i never thought about it and it might be a stupid quition why doesent the bb storm 9530 have wifi on it just wondering why
    07-02-10 06:26 AM
    Just somehing they hadnt start putting in there phones yet. Im sure the storm3 will have wifi.
    07-02-10 06:29 AM
    Just somehing they hadnt start putting in there phones yet. Im sure the storm3 will have wifi.
    Storm 2 9520 / 9550 has wifi...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 06:54 AM
    When the original Storm was launched, VZW had no BlackBerries that were WiFi enabled... Word around the forum was that VZW asked that none of their BB's were to have WiFi, that's why the 9530, 9630, and the 8330 didn't come with WiFi.

VZW has since changed their tune, and almost all of their BB's are WiFi enabled now...
    07-02-10 07:36 AM
    When the original Storm was launched, VZW had no BlackBerries that were WiFi enabled... Word around the forum was that VZW asked that none of their BB's were to have WiFi, that's why the 9530, 9630, and the 8330 didn't come with WiFi.

VZW has since changed their tune, and almost all of their BB's are WiFi enabled now...
    this is more or less correct. carriers can and do dictate to phone manufacturers what they want in their devices. verizon is known for crippling their devices in order for you to pay to use their comparable services. one well known example was crippling bluetooth in the old Motorola e815, not allowing it to be used for OBEX transfers. they only allowed it to be used as a headset profile for bluetooth earpieces. every other company had full profiled bluetooth on the other hand. they wanted you to pay for their ringtones instead of allowing you to transfer them to the phone for free via bluetooth. people were soon able to hex edit the phone to allow it however. i think it led to lawsuits too claiming verizon mislead people when they claimed the phone had bluetooth functionality, when in reality it was totally crippled. another reason why i will NEVER chose verizon as a carrier.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 07-02-10 at 07:45 AM.
    07-02-10 07:42 AM
    another reason why i will NEVER chose verizon as a carrier.
    Come on. Verizon wasn't the only carrier to do this type of thing. Before the merger alltel crippled bluetooth. Sprint wouldn't allow mms. AT&T is limiting there data usage now. All - well most do something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 07:58 AM
    this is more or less correct. carriers can and do dictate to phone manufacturers what they want in their devices. verizon is known for crippling their devices in order for you to pay to use their comparable services. one well known example was crippling bluetooth in the old Motorola e815, not allowing it to be used for OBEX transfers. they only allowed it to be used as a headset profile for bluetooth earpieces. every other company had full profiled bluetooth on the other hand. they wanted you to pay for their ringtones instead of allowing you to transfer them to the phone for free via bluetooth. people were soon able to hex edit the phone to allow it however. i think it led to lawsuits too claiming verizon mislead people when they claimed the phone had bluetooth functionality, when in reality it was totally crippled. another reason why i will NEVER chose verizon as a carrier.
    I remember reading about that stuff, they did the same thing with the GPS in their devices as well... I believe they got sued on both counts and had to free up their GPS and their Bluetooth.

Sneaky bastards... but their service is excellent!
    07-02-10 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD