My BB 8700 has a nasty habit of initiating calls on its own when I put it back in the holster. The problem seems to be that the phone button must get pushed twice and it calls back the last caller.

My wife has heard me singing in the car (awful experience) and ordering food while traveling (good food though).

The greater concern is if I unknowingly call back a client or boss.

I suppose I could lock the BB every time prior to putting in the holster but that is a pain.

Anyone have any other ideas to keep this from happening?

Thank you!
    03-12-08 11:17 AM
    I am betting you place your BB in the holster facing OUT (away from the belt).

Begin placing it in the holster facing INward, toward you. That will clear up 99% of your ghost calls.
    03-12-08 11:22 AM
    lol i love pockets calls ill call some one and then look at my call log and o i called him wow i havent talked to him in 3 weeks
    03-12-08 11:34 AM
    I am betting you place your BB in the holster facing OUT (away from the belt).

Begin placing it in the holster facing INward, toward you. That will clear up 99% of your ghost calls.
    No, it faces inward. Perhaps the multiple love handle fat rolls catch it on the way down.
    03-12-08 11:54 AM
    Any other ideas about how to solve this dialing dilemmma?
    03-12-08 03:00 PM
    Can you lock it or something for when you put it into the holster? Or put it on standby?
    03-12-08 03:12 PM
    when you put it in the holster shouldn't it put it to sleep so it can't make calls? or are you using a non-BB holster that doesn't have a magnet?
    you could always lock the keyboard or put it in standby mode.
    03-12-08 03:21 PM
    Yes, it is an official Blackberry holster.

Locking it each time I put in in the holster should work, it is just a bit of a pain.

It seems that the dialing happens prior to it going into sleep mode when going into the holster.

Does anyone know if the phone button can be disabled?
    03-12-08 03:39 PM
    Man I wish my blackberry would make some calls for me too. There's a bunch of people who I don't always want to talk to.
    03-12-08 04:28 PM
    I have the same problem. I ended up just locking it before I holster it. I put one of those rubberized skins on the phone and it gets hung up when I was putting it in or pulling it out of the holster. The only way I found to avoid making calls was to lock it. I also changed the phone configuration so I could make calls when it was locked so I could use my bluetooth earpiece to make calls still without unlocking it. That feature is available on the 8830 but not sure if it is on the other Blackberrys. I also had to disable the convienence key because it was always starting something when going into the holster.
    03-12-08 05:45 PM
    I have the same problem. I ended up just locking it before I holster it. I put one of those rubberized skins on the phone and it gets hung up when I was putting it in or pulling it out of the holster. The only way I found to avoid making calls was to lock it. I also changed the phone configuration so I could make calls when it was locked so I could use my bluetooth earpiece to make calls still without unlocking it. That feature is available on the 8830 but not sure if it is on the other Blackberrys. I also had to disable the convienence key because it was always starting something when going into the holster.
    JC,

Thank you for your ideas.

How did you disable the convenience key? That may solve my problem.
    03-12-08 07:00 PM
    Man I wish my blackberry would make some calls for me too. There's a bunch of people who I don't always want to talk to.
    Pooger,

You are a hoot!
    03-12-08 07:01 PM
    My phone was calling people. Since I work all night, that's a bit of a problem (my buddy thought it was funny, but his wife was screaming at me at 230am)
    I set my phone to lock upon holstering and when I use it a lot, I slip it into my front pocket. You may need to enable the password if you tend to make "emergency calls" still.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-08 08:50 PM
    Scariest thought that someone can hear you unknowingly ={
    03-13-08 08:35 AM
    JC,

Thank you for your ideas.

How did you disable the convenience key? That may solve my problem.
    On the 8830 it is located at:

Options->Screen/Keyboard

Scroll down till you find Convenience Key Opens and select Nothing.
    03-13-08 12:15 PM
    I know you said locking it each time is a pain - but I've had similar situations when I just drop my BB in my purse (aka my bottomless pit of things I "might" need). I've just moved my "Lock" button to the home screen so that is is easy to access.
    03-13-08 08:40 PM
    i got into the habit of putting my phone under my pillow when i sleep because i use it as an alarm. but once my bf and i were....well you know....and it called my little sister. after we were done my bf was like "your phone is flashing". i found a text saying "i just heard you." it wasnt very fun. locking the keys is DEF a good idea.
    03-13-08 10:38 PM
    ooooopppppssss
    03-13-08 10:57 PM
    Thank God for the tip. I always place my BB facing out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-08 11:34 PM
    i got into the habit of putting my phone under my pillow when i sleep because i use it as an alarm. but once my bf and i were....well you know....and it called my little sister. after we were done my bf was like "your phone is flashing". i found a text saying "i just heard you." it wasnt very fun. locking the keys is DEF a good idea.
    Man, hate it when that happens! LOL
    03-14-08 01:18 AM
    ^^yeah just lock it using the convenience key
    03-14-08 02:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD