So i just got a 9700 as a gift which is currently not connected to any cell phone provider yet. I tried using wifi but it won't connect. Do i have to wait til i hook it up with my cell phone plan before i can use wifi?
    02-20-11 11:51 AM
    Yes. You do.
    02-20-11 11:52 AM
    I used my BB on wifi without being connected to a carrier. Have you input all your WiFi settings into your phone? Like the SSID and the WEP or WPA key?
    02-20-11 05:15 PM
    You'll need a data plan if wifi isn't working, likely you don't have the servicebooks, you'll need them.

If you're on OS 5, you will need servicebooks. Have your carrier tack on a data plan once you decide who you want to go with.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 09:14 PM
    wifi should work without a data plan.....but only the browser. certain applications require a BB data plan in order to work. my 8900 and 9700 are sitting on my desk at home, no SIM in them and i can browse on my home wifi just fine.
    02-20-11 09:16 PM
    I used my BB on wifi without being connected to a carrier. Have you input all your WiFi settings into your phone? Like the SSID and the WEP or WPA key?
    I "scan for network" (this is SSID?), it found my modem, I enter my PSK (my password) and it was "unable to connect because it failed to obtain an IP address"

Where did i go wrong? I set it to hotspot brower for "default browser configuration" but for "default WAP browser configuration" its set to bell mobile browser which i can't change.

this is v5.0.0.423. still haven't connected to my carrier yet, have a brand new sim in the BB from my carrier

EDIT: I think I figure out how to turn wifi on.... please correct me if i'm wrong. So i did all of the above i wrote, however under "Mobile Network Option" I turn "Data Service" to "off". So when I changed it to "on" it worked.

How do i know i wont get charge with the "data service" on "on" using wifi? not planning on getting data when i hook it up with my carrier
    Last edited by swallow_046; 02-21-11 at 01:20 PM.
    02-21-11 12:16 PM
    wifi should work without a data plan.....but only the browser. certain applications require a BB data plan in order to work. my 8900 and 9700 are sitting on my desk at home, no SIM in them and i can browse on my home wifi just fine.
    Remove the sim and delete your service books. Let us know how that works for you.
    02-21-11 06:01 PM
    WiFi requires the appropriate Service Books. If they are on the device, then you can use WiFi. If not, then you can't. On newer devices, many carriers do not push the WiFi Service Books without a data plan.
    02-21-11 06:22 PM
    Is there any way to get the Service Books into a device?
    02-22-11 01:56 AM
    Yes.

Get a data plan.
    02-22-11 06:07 AM
    Yes. You do.
    No you don't.

My son has a 9650 with T-Mobile, no data plan and I he can browse our WiFi network with no problem. Here I also have a 8820 and a 9000 both no SIM and plan and they scream WiFi with no issue. MY daughter with a Mytouch 3g browses WiFi with no issue.
    My 9700 has data plan and WiFi and obviously no issue. If I remove SIM card I still get WiFi regardless.

Be sure your router is enabled to allow several connections, check your WiFi security type (WAP, WAP2, etc), try to remove any security on router (leave it open). SInce you messed up with the service books, you might have to backup the system and re-load the OS.

T-Mobile is THE ONLY company in the US that allows smart phones (any kind) without a data plan, all the others require a plan, even if you don't want it, they will charge you for it.
    02-22-11 10:52 AM
    Just make sure all the wifi info is correct, you shouldn't need anything but the phone, but you can only use browser.
    02-22-11 09:10 PM
    WiFi requires the appropriate Service Books. If they are on the device, then you can use WiFi. If not, then you can't. On newer devices, many carriers do not push the WiFi Service Books without a data plan.
    actually i dont think wifi needs service books. i have a few wiped phones with just the OS loaded, no service books, that work on wifi and some with residual service books that do also.
    02-23-11 02:33 AM
    Something very interesting I noticed when I had my 9700.

When I connect to my WiFi router, the WiFi icon would remain white no matter what I did. In OS 6, it connects right away.

We have been through many discussions on the forums and came to an agreement that OS 5 handles WiFi connections differently than OS 6

I spent 1 full day on the phone with LinkSys tech support trying to figure out how to get a BB using OS 5 connected to WiFi in vain.

This issue happens on all my OS 5 devices, 8520, 8900, 9000, 9700
    02-23-11 05:52 AM
    I had a service plan with a carrier with a data plan for many years; then I left the carrier and was left with Bold 9000 that was still useful. I removed the sim card and the WiFi lets my boys surf the net and download games. He also uses it as a camera and a video camera. Cool thing is it saves me from having to buy an iTouch for $199!

So there you go folks, remove the SIM card and it should work; too bad the BBM doesn't work though. That would be the ultimate!
    12-26-11 01:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD