I think the BB brand is still well respected in Canada, the UK and Europe, even if they are not selling high end phones there.
    It is mainly the US where people think so little of them.
    I agree, I see bb everywhere, I look around when I'm out and everyone has one. My son just started high school with 3500 students. He told me 80% of his classmates and faculty have bb. He also says they are recent model 9900 etc. The kids love them, he told me kids that have iphones feel left out of the bbm jams.
    09-20-12 06:36 PM
    for some reason i'm saddened by this post but i have hope for RIM's BB10 and it's future.
    09-20-12 06:45 PM
    The American media has been hitting RIM over the head for years so this image would stick. To a great degree it will. For a time, until and if the product has true advantage!
    09-20-12 07:11 PM
    I've had a Dev Alpha for months (I was actually the 5th person in line to receive one at BlackBerry Jam in Orlando) and since I've had it I've been doing an experiment with random people.

I loaded my Dev Alpha up with apps and the PlayBook HD demo video, then I let total strangers at wireless carrier stores (shoppers, employees and even a VZW store manager) use it. I just got up to random people and I ask them if they would like to try out an unreleased, development smartphone that isn't finished yet. I explain that isn't a retail product and it never will be and that once a version of it is released it will look completely different. All of that good stuff, I just don't say who it is made by. The people have no idea it is a BlackBerry until they have had a chance to play with it and I get their opinion of the device.

Most of the people I have asked have agreed to play with it and the results are pretty funny and depressing at the same time. Each time I have done this experiment the same thing happens. I walk them through how to use it a little bit. I let them play some games, I show them the incredible multitasking, they surf the internet some and watch the PlayBook HD demo video (started by me and skipped to avoid the first few seconds). After they've spent 5 or so minutes with the device I simply ask "What do you think of it and would you buy it?"

The compliments flood in. People have told me that they love the speed it has. That it is the best looking display they have ever seen. They love the browser. One person commented on literally being blown away by the multitasking. Pretty much everyone said they would either buy it or strongly consider buy it if it was released right now. A few mentioned the bugs that do happen on a Dev Alpha, but they were understanding about them because it isn't finished yet. It was universally liked or LOVED by everyone I've ever let play with it.

Then I tell them it's a BlackBerry and remove the skin to show them the BlackBerry logo on the back. Immediately after, they all change their minds about the Dev Alpha. One women simply rolled her eyes at me and said "BlackBerry is worse than a dumb phone, no way would I ever own one". I pointed out to her that she just told me she loved it and she literally walked away from me in disgust without saying another word.

Not everyone I've done that to has been so rude about it, but they've all turned negative as soon as I told them it was a BlackBerry. Every single one of them. One person was kinda nice by saying "that's a really nice phone, but it's a BlackBerry" Most just repeat the same non sense we always here - BlackBerry is about to go bankrupt. They have no apps. Android is better.

I just find it really strange that people really liked a BlackBerry until they found out it was a BlackBerry. This negative sentiment is really going to hurt BlackBerry 10 if RIM doesn't do something to drastically change the opinions of the masses. Thoughts?
    "This needs to be heard, the news needs to be spread. I'm going to Twit/FaceBook/Print this. The ideology that everything BlackBerry is futile needs to be abolished. Regardless what the phone looks like. BlackBerry still is very powerful if not the most powerful mobile device in terms of hardware and software"
    Neely2005 likes this.
    09-20-12 08:27 PM
    I think the BB brand is still well respected in Canada, the UK and Europe, even if they are not selling high end phones there.
    It is mainly the US where people think so little of them.
    Definitely not in my region of Canada, or, if sales are to be believed, in any region of Canada.
    09-20-12 08:45 PM
    Your experiment tells me that we don't need people like the idiots you encountered using BlackBerry's. Otherwise, RIM will be forced to dumb BBOS down to the same level of iOS. I'd rather use a phone with a smaller, more exclusive market share than be another zombie in the iOS camp.
    lucky--lad likes this.
    09-20-12 11:33 PM
    I've had a Dev Alpha for months (I was actually the 5th person in line to receive one at BlackBerry Jam in Orlando) and since I've had it I've been doing an experiment with random people.

I loaded my Dev Alpha up with apps and the PlayBook HD demo video, then I let total strangers at wireless carrier stores (shoppers, employees and even a VZW store manager) use it. I just got up to random people and I ask them if they would like to try out an unreleased, development smartphone that isn't finished yet. I explain that isn't a retail product and it never will be and that once a version of it is released it will look completely different. All of that good stuff, I just don't say who it is made by. The people have no idea it is a BlackBerry until they have had a chance to play with it and I get their opinion of the device.

Most of the people I have asked have agreed to play with it and the results are pretty funny and depressing at the same time. Each time I have done this experiment the same thing happens. I walk them through how to use it a little bit. I let them play some games, I show them the incredible multitasking, they surf the internet some and watch the PlayBook HD demo video (started by me and skipped to avoid the first few seconds). After they've spent 5 or so minutes with the device I simply ask "What do you think of it and would you buy it?"

The compliments flood in. People have told me that they love the speed it has. That it is the best looking display they have ever seen. They love the browser. One person commented on literally being blown away by the multitasking. Pretty much everyone said they would either buy it or strongly consider buy it if it was released right now. A few mentioned the bugs that do happen on a Dev Alpha, but they were understanding about them because it isn't finished yet. It was universally liked or LOVED by everyone I've ever let play with it.

Then I tell them it's a BlackBerry and remove the skin to show them the BlackBerry logo on the back. Immediately after, they all change their minds about the Dev Alpha. One women simply rolled her eyes at me and said "BlackBerry is worse than a dumb phone, no way would I ever own one". I pointed out to her that she just told me she loved it and she literally walked away from me in disgust without saying another word.

Not everyone I've done that to has been so rude about it, but they've all turned negative as soon as I told them it was a BlackBerry. Every single one of them. One person was kinda nice by saying "that's a really nice phone, but it's a BlackBerry" Most just repeat the same non sense we always here - BlackBerry is about to go bankrupt. They have no apps. Android is better.

I just find it really strange that people really liked a BlackBerry until they found out it was a BlackBerry. This negative sentiment is really going to hurt BlackBerry 10 if RIM doesn't do something to drastically change the opinions of the masses. Thoughts?

You should share your experience with RIM so they make sure that this nonsense will taken care of during BB10 marketing ads. Just like samsung does to iphone. BB10 marketing must be top notch
    09-21-12 01:12 AM
    Ditch the old names and come out with new ones! Like Nevada, London etc! I don't think using names from the past will help at all. They have to rebrand themselves into something different, something positive, exciting, new, vibrant etc. Bringing the old names back just brings back bad memories to some. Start with a clean slate!
    lucky--lad likes this.
    09-21-12 08:49 PM
    That was a fantastic idea. So the bad image of the brand is as real as the current stock price.

RIM has definitely a challenge here.
    09-21-12 08:57 PM
    Your experiment tells me that we don't need people like the idiots you encountered using BlackBerry's. Otherwise, RIM will be forced to dumb BBOS down to the same level of iOS. I'd rather use a phone with a smaller, more exclusive market share than be another zombie in the iOS camp.
    And maybe thats what they need to do. They can be a very successful line focusing on high margin, upscale products with limited market share as opposed to chasing market share at the expense of profit.

Thats how Apple built their line. By focusing on building something unique and not chasing lower and lower prices.
    09-21-12 09:18 PM
    And maybe thats what they need to do. They can be a very successful line focusing on high margin, upscale products with limited market share as opposed to chasing market share at the expense of profit.

Thats how Apple built their line. By focusing on building something unique and not chasing lower and lower prices.
    BUT you have to remember, that Apple copied other designs from different companies and improved them as "revolutionary."
    09-21-12 10:11 PM
    Ummmm u do know those "idiots" are a very high percentage of the american market right? Its not a matter of RIM needing to dumb down to IOS to attract these people. The BlackBerry brand is simply damaged in the publics mind and that's going to be extremely hard to overturn. RIM won't survive having a exclusive market in the US. And I have to ask.....what if RIM makes a comeback and gains a huge share of the market? Will all those BB users be zombies like u refer to IOS users? Not trying to argue, its just a legit question. Apple surely has its fair share of zombies but I don't think its hard to just agree that many people chose a iPhone because "it just works".

I think ultimately, this (great) experiment just shows how hard it is to reverse peoples minds once they have any kind of negative feeling towards a brand. I'm sure almost everyone has a brand in here that they just ddon't desire to use....and even if that brand were to produce a great product unlike any rival in that market, you still would require a incredible amount of convincing before your were to even try the product out. RIM will need some serious magic to reverse this because I know of many people that say BB's "suck" even though they've never used one. I agree that RIM will most likely need to license BB10 out to someone like Samsung or even HTC. At this point, I just don't know if RIM can tackle this problem all on their own.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-21-12 10:53 PM
    totally agree. perception changes like underwear. put your best product out and, wait for it, MARKET. i don't think there is near the excitement over the iphone 5 but all the press releases went out as if this is something new and amazing. spend some money on marketing and perception changes.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    09-21-12 11:13 PM
    i remember apple was a has been computer company at one time with no money. what is necessary for rim to do well is if the powers that be want to build it. many companies that rise and fall usually fall because major share holders, CEOs, etc are not interested in that particular company doing well. the interest is making money right now. building and rebuilding a company is a lot of work and requires time therefore the qiuck sell of is very enticing. from what i have seen i think there is an interest in bb doing well at the top. something that confounding to me is the total lack of any marketing strategy. i would think that this will change with bb10 launch, but i was wrong one time before, you cant walk down the street naked in Vegas as long as you have a doctors note. haha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    09-21-12 11:33 PM
    I'm pretty sure OP is shi**ing all over the NDA they made him sign with his actions, it sure doesn't sound kosher to me...

OP: Didn't you have to sign an NDA, whether specific or generic, when you got your developer phone?
    09-21-12 11:39 PM
    Great work!! Besides a marketing experiment it shows also one of the most basic mechanisms of the human brain: fit into the group and dont wander too much from the group. I think the people involved and first strongly rejected the BB, may think a lot milder sitting on their couch with their mug of coffee that evening and rethinking the experiment. Although impossible, it would have been nice to interview them a few days later and ask them if they changed their mind and to what degree. I think the conclusions would be a lot more positive coz besides handeling on instincts people are also able to learn from past experiences.
    09-22-12 01:31 AM
    I'm pretty sure OP is shi**ing all over the NDA they made him sign with his actions, it sure doesn't sound kosher to me...

OP: Didn't you have to sign an NDA, whether specific or generic, when you got your developer phone?
    No it's not a non disclosure agreement. The agreement you sign for the Dev Alpha is no where near as strict as that. The only part of the Dev Alpha agreement that is concerning is that you are not supposed to publicly release information about it. CrackBerry did that before we even left Orlando

Some may remember that BGR got all sad because RIM wouldn't give him a Dev Alpha. That was because the press wasn't really supposed to have them. But I am a real developer with several apps in BlackBerry App World. So they were cool and let me have one. Other websites also left with a Dev Alpha, I don't know if they were told what I was told. But Alec Saunders himself told me I had to agree to not publish any photos of it's software on the site after I left Orlando. I haven't done that, even though a lot of the other sites with one has.

See during BBWC they took Dev Alphas to the press room and we were allowed to photograph it all we want. BUT those press room photos were all we was supposed to use (according to what I was told) on our sites. That is where BGR got their photos of it and that is why whenever BGR talks about BB10 they always recycle the same few photos of the Dev Alpha.

So I think I've done pretty good at keeping my agreement. The BlackBerry blogs have show the Dev Alpha off to a heck of a lot more people than I have.
    Superfly_FR and Neely2005 like this.
    09-22-12 09:19 AM
    The OP and other devs with devices, should give this a try again with the new OS update and see what responses will be now

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Neely2005 likes this.
    09-25-12 11:22 PM
    I don't know what's more astonishing, the Dev Alpha's awesome capabilities or those people's abilities to backtrack on their words at record speed. smh
    Neely2005 likes this.
    09-25-12 11:39 PM
    The OP and other devs with devices, should give this a try again with the new OS update and see what responses will be now

OMG Definitely, OP You should check into this!!!!

It can be like Experiment Number II, or Part 2, or 2.1 something.
    09-26-12 01:52 AM
    I don't know what's more astonishing, the Dev Alpha's awesome capabilities or those people's abilities to backtrack on their words at record speed. smh

lol right, but phone freezes burned a bad experience in people's mind

09-26-12 06:15 AM
    Sadly, the update makes doing the most important part of this experiment impossible. The older OS made it very easy to hide what kind of device it was. Now my Dev Alpha has BlackBerry Messenger and BlackBerry App World on it. And if you swipe the wrong way you go to a screen that says "Coming Soon... The BlackBerry Hub" in big ole letters.

The new update is awesome. I love it. The battery lasts several times longer, it doesn't get hot anymore, BBM has never been better and the gestures are so awesome feeling to use. Unfortunately, showing people the cool stuff from this update would easily reveal that this is a BlackBerry now.
    09-26-12 07:17 AM
    Just shows how materialistic people are. If someone put Apple on a brick people would use it to build houses and what have you not. A shame, I think you should try and get word of this out to some execs at RIM if you can it might help them think about what they are doing in terms of naming the device. I think it would safe if RIM just name it in big letters LONDON than just Blackberry London.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are Apple ***** like these.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMsLArefSOw[/YT]
    09-26-12 07:36 AM
    this is a great thread, and berryboba that was great that you did this. This is true, when people find out its a blackberry they want to run. Its that simple. I wonder what RIM will do about it. Also is RIM even aware that people feel this way about their product?
    09-26-12 01:23 PM

The problem wasn't the software though..as the OP stated how impressed people were with that aspect of it. What sent them running for the hills was the branding. Much like a hot chick at a party looking all impressive until she opens her mouth revealing a set of manglers.

IF this experiment was as bad as the OP says, then it's going to be a LONG time before BB turns it around. I'd say probably at least a year after BB10 is released (which is still 5-8 months away), with extremely positive results, before the general consumer even THINKS about going back to a BB.
    09-26-12 01:45 PM
120 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD