Yeah you are right..we just share our ideas..
    If you want data plan or not.
    Just try it one month with bis and without bis and make your decision...best solution is your experience

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 11:00 AM
    I've been thinking about getting (starting to desperately want) a BlackBerry for too long now, and have been holding back because my montly phone payments would massively increase should I get one.

For info - I am the poster child for a prepay user. I spend about �400 (or more ) on the latest and greatest every 2-3 years and then about �8 a month on my phone tariff, taking advantage of prepay call and text deals to get all the usage I need. I hardly ever use mobile internet and when I do it only costs a minimal amount.

I like not having a contract. I like freedom to control my monthly outgoings, and to be able to reduce it to ZERO even should I choose.

The problem i'm having is that BIS are only available to those on contract with O2 or Vodafone (they are the only operators that work where I live - any other carrier would give me a nice looking mobile paperweight).

So if I do succumb to temptation and get a BlackBerry Bold 9700 (*drools!*) I would not have BIS

My question to you knowledgeable persons therefore is, in those circumstances, am I wasting my money on a BlackBerry?

Would buying a BlackBerry Bold 9700 without BIS leave me with such a crippled device as to spoil the BlackBerry experience?

Also out of interest, what is the limitations in not having BIS?

As always, very grateful for any assistance
    I certainly wouldn't say that a Blackberry without BIS/BES is useless. There are certain features on the Blackberry, independent of BIS that make the phone quite indispensable. Case in point, I have a bad memory, so the Calendar, the Tasks (memo), the Memo pad, the Voice notes recorder and the Password saver are a godsend. Years of operating in the business world has given RIM a unique insight on how to make the Blackberry function like an organizer for individuals. The calendar is really quite replete, and allows you to set the phone to notify you at a specific time before the event occurs. And the address book is probably one of the most complete ones I've ever seen, with space for entering profile picture, job titles, company, company address, home address, birthdays, Messenger address, etc. The alarm clock on my Blackberry has replaced my standalone alarm clock, because it is loud, easy to set up in bedside mode and within reach. The ability to store and play music and video on your media files and a powerful camera are the other nice features, although they may also be found on dumb phones.

But although a Blackberry is not useless without BIS, it is severly handicapped without it. The most unique feature that the Blackberry is known for is the push e-mail. You set up your e-mail accounts, however many, and you receive individual notification for each, in the manner of your choosing. Many third-party applications also require a constant connection to function well. A previous poster said that she was able to use her browser without BIS or wireless. I don't know how she did it, but I can tell you that it is not the norm. Believe me, I tried. The browser is usually non-functional in the absence of wireless and BIS. This includes Opera Mini, which, after all, is a third-party browser. Blackberry Messenger, another unique delight, would be unavailable. Not all Blackberrys have wireless, but the 9700 does, and you would have to rely exclusively on it to achieve these things. This is highly inconvenient, for the simple fact that most people tend to use their cell phones while in transit, and wireless signals are in much shorter supply than cellular phone signals. Sure, you could use wireless at home, at the coffee shop and at work. But you usually have access to computers in these places as well. The joy of having a Blackberry, after all, is the ability to run your empire away from your computer. You would, in fact, have effectively hamstrung the device without a BIS plan.

The Blackberry Bold 9700 is undoubtedly a lovely device, but I think you should ask yourself if it is not overkill for your aims. There are other less pricy phones that can probably accomplish the same tasks. The way the phone industry operates, you get a substantial discount on phones if you sign up for a contract. I used to be leery of signing up for a contract because I wanted to be in control. I wanted the psychological comfort of being able to decide not to use the phone, and therefore avoid paying fees anytime I chose. I found, though, that I had become so reliant on my phone that I was using it all the time. I couldn't have realistically chosen to not use it any point in time. So, essentially, I was wasting my money buying these beautiful devices at full price, and then ended up not saving any money at all because I was using the phone all the time. You should probably do a cost-benefit analysis to see how much you are really saving, or not saving as the case may be. A starting point might be to call Vodafone and ask them: 1) The cost of the device if you sign up for a contract. 2) The duration of the contract. 3) The cheapest plan they have that will allow you to use data and 4) The penalty for breaking the contract prematurely. You may be surprised at how much more you save by signing the contract. At the end of it, you walk away, and the phone is yours...

A concise answer to your question? Yes, it would cripple your experience, but wouldn't ruin it entirely to use the phone without BIS.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 01-24-10 at 11:44 AM.
    01-24-10 11:03 AM
    Hi,
    I have a BB and don't have a BIS. Why? Cause I am a student and couldn't afford more expensive BB than 8520. My carrier's O2 who don't support BIS for 8520 yet which is not the main reason why I don't have a BIS. It's too expensive for me, once again, I'm a student. So I only have an O2 internet in my blackberry and so I can send e-mails, can browse any site I want (I can use the BB browser, yes). The only thing that used to irritate was that I got no notifications about new e-mails. Solved out. I can set SMS notifications about new e-mails so when someone e-mails me I got a SMS notification. I would prefer BIS, of course, but it's not worth it yet. For example, neither the BB App world isn't available here yet! :/

So, yeah. I can do everything without the BIS or BES except for using BB e-mail client and BBM. Can't use the BB App world cause I live in the Czech rep. No biggie.

Off topic here but I lived in Prague in 1999 for a few months, was working in Radost FX, is that still around?
    01-24-10 11:17 AM
    Off topic here but I lived in Prague in 1999 for a few months, was working in Radost FX, is that still around?
    Yeah, it is.
    01-24-10 11:36 AM
    for me the whole purpose of the blackberry is to have access to things that if I an not home and near a computer I can still get work done as well as keep in touch with people I want to surf the net etc. I am one of the people who could care less about wifi- Verizon has amazing coverage everywhere-
    01-24-10 11:39 AM
    Yeah, it is.
    Cool, do you ever go there? Man, I had some fun in that night club. I lived in jijcov or something like that just across the street from clown & bard hostel. Can't believe it's been more then 10 years now

01-24-10 12:46 PM
    Get a different phone. The only thing good about a BlackBerry is Email/BBM/ and othe social applications. All of those don't work with out a BIS plan. I had a BlackBerry Bold with a normal data plan for about a year and it was terrible. I now have a BIS data plan and I am pretty happy about it.
    01-24-10 12:47 PM
    Yes the iphone maybe less crippling. But there also advantages of a bb:

1. Longer battery life.
    2. Removable battery.
    3. Multi-tasking.
    4. Physical keyboard.
    Etc.

It is very easy to jailbreak an iPhone, which enables multi-tasking.

I have no desire to get one, but if I was going to use a smartphone without a data plan, I would choose an iPhone, not a BlackBerry.
    01-24-10 01:16 PM

I have no desire to get one, but if I was going to use a smartphone without a data plan, I would choose an iPhone, not a BlackBerry.
    For example when I was deciding between the BB and iPhone I knew from the beginning I wanted the BB because I hate touch phones and I wanted to have a physical keyboard. Plus iPhone is almost three times more expensive in the Czech rep. Sooo.
    01-24-10 01:28 PM

not just multi-tasking. how about longer battery life? how about removable battery? how about physical keyboard? how a stable os that doesn't crash alot? there are other reasons to get a bb over an iphone.
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 01-24-10 at 01:39 PM.
    01-24-10 01:36 PM
    I second the comment on the calendar. I use it all day and there is none better. It's the main reason I have a BB. The BB is an excellent phone in of itself, and many can be had for free or minimal money. My son's iphone always has connection issues when on calls. To be honest, I use the browser very little. All the smartphone screens are too small for my old eyes. Email will be important to some and not others.

Ken
    01-24-10 03:19 PM
    So that's what you can't have unless you pay for BIS, e-mail and internet? Really? I'll be totally unable to browse the web or send or receive e-mail on a BlackBerry without BIS?
    Correct. You would have an overpriced flip phone without the flip.
    01-25-10 12:22 PM
    Yikes! A berry w\o a data plan!?
    Thats a no-no.

I couldn't survive as a techno-geek without it. I love being able to look up anything from anywhere without worrying about finding an open wifi signal or going to a computer.

What takes others minutes to do...I can do in seconds with my BIS blackberry on the Sprint CDMA network. And I can do it from almost anywhere....driving down the road, in the bathroom, in meetings, at different churches...I can even get gps directions with my berry on the rare occasion that I'm lost while driving.

I would have to agree that a berry without BIS is just a crippled shell of a blackberry.

=]
    Dm
    01-25-10 01:11 PM
    I can't see having a BB without a data plan but also on Verizon it is required There are some carriers that don't require it. I use everything on it and without data it would be useless for me.
    01-25-10 01:23 PM
    Just my opinion I think it's pretty pointless
    01-25-10 01:24 PM
    You might as well just have a phone....
    01-25-10 01:30 PM
    Correct. You would have an overpriced flip phone without the flip.
    Once again. Could you please explain me then, why I can use the internet and everything else with just an O2 internet in my BlackBerry, not a BIS? Sure, I can't use the BB e-mail client and BBM, but I can use the internet!
    01-25-10 03:59 PM
    Out of interest, can you use a third party e-mail app? (is there even one?)
    01-26-10 02:28 PM
    Not really that useless bcuz some BB's come with Wi-Fi. Sometimes u find people that will use them to just talk or text.
    01-26-10 02:37 PM
    OMG a BB with no data plan! I think that would be a total waste, but I guess I would since my main function on my phone is everything, but talking on it! I say why waste the money on the phone if you don't want the data plan? I would stick with what you have until your ready for data.
    01-26-10 02:49 PM
    Out of interest, can you use a third party e-mail app? (is there even one?)
    The Gmail App uses the phone's data connection and bypasses the BB email architecture.
    01-26-10 03:10 PM
    I've been thinking about getting (starting to desperately want) a BlackBerry for too long now, and have been holding back because my montly phone payments would massively increase should I get one.

For info - I am the poster child for a prepay user. I spend about �400 (or more ) on the latest and greatest every 2-3 years and then about �8 a month on my phone tariff, taking advantage of prepay call and text deals to get all the usage I need. I hardly ever use mobile internet and when I do it only costs a minimal amount.

I like not having a contract. I like freedom to control my monthly outgoings, and to be able to reduce it to ZERO even should I choose.

The problem i'm having is that BIS are only available to those on contract with O2 or Vodafone (they are the only operators that work where I live - any other carrier would give me a nice looking mobile paperweight).

So if I do succumb to temptation and get a BlackBerry Bold 9700 (*drools!*) I would not have BIS

My question to you knowledgeable persons therefore is, in those circumstances, am I wasting my money on a BlackBerry?

Would buying a BlackBerry Bold 9700 without BIS leave me with such a crippled device as to spoil the BlackBerry experience?

Also out of interest, what is the limitations in not having BIS?

As always, very grateful for any assistance
    to cut a long story short BB minus BIS = dumbphone.
    01-27-10 09:43 AM
    I also don't see the point of getting a BB if you are not going to have the data plan.

The wifi is great, but doesn't work everywere. If you are not going to take advantage of all its features, why have it.

I think once you get the 9700 with the data, you will never look back. I never thought I needed internet access in my hand 24/7. But, then I got it and cannot even imagine what life was like before.
    This about sums it up for me, although I have the S2. I never understood why someone needed 24/7 access to the internet untill I had it. For me it is totally worth the cost of the data plan. I think I've seen other people point out on this thread, and I think that it is true, that a BB with out a data plan is just a really expensive "dumb" phone.
    01-27-10 01:58 PM
    Haha, I've owned a BB w/ no data plan whatsoever (except for sms & mms messaging) for almost 2 years now. Fortunately, with AT&T's recent data plan requirements on all newly acquired smartphones, and my NEED for a new phone ... I'll be forced to actually have a data plan now within the next few weeks when I"m due for an upgrade. Now I don't have to listen to my friends bash me for having a BB without a data plan on it.
    01-27-10 09:18 PM
    I used a Storm 1 and my Bold 9000, initially with out BIS. I had a 100mb data add-on attached to my call plan for $8/mth. It was fine for the 1st few mths until I started using email and IM apps more frequently. Now I use BIS with my Bold and don't use my home internet much anymore. I pay $20 for unlimited BIS and reduced my home internet subscription by $20. Good deal, I think.

01-27-10 09:48 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD