As a previous owner of a Palm tungsten E2, I had never even wanted a BlackBerry until the first time I held the Curve 8310 in my hand and played with it for a while. I continue to think that the two devices are similar in a lot of ways.

I have never known exactly what the differences are between the Palm and the BlackBerry - so could someone please tell me about this?

I do not want a comparison between any two devices - just general stuff.

Thanks a mil!

Peace
    07-21-09 09:24 PM
    E2 is not a phone, BB has push email, solid OS(no random restarts)
    07-21-09 09:46 PM
    Full keyboard, data and voice service....this could go on forever compared to an E2.....more BB devices
    07-21-09 09:48 PM
    Okay Guys - I really do understand that the E2 is not a phone and I also really intended no comparison between any BlackBerry device and the Palm tungsten E2.

Thanks for the info though because I am beginning to understand that the difference between the two kinds of devices is that BlackBerry is a phone/computer/PDA, etc., and Palm (prior to the Treo - I guess) was only a PDA.

Is my thinking correct here? Was BlackBerry always a phone - plus....?

Peace...
    07-21-09 10:09 PM
    As a previous owner of a Palm tungsten E2, I had never even wanted a BlackBerry until the first time I held the Curve 8310 in my hand and played with it for a while. I continue to think that the two devices are similar in a lot of ways.
    I don't see it. A PDA is similar to a smart phone in the same way that a phone is similar to a smartphone.
    I have never known exactly what the differences are between the Palm and the BlackBerry - so could someone please tell me about this?
    Different companies. The differences between the 2 in general is like explaining the differences between McDonalds and Burger King.
    I do not want a comparison between any two devices - just general stuff.
    If you don't want comparisons between the 2, then it is impossible to compare the 2.
    Okay Guys - I really do understand that the E2 is not a phone and I also really intended no comparison between any BlackBerry device and the Palm tungsten E2.
    Still don't get it. Take a Tungsten, add a phone, replace the Palm OS with a Blackberry OS. You have the same thing. Oh, you also should add the physical charactiristics of a Blackberry.
    the difference between the two kinds of devices is that BlackBerry is a phone/computer/PDA, etc., and Palm (prior to the Treo - I guess) was only a PDA.
    yes. Palm got on the "add a phone to your PDA" game.
    Was BlackBerry always a phone - plus....?
    I'm not up on RIM history, but as far as I know, the first blackberry was a phone+. But since RIM (the company Research in Motion) is different than Blackberry (the brand that only makes smartphones) I wouldn't be surprised if RIM made a lot of PDAs to make me wrong.
    07-21-09 10:32 PM
    The first BlackBerries were actually branded as RIM models (I want to say they were the RIM 75 and 85, but please correct me if I'm wrong, I can't look it up, I'm on the mobile forums) and they were an e-mail only, pager style device. The original "BlackBerry" was larger than the original RIM device, but it was still the size of the average pager from years back. It had a dot matrix display, and minimal options. RIM evolved on this platform as time went on, and the device grew into something that looks to be the size of an old school Palm Pilot. The phone was integrated into the BB years (I don't know exactly how many) after the first RIM e-mail device was launched, so to elaborate, no, BB's didn't always have phones...

Other than that, I don't even know what the Palm tungsten E2 is, so I can't help there. If you're interested in seeing some pics of the original RIM/BB devices. They have them all on the BB website. And please, if any of my above info is wrong, someone please correct me, I want to have my facts straight... I don't think I got the original model numbers right and that's going to bother the **** out of me!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 10:45 PM
    Thanks Guys! You have all been very helpful.

Peace.....
    07-21-09 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD