I treat my phone with kid gloves. It's lived in a case ever since I got the phone and never been without a screen protector. Well, last night my screen protector fell off. This has been the longest time it hasn't had one.

I spent today at home sick. So somehow, while laying at home in my bed I managed to get a huge gash down the side of my phone's screen. Ahhhh! I don't know how this happened. Lament with me for a moment my fellow crackberrians.

Anyone know any sort of low-risk home fixes for scratches? It's not a giant scratch that is gouged into the screen, but a light one that is really only super noticeable if the screen is off or if my background is white. I've got an 8530 and it's on the left side of the LCD screen right on the edge before the black boarder.

Thanks for any help with potentially fixing the scratch. I'm putting another screen protector on now. (Although it's the cheap ones you have to cut out yourself, but better than nothing!)
    03-28-10 12:17 AM
    Displex display polish (google it)
    or
    go on ebay and get a replacement screen.
    03-28-10 12:55 AM
    Displex display polish (google it)
    or
    go on ebay and get a replacement screen.
    Any idea how much a replacement screen runs and/or how easy it is (or isn't) to install?
    03-28-10 01:18 AM
    Blackberry 8520 T-Mobile Curve Front Window Lens Glass BLACK, Blackberry 8520 Curve Cell Phone Parts i think the 8520 is the same lens it's $25 from here prolly cheaper on e-bay... you could maybe try some rubbing compund on it but be carefull which one you use.
    03-28-10 01:26 AM
    $4 - $10
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...LVeaa9aFr3B-ng

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...MtBdqHvbrNw2xQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...youzGm1CrojHFQ

replacing the screen video:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...pB8u2B0NZ_x67Q

I never tried that Displex stuff so you might want to research it a little before you buy it. Seems OK from what I read.
    03-28-10 01:32 AM
    I just got done googling the Displex glass polish and that looks like a good bet! I'll be getting myself a tube as soon as I get paid next week!

And luckily enough, my boyfriend has some old-school cut them out yourself screen protectors that I forgot about until just now. Those should offer enough protection until I get the one I ordered along with my new Epik case. (See I'm even a case/screen protector addict! This was so unfair! haha)

Thanks for you help guys!
    03-28-10 01:33 AM
    don't use displex i heard it was horrible check out the vid's on youtube about it
    03-28-10 01:35 AM
    You're welcome............
    03-28-10 01:37 AM
    What ever you do, don't try to polish it out with compounds. It can be done, I've done it myself, but takes many hours and skill. One false step, and you start over from square one. Switching screens, 15 minutes tops, and then it's new.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 01:38 AM
    Try a new screen protector - sometimes they fully mask any minor scratches or dings.
    03-28-10 09:11 AM
    I watched the video for how to take apart/put your phone back together but can anyone tell me from experience how difficult it is? It looks fairly simple. Can anyone verify for me that it doesn't look like you ACTUALLY have to take the phone apart to pop of the lens. Is this correct? (I'm not very comfortable taking my phone apart. I'd break it. :/ )
    03-29-10 02:07 AM
    To me it's the utmost in simplicity. Should take even a novice little more than an hour to do the job. Me, I'll take a BB apart, in 5 minutes, but I work on complicated equipment for a living. Take your time, you won't break it. Just be careful as you snap the housings back together, and don't over-tighten the screws.

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

03-29-10 04:40 AM
    I watched the video for how to take apart/put your phone back together but can anyone tell me from experience how difficult it is? It looks fairly simple. Can anyone verify for me that it doesn't look like you ACTUALLY have to take the phone apart to pop of the lens. Is this correct? (I'm not very comfortable taking my phone apart. I'd break it. :/ )
    It's very easy to take apart and put back on. You don't even have to unscrew the phone shown in the first step. All you have to do is remove the old screen and stick the new one on the phone.

A word of advice if you plan on buying a new screen is make sure there is adhesive tape ready on the back of the screen because most of them don't come with it and you're going to run into dust problems.

My favorite suppliers are sw-box because they provide good service and fastest shipping by far.

BlackBerry Curve 8520 Lens Screen Black - OEM -*US $6.25*:*sw-box.com
    03-29-10 05:30 AM
    Put a BSE on it. That will cover the scratch and prevent any future ones
    03-29-10 05:34 AM
    Will that block spam too AG?

03-29-10 05:50 AM
    Wulf can you do me a favor and post in a bigger font? I can't read it on my computer.
    03-29-10 08:41 AM
    It's funny the differences between WAP and PC. I made this a size bigger, and I'll show you what that's like next. WAPers complain my post type is too larger with my normal font size.

I hear tell you�re doin� well, good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm, and you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

I'm a Survivor Baby!. Go Team Gemini

03-29-10 08:47 AM
    I would go for the mirror screen protector, that way when the screen is off, all you see is yourself. Or if your still in your 30 day return go back to the store and see if they can help. Worked with my curve.
    03-29-10 08:47 AM
    And now with 4 instead of 3 its...

03-29-10 08:49 AM
    Please remember that if you take the phone apart you've voided the warranty.

Since you say it's more of a scratch rather than a "gash" I wouldn't take it apart.
    You never know if the phone will give you problems that are covered under the warranty.

I had a problem with a Bold 9000 once and it actually had a scratch on the screen
    and I was hoping and praying they wouldn't say anything when the received it
    back. Turns out they didn't say anything.
    03-29-10 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD