Just read this on CNET

BlackBerry will have an all-touchscreen phone in October

China's TCL wants you to know that the new, improved BlackBerry portfolio is not a one-phone wonder.

by*Katie Collins

August 29, 2017 6:50 AM PDT

The BlackBerry KeyOne will soon get a pal.

BlackBerry phone manufacturer TCL will release a companion to the KeyOne in October, with at least one major difference -- it won't have a keyboard.

"Two months from now, we will have a touchscreen solution to show," TCL's Global Head of Sales François Mahieu said in a briefing in Berlin on Tuesday.

It's no surprise that we're getting more Blackberry phones this year. Back in February*TCL promised as many as three devices*would be coming in 2017. But this is the first we've heard from the Chinese manufacturer of an October launch date of its next device, as well as confirmation that it is working on an all-touchscreen phone.

The touchscreen BlackBerry won't be aimed higher or lower than the KeyOne, but instead will be about the same price, said Mahieu. The idea behind this is to ensure that enterprise customers being offered a BlackBerry at work will have a choice of different devices. Some people will simply prefer to have a touchscreen phone, so the thinking goes. "We should not be blind to the demand that's out there," said Mahieu.

If you're a fan of the KeyOne's keyboard, don't panic. A full touchscreen phone is not a u-turn away from keyboards for TCL, just a deviation. "It will continue to be true in the future that keyboards are definitely a big element of [BlackBerry's] DNA," said Mahieu. Instead they are more likely be more sophisticated follow-up devices to the TCL-made Dtek 50 and 60, which feature full touchscreens.

TCL, which also makes televisions and Alcatel phones, has been trying to breathe fresh life into the BlackBerry brand since launching the KeyOne at Mobile World Congress in February. Two major criticisms BlackBerry weathered in its former life were its inability to react fast enough to changes in the the market and keep pace with rivals when releasing new phones. This is something TCL wants to avoid, hence a second high-end phone this year.

"The message here is very clearly: Don't write us off as a vendor who has good success with KeyOne so far, but has nothing more to talk about," said Mahieu. "We're here to stay and we're going to roll out more BlackBerry products in the coming years, starting this year."
    08-29-17 10:20 AM
    08-29-17 10:30 AM
    Looking forward to this device.
    08-29-17 10:33 AM
    Frankly, I'm not interested if it doesn't have a keyboard. There are a hundred all touch slabs in the sea and this one will probably not be any different than the others.
    tazcubed, duncan86 and neoberry99 like this.
    08-29-17 10:54 AM
    Frankly, I'm not interested if it doesn't have a keyboard. There are a hundred all touch slabs in the sea and this one will probably not be any different than the others.
    Mainly a secure enterprise product to compliment the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    08-29-17 10:57 AM
    Really if it has the same specs as the KEYone and the same price. They have got to be kidding themselves.

Posted via CB10
    tazcubed, Wezard and duncan86 like this.
    08-29-17 11:21 AM
    Mainly a secure enterprise product to compliment the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    How many enterprise customers does BlackBerry really have anymore? Most companies are either Apple, Samsung, or BYOD these days. And I doubt government agencies would trust a Chinese-built phone, even with BlackBerry software. The Washington DC agencies that still use BlackBerry are using BB10 or even BB7.
    phuoc and modifier like this.
    08-29-17 11:31 AM
    It's good news that they have such a strong commitment! I find that really good news actually.
    Sigewif likes this.
    08-29-17 11:40 AM
    BlackBerry will have an all-touchscreen phone in October

China's TCL wants you to know that the new, improved BlackBerry portfolio is not a one-phone wonder.

[https://cnet2]

by*Katie Collins
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 08-30-17 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Duplicate of OP, left link
    08-29-17 11:57 AM
    October release date means we will be lucky to have it available by beginning of 2018. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    08-29-17 12:13 PM
    October... the only thing new (and useful) there lol.
    anon(870071) and Bbnivende like this.
    08-29-17 12:14 PM
    It's good news that they have such a strong commitment! I find that really good news actually.
    Agreed. They're here for the long haul.
    08-29-17 12:20 PM
    How many enterprise customers does BlackBerry really have anymore? Most companies are either Apple, Samsung, or BYOD these days. And I doubt government agencies would trust a Chinese-built phone, even with BlackBerry software. The Washington DC agencies that still use BlackBerry are using BB10 or even BB7.
    BlackBerry Mobile are trying to change that. They have the only real Android competitor to Knox.
    08-29-17 12:22 PM
    I don't mind waiting, as my KEYone is still brand new, but I do think that they should release a all-touch model very soon.
    08-29-17 12:37 PM
    Still waiting for Keyone in Spain... maybe the cars will fly by the time this companion reach this market
    08-29-17 12:48 PM
    so a rebadged Alcatel again? saves on production cost, but same price? I hope it has flagship specs.
    08-29-17 01:13 PM
    so a rebadged Alcatel again? saves on production cost, but same price? I hope it has flagship specs.
    Going to be in line with the KEYone - price and specs. Basically a good equal option for enterprise customers - PKB or VKB, but same phone.

There is another higher end device planned for later in the year ..... but one would assume much higher priced.
    08-29-17 01:19 PM
    It will be distinctly different - screen lift included :-)

Waiting for K1 rev.1
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    08-29-17 01:43 PM
    Going to be in line with the KEYone - price and specs. Basically a good equal option for enterprise customers - PKB or VKB, but same phone.

There is another higher end device planned for later in the year ..... but one would assume much higher priced.
    But if you rip out the keyboard on a KEYone and replace it with a FHD screen... it's essentially a new DTEK50.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-29-17 01:52 PM

I could see the K1 price justified because of the PKB's cost to design and implement for one device. But $529 for a slab with those same specs will be DOA. There's much better out there at that price point.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-29-17 01:53 PM
    I could see the K1 price justified because of the PKB's cost to design and implement for one device. But $529 for a slab with those same specs will be DOA. There's much better out there at that price point.
    My guess is more like DTEK50 so $300 class.
    08-29-17 01:54 PM
    I agree it should be about $300 if it really is a 625 SoC with spec like the KEYone.....

The touchscreen BlackBerry will be roughly the same price as the KeyOne, according to Mahieu.
    So we know the price point, we just don't 100% know what the hardware will be.

But it's going to be an Enterprise only device.... as I doubt even collectors are going to go for this.
    08-29-17 02:18 PM
    Assume that if it's just a Keyone without the keyboard, it should be called a 'keynone'??
    08-29-17 02:18 PM
    I agree it should be about $300 if it really is a 625 SoC with spec like the KEYone.....

So we know the price point, we just don't 100% know what the hardware will be.

But it's going to be an Enterprise only device.... as I doubt even collectors are going to go for this.
    Cnet seems to be the only one pointing at the price though. And coincidentally, DTEK60 is around the same price as the KEYone, so maybe the same price one is actually Juno not Krypton.

You would think they have enough sales data on the 50 and 60 to know not to price it like this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-29-17 03:15 PM
    Let's start to get the KeyOne right first. Hardware and software.
    08-29-17 04:45 PM
95 123 ...