So the majority of the mainstream media believes RIM is a company on a downward spiral. their sales (in US) have been dropping, and their competition seem to have the upper hand. BB OS7 devices have just launched and while great most people still believe they dont compare to the average android phone or iphone. well lets take a look back in history at another company that was thought to be finished.

Everyone here knows who nintendo is. video game company that has created characters such as mario, zelda, and Samus. well not to long ago the mainstream media said they were on their way out. after being beat by the playstatin 1 and 2 with their n64 and gamcube consoles. Nintendo reloaded with a fresh new strategy and BAM... the Wii is a mainstream success and has sold more than its competition the PS3 and Xbox360. so could rim look to nintendo's strategy for inspiration... i hope so as im a big nintendo fan and RIM fan. would love to see blackberry phones get nintendo exclusive games now that they are coming out with the phones that can support 3d gaming.

what do you guys think???
    09-11-11 11:19 PM
    Nintendo's strategy was "innovative family fun", which is an entirely different scope than RIM's

For one, a Wii is kinda cheaper than its competitors. It's also the most innovative gaming console compared the mainstream consoles (PS and XBOX), so there are two selling points there

The problem being smartphone market is not like the gaming market. RIM can't push some kind of innovative technology by itself, because a smartphone can't be innovative enough to still be a smartphone (CMIIW). The device is small, needs to fit to a hand, and most ideas are already used by the competitors (touchscreen, dual camera, accelerometer, etc)

RIM's breakthrough cannot be in innovative technology, but uber quality and brand's special (like sturdy QWERTY keyboard and solid materials). Perhaps some innovative services (like its push email), but definitely not technological breakthrough

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-11 11:36 PM
    The problem is Nintendo went up against Sony and Microsoft, not Apple. Nintendo, and the other two should thank their stars Apple has not decided to go into the game "station" sector.

RIM could be strong in the future (I hope so), but I doubt it.
    09-11-11 11:43 PM
    Apple won't stand long if they decided to go to the gaming market. The big three is too strong to be bothered with. Say what you will, but PlayStation 3 and XBOX 360 covered the killer graphics and online gaming experience, Wii covered the motion sensing segment, and all of them got dedicated game libraries (God of War, HALO, Super Duper Mega Hyper Mario 24th). Not to mention that PlayStation 2 is still alive and kicking (GameCube and XBOX's ***). In the handheld sector they have to face Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and PSP, with all the touchscreen and buttons glory

What could Apple have done? Make touchscreen TV? They have Mac, sure, but Microsoft have Windows and Games for Windows.

Even if they come when 5th gen console is booming, they have to face PlayStation, and then PlayStation 2. And they will join the ranks of Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar, and 3DO

Gaming is just not for Apple. Gadgets, on the other hand...

09-12-11 12:07 AM
    Yeah I doubt people will sway away from playstation and xbox lol I just feel comfortable with these two, I feel like apple can't even make a decent game on their iphones -_-

09-12-11 02:01 AM
    RIM will be sticking to their plans, they should. Developers are the ones who make the games, they'll be the ones to make the good stuff.

09-12-11 02:01 AM
    First of all, Apple already HAS entered the gaming market. With the iPhone. The future of the gaming market belong to handhelds, which are already approaching the PS3 and Xbox in raw power. (just look at the SGX 543 in the ipad2)

Secondly, you had a good point regarding Nintendo, but lack of invention is exactly RIMs problem. The Wii was revolutionary, but we dont see that kind of inventiveness from RIM. Instead of redefining their product they're still playing catchup and remain stuck in the past.

09-12-11 04:47 AM
    Apple won't stand long if they decided to go to the gaming market. The big three is too strong to be bothered with. Say what you will, but PlayStation 3 and XBOX 360 covered the killer graphics and online gaming experience, Wii covered the motion sensing segment, and all of them got dedicated game libraries (God of War, HALO, Super Duper Mega Hyper Mario 24th). Not to mention that PlayStation 2 is still alive and kicking (GameCube and XBOX's ***). In the handheld sector they have to face Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and PSP, with all the touchscreen and buttons glory

What could Apple have done? Make touchscreen TV? They have Mac, sure, but Microsoft have Windows and Games for Windows.

Even if they come when 5th gen console is booming, they have to face PlayStation, and then PlayStation 2. And they will join the ranks of Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar, and 3DO

Gaming is just not for Apple. Gadgets, on the other hand...

iPhone/iPod Touches are the most popular portable gaming devices in the world. That's the keyword: portable. Funny how they've already entered the game, made a statement and people are still oblivious to that.
    09-12-11 04:55 AM
    First of all, Apple already HAS entered the gaming market. With the iPhone. The future of the gaming market belong to handhelds, which are already approaching the PS3 and Xbox in raw power. (just look at the SGX 543 in the ipad2)

Secondly, you had a good point regarding Nintendo, but lack of invention is exactly RIMs problem. The Wii was revolutionary, but we dont see that kind of inventiveness from RIM. Instead of redefining their product they're still playing catchup and remain stuck in the past.

iPhone is not a gaming machine, although it's a phone that is great for playing games. Its gaming capability is a byproduct of high processing power. It's like saying Google is entering the gaming market with Samsung Galaxy S2, or RIM is targeting the gaming market with Playbook (which is quite uncertain, what with the word "play" right there in the name). Anything that runs on an OS and can run a program is bound to be able to play games. My Nokia 6630 couldplay Xplode Arena,and hundreds of other small games. Does that make Nokia a long time player in handheld gaming market?

XBOX (not 360), maybe. PS3? I call lies. PlayStation 3 has 7 cores. Try to approach THAT kind of raw power with a device less than 10 inch long. It demonstrates its raw power by having ****ty GPU and still have HD graphics

And iPhone is a portable gaming device? How about portable mini-gaming device?

I don't hate iPhone, but people really need to differentiate between "a handheld console" and "a phone that is great for playing games". iPhone is not like PlayStation Phone (which is a console from which you can make calls), it's more like N-Gage QD

Now look at what you make me do. I'm derailing the topic. Good Lord. If anybody wants to continue this, let's make a separate thread. This is quite interesting
    09-12-11 05:16 AM
    iPhone is not a gaming machine, although it's a phone that is great for playing games. Its gaming capability is a byproduct of high processing power. It's like saying Google is entering the gaming market with Samsung Galaxy S2, or RIM is targeting the gaming market with Playbook (which is quite uncertain, what with the word "play" right there in the name). Anything that runs on an OS and can run a program is bound to be able to play games. My Nokia 6630 couldplay Xplode Arena,and hundreds of other small games. Does that make Nokia a long time player in handheld gaming market?

XBOX (not 360), maybe. PS3? I call lies. PlayStation 3 has 7 cores. Try to approach THAT kind of raw power with a device less than 10 inch long. It demonstrates its raw power by having ****ty GPU and still have HD graphics

And iPhone is a portable gaming device? How about portable mini-gaming device?

I don't hate iPhone, but people really need to differentiate between "a handheld console" and "a phone that is great for playing games". iPhone is not like PlayStation Phone (which is a console from which you can make calls), it's more like N-Gage QD

Now look at what you make me do. I'm derailing the topic. Good Lord. If anybody wants to continue this, let's make a separate thread. This is quite interesting
    No need for a separate thread, if we're talking about smartphones as gaming devices it is relevant to RIM and BlackBerry phones.

First of all, the gaming market is not as narrowly defined as you would like - what you've just posted is reminiscent of the hardcore gamer vs casual gamer debates or flamewars which happened in the gaming community for a period of time. There are enough slices of the pie to go around - many people who were never gamers are now playing games on their phones. A smartphone which allows users to play games = gaming device. A handheld console = gaming device. I believe the reason why you're unwilling to reconcile this fact is because you have made a clear distinction between casual games and "real" games - and have rejected casual games to be filed under a general "games" category.

09-12-11 05:50 AM
    ^^^ +10000

iPhone is not like PlayStation Phone (which is a console from which you can make calls), it's more like N-Gage QDkkk
    Sorry, but what on earth makes you say that? Because you got it completely backwards. The Sony Ericsson PlayStation phone is a regular phone, with a joypad and extra buttons attached. It has the exact same chipset and other internals as any other cellphone, so why you make a distinction between the SE PS phone and other phones with the same internal parts is beyond me.

The distinction between portable gaming devices and phones is disappearing anyways, just look at the new PSP Vita that has the same SGX 543 GPU as the ipad2. In fact the Vita and Nintendo 3 DS are probably the last of their kind, just look at their falling sales numbers and the success of games on iOS and Android.
    09-12-11 08:40 AM
    This all sounds so familiar. . .

That Nintendo Entertainment System will never beat the Sega Master System. . .SMS has better specs! - 1987

That GameBoy will never beat the TurboExpress. . .TurboExpress has better specs! - 1989

That Sega Genesis will never beat the Super Nintendo. . .Super Nintendo has better specs! - 1991

The iPod will never beat the Creativ Zen. . .Zen has better specs! - 2001

The Wii will never beat the X360 or PS3. . .X360 and PS3 have better specs! - 2006

The iPad will never beat the Xoom. . .Xoom has better specs! - 2011

Specs are per se irrelevant; the are merely one contributing factor in a successful product. You really should pull back and see the big picture; it's quite different from what you see when you focus on any one portion of a product.
    09-12-11 09:38 AM
    I'm sorry to say that but people want "easy" and they don't know what is the difference between "easy" and "reliable" - iphone looks very nice and easy to use.. Blackberry has a bad name compare to iCarp, i hear people say "iphone ihpone is the best" and they don't even know what Blackberry is all about... people just like that easy touch screen and how it all looks...you don't need to select a device that fits you ... as a kid, a business man, a women that likes shopping or as a dog - just get the last iphone and it will be fine.
    Well, i don't really care about it, i just hope that more people will have Blackberry so RIM will keep making great devices and avoid mistakes like it was with the storm.

When iphone started to be big they got many workers from RIM (money money talks) and developed what is needed to be to bite the market BIG time! and apple knows how to do businesses, Steve knows his job..s, but things are changing now..

RIM is loosing many people because they have BIS and you need to get the Blackberry Data plan to use your phone with internet... it's a great thing but they need to develop it more to get people to see why it's used.. more then what people use it for today...
    Also the advertising, apple is hard to break...but if they will fight this long fight and again - develop things that you don't see on Apple and on Android they will beat the market.

those things are not easy... but RIM is a big player... and i love what they do.
    but it's not easy to fight with apple and android together while the shipheads from motorola are faking RIM's devices.

But what they do until know is very smart... look at Nokia and look at RIM... huh?
    09-12-11 10:50 AM
    I'm sorry to say that but people want "easy" and they don't know what is the difference between "easy" and "reliable" - iphone looks very nice and easy to use.. Blackberry has a bad name compare to iCarp, i hear people say "iphone ihpone is the best" and they don't even know what Blackberry is all about...
    People did the same thing back in 2007-2008, only they claimed BlackBerry was the best, often without trying other devices. It's just how people behave.

But I'd think long and hard about putting down the infamous iCarp.
    09-12-11 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD