Imagine how long they'll last if dropped off a table, from a pocket, from somebody letting it fall to the ground from chest height...
    Or accidentally letting it fall down stairs, off a balcony, into water on a hard surface... oh the list goes on...

Won't last if all glass.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    Folding phones can't be glass since glass isn't flexible and cannot fold
    Jake2826 likes this.
    03-10-19 09:56 PM
    Well, aren't they going to have all glass screens, and a flimsy hidden hinge? Plastic tends to to wear out especially if it's not the kind of hinge used that "tanks" of feature phones used, and those didn't fail easily, nor did they wrinkle. Why don't they bring it back?

03-10-19 11:20 PM
    Corning is looking to solve that - https://www.wired.com/story/folding-...ait-for-glass/
    03-11-19 12:07 PM
    Blackberry CEO's have a penchant for being on the wrong side of history when it comes to deciding what's innovative and what's not and what's going to be the next big thing...seems like this one hasn't learned anything from the previous 3.

Posted via CB10
    Strangely enough, that was the whole point of the article that I posted a link to start this discussion here. Weirdly, someone changed the 2 links so no point in posting them again as crackberry obviously have an issue with one or the other.
    03-11-19 02:23 PM
    He's right about it, this isn't quite an innovation. Apple invented it way long ago with iPhone 6plus which for users benefit was able to fold and transform into a wallet which people could use to carry money n cards. Though he got no business in smartphone market today but presenting the last year's key2 in new red color and increased internals is quite an innovation imo.
    the_boon likes this.
    03-11-19 03:33 PM
    To read the Barron's article you have to subscribe. I took a pass.
    03-11-19 05:09 PM
    Foldable phones are like any other new product, they go out and gather their research to see if their is a market for such a product, design it, come up with a price point and then manufacturer it.

As with any company they hope the product will be successful and make a profit for their hard earned efforts.

Doesn’t matter who thinks it’s bad idea or not. It’s all about marketing these days. Just my two cents.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    03-11-19 05:58 PM
    It's like 3D TV, it's a fad and it will pass with a lingering departure. Not interested at all.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-11-19 07:51 PM
    Wouldn't one possibility be that those who dual carry a phone and tablet could now just go to one device?
    Who does that? There's this guy that works for me that brings his phone, tablet, and a laptop to work with him and doesn't need any of it. He pumps gas for crying outloud. I tell him all the time his kids are going to be lost without their babysitters. Which is what tablets are.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-11-19 08:49 PM
    Who does that? There's this guy that works for me that brings his phone, tablet, and a laptop to work with him and doesn't need any of it. He pumps gas for crying outloud. I tell him all the time his kids are going to be lost without their babysitters. Which is what tablets are.
    I know tons of professionals that use them for completely different things. Many on the forums do too.
    Tsepz_GP and hplovecraft like this.
    03-11-19 08:52 PM
    I know tons of professionals that use them for completely different things. Many on the forums do too.
    Hmmm. There's no way I'd want to do my spreadsheets and such without a mouse and keyboard. If I think about it you have a point. I have vendors like Pepsi and Coke that equip their agents with tablets but that's because they are using an app for their orders and such. I have nothing against the foldable tech converting phablets to tablets but I rather see it used to make smartphones smaller. I see that Moto is working on a Razr.

Did anyone have the Blackberry Pearl Flip? Now there's some BB opportunity with foldable tech. I loved that phone.
    03-11-19 08:57 PM
    Hmmm. There's no way I'd want to do my spreadsheets and such without a mouse and keyboard. If I think about it you have a point. I have vendors like Pepsi and Coke that equip their agents with tablets but that's because they are using an app for their orders and such. I have nothing against the foldable tech converting phablets to tablets but I rather see it used to make smartphones smaller. I see that Moto is working on a Razr.

Did anyone have the Blackberry Pearl Flip? Now there's some BB opportunity with foldable tech. I loved that phone.
    I wouldn't do spreadsheets either. Most people I know using tablets tend to be for reading/annotating papers and using apps for medical purposes in which they need to look at images, charts, etc.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    03-11-19 09:21 PM
    Foldable phones are like any other new product, they go out and gather their research to see if their is a market for such a product, design it, come up with a price point and then manufacturer it.

As with any company they hope the product will be successful and make a profit for their hard earned efforts.

Doesn’t matter who thinks it’s bad idea or not. It’s all about marketing these days. Just my two cents.
    Absolutely agreed.

I do however believe Foldables are the most innovative thing since the Convergence smartphone aka Nokia N95, allowing us to do more with the computers in our pockets.

The fact that a Foldable smartphone can combine 2 devices in 1 is amazing, in the same way that modern smartphones allowed people to leave their GPS, Point-and-shoot Camera, Boradband home connection, MP3 Player etc... at home with a device that carries all those things in one device that can run for well over a day on a single charge.

Now we have moved to a point where want more power and screen real estate in this one device, and the Foldables are coming in to solve both, by bringing both a High-end Smartphone and 8inch Tablet into one device.

Even with the +6.3inch screens we have these days, there sometimes comes a point where you want a large tall and wide display to do certain things.
    03-17-19 02:33 AM
    I wouldn't do spreadsheets either. Most people I know using tablets tend to be for reading/annotating papers and using apps for medical purposes in which they need to look at images, charts, etc.
    This man gets it! Exactly!
    03-17-19 02:35 AM
    Absolutely agreed.

I do however believe Foldables are the most innovative thing since the Convergence smartphone aka Nokia N95, allowing us to do more with the computers in our pockets.

The fact that a Foldable smartphone can combine 2 devices in 1 is amazing, in the same way that modern smartphones allowed people to leave their GPS, Point-and-shoot Camera, Boradband home connection, MP3 Player etc... at home with a device that carries all those things in one device that can run for well over a day on a single charge.

Now we have moved to a point where want more power and screen real estate in this one device, and the Foldables are coming in to solve both, by bringing both a High-end Smartphone and 8inch Tablet into one device.

Even with the +6.3inch screens we have these days, there sometimes comes a point where you want a large tall and wide display to do certain things.
    A tablet with an OTG keyboard and mouse would be best suited. Forget a smartphone :P

03-17-19 03:03 AM
    A tablet with an OTG keyboard and mouse would be best suited. Forget a smartphone

Nah, I'd be good with a Foldable along with my foldable BT Keyboard. It will fold into a smartphone when I need it to, no need to lug around a tablet case and all that mess.
    03-17-19 03:07 AM
    Absolutely agreed.

It’s back to the fine line between being a smartphone or a laptop as far as functionality goes. But, the price will dictate wether it will survive or not in a already saturated market. It should be interesting to see where it goes.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    03-17-19 06:09 AM
    It’s back to the fine line between being a smartphone or a laptop as far as functionality goes. But, the price will dictate wether it will survive or not in a already saturated market. It should be interesting to see where it goes.
    Absolutely. I think these will get cheaper in a relatively quick time though, there is so much competition right now that within a year or two there will be some selling for super low prices.
    03-17-19 06:28 AM
    But attaching a physical keyboard to a phone is innovative?

That's been sooooo played.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    03-20-19 05:59 PM
    But attaching a physical keyboard to a phone is innovative?

That's been sooooo played.
    I guess you could say:
    "Making a keyboard act as a trackpad, as well as incorporating a fingerprint sensor in the spacebar is innovative"

But hey, the trackpad keyboard is almost 5 years old now if we go back to the Passport, and the fingerprint sensor in spacebar is just about 2 years old.

Maybe not "innovative", but "different" and "utilitarian"
    03-21-19 11:09 PM

Lol... I frequently grab my toolbelt equipped 9900 for spreadsheet duties even while sitting at a desktop... thanks to trackpad and single thumb capability, it's THAT good for that activity. Especially while operating PC with right hand. That under appriciated feature alone makes the thing worth keeping around despite its obsolescence. MS should look in to providing a 9900 inspired spreadsheet appliance as accessory for Excel! Imo.

Sure wish TCL could see fit to add trackpad to K3 or ?? Bluetooth & usb PC mouse works surprisingly well on this k1... why not trackpad??
    03-22-19 09:51 AM
    Bigger, more distracting, "roadside billboards" command bigger marketing margins. Bigger, more distracting "Tamagotchi pets" assure better focus on Google's ad appliance. Google has every incentive to "make" folding monsters "innovative". Hardware makers will ablige. Especially in a saturated market. Lol.
    03-22-19 09:57 AM
    I think the touch sensitive keypad of the key 2 is suppose to provide you with that single thumb navigation your looking for. I was a TMobile rep in the pearl days and the track ball was loved while also troublesome. I think it's wise as they expand into the Android market to avoid additional points of failure. iMO
    03-22-19 09:57 AM
    I think the touch sensitive keypad of the key 2 is suppose to provide you with that single thumb navigation your looking for. I was a TMobile rep in the pearl days and the track ball was loved while also troublesome. I think it's wise as they expand into the Android market to avoid additional points of failure. iMO
    Agreed, the Pearl's trackBALL was a reliability nightmare. I carried spare trackBALL assemblies and got really good at swapping. Even in the dark. Lol.

Optical trackPAD was a giant leap in reliability. Well worth having on any device. I've schemed to fit one on my laptop... if time ever permits. Lol.

Sure haven't heard K's fingerprint scanner was capable of cursor pointing? Is there an app for that? Would be GREAT, if so! Especially for spreadsheets.

EDIT: reading closer I see you were referring to the K's Capacitive KB. Sadly, my experience with that doesn't hold a candle to a real trackpad. I DO like it for lighting up the keboard in the dark, with a touch.

USB & Bluetooth PC mouse works surprisingly well, tho. Wish mouse buttons could be re-mapped, tho.

Track nav has a way of taming both huge, and tiny, displays. Using a monster sized folding tablet, I'd see value in trackpad. At least till human thumbs evolve about 6" longer, and transparent. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 03-22-19 at 10:41 AM.
    03-22-19 10:20 AM
49 12