I expect to see carrier release dates, pricing, and partner participation.

I'm not getting overhyped.
    Yep, that's about what one should expect from a four-hour event... ;-)
    01-03-13 01:22 PM
    Yep, that's about what one should expect from a four-hour event... ;-)
    The lesser the expectation the lesser possibility for disappointment.

Better to let the company do its thing than to pin hopes and expectations on random dubious sources....a friend who knows somebody whose third cousin works at the service station across from the RIM campus usually hasn't got reliable info.

I got burned on the "reports" of the 9780 coming to my carrier. Never again.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-03-13 01:32 PM
    I expect... General device and OS announcements - the big BB 10 platform reveal. Followed by device and OS capability and demonstrations. Then app partner announcements and any integrated capabilities and the new App World and major app list (most we may already know with new ones we hoped for but weren't sure of). Anything related to the PlayBook will follow, if not sprinkled throughout the presentation already. Then a final wrap up.

Carrier announcements, as they usually do, will follow separately later in the day with all the availability and pricing info.

That's my guess. I won't bother to speculate beyond that.
    peter9477 and jakie55 like this.
    01-03-13 02:49 PM
    I want the readers digest version....and as I will be working, will get it after the fact. I suspect Crackberry will have a full synopsis for my reading after the fact. (If I wasn't working, I would be absorbing every breath, hiccup, and um given.)
    01-04-13 01:33 AM
    Be very interesting if say Thor did say, "Available Now" and everyone started dialing up their carrier numbers asking if there are any BB10's in stock.
    01-04-13 01:53 AM
    Expectations?

RIM will launch a new platform that will catch the attention of the few hundred iPhone users who haven't been completely brainwashed by Apple and have come to terms with the outdated design of iOS.

The millions of BlackBerry users who have remained with the platform due to the ease of text editing will be sorely disappointed when they realize the trackpad will no longer be offered, and when they realize they'll be stuck with a touch-only way of editing text they'll either hold onto their phones without upgrading or switch platforms.

But hey, at least the kiddies will have Netflix.
    01-04-13 02:55 AM
    Expectations?
    The millions of BlackBerry users who have remained with the platform due to the ease of text editing will be sorely disappointed when they realize the trackpad will no longer be offered, and when they realize they'll be stuck with a touch-only way of editing text they'll either hold onto their phones without upgrading or switch platforms.
    Actually, does anybody know how text selection, copy, paste will work in the QWERTY model without touchpad? Right now, I use touchpad to bring cursor wherever I need, and then I keep shift (up-arrow) key pressed, while moving the cursor on the text I want to select.
    01-04-13 04:09 PM
    Probably long press the screen and the little handles show up?

jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 04:13 PM
    Actually, does anybody know how text selection, copy, paste will work in the QWERTY model without touchpad? Right now, I use touchpad to bring cursor wherever I need, and then I keep shift (up-arrow) key pressed, while moving the cursor on the text I want to select.
    The trackpad works so well because it's similar to a computer mouse in it's operation.

Probably long press the screen and the little handles show up?
    Probably, but have you tried this on any touch-screen phone? Any movement while you're holding and it thinks you're trying to drag. Those text selection handles are a nightmare to get where you want them to be.
    01-04-13 06:41 PM
    The trackpad works so well because it's similar to a computer mouse in it's operation.

Probably, but have you tried this on any touch-screen phone? Any movement while you're holding and it thinks you're trying to drag. Those text selection handles are a nightmare to get where you want them to be.
    Just a matter of getting used to it, really...I had a terrible time initially on my 3GS but I learned. No thought to it now.
    01-04-13 06:50 PM
    Product design 101: If a basic feature is so fiddly that it takes "getting used to it" then you did it wrong.
    01-04-13 07:06 PM
    I use it fine on the playbook!
    It's going to be crazy!!!!!!! They are going to name 30 Jan, blackberry day! Well maybe not eh lol
    Product design 101: If a basic feature is so fiddly that it takes "getting used to it" then you did it wrong.

No more fiddly than gestures on the Playbook....
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-04-13 07:15 PM
    Expectations?

RIM will launch a new platform that will catch the attention of the few hundred iPhone users who haven't been completely brainwashed by Apple and have come to terms with the outdated design of iOS.

But hey, at least the kiddies will have Netflix.
    Pretty sure all those iPhone users do EXACTLY the same thing, and they don't seem to be complaining. Get your thoughts in check.
    01-04-13 09:05 PM
    No more fiddly than gestures on the Playbook....
    The PlayBook is really fiddly for selecting text with the silly little blue arrow things.
    01-04-13 09:22 PM
    text selection for the N series will be just like any other touch screen device i would assume. it works fine if dont properly. The PB is not th best example as its much better on other devices really.
    01-04-13 09:27 PM
    Considering that Blackberry has less than 20 % of market share, I am sure that others have figured out how to work the touch screen for text editing. On the other hand, RIMM tends to meet the requirements for business very well.. Let us wait and see with baited breath....I know...not nearly as much fun.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-04-13 09:48 PM
    Considering that Blackberry has less than 20 % of market share, I am sure that others have figured out how to work the touch screen for text editing. On the other hand, RIMM tends to meet the requirements for business very well.. Let us wait and see with baited breath....I know...not nearly as much fun.
    That's not the point. I, and a lot of BlackBerry users, have stayed with RIM because it provided us with an amazing keyboard and ability to do simple things faster. Such as editing text, copy, pasting on a Bold is so much faster than any touch screen device.

On iPhone, for example, you hover over text, keep touch screen pressed, and then copy/paste menu pops-up. Whereas in BB Bold, I start selecting right away. Don't have to wait for some menu to pop-up. So, yes, there is a way to do copy/paste and edit text on touch-screen, but the BB Bold way is better/more efficient/faster in my opinion.

So, what I am pondering over is this: if RIM is removing touchpad (from QWERTY version), is it going to make text-editing less efficient (as is the case with touch-screen devices) or is there going to be another way/work-around that will allow us to do it as fast as we can on Bold 9900.
    ssbtech and magutwit like this.
    01-04-13 10:01 PM
    I want the Transform OEM case to actually be a sliding keyboard with touchpad.
    01-04-13 10:37 PM
    There will be a learning curve. No pun intended. But if the OS is as intuitive as everyone says it won't be a bad one.
    However, I do have the feeling that the better experience will be on the Z10. I've gotten used to touchscreen thanks to my SGIII and my 4S.

01-05-13 09:14 AM
    double post

01-05-13 09:15 AM
97 ... 234