but there is dispute that the current RIM offerings don't fall short. Everything I want a smart phone to do can be done and done easily on my Bold 9700. If there were features I needed that the Bold could not offer, I'd move to something else. It's all about personal choice.
    You do realize that you basically just reinforced howarmat's point, right?
    01-12-11 12:42 PM
    but there is dispute that the current RIM offerings don't fall short. Everything I want a smart phone to do can be done and done easily on my Bold 9700. If there were features I needed that the Bold could not offer, I'd move to something else. It's all about personal choice.
    lmao it doesnt work like that. you cannot dispute that current RIM phones do not have certain features that other phones have. just because you might not use those extra features doesnt mean they dont exist
    01-12-11 12:57 PM
    lmao it doesnt work like that. you cannot dispute that current RIM phones do not have certain features that other phones have. just because you might not use those extra features doesnt mean they dont exist
    I'm not disputing that other phones have features that RIM phones don't. Other phones don't have BBM or true push email. That doesn't mean they are not good phones, it just makes them different. The phone I choose will be the phone that has the features that are important to me. Why do we need all these threads about RIM and their phones being inferior?
    01-12-11 01:03 PM
    you said "That is the reason why many of us left and moved to something that was offering more features and better hardware for the same price as RIM offerings". What you're not taking into consideration is that it is YOUR opinion that "something different has more features and better hardware", many that are with RIM still thing that their hardware and features are just fine. It's all a matter of opinion. Doesn't make yours right. If I choose to buy a Sony t.v. rather than a Panasonic because I believe Sony has better hardware and more features, does that mean Panasonic isn't a good t.v.?
    You read what I am saying wrong. I never said that RIMs offerings can't do what you want or need.

There is no debating this. Every RIM device out is using outdated hardware. It may work great for you, but in the world of technology, the hardware is old. Their flagship device doesn't even offer a GPU. Almost every single low end device from other manufacturers have a GPU. Their flagship device is using a 2 year old low res screen.

Just because it is old does not mean it does not work well for you. But just because it works well for you does not mean you should have to pay a premium for old hardware. No matter how much you like it, that should not justify the price. Yes as long as you are happy that is all that matters, but you would be even happier if it was cheaper. There is no way 2 year old hardware should be priced the same way as brand new top of the line tech. That is absurd. The Storm is still $199 on a 2 year deal with VZW. There are devices that are priced exactly the same that run circles around the Storm. You think the Storm should still be worth the same price with outdated tech?
    01-12-11 01:08 PM
    The dispute is that RIMs current offerings fall short when compared to the competition. No one is saying they fall short for certain users.

I have used BBs for a few years, iPhone for a few years and Android for over a year. RIM falls short when compared to what the competition is offering. Software wise and hardware wise you are getting more for your dollar fromt he competition from a consumer standpoint.
    01-12-11 01:10 PM
    I'm not disputing that other phones have features that RIM phones don't. Other phones don't have BBM or true push email. That doesn't mean they are not good phones, it just makes them different. The phone I choose will be the phone that has the features that are important to me. Why do we need all these threads about RIM and their phones being inferior?
    Other phones do have push email. BBM is proprietary software. BBM is only used by BB users. To the majority of the smartphone market, BBM does not matter. Don't get me wrong, BBM is great if you use it and know a lot of people who use it as well. But the fact is more people text message and use other IM services than BBM.

No one is arguing that the phone you chose isn't right for you or the feature you need are not important. It is a fact that RIMs hardware is inferior and they are lacking software features that other platforms have. QNX is going to change this though.

You see all these threads because people want to see RIM innovate again. They want to see RIM compete again. RIM is not pushing the bar at all and watching the competition advance. You think that is a good thing for consumers, where competition drives innovation?

Enjoy your BB. No one is saying not to. People who like RIM would just like to see them offer something similar to what the competition can do while offering the features RIM excels in as well.
    iN8ter likes this.
    01-12-11 01:18 PM
    Other phones do have push email. BBM is proprietary software. BBM is only used by BB users. To the majority of the smartphone market, BBM does not matter. Don't get me wrong, BBM is great if you use it and know a lot of people who use it as well. But the fact is more people text message and use other IM services than BBM.

No one is arguing that the phone you chose isn't right for you or the feature you need are not important. It is a fact that RIMs hardware is inferior and they are lacking software features that other platforms have. QNX is going to change this though.

You see all these threads because people want to see RIM innovate again. They want to see RIM compete again. RIM is not pushing the bar at all and watching the competition advance. You think that is a good thing for consumers, where competition drives innovation?

Enjoy your BB. No one is saying not to. People who like RIM would just like to see them offer something similar to what the competition can do while offering the features RIM excels in as well.
    well said, and echos my sentiments.
    01-12-11 01:41 PM
    I don't need bells and whistles. I just want a good browser, emails that aren't truncated, less bugs and a bigger screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The browser is horrible. OS 6 was supposed to be a fix and it isn't. Worse RIM has stated OS 6 is a stop gap. Meaning no sane developer is going to spend much effort to make third party apps. In business one must evolve or go out of business. Many fans of RIM keep saying this is good enough. Android and Apple are not standing still, they offer users more and more with each iteration. RIM basically warms over he same device. If VZW had not crippled my 8330, it would substantially be the same as my 9650.

01-12-11 03:28 PM
    The browser is horrible. OS 6 was supposed to be a fix and it isn't. Worse RIM has stated OS 6 is a stop gap. Meaning no sane developer is going to spend much effort to make third party apps. In business one must evolve or go out of business. Many fans of RIM keep saying this is good enough. Android and Apple are not standing still, they offer users more and more with each iteration. RIM basically warms over he same device. If VZW had not crippled my 8330, it would substantially be the same as my 9650.

The browser in OS6 is horrible compared to what? It's better than any other BB browser (which admittedly isn't saying much). I find it comparable to my wife's iPhone, sometimes quicker. Yes there are devices with better browsers; but this one is far from horrible. Signal reception on my BB is consistently better. Battery life is better. My phone is reliable and very user-friendly; I can't think of much I'd really do to improve it. Believe it or not, there are quite a few other BB users out there who feel the same way.

RIM IS evolving their business. Just because you're not seeing new devices every month doesn't mean they're standing still. Remember, Android is practically brand new, and there are several manufacturers using it; of course you're going to see all kinds of innovation as they all discover new stuff to do with it. It's the new kid on the block, everybody's curious about it, it's selling great, and it had a major impact on the smart phone market.

As for OS6 being a stop-gap, would you have prefered they introduce nothing until QNX is ready for the field in smart phones? They also acquired TAT. Fruits from that move also won't happen overnight, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that whatever comes from that will be pretty slick.

And the complaints about the lack of new devices shouldn't all be directed at RIM; a lot of it has to do with what they can (and can NOT) negotiate with the carriers. I'm sure RIM would love to have had a CDMA version of the Torch, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Maybe they just felt it wasn't worth the fight for whatever concessions Verizon was demanding, maybe Verizon figures hey, we've got Androids coming out the wazoo and an iPhone right around the corner, we don't need no stinking BlackBerry's. Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

All I can say is, RIM is not sitting still. Be a little patient, new goodies are definitely coming. When they do and they still don't live up to expectations, well, then there should be a lot of griping, and RIM will deserve it. If you can't wait until then and your current BB is just intolerably insufficient for you, well, there are plenty of choices to hold you over.
    rick0415 and Ferretling like this.
    01-12-11 04:35 PM
    Nevermind.

Too many excuses. You've exhausted me.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-13-11 at 01:48 AM.
    01-13-11 01:42 AM
    I've been patient. I've had my 9630 for two years. Decent phone for that time. Time to upgrade, I want more features and a better browser. Now new BlackBerry. Upgrade to Android. Simple. I'll check out the new BlackBerry phones in 2013.

Last edited by chrisy520; 01-13-11 at 03:43 AM.
    01-13-11 03:39 AM
111 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD