Since so many here say RIM will never survive now and that fans are delusional if they think they can do anything but fail, I'd like to know if you all think Kevin is also delusional or if he is just putting up a front?

So everyone in this mind set what do you think? Don't hold back now, you never have.
    07-02-12 03:58 PM
    You'll have to define "dulisional" for me before I can answer your question
    07-02-12 04:00 PM
    I don't know if RIM will survive. No way I could.

I can say that up till an hour ago, I would have said, No. Kevin is not delusional.....but that was an hour ago. About the same time I saw a picture of Kevin wearing a Gojo. So all bets are off.

Even if your team is losing and may not make it into the Playoffs, you still support them? Right? That's not a delusion, that's loyalty and being a fan. (Shrug)
    Last edited by Oniberry; 07-02-12 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added an 'a'
    07-02-12 04:02 PM
    You'll have to define "dulisional" for me before I can answer your question
    If you can't figure it out I guess you'll be left in the dark.
    Ben1232 and genericscissors2 like this.
    07-02-12 04:04 PM
    If you can't figure it out I guess you'll be left in the dark.
    If you can't be bothered to spell things properly, I can't be bothered to contribute to your troll thread anymore.
    07-02-12 04:09 PM
    He's keeping door open for all the people jumping ship. So when 10 comes out, they have a place to celebrate all things RIM.
    07-02-12 04:10 PM
    Delusional... NO

Overly Optimistic... possible (or maybe just very, very hopeful).

What Kevin posts to a commercial site that he NEEDS to be successful, and what he actual thinks, could be quite different.
    oldtimeBBaddict and kbz1960 like this.
    07-02-12 04:12 PM
    If you can't be bothered to spell things properly, I can't be bothered to contribute to your troll thread anymore.
    OK, gotcha.
    07-02-12 04:20 PM
    No, I do not think that Kevin is delusional. I do not know what is in his mind, of course but with regard to RIM, some things are clear.

This company is in deep trouble. It is losing market share at a truly alarming rate in the US. Overseas its sales look somewhat better but are made up of cheaper phones that presumably bring in less money. I could not say if a low end phone is more profitable than a high end model.

RIM has a huge store of patents and these bring it quite a lot of money. The patents themselves have a huge sales value. Quite how much money is generate or what these are worth, I do not know. I do know it's a lot.

There is also a newtorking entity wherby RIM gets a small revenue from carriers for each BIS (maybe BES too but, I'm not sure) client (that's you and me).

All this adds up to a current piggy bank of $2.2Bn - nice.

This money will be used, in part, for the BB10 launch.

RIM is thus in quite a strong financial position for now. Unless BB10 is released soon adn is somewhat of a success, this pile of money will soon be depleted.

Kevin knows all this and much more. It is his job to be opositive about BlackBerrys here on CrackBerry. He also has an important job within Mobile Nations. Kevin is right in the swinm of the US mobile industry so he has a much clearer image of where RIM really stands than almost any of us do. Is kevin worried about RIM's current position? If he likes BlackBerrys (and we know he does) Then sure, he is worried just like the rest of us.

So, do I think Kevin is delusional? I'll say the same as I did at the start of this post. No, I do not.
    kbz1960, bungaboy and El Cid like this.
    07-02-12 04:23 PM
    I don't think Kevin is delusional. We all were disappointed with the announcement of the delay. Much of that is an emotional reaction. It is like being told that you have to wait 6 months later to get your birthday present. It reminds me of the expectation of the iPhone 4S prior to it being announced. The device was released 15 months after the iPhone 4 was released, and most were expecting a larger screen. What we got was the same device with bumped up specs and Siri. Disappointing.

I do want to point out that the device was supposed to be released late 2012. That can be somewhere between October - December, so a small delay of a month or two can easily push the device to Q1 2013. This would be a reasonable event. My concern is that they will continue to be plagued with problems and the device will be further delayed. To think that RIM has no problems and that BB 10 will be the greatest phone in the world, that is delusional.
    07-02-12 04:26 PM
    Ummm, you may want to read this guy's prior posts ... he's hardly a troll.

Since so many here say RIM will never survive now and that fans are delusional if they think they can do anything but fail, I'd like to know if you all think Kevin is also delusional or if he is just putting up a front?

So everyone in this mind set what do you think? Don't hold back now, you never have.
    You know what you're going to get from this, right? Those of us who are still holding out hope will jump to Kevin's defense, and those who have maintained that we have all been delusional now feel empowered to do so even more vehemently. Except now they are are growing in numbers. That's the way I see this going.

Maybe we are all delusional, or maybe it's more as if Oniberry says, and we're just supporting the home team. I think for those of us who remain now, it's not so much a matter of steadfastly believing they will succeed as much as as still simply wanting them to succeed. I think there's a growing contingent out there that wants RIM to just sell off and be done with it, as they are mostly the ones who really don't care about the brand one way or the other. For the rest of us who just want our BlackBerry's and nothing else, well, what choice to we have than to keep hoping against hope.

I've been through this all before with Palm. Difference there was I didn't follow the company that closely and was really blindsided when I learned what dismal shape it was in. Of course by that time they had put their eggs in the WinMo basket, which had already set that ship sailing for me. If the worst comes to pass, I won't be happy about it, but I'm pretty sure I'll survive. There are far worse things that could happen in life than the discontinuation of my favorite cell phone. Kevin becoming a phandroid, for instance, comes to mind.

Edit: You do of course realize if this thread had been created by anyone else, I'd probably be cursing you from here to next week.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 07-02-12 at 04:39 PM.
    oldtimeBBaddict and bungaboy like this.
    07-02-12 04:29 PM
    kbz1960.....the TROLL , YES he's off his effin rocker . (only kidding). This is funny
    07-02-12 04:33 PM
    I was hoping to hear from the ones who hang out here in mobile nations and crackberry that are saying there is no hope or chance.

I do understand fearless leader is the biggest bb fan ever and probably has his doubts also and knows that it is going to be a very hard job. But I still think he has some faith.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-02-12 04:39 PM
    Alot of people on this site are delusional...
    kbz1960 and Yaceka like this.
    07-02-12 04:52 PM
    It's delusional to believe the OS7 browser isn't good or that App World sucks

There is evidence BB10 will make it and all it needs is a little more time. All it takes is a little bit of optimism...
    Last edited by anthogag; 07-02-12 at 06:29 PM.
    07-02-12 04:53 PM
    if having hope for RIM is dulisional then count me in with kevin...lol
    07-02-12 04:54 PM
    Everyone is delusional is some way.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-02-12 04:58 PM
    Everyone is delusional is some way.
    I think I was delusional when I hit post.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-02-12 05:04 PM
    Until fairly recently, my biggest gripe with Kevin is that he was presenting a candy and lollipops spin on RIMM's situation. I think that has now changed. He's still putting forth the most optimistic view, but there is also a healthy dose of realism in his posts. IMO, delusional is about the furthest thing that would describe him.
    I believe, rather, that he is doing what he needs to do as founder of CB to maintain views and readership.
    07-02-12 05:09 PM
    Wow...I can't believe I'm going to do this....but here it goes.

I do not believe Kevin is delusional. I believe he loves the brand and WANTS it to get out of this hole. Just like the majority of us who want BB to be there in 2013 and beyond.

But that's emotional.

I was optimistic until the delay was announced. My impression has changed. I won't go into it again. I've had dear friends tell me that I sound trolling lately, so I'll simply say that RIM has quite the climb, made worse by delaying BB10 to 2013. It signals problems with execution.

I have NEVER EVER EVER wanted to be more wrong about my impression.
    07-02-12 05:09 PM
    Overly optimistic, perhaps. It doesn't take a genius (or troll or overly exuberant BB user) to know that RIM is in real trouble.

Mislead by people he thought were telling him the truth, yes.

Heavily emotionally invested in the RIM ecosystem (heh heh), certainly.

Delusional. No. The blog on the home page earlier today was well thought through and written.
    bungaboy and kbz1960 like this.
    07-02-12 05:10 PM
    Until fairly recently, my biggest gripe with Kevin is that he was presenting a candy and lollipops spin on RIMM's situation. I think that has now changed. He's still putting forth the most optimistic view, but there is also a healthy dose of realism in his posts. IMO, delusional is about the furthest thing that would describe him.
    I believe, rather, that he is doing what he needs to do as founder of CB to maintain views and readership.
    I agree. I read some of that in his article on the main page.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    07-02-12 05:16 PM
    Kevin has a business called CrackBerry, always remember that.
    Yaceka and the_sleuth like this.
    07-02-12 05:19 PM
    ^^^ and just like any other media outlets, it's either doom or hope article. Kevin has to keep hope alive.
    07-02-12 05:25 PM
    like many others have said, its being optimistic. Currently, I'm very happy with my 9930. I tried to use a galaxy s2 but it just couldnt do it for me. Hearing the news about the delay was heart breaking... not just because i wanted a bb10 phone now, but because i support rim more than any company. But i like to think back before Microsoft reinvented the Windows phone. They had windows mobile and the samsung blackjack 2. Then, they disappeared for a while, and that was to make a phone/os that meets customers wants and needs. Thats how i see RIM now. it sucks right now but thats not seeing the big picture. I want them to release something awesome, not another Storm incident, so do it right the first time.
    07-02-12 05:27 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD