Wouldn't you think lots of sample videos of all these cool new things you can do with OS 6 including app videos, etc would be trickling out to start the marketing train for OS 6 if it were going to be great? I want to see what will be able to be done with good development. I'm just thinking out loud here. You'd think there'd be some "Why make an app for other platforms when THIS is all you need to do to make THIS cool app for BB..." I would just think we would've seen more than a few minute blip video of OS 6 if it really was going to be a much improved experience in every way..specifically apps.

I'm on the verge of thinking a new BB phone is in my future that comes preloaded with 6 and an Ipod Touch for apps/media.

I'm just trying to figure out RIM's thought process....

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
    G
    05-28-10 03:21 PM
    Os6 is going to be nothing special. SOS with with a few supposed improvements. Remember os5? There were people in here saying that they've seen it, and it blows the iphone os away! And how did that work out? Don't waste your time waiting for os6. Just grab one of the os6 themes in here and it will be basically the same thing.
    05-28-10 03:41 PM
    RIM's thought process is they don't want to kill sales of the devices they're currently selling while they roll out BlackBerry 6. Less is more.

It's almost un-RIM like to give previews of anything in advance of it being officially announced. The fact they showed off WebKit at Mobile World Congress and BlackBerry 6 at WES 2009 is really in response to INVESTORS rather than consumer's demanding to see more. The RIMM stock has been on a pretty big downturn compared to where it was, so RIM had to address the concerns of the street. Can they fix the browser? Can they modernize the OS? Can they make a touchscreen that doesn't suck? If you re-watch that BlackBerry 6 video, it wasn't so much about showing off features as simply RIM showing that they WILL be able to deliver a compelling touchscreen experience (soooo long SurePress!).

With the previews given addressing the concerns of the street, now RIM is back to their old ways... keep it quiet (don't want to stop somebody from buying a BlackBerry today because they're waiting for something coming out down the road) until it's officially released.

The good thing is you'll still see leaks for it... so it'll be unofficial previews vs. official ones. But there will be previews nonetheless.
    05-28-10 03:42 PM
    And for the moment if your thinking about a new BB then go with a 9650. I would hope that thing should be OS6 compatable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-10 03:47 PM
    I think that we might see the next OS with new models after the 9650.

I have seen a huge difference in the last firmware for the curve 8520, so i think that they might fix first all the actual models and then launch 6.0 with newer models.

Regards
    05-28-10 03:49 PM
    RIM's thought process is they don't want to kill sales of the devices they're currently selling while they roll out BlackBerry 6. Less is more.

It's almost un-RIM like to give previews of anything in advance of it being officially announced. The fact they showed off WebKit at Mobile World Congress and BlackBerry 6 at WES 2009 is really in response to INVESTORS rather than consumer's demanding to see more. The RIMM stock has been on a pretty big downturn compared to where it was, so RIM had to address the concerns of the street. Can they fix the browser? Can they modernize the OS? Can they make a touchscreen that doesn't suck? If you re-watch that BlackBerry 6 video, it wasn't so much about showing off features as simply RIM showing that they WILL be able to deliver a compelling touchscreen experience (soooo long SurePress!).

With the previews given addressing the concerns of the street, now RIM is back to their old ways... keep it quiet (don't want to stop somebody from buying a BlackBerry today because they're waiting for something coming out down the road) until it's officially released.

The good thing is you'll still see leaks for it... so it'll be unofficial previews vs. official ones. But there will be previews nonetheless.
    With that being the case, if they could at least formally announce which current Blackberries would get OS6, I don't think they would be hurting sales. People would still go buy them knowing that they can run OS6 down the road.
    05-28-10 03:54 PM

Wow! The man himself! I'm honored!!
    05-28-10 03:59 PM
    The RIMM stock has been on a pretty big downturn compared to where it was, so RIM had to address the concerns of the street.
    Don't get me wrong...i completely see the reason for this...but for me I think every not 100% hardcore BlackBerry adict has one day after another to change his cellphone - if eligible for an upgrade or even wants to buy a new device without a contract as i do - to something like android, iphone or even palms...just because RIM is so slowly at their marketing campaigns...if i just think about how much u hear about the androids, iphones and palms - alright i can just speak about Germany - everyday and compare this to that little bit we hear - officaly for sure - about BlackBerrys, i don`t wonder how much people here in Germany are just saying: BlackBerry??isn't this what the strange business people are "wearing"?!...

what i just want to say...Imo RIM needs to put much more into marketing camaigns to reach the average consumer...but again...this is just how its going here in germany....maybe the RIM marketing is working much better overseas...?!
    Last edited by Pascoback; 05-28-10 at 04:11 PM.
    05-28-10 04:00 PM
    With that being the case, if they could at least formally announce which current Blackberries would get OS6, I don't think they would be hurting sales. People would still go buy them knowing that they can run OS6 down the road.
    .....agreed.
    05-28-10 04:03 PM
    They won't announce it until they are ready. Period. I asked the responsible VPs while I was at WES and they wouldn't/couldn't say. Remember as well, part of the reason they can't say anything is that OS upgrades are still up to the carrier. So they could end up saying "this list of devices will get upgraded to BlackBerry 6" but then its possible that a carrier won't upgrade, and then guess what... you just got a whole bunch of pissed off customers.

They may still be talking to carriers and can only release more info when they've finalized agreements. Don't forget, there is a lot of legal stuff that goes on behind the scenes that we don't even know about. Or they may not bother at all. Just remember, the average BlackBerry user doesn't care all that much. It's really only the people who visit sites like CrackBerry that care.
    05-28-10 04:20 PM
    RIM still has 83xx''s out for sale, and A LOT of devices that aren't OS6 compatible. Formally announcing what devices are capable, will run the risk of hurting future sales. Plus, with RIM generally being a safe, and non risk-taking company, I don't expect to see OS6 for a while.

In the meantime, I'll upgrade to a 9700 and twiddle my thumbs waiting for Blackberry 6.

05-28-10 04:28 PM
    We need to remember most people who own blackberry devices never even upgrade their software. Only the nutso's like us do that.

The only think I want to have in OS6 is support for Categories in my Calendar, and have them sync across the BES. It drives me nuts to have to add the category back on my desktop after adding it already in Pocket Informant on the Blackberry, or vice versa. I don't understand why they do not support categories for calendar items as it seems fairly basic to me.
    05-28-10 04:41 PM
    Did Kevin just say SurePress is dead? Will the S3 be launched without it?

05-28-10 04:56 PM
    I would love to think OS6 is coming in the near future but there hasn't even been a leak yet. When OS 5.0 was coming out there were very beta leaks out there that were horrible, but still leaked OS's. So unless they just have a lot better wraps on it, I don't think upgrades to current devices will come for quite a while. Now if the 9800 really does drop next month, it will start the trend of upgrades (and I'll be forced to get the Slider just because I highly doubt my 8900 will see any OS6 love)

05-28-10 05:11 PM

IF there will be a Storm 3 then possibly... I'd say 50/50

05-28-10 05:12 PM

I did a double take when I read that too. Either SurePress has evolved into something more refined (even better click-screen experience, remember when we all tossed around the name TruePress?), or RIM deemed the entire SurePress click mechanic as extra effort required from the user (albeit a tiny bit) and decided to toss it in the favor of being a little more consumer friendly.

While I will surely (no pun intended) miss the click, I have to admit that my typing could be almost twice as fast if I didn't have to physically make the extra effort for the click. I could navigate the UI pretty quick with SurePress clicks, and I don't foresee that drastically changing in BlackBerry 6, but if any part of the BlackBerry experience is going to improve by the removal of SurePress, it's going to be typing.

One thing I have to say though is that SurePress was sort of RIM's answer to solving the problem of lack of tactile feedback due to the lack of a physical keyboard. Which would put the S3 touchscreen on par with Android and iPhone touchscreens.... which isn't a bad thing (both screens have been proven to be excellent in terms of usability), but it's just one less thing for BlackBerry to distinguish itself with.

I would've loved to use BlackBerry 6 with a more refined SurePress (which is easy, coming from a 9530 standpoint), but we'll see how things go.
    05-28-10 05:15 PM

Let's hope so!
    05-28-10 06:00 PM
    RIM still has 83xx''s out for sale, and A LOT of devices that aren't OS6 compatible. Formally announcing what devices are capable, will run the risk of hurting future sales. Plus, with RIM generally being a safe, and non risk-taking company, I don't expect to see OS6 for a while.

In the meantime, I'll upgrade to a 9700 and twiddle my thumbs waiting for Blackberry 6.

To help prove your point, I would NOT buy a 9700 right now. I would wait for something that had 512mb of app memory. We don't know yet how big 6.0 will be, and I would hate to see us return to the days of 25mb left for 3rd party apps.

05-28-10 06:14 PM
    I love the surepress on my storm 2. I really hope they keep it and improve on it for the s3. Its what sets it apart from other devices.

05-28-10 06:25 PM
    I would bet the 9700 will run it with plenty of memory left but I would also say I love my 9700 with OS 5...that is how I bought it and it is still perfect for me.
    05-28-10 06:28 PM
    I love the surepress on my storm 2. I really hope they keep it and improve on it for the s3. Its what sets it apart from other devices.

I too hope that they don't kill off surepress. I haven't been able to get the Storm 1 or 2, but I was definitely going to get the Storm 3 with OS 6. I really like the surepress concept. But in saying that, I like the BB slider too. We will see what happens.

05-28-10 06:40 PM
    I thought about waiting for the 9800 and OS6, but then I thought it could be a big disappointment kind of like the first storm was. But even if it is not, in a year or so there will probably be something that really improves upon this new design style. Like a 9000 style keyboard or a giga-hertz processor. Either way I think it will be a win for me to wait for a year and "live with" my measly 9700 I just got a few weeks ago.

05-28-10 06:47 PM

I hope not...
    05-28-10 07:02 PM
    OS 6.0 is out to testers already The problem here is that RIM got extremely strict about all these leaks and they are making sure they stop. Why do you guys think we haven't seen any good/well made videos of the new 6.0 OS and/or clamshell and slider when clearly the phones are out there?

Everyone is scared, and the big thing here that nobody else is noticing is that since RIM decided to scare the crap out of everyone and not letting them leak their stuff RIM stock is down to shi7.

why?!

Because looking at terrible pics of the phones and/or of the OS won't make people happy... its very simple... What's interesting about looking at a blackberry on a picture? it looks "all business" and no fun, right? Do you guys remember when the first pics of the slider came out and everyone hated it? Well... how about when that "good quality" video of it leaked? Now everyone or most people are actually liking the phone and are very excited about it....

RIM has to understand they need us; Consumers and "previewers" because we are RIM's biggest cheerleaders, but I guess they are too busy making horrible choices on how to manage a company (Marketing wise). The 9650 is the perfect example. BOLD! hahahah that's why you delay a phone 6 months?! To change its name!?...... and not because it looks already a year outdated?! terrible freaking choice!

All of the people I've spoken to that own a slider have said that without a doubt its the best blackberry ever made and they dropped all of the other phones they had for it, but without someone showing it, people won't care for now and their stock will keep going down the toilet. Same goes for the clamshell... The phone is really really pretty in person, but horrible to look at in pics. Night and day.

I guess my point is that OS 6.0 + Slider and Clamshell will definitely take RIM to that next level, but if they take advantage of our free freaking marketing as a tool their stock wouldn't be in the toilet.

Sorry for the rant. LOL I hope some of that info was useful
    05-29-10 01:54 AM
    See.... this right here is the perfect example of what I'm talking about...

(nothing wrong with what you said buddy, just making a point )

I thought about waiting for the 9800 and OS6, but then I thought it could be a big disappointment kind of like the first storm was. But even if it is not, in a year or so there will probably be something that really improves upon this new design style. Like a 9000 style keyboard or a giga-hertz processor. Either way I think it will be a win for me to wait for a year and "live with" my measly 9700 I just got a few weeks ago.

05-29-10 01:56 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD