

BlackBerry has been virtually silent on the topic which doesn't bode well. OnePlus just announced the OnePlus 2 won't see Nougat despite being very capable. (moreso than the Priv)

I'd love to say BlackBerry understands the need for some major updates and their brand, but I fear that won't be the case as they're a company like many others, and many others have made that same mistake. (although whether it was a true mistake remains to be seen as being a company, they do the profitability math.)
    06-12-17 12:04 AM
    The thing is, we have seen plenty of times that a phone's true capabilities doesn't necessarily affect whether it'll get an update like Apple handles things. (Microsoft and some Android brands are particularly egregious)

BlackBerry has been virtually silent on the topic which doesn't bode well. OnePlus just announced the OnePlus 2 won't see Nougat despite being very capable. (moreso than the Priv)

I'd love to say BlackBerry understands the need for some major updates and their brand, but I fear that won't be the case as they're a company like many others, and many others have made that same mistake. (although whether it was a true mistake remains to be seen as being a company, they do the profitability math.)
    I would not compare One Plus with BlackBerry in regards to device OS updates nor would I agree the One Plus 2 is that much more capable. The 810 was not a well reviewed or received SOC outside of usage in the 6P and even that device has had issues. At the time of release for the PRIV the 808 was regarded as a more stable chip set with lessor heat issues, software tuning aside.

06-12-17 09:38 AM
    I would not compare One Plus with BlackBerry in regards to device OS updates nor would I agree the One Plus 2 is that much more capable. The 810 was not a well reviewed or received SOC outside of usage in the 6P and even that device has had issues. At the time of release for the PRIV the 808 was regarded as a more stable chip set with lessor heat issues, software tuning aside.

The 808 and 810 may not have been the most well received, but they are still very capable. (I'd be using a Nexus 5X if it weren't for the bootlooping issue, but that's an LG problem not an 808 one.)

The OnePlus 2 may not be as upscale but it is still capable (and has 4 GB of RAM too) as custom ROMs show us.

I'm still just saying that while the hardware is perfectly fine and Qualcomm hasn't dropped the chipset yet, I still wouldn't be so quick to assume Nougat for these devices, especially since BlackBerry continues to dodge the question.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-12-17 08:04 PM
    My wife uses a DTEK60. Performance is pretty good, and the build quality is EXTREMELY solid. The biggest pain-point right now is that it hasn't updated to Nougat (yet), but that should be coming any time now.

The DTEK60 has decent performance and--to me, at least--is kinda future-proof by being able to handle 2TB microSD cards.
    The DTEK60 can take 2TB MicroSD cards to, it has a Snapdragon 820 SoC, it will handle those SD cards better than a KEYOne
    06-12-17 10:56 PM
    We have both a DTEK60 and KEYone in our house.

Having had BlackBerrys since the Storm, with my absolute favourite (so far) being the fantastic Z30 until I was tempted by the DTEK60 - the DTEK60 is great phone and very fast and capable phone. Limited production run it my have been, but it has and still surprises me how it has eased the giving up of my lovely Z30.

I wanted a KEYone too and fortunately my wife was interested in getting one (couldn't justify another big spend on a phone for me). We have KEYone from first release in UK and it is great. We were so pleased as it did/does feel like such a quality device .... however, the recent JerryRigEverything review with screen pop has shocked and disappointed me - lets wait and see what BlackBerry Mobile do about it ..... real opportunity here for previous let downs that I feel we've been given by Blackberry (still buy them though!!!) to be eased.

I would give two bits of advice:
    If getting a DTEK60 - get an Incipio case, I am careful with phone but life happens and the Incipio case has saved my phone so many times.

If getting a KEYone, perhaps wait until the screen query is clearer.

All the best.
    Thanks. I just made the same decision as I Have been missing the Z30. It should arrive this week. The only thing I'm concerned about is the size.

BB 9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>
    Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    06-12-17 10:57 PM
    Thanks. I just made the same decision as I Have been missing the Z30. It should arrive this week. The only thing I'm concerned about is the size.

BB 9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>
    Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    I'm sure you're enjoy it ....Go Well
    06-12-17 11:35 PM
    As for performance of the processor, i'd prefer the DTEK60

Posted via CB10
    06-13-17 01:27 AM
    No question - KEYone!

Posted via CB10
    What on earth is your definition of EOL??? The phone is still being patched monthly with no end in sight. Not getting an upgrade to the newest OS does not equate to End of Life. Android J (4.3), K and L are not yet EOL, according to Google, so how on earth can M be?

Just because you prefer something new does not mean that other versions are EOL.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-13-17 12:40 PM

I didn't say that the DTek-devices offer a bad chipset - on the contrary those are still pretty decent devices.

But there recently was an article on the #1 German BlackBerry Blog that claimed that only the DTek50 will receive the OS update to 7.x, because the selling numbers for the DTek60 & Priv were too low to push that update out.

All devices will get the promised security patches - but not all Nougat.
    And BB10QNX (that blog) is a pretty reliable source for BlackBerry news.

With that in mind and what they also promised for OS10, with all that "full commitment" - I would go KEYone.
    Let me point out, there is no prove for that - but if you spend that amount of money, it would be a sad if the promised bubble will pop again.
    06-14-17 03:24 AM
    What on earth is your definition of EOL??? The phone is still being patched monthly with no end in sight. Not getting an upgrade to the newest OS does not equate to End of Life. Android J (4.3), K and L are not yet EOL, according to Google, so how on earth can M be?

Just because you prefer something new does not mean that other versions are EOL.

My definition of EOL is not an official EOL! - I wrote that I use harsh words for that.
    Also, OS10 isn't officially EOL, but just look at it.

Security patches for Android is something they HAVE to keep, because it's part of their marketing for being "super secure".
    I also wanna point out that the DTek-devices are good devices, hands down.

But recently there was article on the German #1 blog post for BlackBerry that said that only the DTek50 will get an upgrade to Android 7.x - because the selling numbers for the DTek60 & Priv were too low to put in any afford for that.

Those are statements with no proof, but BBQNX (that Blog) is pretty reliable when it comes to infos, news and rumors.
    So, take that with that like a grain of salt, but I would keep it in mind when I would consider to buy a BlackBerry-Android device.

BlackBerry isn't that honest company any more when it comes to sell devices.

They still sell OS10 devices with zero support and still claim that there is "full commitment".
    06-14-17 03:31 AM
    well I am not too concerned with the OS updates? I'm more curious how the two devices compare in real life , battery life average, lag and stutters, camera performance (quality ,speed) which has brighter screen. . I'm a fan of amoled (dtek60) but I use a g5 as my primary right now and it's a really nice lcd panel. case availability? anything you can actually compare other than speculation of updates to newer android versions.
    06-14-17 11:20 AM
    My definition of EOL is not an official EOL! - I wrote that I use harsh words for that.
    Also, OS10 isn't officially EOL, but just look at it.

Security patches for Android is something they HAVE to keep, because it's part of their marketing for being "super secure".
    I also wanna point out that the DTek-devices are good devices, hands down.

But recently there was article on the German #1 blog post for BlackBerry that said that only the DTek50 will get an upgrade to Android 7.x - because the selling numbers for the DTek60 & Priv were too low to put in any afford for that.

Those are statements with no proof, but BBQNX (that Blog) is pretty reliable when it comes to infos, news and rumors.
    So, take that with that like a grain of salt, but I would keep it in mind when I would consider to buy a BlackBerry-Android device.

BlackBerry isn't that honest company any more when it comes to sell devices.

They still sell OS10 devices with zero support and still claim that there is "full commitment".
    Thanks for the clarification. I understand what you seem to be feeling.

By the way, BlackBerry isn't still selling BB10 devices, but I would argue that they've supported BB10 just fine. The development community just didn't see the benefit of supporting it. My BB10 devices are recently patches and work perfectly.

06-14-17 01:12 PM
    well I am not too concerned with the OS updates? I'm more curious how the two devices compare in real life , battery life average, lag and stutters, camera performance (quality ,speed) which has brighter screen. . I'm a fan of amoled (dtek60) but I use a g5 as my primary right now and it's a really nice lcd panel. case availability? anything you can actually compare other than speculation of updates to newer android versions.
    I have the same questions about everyday use. From the DTEK 60 forum I get the impression that it's hard to find cases, screen protectors, or spare parts. If so, that would concern me, as it sounds like it's already a niche, if not orphan, phone. I've also seen comments that the screen scratches easily, and that the glass back is fragile.

In my case, I'm thinking of a move from a Priv.
    06-14-17 06:07 PM

Without blackberry saying they are updating it you are spreading false information too.
    06-14-17 06:31 PM
    I have the same questions about everyday use. From the DTEK 60 forum I get the impression that it's hard to find cases, screen protectors, or spare parts. If so, that would concern me, as it sounds like it's already a niche, if not orphan, phone. I've also seen comments that the screen scratches easily, and that the glass back is fragile.

In my case, I'm thinking of a move from a Priv.
    I would buy a smartphone that is going to get some relevant updates for not less than 18/24 months.... Nobody does know what is going to be with the Dtek phones. Better then to buy Keyone or another brand that will ensure you updates and new functions. Especially if you pay quite a lot of money!

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 07:40 AM