... my God, that was painful...

The little things that make the BB a BB really shined when I tried to go back and forth from different texts and emails, and then try to copy/paste and send to multiple recipients. It was unpleasant to say the least.

I was mad at my BB for being a pain sometimes, but that user experience with the iphone 4, which is an EVERYDAY task I do multiple times throughout the day, made me appreciate my Bold 9930 that much more.

And here I was considering making a change to iOS...

EDIT: Added in from later post on 2/26

As the OP, let me be a little more specific as to why it was a more difficult experience...

Plain and simply put, touchscreen interface.

When trying to copy and paste with a pure touchscreen interface, I have to hold down on the screen a certain amount of time to bring up the option to copy/paste. Where as BB works through a menu system and the option to do so is always in the same place. Believe it or not, holding my finger down on the screen takes just a tad bit longer than pushing a button, but when you're doing the volume of messaging I do, it adds up. (I do 5,000+ messages a month, or close to 200 a day...)

Plus, sometimes the touchscreen doesn't sense my finger's input and there were many times where I had to lift my finger off the glass and then press down again to pull up the paste option. A time waster, yes, but even more irritating (and dangerous) when typing/pasting one-handed, especially while walking and holding other items; I almost dropped the phone twice just trying to send out one message!

I was sending group texts to multiple recipients on the fly, meaning I was not sending to a predefined "Group". I am well aware of how to add contacts to the Recipient list, just press the "+" button. However, the hard irritating part was going back and forth from the Recipient field and the actual text input field.

For instance, with the iPhone, I had to select the contact first, THEN paste/type my text message. To go from the text input field back to the recipient list was painful since I had to click "Done" and then click the "+" and in many times I would miss the "+" and click the "Cancel" button instead. Then I'd have to start all over.

The BB experience is more user friendly for ME in the sense that I can go back and forth mid-sentence without having to press a "Done" button and I can either text first then add contacts or vice versa seamlessly.

Also, there were times where I had to "retrieve" information from several different messages, copy text from one message, then paste in a new text, then go to a different message, copy information from that message, go back to my originally composed text, paste, then type more information, then send... You see where I'm going with this? BB is WAAAAYYYYY faster/easier in my opinion. I can't even begin to explain the difference. Just pick up an iphone and a BB and have it yourself...

It seems like a very minute difference, but for someone who texts/emails 5000+ a month, the little things start to compound pretty quickly...
    Last edited by jranciano; 02-26-12 at 01:04 PM.
    02-22-12 01:22 PM
    Cool story bro.
    JR A likes this.
    02-22-12 05:14 PM
    ... my God, that was painful...

The little things that make the BB a BB really shined when I tried to go back and forth from different texts and emails, and then try to copy/paste and send to multiple recipients. It was unpleasant to say the least.

I was mad at my BB for being a pain sometimes, but that user experience with the iphone 4, which is an EVERYDAY task I do multiple times throughout the day, made me appreciate my Bold 9930 that much more.

And here I was considering making a change to iOS...
    "Shouldn't this bee in the iPhone forum?"
    Skier1960 likes this.
    02-22-12 05:17 PM
    "Shouldn't this bee in the iPhone forum?"
    Maybe, it could I guess. He mentioned a blackberry isn't that general enough?
    02-22-12 08:53 PM
    Maybe, it could I guess. He mentioned a blackberry isn't that general enough?
    Don't know. Feels like a post just to bash the iPhone.

Actually I'm just being witty.

Cheers!
    02-22-12 09:04 PM
    Don't know. Feels like a post just to bash the iPhone.

Actually I'm just being witty.

Cheers!
    Nope you can't say that. The OP states he was mad at his blackberry. The OP just put the whole situation in perspective. Going from 1 platform to another you have a trade off. A person has to decide for them self if its worth the trade off.
    02-22-12 10:57 PM
    LOL that might explain why iPhone users stop in mid-walk inside the Eaton Centre and stop the flow of traffic to poke at their screen in intense concentration. They were probably trying to group text and copy&paste.

iPhones are cool for like, taking panoramic photos... if I took 50-100 panoramic photos per day, I'd get the 4S. Unfortunately, I write like 50-100 emails a day.

Don't use a wrench to do a hammer's job!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-23-12 12:46 AM
    I am totally agree with ADozenEggs but someone asked question so my reply is :
    Do not required any aaps to send group text message with your iPhone which contains iOS 4 in Hidden mod. IOS4 has ability to send group text message and you can send message upto 100 peoples but it counts as one text message sent.
    Last edited by racksjackson30; 02-23-12 at 04:44 AM. Reason: formating
    02-23-12 04:37 AM
    I am totally agree with ADozenEggs but someone asked question so my reply is :
    Do not required any aaps to send group text message with your iPhone which contains iOS 4 in Hidden mod. IOS4 has ability to send group text message and you can send message upto 100 peoples but it counts as one text message sent.
    Why not tell the OP how to send a txt to multiple people? You just might make his experance th the iphone more enjoyable.
    02-23-12 06:45 AM
    Why not tell the OP how to send a txt to multiple people? You just might make his experance th the iphone more enjoyable.
    1. You tap the little '+' symbol in the address bar.
    2.Repeat until you have all the names of the people you intend to see the iMessage.
    3. Tap 'Send.'
    02-24-12 04:11 PM
    1. You tap the little '+' symbol in the address bar.
    2.Repeat until you have all the names of the people you intend to see the iMessage.
    3. Tap 'Send.'
    Lol, so if you have 1000 contact you have to scroll trough all of them to find the ones you want?

Yeah, that sounds efficient.

I don't have 1000 contact but I do have nearly 700, that would be frustrating coming from having to type just 2 letters then select for each contact I want to ad with my blackberry.
    02-25-12 01:53 AM
    Lol, so if you have 1000 contact you have to scroll trough all of them to find the ones you want?

Yeah, that sounds efficient.

I don't have 1000 contact but I do have nearly 700, that would be frustrating coming from having to type just 2 letters then select for each contact I want to ad with my blackberry.
    What are you talking about? You don't have to scroll through your contacts, just start typing the letters on the virtual keyboard and they start to pop up, then select the one you want, then start typing again and it will again narrow the contacts down as you type. You don't have to hit the "+" button every time. Works the same as in a blackberry.
    02-25-12 04:09 AM
    Yeah, group texts are fairly easy in any smartphone. Android makes it easier with "circles" similar to groups in the upcoming ICS.
    02-25-12 04:47 AM
    Just to be clear, are we talking sending sms to predefined groups or composing a group sms on the fly?
    02-25-12 05:00 AM
    LOL that might explain why iPhone users stop in mid-walk inside the Eaton Centre and stop the flow of traffic to poke at their screen in intense concentration. They were probably trying to group text and copy&paste.

iPhones are cool for like, taking panoramic photos... if I took 50-100 panoramic photos per day, I'd get the 4S. Unfortunately, I write like 50-100 emails a day.

Don't use a wrench to do a hammer's job!
    iPhone's group text just fine just like windows phones, but your phone has to support doing it via mms because that's where they put all the recipient info, in the mms header. Android doesn't support this. Not sure about blackberry.

Unlimited SMS/mms plans are the standard here so no one tends to care that it functions like this.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    02-25-12 05:14 AM
    iPhone's group text just fine just like windows phones, but your phone has to support doing it via mms because that's where they put all the recipient info, in the mms header. Android doesn't support this. Not sure about blackberry.

Unlimited SMS/mms plans are the standard here so no one tends to care that it functions like this.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    BB doesn't need to send them as mms, it sends them as sms and treats them like emails ie you have to option to reply to sender or reply to all.

I do have unlimited sms but no mms included, unlimited mms is unheard of in UK as far as I know.

Edit- so if what you say is true I would take from it that the iphone doesn't actually have group sms if it has to send them as mms, would I be right?
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 02-25-12 at 05:49 AM.
    02-25-12 05:26 AM
    BB doesn't need to send them as mms, it sends them as sms and treats them like emails ie you have to option to reply to sender or reply to all.

I do have unlimited sms but no mms included, unlimited mms is unheard of in UK as far as I know.

Edit- so if what you say is true I would take from it that the iphone doesn't actually have group sms if it has to send them as mms, would I be right?
    Not sure how the iphone would work in the UK with that system, but here in the US SMS and mms are treated as the same thing, so it sending out 1 mms would save me money over sending multiple sms'es. Also not sure about "reply all" and stuff, never really done group chat on either platform.
    02-25-12 10:27 AM
    Not sure how the iphone would work in the UK with that system, but here in the US SMS and mms are treated as the same thing, so it sending out 1 mms would save me money over sending multiple sms'es. Also not sure about "reply all" and stuff, never really done group chat on either platform.
    Unfortunately in Europe at least sms and mms are separate, sms are usually included and cheap, mms are not and they're quite expensive. International sms and mms are even more expensive.

With a BB one can treat group sms chat as a group chat by clicking on reply all or opt out and reply only to the sender.
    02-25-12 10:42 AM
    I think this is one area where BB excels natively.

I don't know how it is on the iPhone. Our girls HS soccer coach is able to the entire girls team a mass text in a matter of seconds.

On my android phone, I'm limited to texting 10 individuals at the same time (the same message). The easiest way around this was to install a contacts manager that allowed me to shoot out the same text to as many people as I wanted. Example, I have all my HS soccer boys in one group, I click on it, click select, click select all, send. That way I can hit all 31 at the same time. And before anyone says "ha, you had to install an app to do that" or "it takes you a whole 4 clicks", it doesn't matter to me.
    02-25-12 10:56 PM
    Nice! I find that I just do not receive or send a lot of texts. Certainly not to groups of people. I used to use Crunch, but I just my few txting contacts to BBM. A heck of a lot easier.
    02-25-12 10:58 PM
    BelfastDispatcher, every time you comment on iPhone, it become more clear that you have never touched one.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    02-26-12 12:10 AM
    BelfastDispatcher, every time you comment on iPhone, it become more clear that you have never touched one.
    I think it's more he seems to have a need to defend what a BB can do vs pick your other type of phone. The thing is I'd assume most of us are more than happy with the device we have whether this phone can do better at this than better at than this other phone.
    02-26-12 12:13 AM
    I ocasionally play with one.
    Based on the comments above I came to the conclusion that the iphone does not have group sms, am I wrong or a troll for saying it? Sure, for you sms/mms is the same but for me(most of europe) sms is unlimited, sms is �0.30 for each one I send.

This actually explains the growing popularity of the Blackberry in some parts of the world and its decline in others.
    02-26-12 04:55 AM

You're wrong.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-text-640728/

SMS doesn't have the header that can house the information MMS has. Not sure how BB does it or how you guys are group chatting with groups, but I've never seen any other phone that is able to "group text" via SMS because what people recieve are mearly BCCs of texts from a single sender, and the client will simply reply to that person.

That being said, I've never tried it on a BB. I don't know what they do, and I'm assuming you're referring to SMS and not BBM.

I'm sorry you have to pay separately for MMS. Maybe it's cause the carrier infrastructures are worse. People here like to send multimedia as well and you can't do that over SMS, nevermind with unlimited MMS you can sent LONG messages via text and the client will auto-convert to MMS so bascially there is no character limit for us to text and the messages aren't split - at least not on AT&T and T-Mobile :P

And yes, it does explain some of the decline. Between Native ActiveSync Support; SP-to-SP messaging services like ChatON, WhatsApp, and iMessage; Unlimited SMS/MMS; and IM protocols like WLM/Google Talk being built into high end smartphones there's simply no value in something like Blackberry Messenger and BIS.

There is a reason a lot of these group chat services use proprietary apps and accounts or assign groups distinct phone numbers to function. SMS cannot be reliably threaded due to the lack of header. It's like recieving emails that only show you who sent you the message, with no CC or subject fields. How is a client support to thread an email with no header? SMS is no different.

That is why MMS is more widely used for this.

Of course if you have the same group setups as other people then of course it may be able to cludge around SMS's limitations and function decently. MMS does all of that without any manual setup, though. The information needed by the client stays intact in the message header.
    Last edited by N8ter; 02-26-12 at 06:20 AM.
    02-26-12 05:49 AM
    As the OP, let me be a little more specific as to why it was a more difficult experience...

Plain and simply put, touchscreen interface.

When trying to copy and paste with a pure touchscreen interface, I have to hold down on the screen a certain amount of time to bring up the option to copy/paste. Where as BB works through a menu system and the option to do so is always in the same place. Believe it or not, holding my finger down on the screen takes just a tad bit longer than pushing a button, but when you're doing the volume of messaging I do, it adds up. (I do 5,000+ messages a month, or close to 200 a day...)

Plus, sometimes the touchscreen doesn't sense my finger's input and there were many times where I had to lift my finger off the glass and then press down again to pull up the paste option. A time waster, yes, but even more irritating (and dangerous) when typing/pasting one-handed, especially while walking and holding other items; I almost dropped the phone twice just trying to send out one message!

I was sending group texts to multiple recipients on the fly, meaning I was not sending to a predefined "Group". I am well aware of how to add contacts to the Recipient list, just press the "+" button. However, the hard irritating part was going back and forth from the Recipient field and the actual text input field.

For instance, with the iPhone, I had to select the contact first, THEN paste/type my text message. To go from the text input field back to the recipient list was painful since I had to click "Done" and then click the "+" and in many times I would miss the "+" and click the "Cancel" button instead. Then I'd have to start all over.

The BB experience is more user friendly for ME in the sense that I can go back and forth mid-sentence without having to press a "Done" button and I can either text first then add contacts or vice versa seamlessly.

Also, there were times where I had to "retrieve" information from several different messages, copy text from one message, then paste in a new text, then go to a different message, copy information from that message, go back to my originally composed text, paste, then type more information, then send... You see where I'm going with this? BB is WAAAAYYYYY faster/easier in my opinion. I can't even begin to explain the difference. Just pick up an iphone and a BB and have it yourself...

It seems like a very minute difference, but for someone who texts/emails 5000+ a month, the little things start to compound pretty quickly...

Last edited by jranciano; 02-26-12 at 01:05 PM.
    02-26-12 12:59 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD