Maybe too late now but considering John Chens obligations to Disney and Wells Fargo, is it possible that BlackBerry isn't getting his full attention?

Is it time for some new blood that won't be distracted or influenced by the same people that Chen has to deal with in his other professional interests?

Not saying he's doing a bad job but I have to think that he's burning the candles at both ends and serving on Disney's Board with Apple, Facebook, Twitter and who ever else could possibly result in a little too much professional courtesy when right now I think a more ruthless. Marketing campaign should be Blackberrys priority?

Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 08:35 PM
    I think I have John Chen threads burnout.
    03-30-16 08:39 PM
    I think I have John Chen threads burnout.
    Keep calm and Chen on.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-30-16 10:17 PM
    Not saying he's doing a bad job but I have to think that he's burning the candles at both ends and serving on Disney's Board with Apple, Facebook, Twitter and who ever else could possibly result in a little too much professional courtesy when right now I think a more ruthless. Marketing campaign should be Blackberrys priority?
    John Chen has stated BB's priorities over and over and over. They are:

• Grow the software business.
    • Focus R&D on business-related (not consumer-related) IoT projects
    • Stabilize the finances of the company

You'll note that those priorities don't include anything about the smartphone business. BB's Board of Directors wrote that off before they even hired Chen, who is a software guy, not a hardware guy. The main reason BB didn't just kill the hardware business outright back in October of 2013 is because they had phones in the pipeline that they'd already had commitments for (bought the parts, promised to deliver to distributors, etc.), they had contracts to support phones for a given period for bigger BES customers, and because they didn't want to completely kill revenues overnight. Instead, Chen is doing the slow withdrawal from the hardware business.

Any confusion you may have centers around the idea that BB is trying to make the smartphone business successful. That time has passed. They are trying to keep it alive at the lowest possible cost until they can run out the clock on their contractual obligations. I'd bet that Chen spends less than 10% of his time on the smartphone business, and the vast majority trying to grow software revenues, because, again, that's the direction he has stated, multiple times, that he's taking the company.
    03-30-16 11:20 PM
    John Chen has stated BB's priorities over and over and over. They are:

• Grow the software business.
    • Focus R&D on business-related (not consumer-related) IoT projects
    • Stabilize the finances of the company

You'll note that those priorities don't include anything about the smartphone business. BB's Board of Directors wrote that off before they even hired Chen, who is a software guy, not a hardware guy. The main reason BB didn't just kill the hardware business outright back in October of 2013 is because they had phones in the pipeline that they'd already had commitments for (bought the parts, promised to deliver to distributors, etc.), they had contracts to support phones for a given period for bigger BES customers, and because they didn't want to completely kill revenues overnight. Instead, Chen is doing the slow withdrawal from the hardware business.

Any confusion you may have centers around the idea that BB is trying to make the smartphone business successful. That time has passed. They are trying to keep it alive at the lowest possible cost until they can run out the clock on their contractual obligations. I'd bet that Chen spends less than 10% of his time on the smartphone business, and the vast majority trying to grow software revenues, because, again, that's the direction he has stated, multiple times, that he's taking the company.
    Didn't you write the handset business off after the Z30 when you proclaimed it the last device BlackBerry would ever make?

I'm not sure where you come up with all this stuff but why would they launch a device as recently as November if their goal is to just wait out their contractual obligations?

I won't begin to say what will happen to the handset division because I don't know but everything you just stated about it is pure unsubstantiated opinion. You have a tendency to write these long posts where your opinion is stated as fact.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-30-16 11:27 PM
    And there you have it, lets close this thread now. All Troy T posts should officially be the final post of every thread, as his SME level information and analysis is so thorough it leaves no possibility of expansion or debate. Next only to bobshine in wisdom and self confidence.

Shut 'er down goober!
    brian4591, chopachain and ray689 like this.
    03-30-16 11:32 PM
    I'm not sure where you come up with all this stuff but why would they launch a device as recently as November if their goal is to just wait out their contractual obligations?
    The Priv is an Android device, and I assure you they aren't writing multi-year contracts to support them - unlike what they were doing with BB10 in order to get BES subscriptions.
    03-31-16 12:14 AM
    The Priv is an Android device, and I assure you they aren't writing multi-year contracts to support them - unlike what they were doing with BB10 in order to get BES subscriptions.
    So because its an android device it doesn't qualify as part of the handset division that the board already "wrote off" as you say? Thats some nice back tracking there Troy.

Mr.mister and BerrySoul like this.
    03-31-16 01:02 AM
    So because its an android device it doesn't qualify as part of the handset division that the board already "wrote off" as you say? Thats some nice back tracking there Troy.
    When did I say that?

Chen has said himself that he's not going to stay in handsets if he can't turn a profit on them, and that he was going to look at 2016's results to see if that profit comes. So, clearly, the handset business is potentially on the chopping block. It's also clearly not BB's focus - just look at the evidence. Offering "exclusives" when they need to sell as many as possible makes little sense. Very limited marketing. 1 or 2 phones a year. It's a very limited effort.
    03-31-16 01:50 AM
    The bottom line here is the next couple quarterly results, if the device sales numbers don't show improvement, they are done.

Being in the auto industry, I have seen the same thing happen here, producing a product that doesn't sell. The end result was bankruptcy for GM and Chrysler.

Chen's first priority is to make the company solvent and have a continuous revenue stream to sustain their existence and if that means they no longer make devices and focus on security software solutions, then so be it.
    03-31-16 04:36 AM
    When did I say that?

Chen has said himself that he's not going to stay in handsets if he can't turn a profit on them, and that he was going to look at 2016's results to see if that profit comes. So, clearly, the handset business is potentially on the chopping block. It's also clearly not BB's focus - just look at the evidence. Offering "exclusives" when they need to sell as many as possible makes little sense. Very limited marketing. 1 or 2 phones a year. It's a very limited effort.
    Yes Chen did say that, but what you initially stated is BlackBerry board had "written off" the division prior to Chen even arriving and that they were just waiting out their contractual obligations.

Then when you were asked if that was the case then why release a device as recently as November, your response was "the Priv is android" . Not sure why that matters exactly? Not to mention that according to Ron Louks (not me and my own opinion) an android device had been in the work for about 2 years. Seems odd for a board to approve that kind of development and time for a division they had already "written off" and were just waiting out contractual obligations.

The bottom line is this Troy, you spend your time writing lengthy opinion pieces that you spin as pure fact with nothing to back up your claims.

03-31-16 07:52 AM
    The bottom line here is the next couple quarterly results, if the device sales numbers don't show improvement, they are done.

Being in the auto industry, I have seen the same thing happen here, producing a product that doesn't sell. The end result was bankruptcy for GM and Chrysler.

Chen's first priority is to make the company solvent and have a continuous revenue stream to sustain their existence and if that means they no longer make devices and focus on security software solutions, then so be it.
    Yes Chen himself said they won't stay in hardware if they can't make a profit. That is logical.

BerrySoul and bakron1 like this.
    03-31-16 07:55 AM
    The bottom line is this Troy, you spend your time writing lengthy opinion pieces that you spin as pure fact with nothing to back up your claims.
    I'm glad someone else sees this too. Too bad there isn't an ignore feature on this board, I would have added him and a few others to it long ago.
    03-31-16 09:01 PM
    I'm glad someone else sees this too. Too bad there isn't an ignore feature on this board, I would have added him and a few others to it long ago.
    Oh... but there is a ignore feature. Just click on the posters name.

Sometimes I think it's used way too much, as many here act like all is good with BB10 and BlackBerry hardware.
    04-01-16 08:32 AM
    Didn't you write the handset business off after the Z30 when you proclaimed it the last device BlackBerry would ever make?

I won't begin to say what will happen to the handset division because I don't know but everything you just stated about it is pure unsubstantiated opinion. You have a tendency to write these long posts where your opinion is stated as fact.

You are right and wrong at the same time.......I hate to say this but Chen is a serial...........well lets just say his is very short on facts and more to the fantasy island land. As for him being burned out, it must come from his commitments to sell dead hardware to the last few who might believe. That train has left the station a long time ago, the handset division is dead, if you do not advertise and price very high, with a ok product, lets guess what will happen.....tic tock.....tic tock.....you get a Priv.............and lots of commitment................so he talks about!

Woof!
    04-01-16 07:49 PM
    He is a loser for sure. Fail. Screwed up.

04-02-16 07:38 AM