Most people on CrackBerry were certainly WOW'd by this mornings keynote, but we weren't the only ones. Sure, wall street didn't react positively, but I can't remember a single Apple event where stocks soured. Investors want to see products, not promises. That being said, developers were definitely impressed. I'm reading articles all over the place now about developers hoping on board because of how easily it is to develop for BB10. With apps comes consumers and with consumers come more apps. It's an ongoing cycle that hopefully RIM has finally found a way into.
    bluetroll and Stewartj1 like this.
    05-01-12 11:04 AM
    Push forward, market market market....
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    05-01-12 11:24 AM
    care to link to any of these articles? Id love to see them.
    05-01-12 11:34 AM
    For starters check out ZDNet, CNet, and a few others, check out BGR if you want to see a crybaby because he couldn't get a developers phone, I wonder why considering, he constantly puts down anything not Apple.
    bluetroll likes this.
    05-01-12 11:48 AM
    Investers aren't wow'd because: 1, no actual consumer devices; and 2, no firm release date. They don't like ambiguity and uncertainty or anything that isn't going to increase numbers for the next quarter. Screw 'em ... that's life, bub.

I'm certainly intrigued, and that's all I care aboot.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    05-01-12 12:22 PM
    Where can i watch the keynote? does anyone have a link?
    05-01-12 12:29 PM
    this was for developers, nobody else... THEY are the customers RIM wants and needs NOW..

The market? gimme a break.. RIM has sold stories and promises to the market a dozen times.. the market knows it, the analysts know it and even RIM knows it..

The stock prices is sustainably affected by performance, not promises.
    05-01-12 12:31 PM
    this was for developers, nobody else... THEY are the customers RIM wants and needs NOW..

The market? gimme a break.. RIM has sold stories and promises to the market a dozen times.. the market knows it, the analysts know it and even RIM knows it..

Yowza - what mystic said. It's time for Rim to walk the walk. No more blaming others for being sceptical.

- R.
    05-01-12 12:50 PM
    Who's blaming anybody for anything? Please.
    05-01-12 12:56 PM
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Who cares??????

If the phone works it still wont be as good as anything else according to the blogs ect.

RIM is a red headed stepchild. I have no idea how they can reverse this, i just hope they do thru solid business practice, and great products.
    05-01-12 12:57 PM
    Too early to tell. Hoping for the best.
    05-01-12 03:13 PM
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Who cares??????

If the phone works it still wont be as good as anything else according to the blogs ect.

RIM is a red headed stepchild. I have no idea how they can reverse this, i just hope they do thru solid business practice, and great products.
    Release something that is truly better than the competition and it will get recognition. They can't release something that is even with the others they have to go above them for the blogs to recognize what bb is doing.
    05-01-12 03:40 PM
    Investers aren't wow'd because: 1, no actual consumer devices; and 2, no firm release date. They don't like ambiguity and uncertainty or anything that isn't going to increase numbers for the next quarter. Screw 'em ... that's life, bub.

I'm certainly intrigued, and that's all I care aboot.
    Maybe I'm not paying attention, but has Apple ever provided a firm release date for any of their new products? I don't believe they have. All you ever hear are rumours. So why is it OK for Apple to do this but not RIM? Why is RIM supposed to provide a firm date a stick to it, but Apple can coast along and release products anytime they want without being accused of being late, etc?
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    05-01-12 03:50 PM
    Most people on CrackBerry were certainly WOW'd by this mornings keynote, but we weren't the only ones. Sure, wall street didn't react positively, but I can't remember a single Apple event where stocks soured. Investors want to see products, not promises. That being said, developers were definitely impressed. I'm reading articles all over the place now about developers hoping on board because of how easily it is to develop for BB10. With apps comes consumers and with consumers come more apps. It's an ongoing cycle that hopefully RIM has finally found a way into.
    I haven't seen any developers talking about BB10, except those that were on-stage at BB World and are being paid by RIM. You mention seeing articles "all over the place" - can you link to them? I've been hanging out on all the usual dev sites I go to each day and you wouldn't even know BBWorld was going on...
    05-01-12 04:01 PM
    Maybe I'm not paying attention, but has Apple ever provided a firm release date for any of their new products? I don't believe they have. All you ever hear are rumours. So why is it OK for Apple to do this but not RIM? Why is RIM supposed to provide a firm date a stick to it, but Apple can coast along and release products anytime they want without being accused of being late, etc?
    Absolutely, the only time when apple didn't give a specific launch date was when the original iphone was announced in Jan. '07. Besides that, apple has always given a specific date of launch which usually happens to be about 2 weeks after the announcement.
    05-01-12 04:11 PM
    Absolutely, the only time when apple didn't give a specific launch date was when the original iphone was announced in Jan. '07. Besides that, apple has always given a specific date of launch which usually happens to be about 2 weeks after the announcement.
    OK, so I guess I should clarify that I am referring to Apple not providing the date that they make the actual announcement (the one where Jobs was always in his jeans talking about the product in front of a big crowd). At this announcement itself I agree they do provide a launch date.

This is the part that gets me. Everybody wants a RIM to announce firm dates well in advance, but Apple is never held to this standard. Right now no one has any idea when the iPhone 5 will be coming out. It could be Oct, maybe Aug. No one knows. If apple is having internal delays no one can use it against them because they haven't told anyone when they can expect the next iPhone. Yet, RIM, for employing the same strategy is now being criticized for being vague.
    05-01-12 04:22 PM
    Though the keynote today was only a few features, i'm impressed with most of them. Take in mind that there are a lot more things that they are not showing yet. So for people who are saying that "this is the best that RIM could do?", i would like to say, "No".

This is but a minor preview of what is to come. If RIM could innovate with these few features, i can imagine that they have more nice features planned for BB10. A lot of websites are simply showing the short video that Thor showed in the keynote, which was mainly about the keyboard to be honest. They did not show the entire keynote session. Personally i was impressed by it, it seems like a very different RIM indeed. Its like they found their mojo again and now has a focus. Not just BB World, but BB Jam as well. If you have been keeping track of twitter feeds and news from CB, you would know that they are doing a lot in terms of getting quality apps as well. It seems like the plan is slowly falling into place.

It also seems that the companies that they have purchased for BB10 are all starting to play their part.

Before i saw the demo for the touch keyboard, i was looking forward to the physical keyboard BB10 instead. If the touch keyboard is as good as i imagined it would be, I might be willing to sacrifice the lack of physical keys for a larger screen. Of course it still depends on how well it works in real life. But i imagine that if you were to get used to the keyboard, typing could be an enjoyable experience as well with all the keyboard gestures going on.

Overall, today's keynote not only impressed me, but it also make me believe that RIM is going in the right direction. Now, i can't wait to get my hands on the first BB10 device when it is launched.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    05-01-12 04:42 PM
    ........Before i saw the demo for the touch keyboard, i was looking forward to the physical keyboard BB10 instead. If the touch keyboard is as good as i imagined it would be, I might be willing to sacrifice the lack of physical keys for a larger screen. Of course it still depends on how well it works in real life. But i imagine that if you were to get used to the keyboard, typing could be an enjoyable experience as well with all the keyboard gestures going on.

Overall, today's keynote not only impressed me, but it also make me believe that RIM is going in the right direction. Now, i can't wait to get my hands on the first BB10 device when it is launched.
    Me too. This is the first smartphone touchscreen concept that has me wondering if I might be able to give up the old standby. I don't see how the predictive text would work with a physical keyboard, although its possible.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    05-01-12 04:54 PM
    This is the part that gets me. Everybody wants a RIM to announce firm dates well in advance, but Apple is never held to this standard. Right now no one has any idea when the iPhone 5 will be coming out. It could be Oct, maybe Aug. No one knows. If apple is having internal delays no one can use it against them because they haven't told anyone when they can expect the next iPhone. Yet, RIM, for employing the same strategy is now being criticized for being vague.
    No, it's not that people want firm dates well in advance. They actually want the products themselves, but they'll settle for dates. RIM's problem is that their current products aren't selling well, so they really have no choice but to look to their future products. Unfortunately, those products are still months away.

Put another way, investors aren't anxious about the release of the next iPhone because the current lineup sells nearly 12 million units a month. RIM, on the ther hand, just sold 11 million units in a quarter. They needed new hardware 6 months ago, not 6 months from now.
    05-01-12 04:59 PM
    Apple has the device portfolio to be mum on their future products. The media almost becomes Apples marketing department in the months preceding a product launch, debating on rumors and such almost 24/7.

Blackberry doesn't have that kind of media attention lately, hasn't had it for the past few years. The attention they've been getting is more focused around lackluster sales and aging products.

Working at a high volume AT&T store, I've had the same 5 or 6 blackberries in stock for months and months. Not 5 or 6 different models, but the same boxes. We haven't sold a Blackberry in ages. Meanwhile, I can't seem to keep the Samsung Galaxy S II or the iPhone 4S in stock. They can't send them to me fast enough to keep up with sales. It's a telling story for myself as well as many other stores in my area.
    05-01-12 05:12 PM

Well i think we saw the PERFORMANCE aspect of BB10 in just 10 minutes (i laughed when i saw the video was 10 minutes)... yes it is a PROMISE. But everything starts as an idea, promise, dream... making these things a REALITY takes time, and i think that with this short video RIM has shown us that even though many of US may be giving up on THEM THEY are not giving up on HELPING US.

They WANT to be the best phone/productivity device out there, and from what I saw in a few short minutes (lets be honest, most of the video was talking) was pretty damn amazing.

If you can tell yourself that you didnt say 'OH SNAP' at the keyboard, or 'NOT POSSIBLE' when you saw the camera app, then I CAN TELL YOU that you will never be happy with any device ever made.

We are ONE day into everything that they have been working on for MONTHS... I feel like going to sleep right now, even though im not tired, so that I can 'fast forward' through 8 hours and wake up to some more news without having to wait.
    05-01-12 11:06 PM
    I am looking forward to BB10, as I like a lot of what I am seeing, but lord I wish they'd can the "let's rock and roll this" slogan. Lame. And coming from a middle aged German, even lamer.

Worst. Slogan. Ever.
    05-01-12 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD