Had BB in past gave it up for several reasons and went to a PPC. My wife jumped to an 8130 about that same time.

She uses hers as a phone primarily and email device 2nd. with almost no internet. I on the other hand use mine for sms,email primarily and internet and phone tied for 2nd. Battery life on mine sucks and being a WinMo phone it is also WAY quirky even with custom ROMs installed to tweak out all the bad or removed features from Alltel/WinMo.

The quirkiness is getting to me and I'm jealous of my wife's battery life. ( I have 2 extended batteries and switch them out during the day. 50-100 txts and 10-20 emails a day 1-2 phone calls and 2-10minutes of web. it'll drain just sitting there doing nothing)

SO, I'm now considering a move back after a few years and I am SO out of touch. I did a cursory search. and did not come up with any goldmines so I thought I toss it out to anyone who might be generous enough to help me get caught back up. I know an hour or two of reading might get me there, but I just don't have the battery life for that.

My issues in the past were:
    no threaded sms
    no html email (
    fixed now I think on wife's 8130 OS4.5)
    no native pdf/doc support
    no alerts for missed messages (had to use berrybuzz to finally configure it)
    no functional profile changer (had to add profiler for that)
    very difficult custom ringtone settings (finally got wife's working but it ignores profiles--if set to silent and I call,txt,email it still plays my tone)

these were/are my issues. pdf reading ability is a must, i use the multiple times a day. threaded sms is highly desired.
    most of the others are very highly desired but not deal breakers.

A friend suggested an 8830 (with OS5) to accomplish the threaded sms but wasn't sure about pdfs or many of the others. (his is primarily a phone)

so have these issues been resolved? are they just not issues to anyone but me? I really like the intuitive format of my WinMo but hate it's reliability. I want/"need" all the features above but not sure if I can get them on a no hackable phone.

thanks and again, sorry, I know with time I might have been able to compile all this but I thought I toss it out these and someone could help me out. I'll start searching as battery life permits.

Shawn
    02-19-10 05:01 AM
    I think the 9700 addresses most of your needs
    02-19-10 06:37 AM
    My issues in the past were:
    no threaded sms
    no html email (
    fixed now I think on wife's 8130 OS4.5)
    no native pdf/doc support
    no alerts for missed messages (had to use berrybuzz to finally configure it)
    no functional profile changer (had to add profiler for that)
    very difficult custom ringtone settings (finally got wife's working but it ignores profiles--if set to silent and I call,txt,email it still plays my tone)

Shawn

- OS 5.0 has threaded SMS. IT is built into the BBM system, so they have the same look and feel.
    - BBs will display HTML e-mail natively (you have to tell it to download pics). Sending e-mail is still text only (no html there yet).
    - E-mail attachments support .doc and .pdf files natively. You can view these as attachments to e-mail without a 3rd party app. A free version of DocsToGo comes standard on most BBs now, so you can view Word, Excel, and PowerPoint outside of the e-mail app (the premium version includes creating new documents and a PDF viewer).
    - BerryBuzz is what you would need for this.
    - Profiles can be changed by clicking on the appropriate button depending on your theme. Most have a profile icon to click on and change. You can also use a 3rd party app like Profiler.
    - You can go into a person's profile and change their ringtone, or you can go into the profile listing and create exceptions.

Several of the options that you want are available through 3rd party apps. That's the good thing about BB - you can choose what functionality you want included, and there are many 3rd party options to help you customize it.
    02-19-10 06:45 AM
    thanks.
    so the 8330 or 8530 with os5 will accomplish threaded sms.
    or any device with 5.0 but BBM is more of an IM client not a txt message program correct?sorry never really used bb messenger.
    I guess i was just hoping for native auto profile switching and html email but i guess i'll deal with 3rd party software.
    as for custom ringtones on my wife's curve i had to create exceptions and it took some trial/error but it was not as easy as just adding a ringtone for a user.

thanks for the information. saved me lots of time.
    Posted from my WinMo device at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 10:19 AM
    OS 5.0 combined with BBM 5 adds threaded SMS. You can even add SMS contacts to your BBM contact list, making it just one click on them to start sending SMS messages.

There is a 5.0 leak for the 8330, so hopefully that Curve will get 5.0. The 8530 should already have 5.0.
    02-19-10 10:45 AM
    Awesome thanks
    I'll look into that. Not up for new phone anytime soon and likely won't get a subsidy phone from verizon anyway. I have a great plan I carried over from alltel so I'll probably just buy phones outright for as long as they will still allow me to do ESN changes without fees or changes in my service. so lots of good deals on 8830s and 8530s.
    Posted from my iPod touch at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD