I don't understand the problems here.

I understand that there are drawbacks to the BlackBerry, I understand there are good sides to it. I understand Android and iPhone have non-truncated email, but I also know the iPhone lacks a physical keypad built-in to the smartphone.

But, what I would love to know is, why everyone feels the need to throw personal insults. For example, the iSheep reference... For example: my parents have iPhones, but my mum OPENLY ADMITS that if she had got a BlackBerry instead she probably would love that over the iPhone.

So, I think we need to keep ringing this message out. Keep personal attacks away. I'm not averse to slamming RIM, or Google, or Apple, or praising them. However, to keep the personal attacks away, I think we should only praise or slam them for something they did genuinely right or wrong. An example of a wrong thing (which everyone would say was wrong), was for example Company X releasing a product with 3 minutes battery life. We can safely say if that happened it would be widely regarded as a FAIL.

I think where it's subjective, such as 7" vs 10", we should also accept that it works for some but not others. So by all means say "I prefer 10" as I get more space to use my fingers" or some other example, but allow others to say "Fair enough, but I prefer 7" because it feels more portable for me". Everyone has their own uses for a tablet, smartphone, or otherwise. Everyone has preferences, and we should respect them.

It's sad to see, since I started posting here, that CrackBerry seems to have a lot of personal attacks. It really is saddening.
    05-06-11 06:12 PM
    If you're going to bash something, bash the platform/device, not the users.

The hate isn't necessary.
    05-06-11 06:20 PM
    If you're going to bash something, bash the platform/device, not the users.

The hate isn't necessary.
    Well I was angling for don't bash either... As unfair device bashing (let's face it, it really happens a lot here) is what leads into the personal attacks. If there was a way to curb the unfair bashing, then we'd cut out a lot of the personal attacks, if you ask me. By all means if the device really was horrible, slam it all the way to the inner core and back. But when it was a good device, don't unfairly bash it. Almost all phones have their good points and bad points (heck, even the Nokia 3310 still functions as a ROCK SOLID phone, I've only ever heard of one being killed, and that was by gunfire)
    05-06-11 06:24 PM
    looks like the mod's are working on it...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/clea...-trash-609572/
    05-06-11 06:29 PM
    looks like the mod's are working on it...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/clea...-trash-609572/
    Yeah, I've seen that. Would love to shake Kevin's hand for that! Really well done to him! He is an absolutely awesome guy, and is really laid-back. No disrespect to him, but I think he's a little too laid-back here. It's a shame we can't see big year-long or more bans being distributed (I know I once got banned for 50 years from a forum, no word of a lie, because the clan couldn't handle my way of working with video and my approach to things!)
    05-06-11 06:43 PM
    Yeah, I've seen that. Would love to shake Kevin's hand for that! Really well done to him! He is an absolutely awesome guy, and is really laid-back. No disrespect to him, but I think he's a little too laid-back here. It's a shame we can't see big year-long or more bans being distributed (I know I once got banned for 50 years from a forum, no word of a lie, because the clan couldn't handle my way of working with video and my approach to things!)
    50 years? Wow... I could be dead by then. And if not I surely would have forgotten about it... They should of just made it for life... It's like serving 2 consecutive life sentances...lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 06:51 PM
    Instead of everyone filling the forums with messages to the "trolls". People should start reporting posts and threads more often, you will be amazed at how quickly mods delete/modify offensive posts or threads.
    diegonei likes this.
    05-06-11 06:53 PM
    Instead of everyone filling the forums with messages to the "trolls". People should start reporting threads and posts more often, you will be amazed at how quickly mods delete/modify offensive posts or threads.
    I do give that message to people as well. The thread that made me write this one had already been closed however before I got to it (and one of the posters in the thread banned). But I still think we needed to drill the message home. No offence to you mind.
    05-06-11 06:55 PM
    I do give that message to people as well. The thread that made me write this one had already been closed however before I got to it (and one of the posters in the thread banned). But I still think we needed to drill the message home. No offence to you mind.
    Real trolls wont change their mind and will keep coming and coming and coming. Some troll for fun, others, out of hate and disappointment. The latter is nearly impossible to stop.
    05-06-11 06:58 PM
    I agree with both ideas. Spreading the word would hopefully result in less trolling, and quick reporting and action from mods would take care of anyone who still doesn't get it...

05-06-11 06:59 PM
    Real trolls wont change their mind and will keep coming and coming and coming. Some troll for fun, others, out of hate and disappointment. The latter is nearly impossible to stop.
    Should we start leaving leaving a stylish impression by smashing a 9670 over their heads? (pun intended)

But in all fairness, that is true. The nasties trolls can only be stopped by death (I've dealt with them myself and they are a flipping nightmare as a mod! My response was usually banned in about 8 different ways!)
    05-06-11 07:01 PM
    Yep hit up the report post button and the crew will take a look and what action will be taken.

Remember don't get pulled into it yourself ans it can be bad for both sides rather then only one.

I think of the ignore list as a band-aid. That has to stop. If people are not following the simple rules and guidelines of the forums, then they have no reason to stay.

Remember posting on the forums is a privilege.
    diegonei and MrObvious like this.
    05-06-11 07:20 PM
    Well I was angling for don't bash either... As unfair device bashing (let's face it, it really happens a lot here) is what leads into the personal attacks. If there was a way to curb the unfair bashing, then we'd cut out a lot of the personal attacks, if you ask me. By all means if the device really was horrible, slam it all the way to the inner core and back. But when it was a good device, don't unfairly bash it. Almost all phones have their good points and bad points (heck, even the Nokia 3310 still functions as a ROCK SOLID phone, I've only ever heard of one being killed, and that was by gunfire)
    Honestly, it's not even unfair device bashing that leads to personal attacks (it does, but not all the time). The majority of the time, if the word "Apple" is mentioned in a thread, someone will throw out the "Apple users are sheep", "Apple users are followers", "Apple products are for..." type comments. RIM bashers will start off by bashing the platform/company, and then a BB user will respond, and then the RIM basher will retaliate with an improper and disrespectful use of the word "ignorant".

Then there are the times when people aren't bashing anything, and just criticizing (negative criticism doesn't always include bashing) a product. The angry users of said platform or device will come in, defend the product that does not have feelings, and put too much of their feelings into it which then takes things overboard.

Then there are the arguments where people have absolutely nothing to counter argue, and just start defending their device even with its lack of certain features the thread may be talking about. They then try to completely change the subject, someone then calls them out and it turns into a show.

Believe it or not, all of this started with the introduction of the Storm forums. This is when massive amount of hate and flaming started. Waaaay before Android was relevant, before many users left for the iPhone and before the trolls came along. When the Storm forums came out, we had BB users bashing BB users. Instead of Android vs. iOS vs BBOS arguments, we had heated carrier wars.

Unfortunately, bashing and making fun of other people is part of human nature. Some people just have the ability to control themselves. The trolls and other people who are causing problems do not.
    05-06-11 07:52 PM
    Honestly, it's not even unfair device bashing that leads to personal attacks (it does, but not all the time). The majority of the time, if the word "Apple" is mentioned in a thread, someone will throw out the "Apple users are sheep", "Apple users are followers", "Apple products are for..." type comments. RIM bashers will start off by bashing the platform/company, and then a BB user will respond, and then the RIM basher will retaliate with an improper and disrespectful use of the word "ignorant".

Then there are the times when people aren't bashing anything, and just criticizing (negative criticism doesn't always include bashing) a product. The angry users of said platform or device will come in, defend the product that does not have feelings, and put too much of their feelings into it which then takes things overboard.

Then there are the arguments where people have absolutely nothing to counter argue, and just start defending their device even with its lack of certain features the thread may be talking about. They then try to completely change the subject, someone then calls them out and it turns into a show.

Believe it or not, all of this started with the introduction of the Storm forums. This is when massive amount of hate and flaming started. Waaaay before Android was relevant, before many users left for the iPhone and before the trolls came along. When the Storm forums came out, we had BB users bashing BB users. Instead of Android vs. iOS vs BBOS arguments, we had heated carrier wars.

Unfortunately, bashing and making fun of other people is part of human nature. Some people just have the ability to control themselves. The trolls and other people who are causing problems do not.
    This is a very good post!

*sidebar* I think you can't really set a guideline when it comes to "unfair" device bashing. How would you determine which opinion is "fair." If the personal attacked are kept at a minimum everything else should fall into place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-06-11 08:15 PM
    I just hope it applies to both sides. I get tired of hearing the Apple bashing and name calling too. We should be able to have a spirited discussion about the pros and cons of platforms etc., but when the "iPhoney" and "RIM ****" comments start flying, it makes it feel like we're in a kindergarten class.
    05-07-11 07:00 AM
    I just hope it applies to both sides. I get tired of hearing the Apple bashing and name calling too. We should be able to have a spirited discussion about the pros and cons of platforms etc., but when the "iPhoney" and "RIM ****" comments start flying, it makes it feel like we're in a kindergarten class.
    If I had my way, a good deal of BlackBerry users (yes, BlackBerry users) would have been permabanned, and reported to their ISP by now... In my experience, it's the BlackBerry users that are worst for it. And using the excuse of "It's a BlackBerry forum" (yes, guilty of it myself), also shouldn't fly as an excuse.

Yes, it is a BlackBerry forum, but that does not give you the right to call someone an iSheep on here for using an iPhone. To those that do, I dare them to go into TiPB and call them all their iSheep, you'll soon see just how laid back CrackBerry is in comparison. It's good that CrackBerry is laid back, but there are certain things that just really drive me barbaric. Bullying (which is what the personal attacks technically are) is my main one. There are plenty of people in my local area I want to stick a sword through for being bullies.
    05-07-11 09:56 AM
    Its the reason I do not post here more often or even read certain threads, just to disagree with certain people brings an awful reaction sometimes.

I was actually told on here one day to sharpen my Bold and stab myself in the neck with it...passion is one thing but threats, blindness and an out and out lack of courtesy is another. It has no place in life period not just here.
    05-07-11 10:13 AM
    I'm glad Kevin wants to crack down on it. I think if we get more proactive about reporting them, slowly CB will improve.
    05-07-11 01:11 PM
    Well, I think the mods need to stop all the RIM hate posts. On another message board that I visit, those kind of negative comments are called "baiting" and are not allowed because they cause name-calling and fighting! So end both the the RIM and Apple hate. Then there will be less to fight about.

05-07-11 03:14 PM
    If you hate RIM and Blackberry I really don't see the point of coming here anyway. If it's because you're a former BB addict and have changed device, why slag everybody else off because they still prefer a Blackberry? What now fits you better still might not appeal to others.

I think most BB users have copped a bit over the years so once somebody starts attacking our device of choice we can't help but leap to defend it. I would love all the posts that can be seen to blatantly be baiting anyone be removed swiftly as possible and repeat offenders banned.
    05-07-11 04:23 PM
    One thing that might help a little is for people to look at what section of the forum the thread was started in. I know I have been guilty myself as most of the time when I come here I click on the the forums link then the todays posts link which shows all threads for all subforums. That still doesn't excuse some of the post that I have made.

An x bb user posting in the android section here for their new phone and talking about how much they love it and like it sooo much more than their bb is different then the same thread made in the subforum for the now x bb that they use to own.
    05-07-11 04:45 PM
    Very good posts folks. We in the modfia are doing all we can to stifle hate speech. It's a lot to do, when you have to read through a thread of 30 some odd posts, and delete about half of them, half of those for quoting/reacting to some statement from an . I can't emphasize enough the power of the report button. You aren't guaranteed the result you want. Ya'll have recognized it's all subject to interpretation, but most likely if it walks and talks like a duck, we know it. The pendulum does swing all ways too. No personal attack is acceptable on CrackBerry.

Keep striving to set the right example.
    05-07-11 09:49 PM
    Thank you.
    05-08-11 08:08 AM
    Its just an internet forum. If people want to call people names over what phone or OS they use then what's the big deal? Just shrug it off and move on.
    05-08-11 08:16 PM
    Its just an internet forum. If people want to call people names over what phone or OS they use then what's the big deal? Just shrug it off and move on.
    I'm sorry, call me old fashioned, but I expect people to have the same behavior, whether hiding behind a PC, or face to face. That's the atmosphere we expect around here, and I'm happy to help enforce it. If you wouldn't say it in front of your mother, then don't say it.

I really don't get this "it's just an internet forum" crap. This is a medium for communication, not some distinctly different spectrum of reality.
    05-08-11 08:26 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD