So we have a lot of aspects to look at when judging which company will come out on top. I've put some thought into it and I think it will boil down to one thing. The name.

Based on the naming of these brands I think the two winners will be Apple and Blackberry. Its as simple as this, most people like apples, most people like blackberries. They are sweet, fruit that are good for you. They both benefit from alliteration making them poetically pleasing to hear as well. A smaller portion (Techy people) will still go for android/droid since its more tech sounding (I'd argue it is more 'techy' since its more open and it seems you can do more homebrew type stuff with it). Windows phone will fail just cause its name pales in comparison to the competition (personally I like windows and I wouldn't mind having one of their phones, it just comes up short here).

I guess winning should be defined as leading in sales and to have this you'd obviously want to aim for the largest user segment possible, the average consumer and the most basic item about a phone someone can know is its name. I'd argue all these platforms will evolve to wear they basically do the same thing, some doing somethings better than others and vice versa, and that has somewhat already happened.

So whats the biggest single flaw in this new system for who will win? is it perfect? Do people think the name matters at all? How big or small of a factor is the name? Think anyone goes it asking for an iphone (I guess I should have taken that name into account) thinking they are just asking for a phone? Think people ask for droid not really knowing what they are asking for after seeing it in a commercial? Think people going in asking for a blackberry and expect to get fruit?

TL;DR

How important is the brand Name?
    Speedygi likes this.
    09-20-12 12:36 AM
    Having a Brand that people can relate to is important. WP screems yesterdays daddy! the fruit and the bot have a better chance if a name were all that mattered.
    Waiting on a dish of BlackBerrys now!
    09-20-12 02:46 AM
    So a trinity of devices smartphone, surface tablet and PC OS with a billion dollar marketing campaign... all kicking off in less than a month?

A very decent smartphone from Nokia, Samsung jumping on board with Win 8 and HTC too.

All functioning with 'Office', Skype and Skydrive and backed by soild email infrastructure...

Hide your head in the sand, but MS W8 devices will soon take 3rd spot behind Apple and in time I hope 2nd or 1st.

I would like RIMM to get their act together, but hold very little hope.
    09-20-12 06:35 AM
    I don't see why this kind of thinking actually matters to anyone unless you choose your smartphone (or form in depth opinions) based on sales and market positions. The most "popular" (read: highest selling) devices on the market still don't offer me a qwerty worth a d*mn, how bout that?
    Why should it be relevant to me as to who's "on top?" I'm not attacking, I just wish I could understand since this is what so many here like talking about all the time.

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    09-20-12 06:55 AM
    I will never understand what you people are talking about when you say 'winning smartphone war'. This smarphone 'war' is more of contunuous battles in which we constantly have different player on top. So temporary top player can only be temporary winner.
    jegs2 and VanTryumf like this.
    09-20-12 06:58 AM
    I don't see why this kind of thinking actually matters to anyone unless you choose your smartphone (or form in depth opinions) based on sales and market positions. The most "popular" (read: highest selling) devices on the market still don't offer me a qwerty worth a d*mn, how bout that?
    Why should it be relevant to me as to who's "on top?" I'm not attacking, I just wish I could understand since this is what so many here like talking about all the time.

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    I agree in full... however it matters if your choice in good hardware is at the bottom of that list and are likely to become unable to innovate for you in the future.
    09-20-12 07:33 AM
    If I could add this to the discussion brand loyalty plays a part with the android platform offering so many choices it waters down the loyalty apple i think has its loyal customers but how many would jump ship the 1st chance they got to get the latest new thing?
    I have used bb for years and before coming here I had no idea the rabid loyalty the passion people have for their device's the passion for the brand BlackBerry must be still doing somthing right and with this base I think that bb will not go quietly into that goodnight.
    09-20-12 08:06 AM
    call this post trolling or whatever you want to make yourself feel better but...

Until people are also lining up DAYS before for a blackberry/samsung/WP8 launch at stores all around the world, Apple is always going to be winning. FACT
    09-20-12 08:17 AM
    call this post trolling or whatever you want to make yourself feel better but...

Until people are also lining up DAYS before for a blackberry/samsung/WP8 launch at stores all around the world, Apple is always going to be winning. FACT
    So we need to get a bunch of pathetic losers to fall in love with Blackberry who think camping in front of store days before a release is cool and hip just to be the first to have a phone that many will have a couple days later

Wow what has the world come to! I thought camping was to get away from technology, not to purchase it!
    Dapper37, VanTryumf and esk369 like this.
    09-20-12 08:30 AM

I wouldn't argue that point because it is in fact true for now and the foreseeable future I just think a large part of there customers would jump ship for the next latest greatest.
    As I said personally I think bb has for the most part the most loyal costomers.
    09-20-12 08:33 AM
    I will never understand what you people are talking about when you say 'winning smartphone war'. This smarphone 'war' is more of contunuous battles in which we constantly have different player on top. So temporary top player can only be temporary winner.
    Problem is, you can lose and go out of business, never to fight another battle.
    That is what RIM's main priority should be: To stop the slide and stabilize itself.
    I think BB10 and the new handsets have a good chance of doing that and that is why I have bought some shares at the current low price.
    You can't win if you are not in the game.
    09-20-12 09:21 AM

There are very few things I would stand in line for days for and a new phone is not one of them. BB people are not the kind of people to stand in line for the latest release. We are to smart for that.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    09-20-12 10:18 AM
    There are very few things I would stand in line for days for and a new phone is not one of them. BB people are not the kind of people to stand in line for the latest release. We are to smart for that.
    True for that, but when it comes to Auto or Book signing or even a New Movie coming out at Midnight, uhh that's a different story, lol.
    09-20-12 10:26 AM
    There is room on the market for three OSs imo.

1. ios
    2. Android
    3. Windows Phone
    09-20-12 10:27 AM
    The thing I always wonder when I see a bunch of people camped out for days to get a new whatever is how can they spend so much time away from work? I wouldnt blow my vacation on that. Or how do they pay for it it if they dont work?
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    09-20-12 10:28 AM
    That is what RIM's main priority should be: To stop the slide and stabilize itself.
    I think BB10 and the new handsets have a good chance of doing that and that is why I have bought some shares at the current low price.

Winner is the person that remains last standing when game is over. So unless one company puts everyone else out of business or smarphone game ends there is no winner. However there can be loosers, those that get shut down/quit the game. RIM can be profitable company even in 3rd or 4th place. Kind of like all the places that sell burgers, many are profitable but they are not MacDonalds.
    09-20-12 10:46 AM
    You know, I still think coexistence, and I compare it to all the automotive manufacturers out there. To think there can only be a "top #" devices is pretty ridiculous, and an almost child-like mentality. You know... When you think about it...
    09-20-12 05:04 PM
    So a trinity of devices smartphone, surface tablet and PC OS with a billion dollar marketing campaign... all kicking off in less than a month?

A very decent smartphone from Nokia, Samsung jumping on board with Win 8 and HTC too.

All functioning with 'Office', Skype and Skydrive and backed by soild email infrastructure...

Hide your head in the sand, but MS W8 devices will soon take 3rd spot behind Apple and in time I hope 2nd or 1st.

I would like RIMM to get their act together, but hold very little hope.
    they've always been on board the WP platform, they just never sold, HTC used to be all windows phone and used to have the stylus

also a billion i would assume is beign spread between XBOX, Windows8 and Windows Phone8
    09-20-12 06:26 PM
    What are you trying to win? You just threw your money away on those shares.LOL
    09-20-12 07:18 PM
    What are you trying to win? You just threw your money away on those shares.LOL
    lol at these prices if they sell off pieces of the company the shares would be worth alot more and you'd make money :P
    09-20-12 08:24 PM
    OMG. are you actually being serious, seriously? You're basically saying that people that lined up for the iPhone 5 and for the past releases are idiots, not smart, stupid? its not a matter of being smart or not, its a matter of Apple being extremely good at marketing their product. I guarantee you if it was the other way around and blackberry was in the iphones position i.e. everyone lining up on launch day for it, you wouldnt be calling those people idiots would you? most rediculous RIM fanboy response ive ever heard
    09-21-12 01:29 AM
    OMG. are you actually being serious, seriously? You're basically saying that people that lined up for the iPhone 5 and for the past releases are idiots, not smart, stupid? its not a matter of being smart or not, its a matter of Apple being extremely good at marketing their product. I guarantee you if it was the other way around and blackberry was in the iphones position i.e. everyone lining up on launch day for it, you wouldnt be calling those people idiots would you? most rediculous RIM fanboy response ive ever heard
    This forum is where "fanboy" started. I've figured out who will win the smartphone wars. It was between Apple & Samsung, and i believe that Samsung won. Rim wasn't even in the race.LOL
    09-21-12 08:50 AM
    Agreed with the point there isn't a war. Think some apple shareholders think different cause they don't want to see any threat to their over-priced shares.

RIMs will likely enter markets that the others have no chance of touching.
    09-21-12 11:08 PM
    There is room on the market for three OSs imo.

1. ios
    2. Android
    3. Windows Phone

Boo urns!!!...ios will not survive the NFC boom. you can argue all you wish, however Apple has made a grave error in leaving out NFC from the iphone. The communication abilities of a phone will always be the major factor that a PHONE is meant to achieve. Look at the ratings for reception and quality signal to noise stats between the major players and RIMM takes the stage front. The other note, Apple has been fooling their customers and as any empire before it the Apple will fall and rot in a BOLD sun.
    09-21-12 11:44 PM
    Agreed with the point there isn't a war. Think some apple shareholders think different cause they don't want to see any threat to their over-priced shares.

RIMs will likely enter markets that the others have no chance of touching.
    And which market/markets is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-22-12 12:03 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD