Now I realize the title is a little extreme and many will call me out on this topic but this is just completely my own opinion. I am not an apple expert but use my Dad's iMac, I used to have an iPad, and currently have an iPhone 4. So I would say I am familiar enough with their products. So today I wanted to drop season 2 of Sherlock which is just 3 episodes on to my friends ipad so that he could watch it later. I connected it to his macbook pro and booted up itunes. For those who don't know you HAVE to use itunes for an idevice to transfer anything other than pictures. I could feel the back of my hairs standing up just clicking that itunes symbol! I clicked on the ipad which was then syncing all the apps bought (yup I know you can remove this automatic sync but still). This said it would take a few minutes but I waited 5 before saying forget this and hitting cancel... Apparently itunes doesn't understand cancel because it just stared back at me doing nothing! After waiting another couple minutes I gave up, dragged the files to his documents and told him he could put it on later when he had an hour to spare (maybe a bit of an exaggeration lol)

Even if I had gotten to putting the files on I would have had to drag the files from my stick into itunes, went into movies tab in the ipad section, hit the files in wanted and then finally hit sync. Am I the only one who thinks this is insane?

Bottom line for me itunes sucks! The playbook and any other device for that matter that has proper files and folders. 2 steps.. Drag and drop, not too hard! I think apple makes awesome products and I enjoy using them, but because of iTunes I am loosing interest and eventually will make me look to another device that makes my life just one step easier..
    Mattgtp and jordandrews90 like this.
    02-19-12 11:02 PM
    Now I realize the title is a little extreme and many will call me out on this topic but this is just completely my own opinion. I am not an apple expert but use my Dad's iMac, I used to have an iPad, and currently have an iPhone 4. So I would say I am familiar enough with their products. So today I wanted to drop season 2 of Sherlock which is just 3 episodes on to my friends ipad so that he could watch it later. I connected it to his macbook pro and booted up itunes. For those who don't know you HAVE to use itunes for an idevice to transfer anything other than pictures. I could feel the back of my hairs standing up just clicking that itunes symbol! I clicked on the ipad which was then syncing all the apps bought (yup I know you can remove this automatic sync but still). This said it would take a few minutes but I waited 5 before saying forget this and hitting cancel... Apparently itunes doesn't understand cancel because it just stared back at me doing nothing! After waiting another couple minutes I gave up, dragged the files to his documents and told him he could put it on later when he had an hour to spare (maybe a bit of an exaggeration lol)

Even if I had gotten to putting the files on I would have had to drag the files from my stick into itunes, went into movies tab in the ipad section, hit the files in wanted and then finally hit sync. Am I the only one who thinks this is insane?

Bottom line for me itunes sucks! The playbook and any other device for that matter that has proper files and folders. 2 steps.. Drag and drop, not too hard! I think apple makes awesome products and I enjoy using them, but because of iTunes I am loosing interest and eventually will make me look to another device that makes my life just one step easier..

Can you give TV content to another user? I thought that purchased video content could only be shared through the same iTunes log-in to keep folks from buying 1 copy and giving it to 1 million friends.

Someone help me out here.
    02-19-12 11:30 PM
    I can't stand itunes, I remember the first time I synced my ipod with a friends computer and all my songs were gone!!! My Bold 9700 replaced my ipod and although I enjoyed using it and it did work better then my Blackberry's media player most of the time I am happy because I hate itunes. It seems like no matter how amazing a computer is it takes forever to load and the interface is great but syncing is just terrible.
    That said I in no way believe that itunes is going to cause people to get rid of their idevices, atleast not a significant amount. This has been a problem for a long time with itunes and it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. Guess its a small sacrifice for the devices some people love. However we sacrifice with Blackberry because Desktop Manager is absolutely horrible in my opinion.

Well that's my $0.02
    Thanks
    02-19-12 11:44 PM
    Now that I have owned the PB, I have only used my PC on rare occasion over the past 6 months. Not even once in the past two months. The thought of having to be tied to a service such as iTunes is just rediculous.

I like how RIM is moving towards OTA ...Desktop Manager should be a last resort in the broader scope of things.

As transparent multi-processing DMP makes a stronger appearance on the QNX platform, I hope to not ever have to rely on a PC....OTA is where RIM is wisely moving. I would like to in the future see my PC as a central server I never have to be in the engaging presence of.(we have a taste of this with Remote Desktop etc). However I'd like to tuck my tower in a closet and not have to engage with it.

As DMP picks up steam on the platform and really introduces the power of QNX....All our devices in essence will be on one network(utilizing qnet), sharing hardware, driver and OS resources. This is going to allow for a world of remote connectivity like we haven't seen before.....Use your imagination. *

Apple users........Have fun with iTunes.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-20-12 at 12:09 AM.
    02-20-12 12:03 AM
    iTunes is f***ing terrible.
    02-20-12 12:57 AM
    Itunes to an apple user is like the vista security to a windows user "are you sure you want to proceed" lol

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-20-12 01:40 AM
    iTunes is my everything. I cant imagine what I would do without iTunes. Just sayin...
    02-20-12 08:06 AM
    I don't think my opinion is objective, iTunes manages everything effortlessly for me on four iPads, five Mac laptops, four iPhones, and six Apple TVs. So I'm biased.

Clearly, Apple and RIMM are pursuing different strategies. I guess we can just watch and see which strategy the market decides is superior.

I did LOL outloud at the ridiculously improbable hyperbolic thread title. Any day now, Apple will suffer for imposing iTunes on the self-declared experts... any day now, it's coming...
    Last edited by Palmless; 02-20-12 at 08:21 AM.
    vrs626 likes this.
    02-20-12 08:18 AM
    So people with several idevices have the same thing on every device? Different strokes for different folks. Don't know why I would need an exact copy of everything on everything. I don't use my tab the same as I do my phone or computer and all around.
    scott.slater likes this.
    02-20-12 08:35 AM
    Well, I don't have an iPhone or an iPad, but I do use iPods so I use iTunes. I love it.
    I also load my library into my BB fairly easily, were it not for the DRM files.
    02-20-12 08:35 AM
    iTunes works the way that it does so that people like you can't give out content to people who didn't pay for it. If you want to cheat the system then you have to work harder because all of these media companies that Apple has distribution rights for content with expect Apple to protect the content they are letting them distribute. I was able to drop a movie onto my iPod touch with no issues from my PC. It wouldn't let me hook it up to a friends PC to get content from them on their iTunes account. iTunes does what it does great, getting a user's content onto an iOS device, it was not designed to make moving pirated content around easily.
    vrs626, Yaceka and RetroAndreas like this.
    02-20-12 09:14 AM
    Serious question.

does Itunes do backup of data? or synching data, or is it only for media?
    02-20-12 09:16 AM
    iTunes works the way that it does so that people like you can't give out content to people who didn't pay for it. If you want to cheat the system then you have to work harder because all of these media companies that Apple has distribution rights for content with expect Apple to protect the content they are letting them distribute. I was able to drop a movie onto my iPod touch with no issues from my PC. It wouldn't let me hook it up to a friends PC to get content from them on their iTunes account. iTunes does what it does great, getting a user's content onto an iOS device, it was not designed to make moving pirated content around easily.
    Yes. Just as I thought. He/she and friend wants to steal content and now hate iTunes because it won't allow them to.

The world needs a do-over.

Nonsense Thread! Adios Amigos! Oh and Amigas!
    vrs626 and Yaceka like this.
    02-20-12 09:24 AM
    I hate using iTunes. I hate it so much.
    02-20-12 09:27 AM
    So if I buy a dvd and let a friend borrow it to watch I'm a pirate?
    02-20-12 09:33 AM
    nobody likes Itunes...its the consideration nobody thinks of with Apple products.
    02-20-12 09:54 AM
    So if I buy a dvd and let a friend borrow it to watch I'm a pirate?
    Of course not. Only one copy of that media can be watched at a given time. Not the same as a digital version of something that can be copied and put on to tons of devices and watched at the same time.
    02-20-12 10:01 AM
    OP tried to steal some TV episodes, and got defeated by ITunes copy protection...
    OP believes this is a great injustice, swears revenge on DRM, and believes this will lead to a complete collapse of Apples entire ecosystem.

Sure it will...

Move on folks, nothingto see here...

Protip: If steal, eh, sharing stuff is important to you OP, then just jailbreak it. You'll be able to download all the warez, movies etc. your heart desires. And you'll be able to use bit torrent, copy and drag files, and use third party programs instead of itunes.
    vrs626 and Yaceka like this.
    02-20-12 10:02 AM
    So people with several idevices have the same thing on every device? Different strokes for different folks. Don't know why I would need an exact copy of everything on everything. I don't use my tab the same as I do my phone or computer and all around.
    No. All content is seamlessly available on all machines, and only the content you want on each machine is loaded. iCloud makes it work OTA, or wired.
    02-20-12 10:07 AM
    I don't know if itunes will be Apple's downfall but it was damn near close the cause of mine!
    02-20-12 10:07 AM
    I never had a problem with iTunes. Works perfectly with my iDevices.
    02-20-12 10:10 AM
    iTunes was Apples triumph, I think it is the worst mainstream software in existence, but it was iTunes that made the mediocre iPod a Portable music sensation, it was iTunes, that redefined digital distribution and leveraged Apple into the for front of consumer products. the iPod wasn't even in the top 10 quality hardware devices on the market when it launched, but it was the only one with a music ecosystem, and an advertising budget.

iTunes was also Apples way of creating the Manufacturer getting a cut of software on it's platform, the App Store within iTunes was another brilliant move into vendor lock in that Apple has loved since long before portable music players.

Apples downfall, will probably come at the hand of something tied into iTunes, a hole that someone breaks to gain access to peoples bank information, or personal information leaks, but because you couldn't get the content you want, and use it how you want doesn't mean iTunes is Apples downfall.
    02-20-12 10:16 AM
    Of course not. Only one copy of that media can be watched at a given time. Not the same as a digital version of something that can be copied and put on to tons of devices and watched at the same time.
    Hummm so if you have the copy synced and on 3 of your apple devices and you watch on the phone while your sister watches on your ipad and your nephew is watching on your ipod that isn't the same. You can all watch them at the same time or at different times. So does apple only allow you to watch on one at a time? You actually have the file on 3 devices or if you're using the cloud I guess it is in one place.

I would rather have my stuff on my device rather than on a cloud. Being in the cloud might be nice for home internet but when you have to use your data plan to send and retrieve your stuff from the cloud I can see gb's gone in no time esp. when your talking movies.
    02-20-12 10:19 AM
    I hate iTunes but I don't think it will be Apples downfall. I'm sure Apple will be successful for awhile.
    02-20-12 10:20 AM
    Hummm so if you have the copy synced and on 3 of your apple devices and you watch on the phone while your sister watches on your ipad and your nephew is watching on your ipod that isn't the same. You can all watch them at the same time or at different times. So does apple only allow you to watch on one at a time? You actually have the file on 3 devices or if you're using the cloud I guess it is in one place.

I would rather have my stuff on my device rather than on a cloud. Being in the cloud might be nice for home internet but when you have to use your data plan to send and retrieve your stuff from the cloud I can see gb's gone in no time esp. when your talking movies.
    You can view/listen to the content on whatever devices it's loaded on at any time. Even items streamed from the "cloud" are downloaded, and even if multiple users on an account select the same song at once they can all download regardless of what anyone else is doing. Keep in mind that no one is forced to use iCloud for music; if they prefer they can continue to sync the same way they always have (or if it's an iOS device, they can also completely avoid iTunes syncing).
    02-20-12 10:26 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD