1. Most people with a Vibrant won't trade it for a Torch. Not only does the Torch not get 3G on T-Mobile's network (and vice versa), it's simply inferior hardware and software. It will be hard to make that trade. Probably the biggest problem you'll have is the carrier incompatibility.
    From what I've seen on Craigslist, the CB Forums Marketplace and other forums, there is a considerable amount of people who will trade their Vibrant for a Torch.

How are the carriers incompatible? (I'm assuming you mean in a way other than the 3G bands)

2. There are better phones than the Vibrant, and when you go to Android you have to deal with the fragmentation issues and Samsung's completely crap software support for their phones. Vibrants have GPS issues, rather poor battery life, and you'll be spending half your time at XDA ROM hopping to fix whatever issues are fixable.
    He has a liking for the Vibrant.

I'm sure he knows how to go to the T-Mobile website or store and check what they have to offer.

Software support? He's got all the support he needs right here in the CB Forums (or their/our sister site Android Central and countless other Android forums).

... If you sell a BB, sell the 9700. The Torch is an obviosly better device, and the slider is pretty solid on it. It is built better than a Palm Pre... If the 9700 is a T-Mobile phone on the T-Mobile network, though, then it's a harder choice. Because the Torch won't get 3G and the 9700 will. At that point I'd probably sell the Torch anyways...
    You obviously didn't read the entire 2 page thread (oh, the agony). He's not sold on the Torch. And besides, didn't you say something about incompatible 3G bands? This entire section is contradictory - sell the 9700, keep the Torch, Torch won't get 3G but the 9700 will, at that point I would've sold the Torch anyways? Are you inebriated?
    12-30-10 11:34 PM
    1. Most people with a Vibrant won't trade it for a Torch. Not only does the Torch not get 3G on T-Mobile's network (and vice versa), it's simply inferior hardware and software. It will be hard to make that trade. Probably the biggest problem you'll have is the carrier incompatibility.

2. There are better phones than the Vibrant, and when you go to Android you have to deal with the fragmentation issues and Samsung's completely crap software support for their phones. Vibrants have GPS issues, rather poor battery life, and you'll be spending half your time at XDA ROM hopping to fix whatever issues are fixable.

3. Save your Upgrade. CES is soon and you should wait and see what kind of phones will be coming out soon before blowing it on a device that will be usurped by something better that costs the same then as what you're going to pay for whatever phone you get now.

If you sell a BB, sell the 9700. The Torch is an obviosly better device, and the slider is pretty solid on it. It is built better than a Palm Pre... If the 9700 is a T-Mobile phone on the T-Mobile network, though, then it's a harder choice. Because the Torch won't get 3G and the 9700 will. At that point I'd probably sell the Torch anyways...

It's hard to keep a Vibrant as you daily driver and use a BB as your backup. They use two totally different data plans. I don't know how T-Mobile does it, but carrier systems have a way of transparently altering your package when you put your SIM in a phone that requires another plan type, and that can sometimes extend you contract as well.
    Ok thanks for the intel. I know the Android OS is buggy as heck. I just liked the screen size and viewing pleasure. And yeah I'm aware you can't use this Torch can't utilize the 3G radio on T-Mobile. I'm thinking about just putting a cash price on it. I just don't know what a fair price would be. My torch isn't brand new. It's got dings on the top two corners from the previous owner.

My 9700 is a T-Mobile BB so the 3G works fine. And tmobile allows us to swap plans either online or calling customer care. I did lose my cheaper $35 bb data and text plan when I swapped to the Vibrant back in November. It's now $10 more.
    12-30-10 11:37 PM
    Well I'm thinking of reconsidering parting ways with my Torch. I posted it on CL here in Missouri and a few hits I've received have kind of swayed me. One wanted to trade a Samsung Mythic plus cash. Another her Mytouch 4g and I add $100. And iPod touch plus cash. And this morning a guy said his unlocked iPhone 3G or his 3GS 16gb and I add $200. Wow! After I said that's too steep for a used 3GS he went on to say the Torch isn't worth a straight trade for his iPhone. He said it's only worth a trade for a 3G. Really? Did I miss something here?
    12-31-10 10:35 AM
    Samsung Mythic + cash = I honestly don't think this is a good device to have, regardless of the trade. I consider this a major downgrade. But the addition of $150 should suffice.

myTouch 4G and I add $100 = Without knowing in great detail the condition of either devices, this seems reasonable.

iPod Touch + cash = Need more info; storage capacity, condition, generation.

iPhone 3G (or 3GS 16GB and I add $200) = Terrible deal (for you). This guy is either trying to take advantage of you or doesn't know what he's doing. Most likely the former, but probably both. You can get at least $200 for the Torch and just buy a 3GS for $200, that's what I did for a 9/10 16GB white one 2 months ago. I honestly wouldn't recommend the iPhone 3G. The new software 4.0+ does not run well on it and the upgraded camera and processor are much nicer.
    12-31-10 11:29 AM
    Samsung Mythic + cash = I honestly don't think this is a good device to have, regardless of the trade. I consider this a major downgrade. But the addition of $150 should suffice.

myTouch 4G and I add $100 = Without knowing in great detail the condition of either devices, this seems reasonable.

iPod Touch + cash = Need more info; storage capacity, condition, generation.

iPhone 3G (or 3GS 16GB and I add $200) = Terrible deal (for you). This guy is either trying to take advantage of you or doesn't know what he's doing. Most likely the former, but probably both. You can get at least $200 for the Torch and just buy a 3GS for $200, that's what I did for a 9/10 16GB white one 2 months ago. I honestly wouldn't recommend the iPhone 3G. The new software 4.0+ does not run well on it and the upgraded camera and processor are much nicer.
    It's just funny to read some of the emails I get from potential buyers. I mean I know the economy is in flux but come on. I'm not stupid. Nor am I greedy. I know things depreciate and new devices come out every few months. The one iPhone guy keeps trying to say I'm not being reasonable. I think I need to just block him because I'm trying to be mature with him. Still the Vibrant eludes me! People either aren't looking to trade for a Torch or they are asking some serious prices for their used ones.
    12-31-10 11:38 AM
    It's just funny to read some of the emails I get from potential buyers. I mean I know the economy is in flux but come on. I'm not stupid. Nor am I greedy. I know things depreciate and new devices come out every few months. The one iPhone guy keeps trying to say I'm not being reasonable. I think I need to just block him because I'm trying to be mature with him. Still the Vibrant eludes me! People either aren't looking to trade for a Torch or they are asking some serious prices for their used ones.
    Do you have it listed as for sale and/or just for trade? Have you tried listing it here in the CB Forums Marketplace?
    12-31-10 11:57 AM
    I have it listed for trade and sale for $250. It's used and the previous owner nicked up the top corners. He also gave me an aftermarket charger and not the OEM so I figure $250 is good. I haven't put it on here because I'd rather deal local. Just a preference. The more I tinker with it the more I'm starting to like it. Still want a bigger screen though. Can't have it all!
    12-31-10 12:07 PM
    damn $250 for a torch and no one is jumping on that? that is a shocker. I would think you should be able to get 300-400 for it but i didnt check ebay
    12-31-10 12:34 PM
    damn $250 for a torch and no one is jumping on that? that is a shocker. I would think you should be able to get 300-400 for it but i didnt check ebay
    I think it's regional. St. Louis people are for the most part either Sprint people or iPhone fanatics. Surprisingly lots of my players that I coach have blackberries. My girls bball team have older Curves and Storms. I have to yell at them to stop texting in the team meetings.

Got another email from a lady saying she could give me $190. She said my Torch is used and not mint.
    12-31-10 01:44 PM
    that is low ball....the mytouch deal seems good though in all honesty
    12-31-10 02:06 PM
    A Torch and $100 for a Mytouch? I don't know about that one. I saw one in the store and the screen wasn't as good looking as the Vibrant. Yeah it's got the front facing camera but I don't need that. No kids yet. Yeah it's better than the Torch screen for sure but I don't think it's worth my phone and another $100. Not desperate. Still a BB man! Lol
    12-31-10 02:16 PM
    The MyTouch is worth that trade.

And the only thing better on the Vibrant is the storage size, codec support. Screen is arguable. The Pentile Matrix on SAmoled screens is notoriously bad and the screens are obviously oversaturated. It's a matter of personal taste.

Outside of that, the myTouch 4G is a better device.

I say just keep the Torch. I don't think you REALLY want to get rid of it, anyways.

The myTouch deal is a bit of a steal, IMO. That phone is very future proof. The Torch is not. It's simply a better investment at this point in time.

Here's to hoping RIM shows us a consumer formfactor at CES similar to Android/iOS/WM7 devices. Something like the Dell Venue Pro, I would instantly buy - provided the OS was updated and made more touch-friendly (and with better performance and a faster processor).
    12-31-10 04:38 PM
    The MyTouch is worth that trade.

And the only thing better on the Vibrant is the storage size, codec support. Screen is arguable. The Pentile Matrix on SAmoled screens is notoriously bad and the screens are obviously oversaturated. It's a matter of personal taste.

Outside of that, the myTouch 4G is a better device.

I say just keep the Torch. I don't think you REALLY want to get rid of it, anyways.

The myTouch deal is a bit of a steal, IMO. That phone is very future proof. The Torch is not. It's simply a better investment at this point in time.

Here's to hoping RIM shows us a consumer formfactor at CES similar to Android/iOS/WM7 devices. Something like the Dell Venue Pro, I would instantly buy - provided the OS was updated and made more touch-friendly (and with better performance and a faster processor).
    Well you may be right on a few points. The more I play with this Torch the more I kind of like it. Only when I get back to work and have the plan periods that I will be able to tell for sure. The slider thing still worries me but the keyboard is fast like my Bold 9700.

The only downside to that Mytouch is the extra $100 she wants. My is two weeks away and I want to treat myself so I'm kinda saving. Not to mention who would I video chat with that front facing camera? My gf is on an iPhone 3GS. My buddies are on everything but a Mytouch. And I will be 37 soon
    12-31-10 04:57 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I'm messing around with the Torch now. Not to sure I'm to sold on the slider aspect. I can see it getting loose in a month or so. I've honestly never been a fan of phones with moving parts. Tend to get loose. And I tend to keep a backup phone just in case. Learned the hard way when a student stole my phone off my desk.
    Some kids have no respect! I hope you were able to show him the justice system, if not your own justice system.
    01-01-11 05:13 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD