So I traded my old iPhone 3G plus cash for a used Torch. Wasn't using my iPhone really. I also have an older 9700. I'm debating on keeping the Torch or trading it ASAP for an android phone. I played with a Samsung Vibrant and liked the screen and camera despite no flash. Email isn't important for me. I'm a teacher and don't have to respond immediately. I do text TONS! Easily 3,000 per month! I like watching YouTube during my lunch and plan times at school.

Now, I am due an upgrade thru T-Mobile but something tells me to save it. I'm sure I could post this Torch on craigslist and get a trade. Part of me says give the Torch a chance. I mean I'm a "professional" PE teacher. Lol. Needs to act the part .
    12-30-10 07:17 PM
    Keep the torch,it will light the way for you!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 07:20 PM
    Yeah, I say wait to use that upgrade and try to use the Torch. If you find that you don't like it, you can just trade for a Galaxy S. CES is just a few days away.
    12-30-10 07:22 PM
    I've had my hands on a Torch for about 5minutes and it seems like a very nice device. I'd say, keep it and see whatcha think before you go burnin your upgrade! (no pun intended)
    12-30-10 07:29 PM
    I don't see what you would need both BBs for. You should probably sell one of them and save the money.

12-30-10 07:34 PM
    I don't see what you would need both BBs for. You should probably sell one of them and save the money.

Back-up device. Many users (of every platform) have them.
    12-30-10 07:36 PM
    trade it outright for an android phone and save the upgrade.....you have a 9700 which is a great BB really. no need to 2 BBs but its always fun to have another device to try and see if you want
    12-30-10 07:36 PM
    Keep the 9700 and trade the Torch for a Galaxy Tab or wait for the Playbook.

12-30-10 07:43 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I'm messing around with the Torch now. Not to sure I'm to sold on the slider aspect. I can see it getting loose in a month or so. I've honestly never been a fan of phones with moving parts. Tend to get loose. And I tend to keep a backup phone just in case. Learned the hard way when a student stole my phone off my desk.
    12-30-10 07:49 PM
    I tend to keep a backup phone just in case. Learned the hard way when a student stole my phone off my desk.
    A student lifted a phone right off of your desk! Wow! I hope you caught the little sucker!
    12-30-10 07:57 PM
    I'd say keep the 9700 and trade sell the 9800 for no other reason than it will
    go for more being the newer of the two.

Now, if I were in this actual situation I'd do the reverse (actually I did) because
    I like the bigger screen and essentially having two devices in one package.

There, you should be sufficiently confused now
    12-30-10 08:11 PM
    For us GSM users it makes a lot of sense. If upgrading the OS or trying to
    fix a pooched phone, all we have to do is swap out the SIM and barely miss
    a beat.
    12-30-10 08:13 PM
    A student lifted a phone right off of your desk! Wow! I hope you caught the little sucker!
    I've had my wallet taken out of my coat! I used to be too trusting with letting kids go into my office for tissue or to use the phone. Not anymore! Never got my phone back btw. I figured out who took it just never had hard evidence or witnesses.
    12-30-10 08:15 PM
    I've had my wallet taken out of my coat! I used to be too trusting with letting kids go into my office for tissue or to use the phone. Not anymore! Never got my phone back btw. I figured out who took it just never had hard evidence or witnesses.
    thats just insane, and kids are soooo brazen these days too! that sucks that you never got your phone back either. everywhere you go these days, you have to keep your guard up 100% and then some!
    12-30-10 08:19 PM
    Beyond reasonable doubt. That's a tough one. I remember my old high school history teacher got his MacBook stolen off his desk just after school. We all narrowed our speculations to roughly the same few, but no proof. Funny thing is, our school had MacBooks for students to use. I wonder why they didn't take one of those. He even offered a no punishment reward due to the fact that it had so much information and files he needed, not to mention the personal photos.
    12-30-10 08:23 PM
    Yeah thankfully I didn't have any personal pics on that phone! I don't do the Brett Favre thing!
    12-30-10 08:33 PM
    Yeah thankfully I didn't have any personal pics on that phone! I don't do the Brett Favre thing!
    LMAO! I am a JETS fan, but i was never really a fan of Farve!
    12-30-10 08:35 PM
    Well I'm from Wisconsin (where Green Bay is located) and that's all I have to say.
    12-30-10 08:37 PM
    Now, I am due an upgrade thru T-Mobile but something tells me to save it. I'm sure I could post this Torch on craigslist and get a trade. Part of me says give the Torch a chance. I mean I'm a "professional" PE teacher. Lol. Needs to act the part .
    If I were in your shoes I'd sell both the Torch & Bold 9700 and use your upgrade for a myTouch 4G, Nexus S or even a G2 if you have to have a physical keyboard.
    12-30-10 08:46 PM
    If I were in your shoes I'd sell both the Torch & Bold 9700 and use your upgrade for a myTouch 4G, Nexus S or even a G2 if you have to have a physical keyboard.
    I think he could find someone with a myTouch 4G, any top of the line Galaxy S phone, G2, or possibly an iPhone 4 that would be willing to trade for just the Torch.
    12-30-10 08:51 PM
    I just posted it on CL. We shall see who bites. No major rush. I may like it within a few days. Right now I'm not liking the wobbly slider. The keyboard isn't bad. Smallish.
    12-30-10 09:01 PM
    Well got two hits already. One for an old iPod touch and cash and another for a Mytouch 4g and I add $100. No thanks.
    12-30-10 09:27 PM
    Before you do that I have an old 8330 and $50.

I'm sure you will get a pretty good offer by the end of the week. I'm curious to hear what you end up doing.
    12-30-10 09:37 PM
    Before you do that I have an old 8330 and $50.

I'm sure you will get a pretty good offer by the end of the week. I'm curious to hear what you end up doing.
    Lol. Well I hope so. I'd like a Vibrant and just keep my Bold 9700 as a backup.
    12-30-10 09:57 PM
    So I traded my old iPhone 3G plus cash for a used Torch. Wasn't using my iPhone really. I also have an older 9700. I'm debating on keeping the Torch or trading it ASAP for an android phone. I played with a Samsung Vibrant and liked the screen and camera despite no flash. Email isn't important for me. I'm a teacher and don't have to respond immediately. I do text TONS! Easily 3,000 per month! I like watching YouTube during my lunch and plan times at school.

1. Most people with a Vibrant won't trade it for a Torch. Not only does the Torch not get 3G on T-Mobile's network (and vice versa), it's simply inferior hardware and software. It will be hard to make that trade. Probably the biggest problem you'll have is the carrier incompatibility.

2. There are better phones than the Vibrant, and when you go to Android you have to deal with the fragmentation issues and Samsung's completely crap software support for their phones. Vibrants have GPS issues, rather poor battery life, and you'll be spending half your time at XDA ROM hopping to fix whatever issues are fixable.

3. Save your Upgrade. CES is soon and you should wait and see what kind of phones will be coming out soon before blowing it on a device that will be usurped by something better that costs the same then as what you're going to pay for whatever phone you get now.

If you sell a BB, sell the 9700. The Torch is an obviosly better device, and the slider is pretty solid on it. It is built better than a Palm Pre... If the 9700 is a T-Mobile phone on the T-Mobile network, though, then it's a harder choice. Because the Torch won't get 3G and the 9700 will. At that point I'd probably sell the Torch anyways...

It's hard to keep a Vibrant as you daily driver and use a BB as your backup. They use two totally different data plans. I don't know how T-Mobile does it, but carrier systems have a way of transparently altering your package when you put your SIM in a phone that requires another plan type, and that can sometimes extend you contract as well.
    Last edited by N8ter; 12-30-10 at 10:56 PM.
    12-30-10 10:50 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD