... is being used by the US government to spy on smartphone users:

FBI rejects FOIA request for Carrier IQ info

FBI/KGB same thing.
    Last edited by T�nis; 12-13-11 at 07:33 AM.
    12-13-11 07:29 AM
    Surprise surprise
    12-13-11 08:20 AM
    No real surprise here. Big Brother has been watching everything we do for years. I'm sure that if we actually knew what all the government can monitor and see, we'd spend our lives in a closet with a tin foil hat on and never leave the house again.
    12-13-11 08:36 AM
    I figured the US Govt would have bought CIQ and not attempted an investigation.
    12-13-11 08:40 AM
    Yea, these carrier whores have all been stating things, like T-Mobile, that they do not "use the tool to obtain the contents of text, email or voice messages, or the specific destinations of customers' Internet activity." Great. But it raises the question who else besides the carriers and Carrier IQ has access to and/or is using the information? Obviously, everybody's favorite superspy, the US government.
    12-13-11 09:26 AM
    Let big brother watch us, we have nothing to hide.... OR do we?
    WIND doesn't have carrier IQ, so i'm happy.
    12-13-11 09:32 AM
    Let big brother watch us, we have nothing to hide.... OR do we?
    WIND doesn't have carrier IQ, so i'm happy.
    I am too because neither does US Cellular.

If it was on my phone, I would still be happy because I have a BB and it could be easially removed or at the very least be castrated by denying it permissions to do its thing.
    12-13-11 11:37 AM
    ^Yes, thankfully RIM has integrity and its devices are not so easily tampered with by carriers and others.
    12-13-11 12:01 PM
    ^Yes, thankfully RIM has integrity and its devices are not so easily tampered with by carriers and others.
    The idea of "corporate integrity" is laughable. Don't kid yourself.
    12-13-11 12:06 PM
    TMO had no problem "tampering" with a BB.

Let me refresh your memory:

http://crackberry.com/rim-doesnt-ins...-t-mobile-does
    12-13-11 12:08 PM

RIM doesn't install CarrierIQ on their BlackBerry smartphones but T-Mobile does | CrackBerry.com
    All you have to do is remove T-Mobiles bloatware or load an OS from a different carrier. Pretty simple to deal with, which is what I got from his post.
    Kevin_M likes this.
    12-13-11 12:14 PM
    Yea, T-Mobile's BlackBerry version of Carrier cIaQ is packaged in a crapware app.
    12-13-11 12:50 PM
    The only people screwed (if they care) by carrier IQ are those with it baked into an Android device (unless they root/ROM to remove it). You can remove BB bloat, and you can turn off diagnostics on an iPhone and it will no longer record (even though it wasn't as extreme as the one found on the Evo 3D).

This comes as no surprise though. Always looking for more ways to keep tabs.
    12-13-11 01:05 PM
    If FBI needed Carrier IQ to spy on us, that's pretty sad.
    12-13-11 07:03 PM

http://crackberry.com/rim-doesnt-ins...-t-mobile-does
    This is an example of your trolling.

Even if we followed this, iPhones was worse. T-Mobile put it on the phone. Has nothing to do with RIM.

Apple on the other hand, tracked their customers locations and EVERYTHING. Knowingly and on purpose.
    ridesno159 and ayekon like this.
    12-13-11 08:48 PM
    Gee, ummmm, I wonder who the financial backer of this company is
    12-13-11 10:32 PM
    OH NO! The FBI is using CIQ to track everything I post to FaceBook!!!?!
    12-13-11 11:47 PM
    No, it's using facebook to track that.
    12-14-11 12:10 AM
    And if you read what I quoted it is NOT trolling. Go back and read it. Not so easily tampered with by carriers. And guess what TMO did exactly that.

So we correct a wrong and because I own an iPhone I am a troll? Palease.

Keep grasping for straws.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-14-11 at 05:59 AM.
    12-14-11 05:36 AM
    And if you read what I quoted it is NOT trolling. Go back and read it. So easy tampered with by carriers. And guess what TMO did exactly that.

So we correct a wrong and because I own an iPhone I am a troll? Palease.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    You can argue all you want AP but the fact remains that CIQ is in all android and iphone regardless if the carrier uses it or not.

You can turn it off on iphone but let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time Apple records data even if you set it to off, ie locationgate, but people have short memories.

On a BB you only find it if the carrier uses it and you can easily delete it.

BIG difference if you ask me, no need to be so defensive over the iphone.
    12-14-11 06:01 AM
    Wait.. Isn't spying on us without our permission an invasion of privacy? I don't really get what kind of info they need from us :S
    12-14-11 06:14 AM
    Wait.. Isn't spying on us without our permission an invasion of privacy? I don't really get what kind of info they need from us :S
    in Canada it is,
    in the US it is covered under the Patriot Act I believe
    12-14-11 06:34 AM
    in Canada it is,
    Oh I see. Sucks for US.
    12-14-11 06:45 AM
    You can argue all you want AP but the fact remains that CIQ is in all android and iphone regardless if the carrier uses it or not.

You can turn it off on iphone but let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time Apple records data even if you set it to off, ie locationgate, but people have short memories.

On a BB you only find it if the carrier uses it and you can easily delete it.

BIG difference if you ask me, no need to be so defensive over the iphone.

NEVER SAID it wasn't........and not defensive over the iPhone.

CIQ on iPhone YES limited and easy to turn off.
    CIQ on Android Phones Yes not so easy to turn off.
    CIQ on BB's yes easy to turn off. TMO even published which phones have it. Where's the problem Belfast? Or do I need to make a video of this.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-14-11 at 07:21 AM.
    12-14-11 07:18 AM
    in Canada it is,
    Your right the Patriot Act covers just about EVERYTHING we do. Or at least that's what they use it for......
    12-14-11 07:18 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD