05-30-10 03:01 AM
30 12
tools
    Can they make a touchscreen that doesn't suck?
    i am absolutely delighted with my storm 2, so for me they didnt make a touchscreen that sucked.
    05-29-10 02:15 AM
    if you pay attention it's amazing how many people you'll see on the street with old blackberries, mostly 8700 series never mind 8800s and 8300s. It's mostly business people or politicians but yesterday I saw a young girl with an 8700. Go figure. I think 95% of blackberry users don't give a damn about OS6 and they probably never upgrade their old OS either. A lot of them never heard of the desktop manager.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-10 02:54 AM
    Did Kevin just say SurePress is dead? Will the S3 be launched without it?
    He probably just means for the slider since that one is just a touchscreen.
    05-30-10 02:27 AM
    if you pay attention it's amazing how many people you'll see on the street with old blackberries, mostly 8700 series never mind 8800s and 8300s. It's mostly business people or politicians but yesterday I saw a young girl with an 8700. Go figure. I think 95% of blackberry users don't give a damn about OS6 and they probably never upgrade their old OS either. A lot of them never heard of the desktop manager.
    I'm not sure where you are seeing people with devices, but the only older ones I tend to see are 8300s these days along with a good mix of 8520, 8900, 9000 and a very fast uptake of the 9700 that tends to imply people buying devices for themselves since IT depts are slower to upgrade.
    05-30-10 02:33 AM
    Because looking at terrible pics of the phones and/or of the OS won't make people happy... its very simple... What's interesting about looking at a blackberry on a picture? it looks "all business" and no fun, right? Do you guys remember when the first pics of the slider came out and everyone hated it? Well... how about when that "good quality" video of it leaked? Now everyone or most people are actually liking the phone and are very excited about it....
    That would tend to imply that the problem was with the initial leaks causing problems rather than the later ones being a good thing.

RIM has to understand they need us; Consumers and "previewers" because we are RIM's biggest cheerleaders, but I guess they are too busy making horrible choices on how to manage a company (Marketing wise). The 9650 is the perfect example. BOLD! hahahah that's why you delay a phone 6 months?! To change its name!?...... and not because it looks already a year outdated?! terrible freaking choice!
    Maybe it was down to the carriers wanting a bigger gap between it and the tour with the net result that they also needed to boost the memory so it was better suited to os6.

The name change was a sensible move, having a single brand name for that sort of form factor means that any marketing spend would benefit both gsm and cdma devices more.

All of the people I've spoken to that own a slider have said that without a doubt its the best blackberry ever made and they dropped all of the other phones they had for it, but without someone showing it, people won't care for now and their stock will keep going down the toilet. Same goes for the clamshell... The phone is really really pretty in person, but horrible to look at in pics. Night and day.
    Again the problem is the initial leaks of poor quality pics of early hardware, more leaks are only repairing damage and letting people get used to and potentially bored of a new device.

I guess my point is that OS 6.0 + Slider and Clamshell will definitely take RIM to that next level, but if they take advantage of our free freaking marketing as a tool their stock wouldn't be in the toilet.
    Uncontrolled leaks are not free marketing, in all your examples the problems were caused by leaks and then some of that damage was repaired by the subsequent leak rather than them coming out ahead. Expectations are harmed because any changes in schedule are wrongly called delays by blogs looking for something new to say, not to mention the obvious factor of people delaying a purchase of one device due to another device's info being leaked stupidly early.

More controlled 'leaks' of near final hardware and software just before the official announcements can be beneficial, but aren't vital, these stupidly early leaks do not help.

Their stock is down because the market is still unsure about how they are going to deal with the increased competition in their established markets and continue to expand into new markets, their stock price is not down because they finally seem to have learnt how to stop leaks, the only people that actually lose out by this are the gadget blogs who get less traffic without resorting to making up random stuff.
    05-30-10 03:01 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD