I see a lot of thoughts about this new Key3 but I'm doing just fine with the key2. It's as fast as I need it to be. It's loaded with more features than any other phone at least I think it is lol. It last all day. Camera gets the job done.the keyboard is the best in the world. Media consumption is awesome considering how long this battery last all day. I could keep going to be completely honest I am in no rush for a key3 even though I know it's going to be awesome lol The key2 is the best phone out right now and if my phone died today I would gladly buy another key2
    ppeters914, chain13 and ED1993le like this.
    11-04-19 08:53 PM
    Ideally , the Key3 would be aimed at users of the K1 or older devices - not K2 users. However, TCL found out that there was not enough demand to enable ongoing production. In other words, the K2 failed to attract users of the Priv/DTEK/Classic generation which led to them throwing in the towel.
    11-04-19 10:05 PM
    I see a lot of thoughts about this new Key3 but I'm doing just fine with the key2. It's as fast as I need it to be. It's loaded with more features than any other phone at least I think it is lol. It last all day. Camera gets the job done.the keyboard is the best in the world. Media consumption is awesome considering how long this battery last all day. I could keep going to be completely honest I am in no rush for a key3 even though I know it's going to be awesome lol The key2 is the best phone out right now and if my phone died today I would gladly buy another key2
    I wish I could be as content as you haha. I love my K2, but I'm definitely itching for something new. The clincher is that it won't be getting any future OS updates.
    11-05-19 01:10 PM
    It's a death spiral - if sales are down and support is scaled back, fewer people buy the next generation and further scaling back is necessary, which means even fewer buyers.

BB-branded device sales have been dropping by 50% a year since 2012,year after year, and 2019 device sales are expected to be just over 100k devices, which is 1/10th of the minimum that TCL would need to have a sustainable business. Given those numbers and the forecast, it makes no financial sense to continue, as it would only generate a bigger loss for TCL.
    11-05-19 04:16 PM
    It's a death spiral - if sales are down and support is scaled back, fewer people buy the next generation and further scaling back is necessary, which means even fewer buyers.

BB-branded device sales have been dropping by 50% a year since 2012,year after year, and 2019 device sales are expected to be just over 100k devices, which is 1/10th of the minimum that TCL would need to have a sustainable business. Given those numbers and the forecast, it makes no financial sense to continue, as it would only generate a bigger loss for TCL.
    I had no idea world wide sales were that low Troy. They are appalling low number and it is very difficult to see why they would keep going in the phone market
    11-06-19 08:56 AM
    2017 BBMo numbers, which included sales of remaining DTEKs and K1s manufacturers for other licensees, in addition to the basic Motion and K1 sales, was 660k devices.

2018 numbers included the above plus K2 and K2LE, and were 335k.

2019 is likely to be 105-110k based on sales through October.

Appallingly low indeed. And TCL loses money on every phone sold.
    Last edited by Troy Tiscareno; 11-06-19 at 10:50 PM.
    John Albert likes this.
    11-06-19 03:57 PM
    What Key3?
    11-06-19 05:16 PM
    2017 BBMo numbers, which included sales of remaining DTEKs and K1s manufacturers for other licensees waa 660k devices, in addition to the Motion and K1.

2018 numbers included the above plus K2 and K2LE, and were 335k.

2019 is likely to be 105-110k based on sales through October.

Appallingly low indeed. And TCL loses money on every phone sold.
    Troy, is there a market for a “ Big-business phone” ?

https://www.eweek.com/pc-hardware/ho...of-smartphones
    11-06-19 05:26 PM
    What Key3?
    KEY3? You mean the Red KEY2?
    11-06-19 10:26 PM
    Troy, is there a market for a “ Big-business phone” ?

https://www.eweek.com/pc-hardware/ho...of-smartphones
    Not one that doesn't use iOS or Android as the OS, no.

The market has proven that pretty spectacularly, having absolutely annihilated every other major mobile OS with massive financial losses that forced players out of the market and often out of existence. Even for a corporate phone, if you don't have the app and services ecosystem, you've got nothing, and developers have less than zero interest in supporting a third platform.

So, despite a few articles and opinions on the Internet, any such "big-business" phone is going to have to be iOS or Android, and obviously iOS is Apple-only, so... that pretty much leaves Android.

I understand that BofA's CEO still carries his BB10 device and would prefer something like it - but quite simply, even if BofA adopted some fictional new OS across the board, that wouldn't put a tiny dent into the number of annual phones that BB or anyone would need to be able to sell EVERY YEAR to have any chance of making a third OS work.

And before anyone mentions it, trying to ride Android's coattails by putting in a runtime and hoping to use Google's ecosystem is a non-starter - Google could at any moment cut off Play Store access to those devices. So far, they haven't needed to - but if something threatened them, they could cut them off very easily and would be well within their legal rights to do so. Of course, alternative app stores exist, but try selling that to banks and governments!

BB simply isn't in any position to do this beyond licensing out their flavor of Android to other OEMs - but if that was going to work, why hasn't BofA and all the other banks purchased Key-series phones, or the Motion? None of them did, and none of them are likely to. And one CEO wishing for something like BB10 doesn't make the idea feasible, even if he's the CEO of a big bank. It's easy to talk, but he had plenty of opportunity to put his money where his mouth is, and didn't when it might have made a difference. Why would any investor believe he will now? Much less all the other banks and governments and huge enterprise companies? A 50,000 device order from any big company would have been a HUGE sale, and there's 1000 companies in the US who could have easily done that if they thought it was a good idea - but not a single one did.

When people start actually writing checks, THAT's when you'll see some movement - and that isn't likely IMO.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    11-06-19 10:48 PM
    “But the interesting thing was that Moynihan, like many CEOs and government employees, still uses a BlackBerry QNX phone” .

Really?? This is just wishful thinking by the Author. Moynihan is definitely not representative of top 500 CEO’s.

Troy, your response was right on target.
    11-06-19 11:20 PM
    KEY3? You mean the Red KEY2?
    The title says Key3. I’m confused.
    11-07-19 04:49 PM
    The title says Key3. I’m confused.
    Lol I'm basically saying that the Red KEY2 is the closest we'll get to the KEY3.

That said, I'm gonna be selling mine (again) since the Red color really is just not for me.
    11-07-19 04:57 PM
    Lol I'm basically saying that the Red KEY2 is the closest we'll get to the KEY3.

That said, I'm gonna be selling mine (again) since the Red color really is just not for me.
    Heck, you buy and sell a Key device every week don’t you?
    11-07-19 04:58 PM
    Heck, you buy and sell a Key device every week don’t you?
    Until I find a Silver/Black KEY2 with a satisfactory spacebar lol.

I'm hoping to stop with this madness eventually.

This week I'm getting a Champagne LE from Swappa, and that will mean I would have owned every single color variant of BBMo's phones.

I'm currently messing around with a Classic also and considering picking up another Priv (It would be my 7th).

...okay I really have to stop lol
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-07-19 07:50 PM

This week I'm getting a Champagne LE from Swappa, and that will mean I would have owned every single color variant of BBMo's phones.

I'm currently messing around with a Classic also and considering picking up another Priv (It would be my 7th).

How the hell do you keep buying the same phone over and over? I’d be so sick of it by now.

Different strokes and all that I guess.

Why not just get an all black case for your Red KEY2? You are giving up the current Holy Grail of BB phones to go back to an LE due to colour? You colourist you!
    11-09-19 04:45 AM

LOL.. Why don't get black/silver LE instead?
    11-09-19 05:10 AM
    How the hell do you keep buying the same phone over and over? I’d be so sick of it by now.

Different strokes and all that I guess.

Why not just get an all black case for your Red KEY2? You are giving up the current Holy Grail of BB phones to go back to an LE due to colour? You colourist you!
    Well, I have come to really dislike the red color.

I had even bought a skinomi black carbon skin and used just the chin part and paired with a black case, the only Red I could see is the frets between the rows of keys.

Still, too much Red for me. The black and Silver just look way more classy in my opinion. And you can't really get tired/sick of black. So I keep telling myself that I will eventually find one that feels as it should.
    11-10-19 02:41 AM
    LOL.. Why don't get black/silver LE instead?
    There is no black/silver LE lol.

Well, all LE's have the same silver logo and camera ring on the back.

I'm using a Slate and soon a Champagne. There are still some things I much prefer on the KEY2 such as the extra 500mAh of battery and capacitive keyboard, and camera as well as a better LED light.

The KEY2 does still look and feel more premium, even though the LE feels grippier and more secure in the hand.

Decisions, decisions
    11-10-19 02:44 AM