I've been a member here longer than most but it is getting increasingly weird in here. Every day there is a new thread about how we are fighting the good fight and that RIM is saving the world. People need to get a grip, it's just phones and not that big of a deal.
    Last edited by donnation; 04-19-12 at 02:31 AM.
    MrRJ, mzceetee, brucep1 and 9 others like this.
    04-19-12 02:29 AM
    Yeah. It's so weird to want your favorite phone manufacturer to succeed so they can continue to make devices that better and improve our everyday lives. Really irrational stuff.
    04-19-12 03:29 AM
    i thought marvel avengers were saving the world..." aaarh..why no netflix!!! Hulk sad "
    MrRJ likes this.
    04-19-12 03:43 AM
    let alone the pin/barcode sharing from random horny guys -.-
    04-19-12 05:17 AM
    Well that's nothing new.

Yes, I would say it is polarized in here now. Some angst and some needless fighting. But mostly still a great place for BlackBerry users and those interested in.
    Spencerdl and mzceetee like this.
    04-19-12 06:35 AM
    Visit other sites, its even worse in other forums. Mods there will warn you anyone needing to be spoonfed will be banned. CB is and always will be my home!
    mzceetee likes this.
    04-19-12 09:40 AM
    Yeah. It's so weird to want your favorite phone manufacturer to succeed so they can continue to make devices that better and improve our everyday lives. Really irrational stuff.
    Hahaha. Love it.
    04-19-12 09:58 AM
    We're fighting back against the illusion of choice...and the sinister forces that want to see Apple be the first Trillion dollar company...and the D-bags at CNET

You, OP, remember this forum when BB was king
    04-19-12 10:11 AM
    Forums/post-able areas as a general thing have become increasingly hostile. Not just here. People are off their friggin rockers and feel comfortable being jerky from behind keyboards. Someone needs to pull a Jay and Silent Bob track people down and beat some a$$. Just so we can regain some 'sanity'.
    04-19-12 10:23 AM
    Nope, it's not. I want RIM to succeed as well. The problem with many people on this forum (and many others) is that the fans treat this like war. It's just a bunch of companies trying to make some money. RIM, Apple and Google are not our saviors. They just make products we like.

We're fighting back against the illusion of choice...and the sinister forces that want to see Apple be the first Trillion dollar company...and the D-bags at CNET

You, OP, remember this forum when BB was king
    Illusion of choice? I think everyone who goes out to buy a device can see the many choices they have. I think people who visit this forum know what choices they had when buying a smartphone.

You are fighting back against people who want Apple to be the first trillion dollar company? Why? Who cares? Honestly, it is crap like this that is what's wrong with this forum.

You do realize Apple is much more than a smartphone manufacturer right? You do know that many BB users and fans here are also Apple fans right? Why do you have to hate on other companies just to show your "love" and "pride" for RIM? It's pretty sad.

Also, you do realize you brought up Apple in the thread before anyone else did right? You complain about how every single thread gets turned into an Apple thread, and you are the first to bring it up. Amazing.
    04-19-12 11:11 AM
    i own an ipad and a much loved BB phone, every device has place of pride.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    donnation likes this.
    04-19-12 11:21 AM
    Forums/post-able areas as a general thing have become increasingly hostile. Not just here. People are off their friggin rockers and feel comfortable being jerky from behind keyboards. Someone needs to pull a Jay and Silent Bob track people down and beat some a$$. Just so we can regain some 'sanity'.
    *waits for someone to call someone else a pair of clownshoes*

Lord I love that movie.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 04-19-12 at 01:03 PM.
    04-19-12 11:31 AM
    I've been away for a while, but I've noticed things haven't changed too much. People are just arguing about different things - but they're still arguing just about as much.
    04-19-12 11:48 AM
    I've been away for a while, but I've noticed things haven't changed too much. People are just arguing about different things - but they're still arguing just about as much.
    You're right. The old Storm forums were pretty hostile back in the day.
    soogriff and timberdc like this.
    04-19-12 11:49 AM
    Wait, they're random now?
    04-19-12 11:53 AM
    I've been a member here longer than most but it is getting increasingly weird in here. Every day there is a new thread about how we are fighting the good fight and that RIM is saving the world. People need to get a grip, it's just phones and not that big of a deal.
    Maybe we are just running out of constructive things to talk about.
    04-19-12 11:56 AM
    Back then RIM wasn't as dead as they are said to be now LOL. The thing that wouldn't die.
    04-19-12 12:00 PM
    The natives are restless, c'ap'n....
    04-19-12 12:11 PM
    About 5 or 6 years ago, this statement might have been true, but it's not necessarily true any more. When the original Motorola Razr was all the rage, there were people who also loved their Samsung (or whatever brand) flip phones. Despite whatever kind of allegance they felt, if they needed to switch phones or carriers, for whatever reason, you would just go to the phone store, pick your new phone, migrate the contacts and you're back in business. You'd spend maybe a hour walking through the features of the new phone, but the functionality was basically the same. But today, things are different. With the propogation of smartphones, there is much more at stake in terms of changing devices.

Apple, Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone 7 all have diferent workflows associated with them. Switching from one to another (especially for the not-quite-tech-savy users) will involve more than just the hour to come up to speed. The paradigms are very different and with the addition of all sorts of new data services available, switching also involves more than just contacts migrations. Depending on the platform, you now have to think about choice of PIM clients and how to migrate data beyond contacts.

And then there's the social ecosystems. While most people use the platform-agnostic social tools (Facebook, Twitter, etc), there are social apps that are specific to each platform. If your friends/coworkers/associates actively use BBM, then you'll have to find alternate means to stay in touch if you need to switch to another platform. If you are an iPhone user, you probably rely on iMessage and so switching to Blackberry becomes a challenge.

But one of the biggest differences between now and a few years ago is the investment in the platform. In a tough economy, it's hard to justify the replacement of ancillaries just to switch platforms. It used to be that you'd buy a new phone, maybe a case, and a car charger and you're done. If you replaced your device, you'd need a new case, but there's a good chance your old charger worked with your new phone. Today, the investment in a device is much more significant. Accessories are expensive - probably more expensive than they used to be. But on top of this, there's the investment in the ecosystem of the platform. If you use an iPhone, you'll probably have to think twice about adandoning your investment in music from iTunes. If you use a Blackberry or Android phone, you have to think about repurchasing apps to give you similar functionality on your new device.

And then there's the investment in time to incorporate the device into your normal daily workflow. The ramp up period can cause stress because your workflow is constantly interupted by having to stop and search for functionality that your fingers used to perform without thought.

It used to be that you could just buy a new phone, migrate your contacts, and be up and running. Today, while the carriers will try to convince you that you can be migrated quickly and easity, they're less likely to inform you what data you will lose in the transition and what re-purchases you are going to have to make.

Because of all of this, it is 'just a phone'. But the 'smarter' these devices become, the bigger deal it becomes.
    04-19-12 12:14 PM
    It kinda reminds me of the webos forums before HP pulled the plug. There was a lot of people hopeful and waiting for the pre3 to be the savior of webos, while others were getting tired of waiting for new handsets while their original pre's were falling apart and began looking at other devices, and of course the occasional troll coming in talking about how webos is garbage, bla, bla, bla, and flame wars commence. Hopefully things won't end up the same here and bb10 devices come out and are great.
    04-19-12 12:45 PM
    Nope, it's not. I want RIM to succeed as well. The problem with many people on this forum (and many others) is that the fans treat this like war. It's just a bunch of companies trying to make some money. RIM, Apple and Google are not our saviors. They just make products we like.
    I don't know. It would be nice to think that those companies actually care about the consumers view of them and show it through the products they make. It would be nice to think that of any company that we buy things from, any manufacturer that we are brand loyal to. I mean it has to be partially true, there has to be some type of passion to produce good products that they know their consumers will love, that they thought about us when they put their ideas into these products. Isn't that what the point is of getting into something you want to do in life? Isn't that the dream we all strive for is being happy that we get to be apart of mass producing or helping the means of something we love? I mean I guess we're just in that day and age where everyone's self centeredness and eagerness to make a buck has overcome passion and desire to do what it is that they love. But I guess that's another discussion in itself.

I'm not trying to be on my soap box here, but I think this topic is too underlooked. If phones were gone in the morning the world would lose their minds.
    Last edited by yogii757; 04-19-12 at 01:29 PM.
    04-19-12 01:24 PM
    *waits for someone to call someone else a pair of clownshoes*

Lord I love that movie.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    One of my faves too. Who could forget CockKnocker?!?! Hahaha!
    04-19-12 03:01 PM
    I don't know. It would be nice to think that those companies actually care about the consumers view of them and show it through the products they make. It would be nice to think that of any company that we buy things from, any manufacturer that we are brand loyal to. I mean it has to be partially true, there has to be some type of passion to produce good products that they know their consumers will love, that they thought about us when they put their ideas into these products. Isn't that what the point is of getting into something you want to do in life? Isn't that the dream we all strive for is being happy that we get to be apart of mass producing or helping the means of something we love? I mean I guess we're just in that day and age where everyone's self centeredness and eagerness to make a buck has overcome passion and desire to do what it is that they love. But I guess that's another discussion in itself.
    Of course they want to produce good products and they all do (hopefully) listen to their customers. Customer loyalty is one thing, always thinking it's war is another.

I'm not trying to be on my soap box here, but I think this topic is too underlooked. If phones were gone in the morning the world would lose their minds.
    Totally agreed.
    04-19-12 03:23 PM
    Also, regardless whether one takes the whole platform vs platform thing more serious than another, we're all on the same team here correct? We all support the same cause at the end of the day. Some just feel more passionately about it than others.
    04-19-12 04:03 PM
    Also, regardless whether one takes the whole platform vs platform thing more serious than another, we're all on the same team here correct? We all support the same cause at the end of the day. Some just feel more passionately about it than others.

Therefore, in the spirit of passion, we all understand that tempers will flare from time to time. The fact that such dialogue can be had in the first place ought to be celebrated. Some posts are unpleasant, but most are inspired, conducive to thought and loyalty building.

#BlackBerryTorchBearer
    04-19-12 04:19 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD