Couldn't TCL run a kickstarter campaign to manufacture Key3? No need to worry about distributing. No wastage with over production, no money needs to be spent on advertising etc.

Just manufacture a kickass Key3 with kickass specs and delivery directly to customers that paid for it in advance.

Even big Chinese companies like Xiaomi often run such campaigns. TCL could do it too.
    10-25-19 10:05 AM
    How many would pledge $1000?
    bendiep1991 likes this.
    10-25-19 10:36 AM
    How many would pledge $1000?
    For top specs it would likely need to be closed to $1,200-1,500 to break even. As you increase the cost, the demand decreases. If they could have sold a high-end device profitably at $1,000 they would have done it already.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    10-25-19 11:00 AM
    Just like Country Time isn't interested in kid's lemonade stands, because they're a big company and can't be bothered with the distraction of a tiny side business, so is TCL with phones.

Selling a million BB phones a year or more was worthwhile, but selling a thousand or less isn't worth the effort.
    10-25-19 11:41 AM
    For top specs it would likely need to be closed to $1,200-1,500 to break even. As you increase the cost, the demand decreases. If they could have sold a high-end device profitably at $1,000 they would have done it already.

Nonsense. TCL is in business of making inexpensive electronics, they already know how to manufacture for cheap. It's not like they've to setup a new factory.

Unihertz just ran a campaign and are selling phone with physical keyboard for like $300. Cost of manufacturing + some profit is not high if you cut all the marketing/advertising and distribution costs. And Unihertz does not even have scale of TCL.

That said, I'd easily pledge $600-$700 for a Key3.

Besides, if enough people do not pledge on Kickstarter then they don't manufacture. It is a no brainer. It's not like running a campaign on kickstarter is going to cost them millions.
    the_boon likes this.
    10-25-19 03:05 PM
    Nonsense. TCL is in business of making inexpensive electronics, they already know how to manufacture for cheap. It's not like they've to setup a new factory.

Unihertz just ran a campaign and are selling phone with physical keyboard for like $300. Cost of manufacturing + some profit is not high if you cut all the marketing/advertising and distribution costs. And Unihertz does not even have scale of TCL.

That said, I'd easily pledge $600-$700 for a Key3.

Besides, if enough people do not pledge on Kickstarter then they don't manufacture. It is a no brainer. It's not like running a campaign on kickstarter is going to cost them millions.
    It all depends on volume, a company the size of TCL has no reason to answer the phone for less than $10 million in profit, after manufacturing, distribution, and overhead. That means, for a run of 100,000 phones, they would need to net $100 a phone. I doubt they could do that at $1000 for even the specs they used for the KEY2.

10-25-19 03:24 PM
    Couldn't TCL run a kickstarter campaign to manufacture Key3? No need to worry about distributing. No wastage with over production, no money needs to be spent on advertising etc.

Just manufacture a kickass Key3 with kickass specs and delivery directly to customers that paid for it in advance.

Even big Chinese companies like Xiaomi often run such campaigns. TCL could do it too.
    Just isn’t worth TCL or different OEMs time. Any campaigns are done like this it’s just a gimmick.
    10-25-19 03:42 PM
    A Kickstarter does not take into account warranty losses and ongoing expenses such as updates, etc.
    Good luck trying to get anything for the Titan once they ship it.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-25-19 03:57 PM
    Hilarious what people think these companies should do for them.
    Elky64, JeepBB and cribble2k like this.
    10-25-19 05:43 PM
    Ok, if you think so, then do the research. How many electronic devices have been brought to market because of a kickstarter campaign from an established company?

I can't think of any. There are a few tv shows that had luck though lol.
    10-25-19 07:52 PM
    why? their line of BB phones was a complete failure. they've moved on.
    10-25-19 08:25 PM
    Keep in mind that they'd have to catch up with their payments to BB Ltd - and BB might even require payment in advance to work on a new phone given TCL's reluctance to pay - and so any new phone would also have to cover that expense or it wouldn't be worth TCL's time.

Well, let's be real, it's not going to be worth TCL's time regardless.
    JeepBB and John Albert like this.
    10-25-19 11:54 PM
    The problem is not costs or the need for a higher sales price. The problem is poor demand. They would make a new Key 3 if they could sell them. They have plenty of production capacity.

TCL needs to focus on their own brand and improve their hardware now. Trying to licence and make a BlackBerry phone when BlackBerry could not make a go of it was a fool’s errand.
    10-26-19 12:46 AM
    Keep in mind that they'd have to catch up with their payments to BB Ltd - and BB might even require payment in advance to work on a new phone given TCL's reluctance to pay - and so any new phone would also have to cover that expense or it wouldn't be worth TCL's time.

I know this is considered settled knowledge by many or most here, but where is it documented and verified that TCL has not paid BlackBerry Ltd? I am not asking to be contrary. It is because I like facts. In our business there are some customers are particularly slow to pay. But that isn't usually common street knowledge unless the bills become chronically late (to the point of having to consider taking measures to collect), or the customer is going bankrupt. Was there something definitive that came out on this? I realize there is plenty of room for rumors, but are there facts to back it up?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-26-19 09:24 AM
    I know this is considered settled knowledge by many or most here, but where is it documented and verified that TCL has not paid BlackBerry Ltd? I am not asking to be contrary. It is because I like facts. In our business there are some customers are particularly slow to pay. But that isn't usually common street knowledge unless the bills become chronically late (to the point of having to consider taking measures to collect), or the customer is going bankrupt. Was there something definitive that came out on this? I realize there is plenty of room for rumors, but are there facts to back it up?
    I'm not aware of any confirmation by either of the two parties. There have been hearsay reports, and it's a scenario that fits the known facts of updates ending after 24 months, no update to Android Pie for the KEY2 and KEY2 LE phones, and no news about future devices or new replenishment of the KEY2 generation.

10-26-19 09:48 AM
    If your beloved appears to be fading grasping at straws is usually the end result.

Besides, for a company who's already "been there done that" having to resort to such a method tells me they have little confidence in their own abilities. I sure the heck wouldn't be supportive since it would do nothing to address what's been thorns in user's backsides for quite sometime with TCL/BBMo.
    10-26-19 04:29 PM
    I’d say it’s more common sense and logical conclusions. Are we 100% sure? Of course not. This is a forum to discuss opinions. BBMo has a website and they used to put up to date press releases. When companies go silent, we can only speculate about the meaning, the cause, the effect and the future.

BB used to be more vocal about staying in the business until the end. TCL is making press releases that are predictive about it’s future self-branded hardware. All BBMo/TCL has provided recently is nonsensical vague spin.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    10-26-19 04:32 PM
    The information comes from TCL insiders as reported here by several different people who have had opportunities to talk to those TCL folks and have reported what they've learned here.

None of it is official, but this isn't the type of thing that is likely to be made officially public, at least until it gets to the point of a lawsuit (which is already the case with one of the other licensees).

The ONLY information that in any way addresses all of the other facts that we know has come from these insiders, and the same stories have come from several sources, and the stories match up completely to the things that we know for sure. Obviously you can believe what you like, but we've been through this before with BB Ltd's smartphone ending, and the real information came from insiders until it was finally confirmed much later.
    10-27-19 12:02 AM
    This is crackberry. You get used to it.
    10-27-19 08:49 AM

Sadly this is reality in the business world and even with the cheap labor and manufacturing cost in China, no one is going to put out the capital required to introduce a new product if there is not money to be made.
    John Albert and app_Developer like this.
    10-27-19 01:08 PM
    I’d say it’s more common sense and logical conclusions. Are we 100% sure? Of course not. This is a forum to discuss opinions. BBMo has a website and they used to put up to date press releases. When companies go silent, we can only speculate about the meaning, the cause, the effect and the future.

BB used to be more vocal about staying in the business until the end. TCL is making press releases that are predictive about it’s future self-branded hardware. All BBMo/TCL has provided recently is nonsensical vague spin.
    Have you seen the hamburger like prototype double fold device TCL has designed? I don't see that as something that would be in my pocket. Way too thick and bulky. It is a cute, gimmicky idea, I guess. But not for me.
    10-28-19 12:53 PM
    Have you seen the hamburger like prototype double fold device TCL has designed? I don't see that as something that would be in my pocket. Way too thick and bulky. It is a cute, gimmicky idea, I guess. But not for me.
    I’ve seen a link somewhere about it, maybe here? How’re the Android fold devices from the first OEMs to offer doing so far? Sure it’s gimmick but that’s part of the brand development process via social media in today’s environment. It’s the 21st century version of free or low cost publicity.
    10-28-19 01:05 PM
    Unihertz's Titan has been a kickstarter going on several months now... and it's barely broken 3,000 backers. I'm sure there are a few waiting for the units to be shipped and some positive reviews and that might double or triple. But that's no where near what a large OEM would be interested in...

If it's found the thing has spyware installed and a buggy OS that won't display some content correctly.... 3,000 might be it.
    10-28-19 01:47 PM
    Unihertz's Titan has been a kickstarter going on several months now... and it's barely broken 3,000 backers. I'm sure there are a few waiting for the units to be shipped and some positive reviews and that might double or triple. But that's no where near what a large OEM would be interested in...

If it's found the thing has spyware installed and a buggy OS that won't display some content correctly.... 3,000 might be it.
    As someone, maybe you, said many of the remaining BB diehards consider Android spyware.
    10-28-19 02:27 PM
    I’ve seen a link somewhere about it, maybe here? How’re the Android fold devices from the first OEMs to offer doing so far? Sure it’s gimmick but that’s part of the brand development process via social media in today’s environment. It’s the 21st century version of free or low cost publicity.
    Here is the TCL prototype, or one of them.It is like 3 cell phones stacked on top of each other when closed. KEY3 - couldn't TCL run a kickstarter?-screenshot_20191028-130012.jpg
    10-28-19 03:09 PM
35 12