the iPod wasn't even in the top 10 quality hardware devices on the market when it launched, but it was the only one with a music ecosystem, and an advertising budget.
    How could a music player which lacks a "music ecosystem" be considered objectively inferior to devices that do not? Perhaps you have an explanation, but that statement alone doesn't make any sense.
    02-20-12 10:31 AM
    There are now over 75 million accounts on iTunes linked to credit cards.
    Apple Now Has 200 Million iTunes Accounts, Biggest Credit Card Hub On Web

Getting to one billion iTunes accounts
    App Store To Reach 25 Billion Downloads
    iTunes Store Tops 10 Billion Songs Sold

We all know the effect of not having an iTunes like setup has on the competitors.
    Not a big fan of the methodology with how things get synced in iTunes, but am a fan of the smart playlist feature. If used properly on a large music/video collection it's very useful.
    02-20-12 10:39 AM
    Some of you guys are hilarious honestly making me laugh. So if I am paying a butload $100 plus for cable and I record it through my computer I am a pirate now!.. you are turning me wanting to share a FILE, through itunes into a pirating argument. If this was even a picture I would be writing the exact same thing. For instance yesterday I was using gimp (this is an open source free program not a pirated photoshop program if anyone is wondering haha) and I needed a photo off of my playbook. easy wireless go into the folder drag and drop, honestly can't get much easier than that. With iTunes 3 to 4 steps later and a lot more time to get any file. I completely agree that many love itunes, I have gotten probably 100+ songs off of itunes and think it is great for that. My point is I HATE that everything is through itunes, if they want the media tv shows, movies, music, then fine but let me have a better way of getting to my documents NOT through iTunes.
    02-20-12 12:30 PM
    I did LOL outloud at the ridiculously improbable hyperbolic thread title. Any day now, Apple will suffer for imposing iTunes on the self-declared experts... any day now, it's coming...
    You just made me feel a little stupid! haha I had to look up hyperbolic

OP tried to steal some TV episodes, and got defeated by ITunes copy protection...
    OP believes this is a great injustice, swears revenge on DRM, and believes this will lead to a complete collapse of Apples entire ecosystem.

Sure it will...

Move on folks, nothingto see here...

Protip: If steal, eh, sharing stuff is important to you OP, then just jailbreak it. You'll be able to download all the warez, movies etc. your heart desires. And you'll be able to use bit torrent, copy and drag files, and use third party programs instead of itunes.
    I just read a full page of your posts and not one of them was for blackberry... all apple and android so this post doesn't surprise me one bit!
    Last edited by shn; 02-20-12 at 12:40 PM.
    02-20-12 12:33 PM
    I can't stand iTunes or BB DM, but the former serves its purpose as a management hub, and the new OTA functionality makes it bearable.
    02-20-12 12:40 PM
    My point is I HATE that everything is through itunes, if they want the media tv shows, movies, music, then fine but let me have a better way of getting to my documents NOT through iTunes.
    I agree that Apple does need to add more functionality to iTunes, there needs to be a better way to drop documents or files onto an iDevice. I was utterly confused on how to save something as simple as a PDF on my iPad. Eventually figured out I can use Dropbox or just email stuff to myself, then save the file using an appropriate app, but iTunes should have more flexibility to drag and drops documents and save them on an iDevice. Or maybe it already does and I'm just a dumba**.
    02-20-12 12:57 PM
    If this was even a picture I would be writing the exact same thing.
    No, you wouldn't. Photographs generally aren't DRM'd.

For instance yesterday I was using gimp (this is an open source free program not a pirated photoshop program if anyone is wondering haha) and I needed a photo off of my playbook. easy wireless go into the folder drag and drop, honestly can't get much easier than that. With iTunes 3 to 4 steps later and a lot more time to get any file.
    This would be a stronger argument if iTunes were the only option. Hint: it's not.

My point is I HATE that everything is through itunes
    If your point was that *you* hate iTunes, why did you title the thread "iTunes is Apple's downfall"? Why not add the "for me" at the end, if your point was only that you hate iTunes?

if they want the media tv shows, movies, music, then fine but let me have a better way of getting to my documents NOT through iTunes.
    I guess it's a good thing only a handful of people want media like tv shows, music and movies. As for documents, it sounds like Apple needs some kind of cloud service that allows documents to be synchronized. . .they might even call it something like, oh I don't know, iCloud.
    CrackedBarry, vrs626 and Yaceka like this.
    02-20-12 01:07 PM
    Some of you guys are hilarious honestly making me laugh. So if I am paying a butload $100 plus for cable and I record it through my computer I am a pirate now!.. you are turning me wanting to share a FILE, through itunes into a pirating argument. If this was even a picture I would be writing the exact same thing. For instance yesterday I was using gimp (this is an open source free program not a pirated photoshop program if anyone is wondering haha) and I needed a photo off of my playbook. easy wireless go into the folder drag and drop, honestly can't get much easier than that. With iTunes 3 to 4 steps later and a lot more time to get any file. I completely agree that many love itunes, I have gotten probably 100+ songs off of itunes and think it is great for that. My point is I HATE that everything is through itunes, if they want the media tv shows, movies, music, then fine but let me have a better way of getting to my documents NOT through iTunes.
    In the beginning Apple may not have really like iTunes either, but they had to come up with a ecosystem that allowed them to meet the requirements of the content providers copyright requirements but still provide users with a way to get content.

But at least Apple has someway for users to get content without having to "find" the content somewhere and then try to download or copy it and then try to format it to your screen size and then hope you have the right codecs.... no Apple doesn't have to worry about iTunes.
    02-20-12 01:08 PM
    Can you give TV content to another user? I thought that purchased video content could only be shared through the same iTunes log-in to keep folks from buying 1 copy and giving it to 1 million friends.

Someone help me out here.
    He never said he bought em from itunes.
    I agree that itunes is junky. I use after market software to interface with idevices. If your interested copytrans and ifunbox is 2 explorer type programs to interface with idevices.
    02-20-12 01:26 PM
    I agree that Apple does need to add more functionality to iTunes, there needs to be a better way to drop documents or files onto an iDevice. I was utterly confused on how to save something as simple as a PDF on my iPad. Eventually figured out I can use Dropbox or just email stuff to myself, then save the file using an appropriate app, but iTunes should have more flexibility to drag and drops documents and save them on an iDevice. Or maybe it already does and I'm just a dumba**.
    Drag and Drop files using Itunes
    02-20-12 01:38 PM
    No, you wouldn't. Photographs generally aren't DRM'd.
    Itunes has nothing to do with DRM. So yes he would. If you don't already know you can encode any file and use itunes to put it on your device. That is clearly what the OP is talking about. Itunes is the very last software you want to try to use to steal anything. Its weak, a resource hog. Just the way apple made it. Apple made it that way to enforce its restrictions.
    But what te OP I talking about is the sluggish nightware that you have to go tbru to use itunes to put a file on your device. Unlike everything else in the world you just plug in your USB cord mount the device and drag and drop and done. Why is everyone branded as a theif when they don't like itunes. Hmmm I get it. An itheif. Bahahaha
    shn'g likes this.
    02-20-12 01:39 PM
    Thank you. And thank you for pointing out that I am indeed a dumba**
    shn'g likes this.
    02-20-12 01:54 PM
    i guess for me rims montly bb fee is the downfall as me as a customer.
    (its not only 5/month but reducing the my options far more. i have to pay at least 10 per month more for my contract excl. the 5 bb option as i would have eith any other device)

btw tried to load with linux? not sp.easy as the pb is not a storagedrive, sadly...

oh and i personally hate the desktop manager but i dont know how anybody can life without a pc. for me the pb is not really close as a replacement (currently my pc is broken and have only pb and old laptop with old version of ubuntu, nah, hopefully the new one is comming soon )
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 02-20-12 at 02:00 PM.
    shn'g likes this.
    02-20-12 01:56 PM
    I knew photos were a bad example, and yes I know there are other ways such as dropbox but it still is not the same. I will look at some of the programs mentioned.
    Itunes has nothing to do with DRM. So yes he would. If you don't already know you can encode any file and use itunes to put it on your device. That is clearly what the OP is talking about. Itunes is the very last software you want to try to use to steal anything. Its weak, a resource hog. Just the way apple made it. Apple made it that way to enforce its restrictions.
    But what te OP I talking about is the sluggish nightware that you have to go tbru to use itunes to put a file on your device. Unlike everything else in the world you just plug in your USB cord mount the device and drag and drop and done. Why is everyone branded as a theif when they don't like itunes. Hmmm I get it. An itheif. Bahahaha
    Thank you this is exactly my point! I just can't say it very well.
    02-20-12 01:59 PM
    snip... I just can't say it very well.
    Probably due to youthful exuberance to get out an eye catching thread that attempts a slam at another product.

What non Apple device did you use to make this post.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02-20-12 at 02:16 PM.
    02-20-12 02:04 PM
    I just can't say it very well.
    Or seem to copy files well.
    02-20-12 02:08 PM
    Probably due to youthful exuberance to get out an eye catching thread that attempts a slam at another product.
    I really hope putting other people down elevates your ego! Good for you job well done.

The post was meant to see if other people felt the same way as I did. I don't think itunes is a product, rather a program that in this case is attached to many products that locks you in and forces you to use. I didn't put any apple products down, instead said I don't like the software.

For myself iTunes is Apple's downfall because it will eventually cause me to switch devices. I didn't say it WILL be Apples downfall. I can see that many people use iTunes and actually don't mind using it, so that's ok I'm glad that it works for some, just not for me.
    02-20-12 02:30 PM
    I really hope putting other people down elevates your ego! Good for you job well done.

The post was meant to see if other people felt the same way as I did. I don't think itunes is a product, rather a program that in this case is attached to many products that locks you in and forces you to use. I didn't put any apple products down, instead said I don't like the software.

For myself iTunes is Apple's downfall because it will eventually cause me to switch devices. I didn't say it WILL be Apples downfall. I can see that many people use iTunes and actually don't mind using it, so that's ok I'm glad that it works for some, just not for me.
    What you're not youthful and exuberant? My bad.
    02-20-12 02:39 PM
    You just made me feel a little stupid! haha I had to look up hyperbolic

I just read a full page of your posts and not one of them was for blackberry... all apple and android so this post doesn't surprise me one bit!

I know, this should be moved to the apple section as per the thread's title.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    02-20-12 02:53 PM

I didn't say it WILL be Apples downfall.
    Don't waffle.
    02-20-12 03:08 PM
    Well I'm generally speaking in the anti-itunes group. Not so much because it may be bloated and buggy software, but because I hate being forced to do things someone else's way. In this case living in Steve's world.

I'm with the people that think that dragging and dropping files using windows explorer is all that is needed in it's simple elegance. Even if you can drag and drop with itunes, why install another program that to do something the OS already does? Not to mention like others have stated, it often takes many more steps in itunes to do simple things.

I agree with deRusset that Apple had to launch itunes to support it's then infant media players, and it did as much or more to promote apple products as the hardware itself did, and like most apple products, itunes is designed for the novice electronics user. But like most novice oriented products they tend to off us power users.....

WMP may not be the best media player available but it works well enough for me, and more importantly it lets me do things my way, until Apple gets the picture that we all don't want to live in Steve's world, I'll never have itunes on my computer :-/

CS
    02-20-12 03:24 PM
    Well I'm generally speaking in the anti-itunes group. Not so much because it may be bloated and buggy software, but because I hate being forced to do things someone else's way. In this case living in Steve's world.

I'm with the people that think that dragging and dropping files using windows explorer is all that is needed in it's simple elegance. Even if you can drag and drop with itunes, why install another program that to do something the OS already does? Not to mention like others have stated, it often takes many more steps in itunes to do simple things.

I agree with deRusset that Apple had to launch itunes to support it's then infant media players, and it did as much or more to promote apple products as the hardware itself did, and like most apple products, itunes is designed for the novice electronics user. But like most novice oriented products they tend to off us power users.....

WMP may not be the best media player available but it works well enough for me, and more importantly it lets me do things my way, until Apple gets the picture that we all don't want to live in Steve's world, I'll never have itunes on my computer :-/

CS
    LOL "power users" and "simple elegance". It would seem something as iTunes would not defeat a power user. You can almost say Apple did not dumb down the process enough for the "power user". LOL
    02-20-12 03:39 PM
    Don't miss the latest "The Oatmeal" cartoon if you enjoy this topic. Too much for me to link, but you can find it.

I think Apple is happy to have the non-computer expert market (billions and billions and billions of dollars) and let the folks who think hierarchal directory structures are easier to fend for themselves.
    02-20-12 03:40 PM
    Itunes has nothing to do with DRM. So yes he would.
    Actually, by my count, iTunes isn't even used to sync photographs. On a Mac, it's iPhoto, and I imagine Windows uses similar photo management software.

Itunes is the very last software you want to try to use to steal anything.
    Umm, yeah, that's the point.

But what te OP I talking about is the sluggish nightware that you have to go tbru to use itunes to put a file on your device.
    Well then, there's an opportunity for competitors, right? Can you point to something that is both better and widely used? I can't. DoubleTwist doesn't have the legal content, Amazon doesn't have the management software

For myself iTunes is Apple's downfall because it will eventually cause me to switch devices. I didn't say it WILL be Apples downfall.
    You wrote "iTunes is Apple's downfall" as the thread title. Not "might be," not "would be," not "could be" and not "will." You also didn't use the phrases "for myself" or "for me." As a result, though you may have meant it "will" be "for you," that isn't what you wrote, and we aren't mind readers.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-20-12 03:42 PM
    Actually, by my count, iTunes isn't even used to sync photographs. On a Mac, it's iPhoto, and I imagine Windows uses similar photo management software.
    Umm, yeah, that's the point.
    Well then, there's an opportunity for competitors, right? Can you point to something that is both better and widely used? I can't. DoubleTwist doesn't have the legal content, Amazon doesn't have the management software
    Yes you use itunes to sync photos. Umm no your point was that you assumed the OP was trying to steal something. Which he snt. Again drm has nothing to do with itunes.
    I'm not sure what kind of software your talking about. So since we're in this thread I'm assuming your talking about interfacing idevices with pc. Here again copytrans and ifunbox is 2 that I use. They are explorer type interfaces to the idevices. They let you transfer media to and from pc and idevice. Backup/restore the device. They don't take all day to open up and you can manage the device how you see fit. Legal issues doesn't apply cause the OP isn't talking abouut doing something that's illegal. After all that's against the TOS and rules here on the forum. He's talking about inporting a legal file in itunes to put on a device. What part of this you don't understand boggles my mind.
    Look face it itunes isn't the nices software to having dealings with. I can see the OPs point of view an I agree. Itunes has prolly sent many idevice owners packing or unpacking rather. New other brand devices just to get away from itunes. I know a few people myself that has left apple because of itunes.
    It sppears to me that you've defined "downfall" as going out of business etc. I read that the OP really likes his apple devices right up until he has to use itunes then his experance "downfalls".
    kbz1960, alnamvet68 and shn'g like this.
    02-20-12 04:05 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD