I almost stayed..... then I remembered horrible battery life, no BBM and no official MSN client.

But seriously.... an hour on HTC Sense 3.5 for my HTC Inspire(Desire HD) after using a Blackberry Torch 9800 for the past two months has made me understand what RIM needs to improve.

- Speed: Dunno about the Torch 8010 but the Inspire is like driving a Lamborghini versus a Ford Focus. Everything is so snappy without lag on the HTC. Could have a number of applications running in background and still wouldn't slow it down a notch.
    - Adobe Flash & Browser: It actually makes life very pleasant. Even on non-flash sites, I found by just having it installed..... it makes the browser smoother. I could pinch to zoom any website with smooth sailing. Absolutely no lag. It was an amazing experience to see. With zoom there's no focus changes either like on the BB browser.
    - Screen Sizes: 4.3 inches is perfect size for me. If I don't get a 4+ inch QNX phone.... I'm bailing ship. I dislike squinting, I dislike having to zoom in much and most websites just look better on 4.3 inches.... you can simply see more. I don't fit it's too small for my pockets either unless, you know, skinny jeans but that isn't an excuse.
    - Colors: Blue & Yellow in BBM (for example) is disgusting. We should be able to modify the colors or RIM needs to do a refresher to bring the UI up to web2.0. Looking at the Torch 1 was like looking at the mobile version of Crackberry....... THAT DULL.
    - Separate Facebook Chat App/Widget: - Not gonna lie but HTC's native Facebook Chat app/widget is completely awesome. It looks sexy, it's sleek, it saves chat history and it's prefect for those who don't want to open the actual (ugly) facebook application. Here are some pictures! 1 & 2

That is all I can think of right now.
    09-04-11 11:23 AM
    Well if battery life is your problem. Get a custom kernel. Then use a memory management script along with a bloatware freezer. This makes your phone BLAZING fast. So fast that you can actually Underclock. Its as smooth as butter. Once you have done this Underclock your phone. Then use an undervolted kernel. Along with some battery saving scripts. Use setCPU to set the min during screen off. Turn off wifi and GPS. The usual saving battery tips. I get 3days with heavy heavy use. And I am talking about 400+ texts and 5 hour phone calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 11:44 AM
    Once you try the 9810 in comparison to your 9800, the 9810 is the Ford GTO, compared to your Ford Focus.
    On the 9810, Still no flash but the browser is Amazing compared to the 9800, and even compared to the iPhone 4, the Browser is very nice

Screen size you MAY very well be in the Android camp, RIM Might release a 4.3" device, but I really am skeptical about it just due to their obsession with devices being a joy to hold in hand, and balance.

Colours.. this is Subjective, and on The 9800 you can change themes that drastically change your colours, not sure about themes for OS7 devices, as I've yet to try any

Don't use facebook so I can't comment on that.
    09-04-11 11:45 AM
    Well if battery life is your problem. Get a custom kernel. Then use a memory management script along with a bloatware freezer. This makes your phone BLAZING fast. So fast that you can actually Underclock. Its as smooth as butter. Once you have done this Underclock your phone. Then use an undervolted kernel. Along with some battery saving scripts. Use setCPU to set the min during screen off. Turn off wifi and GPS. The usual saving battery tips. I get 3days with heavy heavy use. And I am talking about 400+ texts and 5 hour phone calls.

is that usage per day or over 3 days?
    09-04-11 11:46 AM
    is that usage per day or over 3 days?
    Over 3 days xD. I wont lie and throw some false claims out there xD. It's 3 days but with quite a lot of web browsing in between

09-04-11 12:05 PM
    Over 3 days xD. I wont lie and throw some false claims out there xD. It's 3 days but with quite a lot of web browsing in between

Ok I'm less impressed then because my Torch couldn't match that, if it was per day since that is my daily use!
    09-04-11 12:22 PM
    There ARE separate Facebook chat apps for BlackBerry you know...
    09-04-11 12:35 PM
    i whipped out my tablet too for kicks and to see if it could manage one MP3 download. i had to fight quite literally with it claiming that my internet was down (funny my BB had no trouble with the wifi!) and that took an HOUR before i could manage a solid wifi connection. another HOUR to get the song to START downloading, and i just tried to install a proper overclock app which sped it up a TINY bit, but honestly i tried playing a song (the one which took TWO hours to download!) and launching the browser, and yup, choppy to unplayable until page loaded. it's Android NOT the tablet. i can upload a video if no one believes me.

battery life seemed decent then and now though, i was able to get Angry Birds Rio to work for three hours after the battery CLAIMED it was 14% low. that's one good thing about Droids, the battery guage fools you but you have MORE than it claims! iPhone is usually the opposite
    danimalchil likes this.
    09-04-11 01:56 PM
    Once you try the 9810 in comparison to your 9800, the 9810 is the Ford GTO, compared to your Ford Focus.
    On the 9810, Still no flash but the browser is Amazing compared to the 9800, and even compared to the iPhone 4, the Browser is very nice

Screen size you MAY very well be in the Android camp, RIM Might release a 4.3" device, but I really am skeptical about it just due to their obsession with devices being a joy to hold in hand, and balance.

Colours.. this is Subjective, and on The 9800 you can change themes that drastically change your colours, not sure about themes for OS7 devices, as I've yet to try any

Don't use facebook so I can't comment on that.
    Lol, Funny, I've never heard of a Ford GTO. Could you possibly mean Ford GT/GT40?
    09-04-11 03:41 PM
    Lol, Funny, I've never heard of a Ford GTO. Could you possibly mean Ford GT/GT40?
    LOL!! you are right, Ford GT, that will teach me to talk about a car I have yet to drive
    09-04-11 03:45 PM
    LOL!! you are right, Ford GT, that will teach me to talk about a car I have yet to drive
    Its alright, Gave me a chuckle. But I knew what you meant!
    09-04-11 03:50 PM
    I occasionally use my deactivated CDMA HTC Diamond, it dualboots wm and xandroid, but a glitch keeps me from using it, as the display driver keeps crashing, I'm waiting on a newer release or patch.

09-04-11 04:53 PM
    Well if battery life is your problem. Get a custom kernel. Then use a memory management script along with a bloatware freezer...
    WTF is this even mean? Isn't it better for me to get a phone that I can use out of the box without a masters degree at MIT? Pfftt. I gotta go.
    09-04-11 09:42 PM
    WTF is this even mean? Isn't it better for me to get a phone that I can use out of the box without a masters degree at MIT? Pfftt. I gotta go.
    Sounds like an iPhone commercial.

I mean, isn't that the most common knock on the iPhone? "It's too simple!"
    09-04-11 09:47 PM
    If it is anything like updating the Kernel on linux (which android is made from), then it should be relatively simple. Maybe time consuming but not hard. I'm a 17 year old and I can do it so I'm sure you can.
    09-04-11 09:54 PM
    If it is anything like updating the Kernel on linux (which android is made from), then it should be relatively simple. Maybe time consuming but not hard. I'm a 17 year old and I can do it so I'm sure you can.
    You made my night, J!

It is indeed easy, but most people simply won't want to try (which is their prerogative).

Hacking is still a very, very scary term.
    09-04-11 10:07 PM
    You made my night, J!

It is indeed easy, but most people simply won't want to try (which is their prerogative).

Hacking is still a very, very scary term.
    It isn't even the "hacking is a scary term" thing.

I've built many a computer, I ran Yoper Linux, Mandrake Linux, Lindows, and all sorts of different OS's as a Student, but today,
    I barely keep my BlackBerry OS up todate, The skill set, and the confidence are there, it is a lack of time, and the need to be connected, I'm actually keeping my 9800 as a SIM card swap phone so I can attempt to keep my 9900 upto date without being out of connection.

I DO NOT want a phone that requires me to spend 2 hours to set it up + having to find out what custom ROM is the most stable,
    That doesn't mean other people wouldn't love it, if 19 year old ME was here today He'd be all over Android, much like 25 year old ME Hated BlackBerry and wanted nothing to do with it, now I can't stand any of the current "Modern" OS's and how they do stuff and just love the it works and it works well design of Blackberry's
    09-04-11 11:39 PM
    You like you're battery life, but want a 4.3 inch screen, widgets and adobe flash.

These are some of the reasons your battery is as good as it is on your BlackBerry now.
    09-04-11 11:46 PM
    I spent 10 mins googling the best ROM for speed/battery life, 1 min to root my Galaxy Tab and about 10 mins to install the ROM. Honestly, not hard at all.

I remember having more frustrating experiences with trying different official/hybrid/leak OSes for my BBs for dubious battery life improvement claims and most just broke a feature while fixing another. Not to mention the trouble of installing and activating the apps, and the ridiculous advice to test an OS for a day or two to let the battery "settle in".
    09-05-11 01:07 AM

No offense
    but I'm not going to underclock 1GHZ processor smartphone, disable smartphone features, use an undervolted kernel and use scripts. It's a smartphone for christ sakes. What's the point of buying a fast smartphone if you can only use dumbphone features and have to reduce it's speed to that of a Torch 1?

Not to mention I like my MSN signed in 24-7 on my Blackberry. Try that on Android and you'd kill the battery within four to six hours without even touching the phone.

I already have a custom kennel, no bloatware, no taskmanager (kills battery) but haven't tried that script yet. But regardless.... no point as I only use the HTC to fool around right now as I'm sticking with BBM.
    09-05-11 01:28 AM
    You like you're battery life, but want a 4.3 inch screen, widgets and adobe flash.

These are some of the reasons your battery is as good as it is on your BlackBerry now.
    I don't want widgets actually. I hate them unless it's on Android. I'd like a bigger screen + flash. But Blackberry has always been legendary for battery life. If the 3.7 inch Torch can get good battery life using OS7, then obviously 4.3 can? BB can optimize.
    09-05-11 01:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD