7/7.1 devices have already hit EOL on many providers and there is still no native Theme Builder for this OS. Of course it's like saying the guy bleeding from his eyes with mad cow disease has a fever - but thought I'd point it out anyway.

Flamers will be actively ignored for not having a sense of humor. Please don't bother - instead, grab yourself a fiddle and watch RIM.
    lifeofchaoss and brucep1 like this.
    07-03-12 11:28 AM
    Oh RIM. What brilliant products and what a shameful, shameful record of getting product out the door on time.

It is the same old story. Every month it slips a month. This has happened since OS4.5 with software and we all know that BB10 is just a teensy bit late.

If I could offer one single piece of advise to Mr. Heins it would be to stay on top of project managers and make sure that their projects get out on time or, you fire them.

Theme Studio for OS7 was critical to the success of OS7, imo. Changing themes is one of the BlackBerry's unique features. Some OS6 themes are downright dangerous under OS7.1 and have causes system crashes. By not releasing Theme Studio 7 RIM have caused highly reliable phones to perfom badly simply because an essential software tool was not made available to developers. Some developers rely on theme sales for a part of their income.

I love BlackBerrys but I find it hard to love RIM. I really do.
    07-03-12 11:39 AM
    Theme devs have been doing what we've always done: finding a kludge around the generally atrocious theme software that has been offered to us as a means of creating our work.

Theme Studio 6 was certainly no exception. I have no reason to believe Theme Studio 7 (or whatever it may be called) will be any different...except that we'd (hopefully) have a slightly more reliable engine for compiling themes.

Side note: If providers are EOLing devices already, who is to blame? I'm fairly certain RIM doesn't dictate any provider's support/sales scheduling.
    07-03-12 11:56 AM
    Lol... "teensy bit late"
    07-03-12 12:48 PM
    Theme devs have been doing what we've always done: finding a kludge around the generally atrocious theme software that has been offered to us as a means of creating our work.

Theme Studio 6 was certainly no exception. I have no reason to believe Theme Studio 7 (or whatever it may be called) will be any different...except that we'd (hopefully) have a slightly more reliable engine for compiling themes.

Side note: If providers are EOLing devices already, who is to blame? I'm fairly certain RIM doesn't dictate any provider's support/sales scheduling.
    They're EOL because they have been out for months and have not been selling. Some carriers are reporting warranty replacements outstripping sales. Who's fault is it that people aren't buying BB handhelds? Theme Studio is usually out prior to or just after device release. RIM promised it within weeks of launch. Then we didn't hear a thing - till they promised it by mid-year - early summer at latest. Well, July is past midyear. And it's full on summer. And what have we heard? - A dog barking in the distance? Crickets? Leaves rustling... Who's fault is it that devices are being EOL? Carriers are making rational decisions to make money. So, I guess it's all my fault. I'm sorry.
    07-03-12 01:07 PM
    They're EOL because they have been out for months and have not been selling. Some carriers are reporting warranty replacements outstripping sales. Who's fault is it that people aren't buying BB handhelds? Theme Studio is usually out prior to or just after device release. RIM promised it within weeks of launch. Then we didn't hear a thing - till they promised it by mid-year - early summer at latest. Well, July is past midyear. And it's full on summer. And what have we heard? - A dog barking in the distance? Crickets? Leaves rustling... Who's fault is it that devices are being EOL? Carriers are making rational decisions to make money. So, I guess it's all my fault. I'm sorry.
    I agree with all you say except for the part where you refer to the OS6 Theme Studio release. It was late, I believe. I know that the OS5 release was late. It is sad that this happens because it is just bad project management.

There is obviously a feeling amongst the RIM development team that Theme Studio is not urgently required so they work on it slowly and carefully until it is ready.

This attitude seems to pervade most of RI's software development I am sorry to say.

Good project management means bringing the project in, fully working, on time and on budget and fully fit for task.

I shall now stop moaning about this.
    07-03-12 01:23 PM
    RIM can't even get this theme builder out the door.

How the h3ll are we to think RIM could build an OS and have it
    out the door BEFORE it is obsolete! (pure logic)

Come on Thor!
    Give us something positive so whinny bitches like me
    shut up.

Tim
    07-03-12 01:32 PM
    June is over - Where is Theme Builder 7
    Sitting next to BB10 on the shelf.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    07-03-12 01:34 PM
    Don't worry, RIM said Themebuilder 7 is "coming". They are working like really hard and the media has been like really mean to them and they are like in the middle of a really tough transition. But when it arrives it will be fracking amazing!
    07-03-12 01:41 PM
    I would say it's definitely at their lowest priority right now. As stated... the devices are EOL, and they are focusing on BB10. The Theme Builder is probably on hold until BB10 release since that is where 90 percent of their resources probably are.
    mithrazor likes this.
    07-03-12 03:46 PM
    Yes, everyone knows device sales are where carriers make their money.

Theme devs have plenty of OS7 themes out there, even without the help (?) of Theme Studio. Sorry, but the implication that lack of Theme Studio 7 is affecting handset sales just doesn't fly with me.

I'm generally an early adopter, but the OS7 devices simply didn't thrill me. My current device does all I need it to do. I have faith in BB10, and I'm hoping it's a positive evolution in terms of hardware and software. Seems patience is a lost virtue among the consumer-mentality masses.
    Heavy Fluid likes this.
    07-03-12 05:40 PM
    At this point, I doubt there will be a TB7/7.1. Theme devs have been doing a great job... But there are soooooo many limitations.

This is one of the main reasons why I will be getting an iphone5 until BB10 comes out (if it ever does...)
    07-03-12 05:43 PM
    I would say it's definitely at their lowest priority right now. As stated... the devices are EOL, and they are focusing on BB10. The Theme Builder is probably on hold until BB10 release since that is where 90 percent of their resources probably are.
    Yep. Lets off the only humans on the planet using their phones by:

1. Not offering the new stuff for ANOTHER 7-12 months.
    2. Not support the current phones they are making money on.

Yep, they can afford to kick the current BB user to the curb.

Tim
    07-03-12 05:45 PM
    I'm sure they're just waiting until it's "perfect". LOL
    07-03-12 08:37 PM
    I would not be surprised to find that this project like a number of others was stopped as a cost saving measure as well as to redirect those software engineer toward BB10 project.

That being said, I do recall someone from RIM saying they still have some mileage left in 7.0.
    07-04-12 06:27 AM
    They wait to long, They didn't get theme builder 6 working forever so I just got the perfect theme going for my Torch 9800, then the Torch 9810 came out and I upgraded to it which as far as a phone it was a huge upgrade faster processor it was what the Torch should have been. Now I have the faster phone stuck with Blackberry's ugly stock theme. I have purchased a theme from app world which screwed up my 9810 I had to do a device reboot after I deleted it to fix the problem.
    Being able to replace a theme keeps your phone fresh and new it keeps you from getting bored with it, which has been part of Blackberry's strength ever since my first the Pearl, I am trying to stay optimistic about Blackberry and their future but there lack of releasing Theme Builder. Or New devices is pushing me to look into other hand sets. The new Evo is looking good.
    07-08-12 10:13 PM
    No one ever likes my answers when it comes to BlackBerry themes, especially developers, but fact is RIM doesn't really have a priority for themes. It's just the way it is now.
    1magine likes this.
    07-09-12 12:23 AM
    I agree with the above post. Themes are just not important right now, compared to getting BB10 out the door as soon as possible.
    07-09-12 05:38 AM
    I agree with the above post. Themes are just not important right now, compared to getting BB10 out the door as soon as possible.

It's not an either or. They needed to do both. As it stands, they did neither. ASAP to me meant this summer, not another 4-5 months.

Can't run aa business - any business by teliing people they have to chose between on-time and right. Not a garage or a restaurant or home improvement. Maybe a surgeon - but not 2-3 years for a mobile handset.
    07-09-12 12:14 PM
    Themes are not important. Deadlines are.
    07-09-12 12:32 PM
    Interesting - just 2 quick points -

Just like:

a media player, cameras, bluetooth, wifi, applications, application memory (50, 125, 250, 500), adobe flash, front facing camera etc..

RIMM and posters on CB have claimed all these things were unnecessary. That worked out great.

2nd - RIMM set and had a deadline for tb7. They missed it and have not acknowledged it or apologized.

TB may not be important to you, but for many long time BB users, its all about the themes. Its why themes have been and remain the best selling apps.

But glad its not important to you. I also don't like tuna fish.
    07-09-12 12:58 PM
    Interesting - just 2 quick points -

Just like:

a media player, cameras, bluetooth, wifi, applications, application memory (50, 125, 250, 500), adobe flash, front facing camera etc..

RIMM and posters on CB have claimed all these things were unnecessary. That worked out great.

2nd - RIMM set and had a deadline for tb7. They missed it and have not acknowledged it or apologized.

TB may not be important to you, but for many long time BB users, its all about the themes. Its why themes have been and remain the best selling apps.

But glad its not important to you. I also don't like tuna fish.
    Being serious here... are you comparing a theme to device hardware and functionality? If I needed to toast bread, I would purchase a toaster that was capable of toasting my bread... a less than primary consideration would be whether or not I can put stickers on my toaster. To suggest that a sticker is of equal importance in toasting bread as the toaster is... well, it's insane.

My original post was saying that RIM lying to their customers, deceiving their theme developers and failing to meet any deadline with anything their entire company is doing is a serious sign of incompetence and is far worse than any single product they should have released not being released. Investors, developers, consumers and beyond - understand what type of company RIM has become.
    Last edited by rdkempt; 07-09-12 at 02:46 PM.
    07-09-12 02:36 PM
    and we are still waiting.....

Not for much longer though....

Tim
    1magine likes this.
    07-11-12 10:49 PM
    We are so sick of waiting.Well I'm moving on to Nokia themes until TB 7 has been released.I'm not creating themes for OS 5/6 anymore,sales are crap now.People want OS 7 themes now
    08-10-12 01:47 AM
    RIM can't meet deadlines. Bring on the theme builder!!!
    08-10-12 02:34 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD